Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2022, 11:12   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Night driving glass (anti-glare, polarized) recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Thanks for the super relevant links. The options seem super expensive -- and having lost good money on progressive lens to which I could never adjust, wary of going down the Carl Zeiss route, however it is still good to know that solution exists.

Actually, I had found a very mildly yellow-tinted polarized, zero-power pair of shades in US (more than a decade back), which served me well there and few years in India unless they were stolen.

I've been looking for similar glasses ever since, without managing to find them. The polarized glasses available s.a. from Fasttrac or RayBan are pretty decent, but most of them come with very strong tint, which makes them useless for night-driving.

Progressives lenses are called so, as in one single lenses ( normal initial spectacle wearers, up to the age of 35-40-45 need glasses only for distance) there is a progression of added powers for intermediate and near vision.
Thereby enabling you to see clearly any point. Far, intermediate and near.

The design of the progressive lenses will have distortions on the lower peripheral and to the nasal side of the lenses. So if you keep your head straight and just roll your eyes to the left or right, you might find it blurred.
This distortion is individual to each brand, manufacturer, etc.. Now the designs are almost common across manufacturers.

However please note that it is of utmost importance to get your measurements right for progressive lenses.

1. Pupillary Distance : The distance between the center of right and left pupil
This is different for both near and far distance. Both need to be accounted for the precision fit. As when you read, your eyes converge and PD will differ.

2. Fitting Height : The distance between the center of the pupil to the bottom of the lenses on the selected frame. Most opticians will suggest lenses based on the selected frame and fitting height and your individual vision needs.

3. Back Vertex Distance : Distance from the cornea to the back surface of the spectacle lenses

4. Pantoscopic Tilt : The tilt angle from the bottom to top of the selected frame when it sits on your face.

5. Wrap Angle : Horizontal angle of the lens in front of the eyes

6. Inset : the horizontal shift of the reading area towards the nasal side of the lens with respect to the distance reference point

7. Reading Distance : The individual reading distance that you are confy with.

There are a few more for propoerly individualised lenses.

However if the optician is able to measure 1, 2 and 6, you will mostly end up being comfortable with your progressives.
Else,..... Do you know that in some countries... lets leave it at that.

www.acep.tech

Last edited by beejay : 19th November 2022 at 11:17.
Old 19th November 2022, 11:20   #92
BHPian

Re: Driving Lenses - Zeiss DriveSafe Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshCNair View Post
I got super excited after reading this review and immediately placed an order for Zeiss Drivesafe lenses through Titan Eye+. It was around 5k for two Lenses. I recently purchased a VW Virtus, and planned to wear this during night drives, as the High Beam glare is always a pain point for me. My eyes are having normal sight (6/6), not wearing any glasses till now.
If you are not wearing any glasses drivesafe lenses are not going to improve anything. Nothing is better than your naked eyes. It is better for those people who wear glasses and compared other lenses.

Those who have Normal vision and think Drivesafe lenses are going to improve your night vision is wrong. You are adding a layer of additional material in front of your eyes, how exceptionally engineered that may be. That will introduce some glare, internal reflection etc, however small it may be, which will not be there with your naked eyes. So those fortunate people without glasses just wash your eyes with water before drive and during long drive. Use a lubricating eye drop if required and enjoy unobstructed vision till you can.
archat68 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 16:27   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
If you are not wearing any glasses drivesafe lenses are not going to improve anything. Nothing is better than your naked eyes. It is better for those people who wear glasses and compared other lenses.

I do not agree as have personally tried both since I have hyperopia, so have tried driving with and without glasses. With transition lenses by Essilor which I am using since the last three years the glare is cut and helps us drive peacefully and can easily view all the surroundings.
Old 29th November 2022, 12:18   #94
BHPian

Went to the nearest Titan Eye plus store to check the Zeiss Drive safe .

I do not wear spectacles now even though i have a power of 0.5 since some time.

I went to the store expecting a huge difference like the high beams will start looking like a simple dot after seeing through this lens.

But realized it doesn't work like that.

The lens cuts down the intensity of the high beam. For example , you might not be able to look into a high beam now without getting blinded momentarily.
Once you put on the lens, you can look directly into the high beam and it wont hurt your vision.

All in all a good lens to invest in if there are good offers.
callmeneo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 23:20   #95

I have heard about Zeiss Drivesafe for night driving and thanks for your input as it helps with buying decision. However i spend a lot of time in front of the laptop. Here my regular blue filter lens does a good job. Will zeiss drivesafe provide me equal comfort ? (blue filter)
Old 13th January 2023, 08:29   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayhazarika View Post
However i spend a lot of time in front of the laptop. Here my regular blue filter lens does a good job. Will zeiss drivesafe provide me equal comfort ? (blue filter)
Yes,DriveSafe comes with blue filter and is good for screen glares as well.
sarathlal is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 20:37   #97
BHPian

So, being a specs wearer for 20 years now, and having so bad an eyesight that I can't see the number made by hand from 6 meters distance, I saved the thought of "Zeiss Drive Safe" looking at this thread. After a good while, now as I decided to get a new pair of glasses, I wanted to get these.

Apparently, there are two products.

One is a standard Zeiss lens with a DriveSafe coating.
The other is a proper full-fledged DriveSafe lens.

Irrespective of the power : (mine is ~ 5.75 one eye and 5.5 other ; including cylinder)
Having such high powers, I had to go with the 1.67 index version for a "not ugly looking" specs

The standard lens with a DriveSafe coating is quoted at INR 5.5k for the 1.67 index version.
The full-fledged DriveSafe lens is quoted at INR 15.8k for the 1.67 index version ; INR ~12K for 1.6 index version and INR ~9K for 1.5 index version.

I have placed an order for the full-fledged drive safe one. Shall update on how it feels, specially having been away from premium lens for 2 years, I hope to see a good difference.

Planning to order the Zeiss standard lens with DriveSafe coating for another specs. So, should be able to compare both of them in real-life.

From what limited text I have read, the DriveSafe coating is more or less like an anti-glare coating. However, the actual DriveSafe lens has some two or three tricks up it's sleeve, like helping the user shift focus faster from the road to the dash and vice-versa. Reducing glare (which the coating also does). And something to do with vision at night. Let's see and hope for the best, as a lot of hard-earned buck has gone into this.
saisailendra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 23:25   #98
BHPian

Hi guys, need some serious advice regarding these glasses. I underwent Cataract surgery last year and got the Multifocal IOL’s planted on both my eyes. The thing is I am just 26 y/o and the ophthalmologist have planted a sub-par quality IOL in my eyes. Now after a year of surgery, by every passing day my Halo’s are increasing. Getting the lenses replaced is not an option as this could lead to permanent vision loss.

I recently went to Sankara Bangalore, after multiple consultations, and the Doctor there have recommended me to get photochromicatic glasses or glasses made out of a couple of ND Filters but even they won’t help me much in night driving as they would reduce the brightness of the surrounding.

While browsing I came across these Driving lens by Zeiss. I need your opinions regarding this product.

Can you please comment on how significant is this product in reducing glare and Halo’s? Only my night vision is hampered and so I’ll only be needing them while driving to cut the ambient lights and light from oncoming traffic. Anything I should know before getting these glasses or any better alternatives that anyone can suggest?

In dire need of help. Thank you very much already!

Last edited by Venkygupta : 23rd May 2023 at 23:33.
Old 24th May 2023, 00:29   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

I got a spec pair made of Zeiss DriveSafe lenses at the nearby Titan eyeplus store and have used it for 10 days now. Compared to my usual anti glare lenses, these are slightly better at cutting the light glare (probably 10-20% but not more). I need to take a long drive to see if they make significant difference over time.

My eyes are very sensitive to glare and they do tire out with frequent high beams of oncoming traffic.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 10:03   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisailendra View Post
So, being a specs wearer for 20 years now, and having so bad an eyesight that I can't see the number made by hand from 6 meters distance, I saved the thought of "Zeiss Drive Safe" looking at this thread. After a good while, now as I decided to get a new pair of glasses, I wanted to get these.

Irrespective of the power : (mine is ~ 5.75 one eye and 5.5 other ; including cylinder)
Having such high powers, I had to go with the 1.67 index version for a "not ugly looking" specs

The standard lens with a DriveSafe coating is quoted at INR 5.5k for the 1.67 index version.
The full-fledged DriveSafe lens is quoted at INR 15.8k for the 1.67 index version ; INR ~12K for 1.6 index version and INR ~9K for 1.5 index version.

I have placed an order for the full-fledged drive safe one. Shall update on how it feels, specially having been away from premium lens for 2 years, I hope to see a good difference.

Planning to order the Zeiss standard lens with DriveSafe coating for another specs. So, should be able to compare both of them in real-life.

From what limited text I have read, the DriveSafe coating is more or less like an anti-glare coating. However, the actual DriveSafe lens has some two or three tricks up it's sleeve, like helping the user shift focus faster from the road to the dash and vice-versa. Reducing glare (which the coating also does). And something to do with vision at night. Let's see and hope for the best, as a lot of hard-earned buck has gone into this.
You can try this as have been using since the last three year (my post #93)
https://www.essilorindia.com/products/driving-glasses
ACMerchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 11:44   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I got a spec pair made of Zeiss DriveSafe lenses at the nearby Titan eyeplus store and have used it for 10 days now. Compared to my usual anti glare lenses, these are slightly better at cutting the light glare (probably 10-20% but not more).
After a long drive, I will stick to my stand - these lens are only marginally better than standard anti glare ones. One shouldn't expect drastic cut down in glare from the new-gen LED lights. That said, for sensitive eyes, even some help is welcome.

I shared my experience briefly here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5573781 (On the blinding headlights of new vehicles)

Couple of days ago, I found these marks on both the lens. Only show up when seen at a particular angle
Driving Lenses - Zeiss DriveSafe Review-20230709_112620.jpg
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 23:27   #102
BHPian

So, I have used these lenses for a good 2.5 months now. My observations :
  • They are reasonably good while driving.
  • They look really posh. They've got a blue reflection and that is very conspicuous, that too from both front and back. They scream quality in the face !
  • The Zeiss Logo and our name / initials being on the lens is fancy.
  • The place where I could notice a significant difference is when we drive against the sun. The glare is near zero compared to other lenses I have used till date (Local, Crizals). Whenever I drive/ride against the sun, I feel "Okay, money well spent."

So, Are they good ?
Yes, they are great.

Are they worth the price ?
Maybe. For me, spectacles are a part of me. Without them, I can barely see. So, I do not mind spending money on them.
saisailendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 18:25   #103
BHPian

I have been wearing glasses for last 4 decades. I go for annual check ups every year and I always never compromise on the latest technology available in the market and change my lens and frame whenever the readings change requiring to have new lens (once in few years). I have my sun glasses also being done as per my prescription.

Last year, I was told that I needed cataract during the routine yearly check up. As usual, I wanted the latest technology available in the world. I did some research on the internet and took an appointment with the CMO of Sankara in Bangalore. It was an eye opening experience which I can never forget. I told the Doctor, I want the best multi focal imported lens to be implanted in cataract. He asked me about my life style like IT field working on laptop for 10 hours a day, lot of driving in day and night time for long distances and about my retirement etc

The Doctor told me that in the world of eye care in last 50 years, the technology changes every 5 years and unless the technology has been proven for a long time, don’t go for it just because one can afford. In a nut shell, he said the multifocal technology is not yet perfected but mono focal has almost reached perfection in technology. I am impressed that such Doctors still exist who would advise me honestly not to go for the costlier options which are beneficial to the hospital in terms of money.

I had mono focal lens implanted for both eyes in cataract surgery done in 2 weeks gap for each eye. I have no issues so far and thankful to God for the guidance shown through a Doctor.

Now I use Crizal UV progressive lens for regular wear and for sun glasses, I use Zeiss polarized lens.
Mystic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 16:38   #104
BHPian

I got Drivesafe progressive. While it may give marginal improvement during the night drives, the biggest issue is the narrow field of vision compared to my previous Varilux. Everyday usage, particularly working on computer has become difficult due to this. My suggestion is that if you are a progressive lens user, stay away from Drivesafe. I paid 24000 for the lenses alone for which you can get significantly superior progressive lenses.
Old 3rd March 2024, 23:13   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisailendra View Post

I recently visited 2 Titan eye plus stores and one of them quoted a ~9.9k price and another quoted ~6k. I was confused and wasn't sure if the first one is fleecing me or the 2nd one has a fake product
Both showed me Ziess price charts too. Now I'm guessing the difference is what you mentioned above. Is there a way to differentiate between the two, like model numbers or something, other than the coating vs full-fledged design description? I want to go for the full-fledged one but want to be sure I'm ordering the right one.

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks