Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2021, 18:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

2021 Hyundai Tucson scores 5-stars in Euro NCAP crash tests

The 2021 Hyundai Tucson has been awarded a 5-star safety rating by Euro NCAP. The SUV scored 86% in adult occupant safety tests and 87% in child safety tests.

2021 Hyundai Tucson scores 5-stars in Euro NCAP crash tests-screenshot-20211108-183625.jpg

According to Euro NCAP, the Tucson's passenger compartment remained stable in the frontal offset test. The car offered good protection for the knees and femurs of both the driver and passenger. Protection for the driver's chest was marginal.

In the full-width rigid barrier test, good or adequate protection was provided to most critical body areas. However, driver chest protection was rated as marginal.

In the side barrier test, protection of all critical body areas was good or adequate. In the side pole impact test, protection of all critical body areas was good, and the car scored maximum points.

In both the frontal offset test and the side barrier impact, protection for all critical body areas of both child dummies was good.

The fourth-generation Tucson is expected to make its debut in the Indian market. Test mules of the car have already been spotted.
TusharK is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 19:32   #2
BHPian

Re: 2021 Hyundai Tucson scores 5-stars in Euro NCAP crash tests

Why Hyundai Why ?
Hyundais for international markets are superior in terms of power train, safety and overall build compared to the same models manufactured in India. I hope Hyundai will follow same path for their other mass market models.

Santa Fe / Tucson had that old Hyundai touch (quality + Safety) as localisation in these two models are far lesser compared to their mass market products.
Asoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 19:47   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post
Hyundais for international markets are superior
Hyundai is one of the very few manufacturers to offer localized "Indian"-make cars, as well as global ones like the Kona, Elantra, Tucson, and the now discontinued Sonata and Santa Fe in their portfolio here. The choice is ours. When I got the new Creta, the Tucson was 10+ lakhs higher and while I knew it was the superior car, I couldn't justify the price difference for my use case.
hortons15 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 20:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

My cousin who grew up in the US got a perfect SAT score. Notice how this has no relevance to my intelligence or abilities?

Wink wink, Hyundai!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 07:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Top money gets you top safety, probably applies to all international OEMs. When they 'engineer' a car to suit our specific local market at a price point, that's when safety attributes magically disappear and in comes hordes of features

We have no one else to blame but our demand for such

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 9th November 2021 at 07:14.
GeeTee TSI is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 08:09   #6
BHPian

My view :
- Our regulations do not require any side impact barriers etc. in cars, or any mandatory crash safety testing
- Maruti and Hyundai have exploited these gaps in our regulations to the full by removing anything safety-related which is not mandated
- Hence, their vehicles are cheaper and lighter (i.e., more fuel efficient)
- They have benefited by winning sales and market share

Auto companies which have followed their global norms, and refused to reduce safety measures, have struggled to be competitive, or exited the market altogether (eg. Ford).

I do not think that in a developing country like ours, the public / mass market is enlightened enough to pay a premium for safety. It must be mandated.

Its been done for airbags. Now even base models have airbags. The government must mandate crash safety standards on par with global norms.
Only then will these automobile firms will fall in line.

Last edited by vb-saan : 9th November 2021 at 11:45. Reason: Too many typos. Please proof-read your posts before submitting.
argho is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 30th November 2021, 10:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Euro NCAP safety assessment results for the following models will be revealed on 8 December (based on exploitation of a loophole on their website):

BMW iX
Dacia Spring Electric (rebadged Renault City k-ZE (Kwid EV) for Europe; sold with six airbags and ESC)
FIAT New 500e (no centre airbag*)
Genesis G70
Genesis GV70
Mercedes-Benz EQB
Mercedes-Benz EQS
MG Marvel R

Besides, there are rumours that new generations of the following models might be tested:
2021 Nissan Qashqai
2021 Škoda Fabia (not equipped with a centre airbag!*)
2020 Volkswagen Caddy

Source

*if fitted, effectiveness of the system in preventing occupant-to-occupant interaction is tested by Euro NCAP as a part of lateral impact and a worldSID (new side impact dummy) will also be placed on the non-struck side for physical side impact tests (MDB and pole) and in case of the AE-MDB test a heavier barrier will be used (1400kg instead of 1300kg).

Last edited by ron178 : 30th November 2021 at 10:09. Reason: Alphabetical order
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 13:19   #8
BHPian

Korean twins, Hyundai & Kia are all bells & whistles. No real effort in passenger safety. No wonder, Kia Seltos which looks rugged ended up scoring just about 3 stars. Creta's figures would be the same.
For Tucson, Its absolutely a crime that a car costing 30Lakhs+ is scoring Zero stars in crash test.

Korean twins are better at managing the media. So, we will not hear much about this crash test results in the mainstream media.
Unfortunately for the Indian public, Maruti & Korean twins are fighting it out for the last place in passenger safety in India.
samy1117 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 11:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

South Korean market left-hand drive 2021 Hyundai Tucson tested by Korea NCAP.

Scores 5 stars for occupant protection, 4 stars for vulnerable road user protection and 5 stars for safety assist, like the Kia Sportage which was also tested.

Tested for front full-width rigid barrier impact at 56km/h, frontal offset deformable barrier at 64km/h, AE-MDB (1400kg type) side impact at 60km/h, oblique pole test at 32km/h, low-speed whiplash pulse sled test at 16km/h, pedestrian headform and lower legform tests and for interurban, cyclist and pedestrian AEB tests.

Scores an overall 1st-grade rating.

Last edited by ron178 : 21st December 2021 at 11:36. Reason: LHD
ron178 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks