Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2021, 02:35   #16
BHPian

re: How do you use your ORVMs & mirrors?

Driving on our roads, where there's neither traffic nor civic sense, every available mirror is essential. I remember driving the old Maruti 800 for years without the left orvm and not realizing what a handicap it was till I drove a car with one!
There's no sense of left or right in our traffic, so I guess our driving of RHD cars doesn't change the equation as much as it would in a place where traffic laws are followed, and where there's more driving discipline.
Old 12th September 2021, 18:46   #17
BHPian

Re: How do you use your ORVMs & mirrors?

Again the advice on how to use mirrors needs to be customised for Indian conditions.

Please ensure that there’s enough clearance of around 4 seconds in front before you decide to use the side mirrors-especially the left side mirror.

In Indian cities we have buses braking abruptly or trucks parked in the left lane. Don’t take eyes off the forward roadway for more than 1s at a time.
Old 13th September 2021, 15:35   #18
BHPian

I do not have a rear view camera in my car but I use the other three rear view mirrors for doing regular sweeps from right to left.

While doing overtakes I check that no one is about to overtake me or approaching me at speed. I also have to check if anyone is following me closely. Apart from that, in case of turning right or left and while changing lanes too do a complete sweep.

After many months of practice, now I can reverse and parallel park using just the mirrors and avoid getting a stomach cramp while trying to rotate my body backwards to watch my reversing.

So yes all three mirrors are very useful and I am handicapped if any of these are not functioning.
Old 14th September 2021, 07:22   #19
BHPian

I check all the mirrors and also look over my shoulder at the blind spot before changing lane/turning. In the US, they teach new drivers to look for blind spots. Unfortunately in India, the licensing basics (this was more than 25 years back when I got my LL) don't teach you about watching out for blind spots. Not sure if anything has changed now. The bigger the vehicle, the more blind spots that can't be seen in the IRVM/ORVM mirrors. That's why I try to come either next to driver level or go behind the car. The spot around the rear passenger doors on both sides is typical blind spot area that people miss to watch out for .

Especially with so many two & three wheelers trying to squeeze in, blind spots matter more than ever, and one needs all the mirrors to watch out for the crazy traffic in most of our big cities.
Old 12th November 2021, 10:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

When I see a vehicle appearing quite a distance behind me, I do not make any assumptions about its speed. I make sure to check its position again, especially in case I need to change lanes. Some vehicles pick up speed and close the gap quite quickly.
Old 12th November 2021, 12:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamJ View Post
*SNIP*

Being inclined towards driving in first lane (right most lane), *SNIP*
Why on earth would you do this and make people overtake you on the wrong side and thus make it more dangerous for everyone else and yourself?

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 12:12   #22
BHPian

Simply cannot do without all 3; both ORVMs and the IRVM as well. Especially for reversing, I use all 3. Every time I see some car being driven on the road with both ORVMs folded, MY BLOOD BOILS!
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 12:46   #23
BHPian

I tend to use all the four (ORVM, IRVM, Reverse Camera). I am also old school and prefer to look over the shoulder when changing lanes or reversing the car. I am yet to learn reversing just using ORVMs.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 13:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

I use ORVM most of the times. Changing lanes, reversing the car, IRVM I only glance occasionally. Even though my car has a reverse camera I still rely on ORVM more and use camera only to see if there is an obstacle behind or not.
Old 12th November 2021, 13:29   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Why on earth would you do this and make people overtake you on the wrong side and thus make it more dangerous for everyone else and yourself?

Cheers
I usually drive during peak hours and in the city, not sure how dangerous it will for everyone to overtake me when the max speed is 20 kmph.
On proper open roads (Expressway), I stick to second lane with cruise activated at the said legal speeds.
Old 12th November 2021, 14:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

I use all rear view mirrors during my drives. In addition, I have small blind spot mirrors on both my ORVMs. These bling spot mirrors help in tight traffic/parking situations. On highway drives, while changing lane I first look at IRVM then ORVM (towards the lane I intend to go). For reverse, I use RVMs and reverse parking assistant (no camera though).

Last edited by airbus : 12th November 2021 at 14:32.
Old 12th November 2021, 14:42   #27
BHPian

In the city I refrain from checking left mirror frequently because I don't want to take my eyes away from front. Only when I have to change lanes I use the corresponding side mirror before signalling and quick over the shoulder check before committing.
Old 15th November 2021, 10:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Whenever there are vehicles around me with their ORVMs folded, I take extra care. Whether it is having them ahead or behind me, or overtaking them, or being overtaken by them.

With two-wheelers, I assume that most of them do not make use of their RVMs at all.
Old 9th October 2022, 14:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

The 70s and 80s kids have grown up seeing our parents' generation pull this maneuver in the ORVM-less days.

It is weirdly entertaining to see it performed on a Alto in 2022

narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks