Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2021, 18:01   #76
BHPian

Re: Car horns to sound like musical instruments (Tabla, Flute etc): Nitin Gadkari

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I can understand the need for wanting to have softer horns and if what i assume is right, what he said about musical instruments was not serious?

If then, should we be ridiculing him so? If there were loudness standards for horns then it would be good right?
Right. I think that while he was serious about having softer sounds in automobile horns, he was not serious about the specific instruments portion of his statement.

I don't think anyone is ridiculing him, its harmless fun at his expense which was expected and I am already seeing some shorts on youtube about this statement.
Old 8th September 2021, 18:52   #77
BHPian

Re: Car horns to sound like musical instruments (Tabla, Flute etc): Nitin Gadkari

Quote:
If there were loudness standards for horns then it would be good right?
As per existing Central Motor Vehicle Rules, the noise range for horns is currently fixed between 93 dB and 112 dB. There has been some talk of getting this range down to 88 dB - 100 dB for a long time now, but hasn't been done as yet.

Aftermarket horn fitments routinely flout these norms and hence we see so many cars/bikes/trucks with absolutely illegal and terribly loud horns. The ministry should take firm steps to crack down on this first.

Last edited by IamNikhil : 8th September 2021 at 18:53. Reason: Typo
IamNikhil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 10:49   #78
BHPian

Quote:
I can understand the need for wanting to have softer horns and if what i assume is right, what he said about musical instruments was not serious?

If then, should we be ridiculing him so? If there were loudness standards for horns then it would be good right?
I agree with you. We have a ban on air horns in the cities which is aimed at reducing noise pollution. Is it being conformed to?
The largest manufacturer of horns as far as I know is the German company Bosch. They make the sharpest sounding horns being sold in India, but the same company can sell only wind-tone horns in Germany. We can also see that Mercedes Benz, VW and some Hyundai cars come with wind-tone horns only.
The Minister Nithin Gadkari is known for innovative ideas and let us wait and see what the super brains in the automotive sector will come up with. Happy honking.
sureshkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 18:19   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkumar View Post
The largest manufacturer of horns as far as I know is the German company Bosch. They make the sharpest sounding horns being sold in India, but the same company can sell only wind-tone horns in Germany.
Precisely why there is a need for Ministry oversight in these aspects.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 11:50   #80
BHPian

Here's something I got from Facebook yesterday. It shows that the majority of us have a tendency to honk continuously.Name:  FB_IMG_1632055343624.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  53.7 KB
sureshkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 13:43   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkumar View Post
Here's something I got from Facebook yesterday. It shows that the majority of us have a tendency to honk continuously.Attachment 2209483
Agreed, that we honk more than needed at times, but sometimes there is no option considering the erratic and unpredictable behaviour of pedestrians and motorists in our country.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:33   #82
BHPian

Came across this article today:

The melodious sounds of musical instruments will ring out on the roads of New Delhi, replacing the ambulance sounds that came to dominate during the devastating coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.classicfm.com/music-news...a-instruments/

Last edited by IamNikhil : 22nd September 2021 at 11:34. Reason: Added text
Old 5th October 2021, 08:08   #83
Senior - BHPian

Planning Law To Use Sound Of Indian Instruments Only For Car Horns: Nitin Gadkari

Source: NDTV

Quote:
Nitin Gadkari said he was also studying the sirens used by ambulances and police vehicles and replace them with a more pleasant tune played on the All India Radio.

"An artist composed a tune of Akashvani (All Indian Radio) and it was played early in the morning. I am thinking of using that tune for ambulances so that people feel pleasant. It is so irritating, especially after ministers pass by, the sirens are used at full volume. This also harms the ears.

"I am studying this and soon planning to make a law that the horns of all vehicles should be in Indian musical instruments so that it is pleasant to hear. Flute, tabla, violin, mouth organ, harmonium...,” Mr Gadkari said.
He's doubling down on the idea. Seems like after doing hardwork over the years, he is trying to have some fun.
AutoNoob is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 10:29   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
He's doubling down on the idea. Seems like after doing hardwork over the years, he is trying to have some fun.
Quote:
"I am studying this and soon planning to make a law that the horns of all vehicles should be in Indian musical instruments so that it is pleasant to hear. Flute, tabla, violin, mouth organ, harmonium...,” Mr Gadkari said.
Indian musical instruments?
Flute: Germany/China (disputed)
Violin: Italy
Mouth organ/harmonica: Germany
Harmonium: France

If any musical instrument would suffice, I call dibs on Electric guitar!
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 10:49   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Planning Law To Use Sound Of Indian Instruments Only For Car Horns: Nitin Gadkari
This is a bad idea on so many levels. We have this chalta hai attitude to everything. After reading the comments on this thread, I have a feeling that logical thinking isn't our forte.

Horns are a safety feature, they are not meant to entertain. The sound should be an unambiguous alert to every living being in the path of the vehicle of the imminent danger. I would imagine that scientists and engineers could determine the optimum sound that would best do this job given a set of parameters and provide a set of usable sounds. Allowing all and sundry to come up with horn sounds is playing with the safety of the people in the proximity of vehicles (cars, for this minister). That a person in a responsible position doesn't understand this simple fact is unconscionable.
mvadg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 12:27   #86
BHPian

Have to see what gets classified as "Indian instruments".

This idea will not find many takers within the ministry itself, leave aside actual implementation.
Old 5th October 2021, 12:30   #87
BHPian

Quote:

Source: NDTV

At what point do we insist on psych evals for our elected representatives?
RoadTrippin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 12:33   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
At what point do we insist on psych evals for our elected representatives?
Just like government servants retire at 58/60 years of age, the same rule should be enforced for contesting elections. This will solve a lot of problems and sticky issues, IMHO.
IamNikhil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 17:59   #89
BHPian

Turns out it's not a remark made off the cuff. Unbelievable.
Car horns to sound like musical instruments (Tabla, Flute etc): Nitin Gadkari-screenshot_2021_1005_165903.jpg

Whether one drives conservatively slow, or prudently paced, or to optimise speed/FE, in Indian conditions it often requires fair (if not intense) attention, to judge the least dangerous/most optimal path.

Being emotionally casual DOES NOT go hand in hand when making these driving decisions. As I said earlier :
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
...Indian politicians are way way out of touch from reality..... What kind of prudence can we expect from representatives who talk like this?
On a lighter note, Coming Soon :
All vehicles to be permitted only 500 musical honks per annum. After that, you will need to re-charge for another 500 musical honks. (Fine print : GST on honk re-charge will be 28%, plus 20% cess - as this "right to honk" comes under the 'sin' category!).

And until such time that you recharge, the car will sound 5 LOUD honks everyday, namely : "Waah M_di ji Waah". Twice each - near your home & at your regular workplace, and once randomly, at ANYTIME it likes.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 5th October 2021 at 18:18.
WorkingGuru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 18:07   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Agreed, that we honk more than needed at times, but sometimes there is no option considering the erratic and unpredictable behaviour of pedestrians and motorists in our country.
This is true. I once took a friend from outside of India on a bike ride. Said friend was more comfortable me using the horn more often than I normally do since the other vehicles and people on the road do not pay heed to us moving about.
I make it a point to use as little of the horn as possible but (I have mentioned this in some other thread) I have been cussed at by passengers, more than once, for not using the horn because they didnt know I was coming up to them. Such is our situation.
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks