Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2021, 09:24   #16
BHPian

re: Car horns to sound like musical instruments (Tabla, Flute etc): Nitin Gadkari

What next? Flash mobs at crossroads? Really hope this new idea is not implemented.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 10:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Car horns to sound like musical instruments (Tabla, Flute etc): Nitin Gadkari

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
How does this sound?
'Idea' sounds exactly the opposite of desired intent.

PS - Is this considered part of the 'IDEA'

svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 11:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car horns to sound like musical instruments (Tabla, Flute, etc): Nitin Gadkari

Forza Horizon just became real!!!!

Those who are aware of the game, would know about options you have for horns. And Damn, it's hilarious.
Many times, during an intense online race, I have other racers blaring their funny horns, which range from Tabla like sounds to Windows Shut Down Chimes.

I don't even want to imagine it's repercussions in real life
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 12:26   #19
BHPian

Re: Car horns to sound like musical instruments (Tabla, Flute etc): Nitin Gadkari

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0626093618.htm

Quote:
To test the perceptual effects of their new horn sounds, researchers exposed 100 volunteers to a menu of sounds in hopes of finding those that were less irritating to the ear of pedestrians.

"For almost 100 years, the car Klaxon sound was almost invisible and its design was simple, and it had the advantage of being able to make a loud noise at low power. But the level of loudness could not be easily controlled. In this study, when a driver presses a Klaxon, a loud sound of 110dB or more is not transmitted directly to a pedestrian," Bae said.

The intended result is a calmer more peaceful environment, he said -- attributes that increase a driver's focus and rational response. The selected sound can be applied to any motor vehicle. Its advantage is that it reduces stress on drivers as well as pedestrians or bikers, thus improving the city soundscape.
I don't what kind of environment politicians grow up in, but I seem to get the feeling that years of trying to extract the maximum number of votes from the population has given them an entirely different mindset to those of "ordinary, rational" souls. I put "ordinary, rational" in quotes because I'm sure that Mr Gadkari too is an ordinary and rational person in his own universe.

An alert is not the same as music in my mind and I would not like to make it difficult for my puny brain in an emergency, to figure out whether to jump out of the way or relax when I heard a car horn - I prefer a simple, unambiguous message - get out of the way!
mvadg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 13:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car horns to sound like musical instruments (Tabla, Flute etc): Nitin Gadkari

Hope they make musical suspension mandatory, should reduce our stress while driving through international quality roads.
giri1.8 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 13:13   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Many private passenger buses have musical horns now. And these are being seized, and the drivers fined.

So will these be regularized now ?

Would like to know if I can have a trumpet or the like. Hope that will be allowed
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 13:19   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Since this has been mostly reported in Marathi language media, I suspect it either something lost in translation or more likely, Gadkari's wry sense of humour at work.

The Hon'ble Minister has done a lot to improve the lot of car owners and drivers and am sure managing the honking menace is on his list. But at least here on Team BHP, where the average "car sense" is higher than normal, let's not buy into frivolous reports and instead give him the benefit of the doubt!
noopster is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 13:28   #23
BHPian

One thing which would definitely be ‘music to my ears’ is if the Volkswagen horn gets banned.
It is loud, harsh & unpleasant sounding in residential areas & has a very notorious fan-following with even other brand car owners also replacing their stock horns with this !!

I know I might be ruffling a few feathers with the above statement but that is how I feel about it.
ScorpioYadav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 13:43   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Another brainwave from our Hon'ble Minister if the news is true ! We are constrained to know that even on the eleventh floor these honking horns disturb his peace of mind while doing "pranayama".

I am wondering as to how much disturbed those on the ground and first floors must be with the conventional horns.

- Next he could say that horns must be run on biofuels, not battery.

- With the ear-soothing musical sounds of tabla, percussion, violin, bugle, flute and so on, many music lovers for whom the horn is honked would like the horn to continue to play on and on. Hence they will obstruct right of way to the honking driver as the music is pleasent to the ears.

- These days many animals especially on highways are even sensitive to conventional horns and can understand that a vehicle is approaching. These animals quite a few times move out of the way, as many would have observed while driving on our highways. Musical horns will now entertain them. A grandma cow or buffalo could in future tell her grandchildren calves that in our times we had ear- jarring horns, air horns and so on. And now-a-days you have so 'pleasing to hear' musical horns and are so privileged. So moving on the middle of the road is a treat for you all.

- We are not sure from which country this import of "talented" knowledge has been made, but we are sure many Western countries would take cue and play hard rock, heavy metal, jazz, western classical, country music, blue grass and so on, on car horns if ever inspired by such an "INTELLIGENT" decision.

- We already have musical tune emitting reverse horns in our cars. Now even the forward gears 1-6 for manuals, D for automatics with the Reverse gear for both categories (auto and manual) will emit musical sounds. Hence, with nearly the same type of sound, we will have to check whether a car is being reversed or is moving forward ! Red taillights with the reverse lights sighted means "Reverse" and front head lights and fog lights sighted means "Forward." These will become our simple thumb rules for survival

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd September 2021 at 14:02.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 13:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Better to have a 'Horn Not OK' policy instead at certain times of the day in specific neighborhood areas (residential, school, hospitals etc).

Getting the manufacturers to design & build instrumental horns is a non-starter idea.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 13:48   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonder what will happen if an avid music lover is out on the road! Instead of moving out of the way, he or she may spend more time to enjoy the music!

This will rather be a distraction on road, rather than anything good. Cars stuck in traffic and we hear tabla, flute and what not! It will be nothing less than a concert!
Imagine anyone uses a pungi (snake charmers instrument) to replicate the horn sound !

Till date, I used to think Mr.Gadkari to be sensible and different from the rest! I sincerely hope this news to be a rumour!

Last edited by Samba : 3rd September 2021 at 13:53.
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 13:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Western movies/media plays sterotypical Indian music in the background whenever they show India. They can now use live recordings.
Latheesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 14:07   #28
BHPian

Wonder how AR Rahman and Raja Sir decide on their horns in Chennai roads. Awww - would be a treat to hear!!
Anees_Offl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 15:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Since this has been mostly reported in Marathi language media, I suspect it either something lost in translation or more likely, Gadkari's wry sense of humour at work.

The Hon'ble Minister has done a lot to improve the lot of car owners and drivers and am sure managing the honking menace is on his list. But at least here on Team BHP, where the average "car sense" is higher than normal, let's not buy into frivolous reports and instead give him the benefit of the doubt!
Very well said. I am sure that he said this whilst remarking on the very noisy horns on some vehicles. Funnily, the cacophony here to castigate him and his decisions is even noisier.
And remarkably, none of the pointed comments on a politician and politics has elicited moderation from the Team BHp support.
However, my defense of Shri Gadkari will.
Old 3rd September 2021, 15:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioYadav View Post
One thing which would definitely be ‘music to my ears’ is if the Volkswagen horn gets banned.
It is loud, harsh & unpleasant sounding in residential areas & has a very notorious fan-following with even other brand car owners also replacing their stock horns with this !!

I know I might be ruffling a few feathers with the above statement but that is how I feel about it.
I used to feel the same way until I bought the POLO.

This is the only effective horn I have found on Indian roads with Autos and Jaywalkers (with headphones). Also, with this horn, truck drivers sometimes give me side now on the first lane on a highway!
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed