Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2021, 11:09   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Mumbai-Pune Expressway sees 52% reduction in deaths since 2016 | The Zero Fatality Project

The Zero Fatality Corridor Project is a well intentioned, joint initiative of Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation, Maharashtra Highway Police, Mahindra & Mahindra and Save LIFE Foundation to reduce road crash deaths on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway (MPEW). It's very praiseworthy of M&M to spend their worthy CSR funds on such a noble project. The MPEW has seen a 56% reduction on road accident fatalities since the project began in 2016.

The project statistics have taken account of the lockdown stretches in time due to the Covid 19 situation in 2020 and statistical averages from the first and last quarters of that year are projected. During these two quarters of 2020, there was relative normalcy in traffic and also on the enforcement part.

It's praiseworthy and the involvement of all stakeholders including the law enforcement agencies, traffic users with the voluntary organisations here have played a positive role, that's quite soothing to observe.

Quote:

The stretch had witnessed a 43 per cent reduction in road accident fatalities from 151 deaths in 2016 to 86 till 31 December 2019. In the year 2020, the expressway reported 66 fatalities in 63 crashes, an official statement issued in Pune said.

The project, conceptualised and managed by Save LIFE Foundation, is supported by auto-major Mahindra & Mahindra through its CSR funds.
The full report here:-

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...-2016-7436487/

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 4th August 2021 at 11:31.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 12:31   #2
BHPian

re: Mumbai-Pune Expressway sees 52% reduction in deaths since 2016 | The Zero Fatality Project

Another factor which has contributed in reducing the accident rate on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway is the introduction of speed cams and patrol vehicles with mobile speed guns.

As per this report, over 3 lakh vehicles have been challaned and fines amounting to almost 30 crore have been collected within a year.

https://www.timesnownews.com/pune/ar...ne-year/790416
IamNikhil is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 13:13   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Mumbai-Pune Expressway sees 52% reduction in deaths since 2016 | The Zero Fatality Project

I'm just curious what measures have been implemented as part of this initiative. Yes, speed guns have been extremely active; several people have reported receiving challans for over-speeding.

But barring that, what has been done? The road quality isn't much better. There are still umpteen open points which stray vehicles use to change direction of travel. The barriers installed to prevent trucks/buses from using the right most lane were removed/broken within a week, I heard.

If speed alone has played such a big role, hope these measures are implemented strictly across highways.
libranof1987 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 14:20   #4
BHPian

CSR site by Mahindra and SaveLife
https://www.zerofatalitycorridor.in/about-zfc/

Reporting by NDTV with interventions represented with actual images
https://sites.ndtv.com/roadsafety/re...ot-safer-3087/

Last edited by varunswnt : 4th August 2021 at 14:22.
varunswnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 08:42   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mumbai-Pune Expressway sees 52% reduction in deaths since 2016 | The Zero Fatality Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Another factor which has contributed in reducing the accident rate on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway is the introduction of speed cams and patrol vehicles with mobile speed guns.
Bingo! It is majorly the speed cameras which have eliminated 90% of speeding incidents. I go on the expressway multiple times a month and barely see any cars driving at insane speeds anymore. Serious, in the last 1 month, I have probably seen just 2 cars driving at unmentionable speeds. The camera flash you get (brilliant idea ) & the 1000-rupee fine is enough to deter most speedsters.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 09:00   #6
BANNED

Re: Mumbai-Pune Expressway sees 52% reduction in deaths since 2016 | The Zero Fatality Project

The volume of passenger vehicles has drastically reduced in 2020 due to multiple lockdowns and travel restrictions. Yes, I understand that people haven’t stopped travelling on the eway but the volume of traffic is significantly lesser than pre-2020. Speedcams have also been a contributor but what the eway needs more than speeding restrictions. Slow vehicles in the first lane, heavy vehicles blocking all 3 lanes in the ghat section and people bouncing around lanes like monkeys in the ghat section.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 12:04   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
but what the eway needs more than speeding restrictions. Slow vehicles in the first lane, heavy vehicles blocking all 3 lanes in the ghat section ...
So true. This aggravates me no end. At some level, the above also contributes to "some" part of the below. Half of my overtaking is done from the left (often extreme left) because of the right most lanes being occupied by non overtaking days.

Of course no way should people cut across violently and frequently between lanes or cut multiple lanes at a shot which also I see quite a lot. That is massively dangerous driving no doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
.... and people bouncing around lanes like monkeys in the ghat section.

Last edited by Axe77 : 5th August 2021 at 12:05.
Axe77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 22:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I'm just curious what measures have been implemented as part of this initiative. Yes, speed guns have been extremely active; several people have reported receiving challans for over-speeding.

But barring that, what has been done? The road quality isn't much better. There are still umpteen open points which stray vehicles use to change direction of travel. The barriers installed to prevent trucks/buses from using the right most lane were removed/broken within a week, I heard.

If speed alone has played such a big role, hope these measures are implemented strictly across highways.
I was involved with this project in the early stages. The crash factors were identified purely on the basis of in-depth crash data (I believe such analysis was the first of its kind in India). Even though speed was one of the factors, the majority of the factors that led to crash injuries were primarily related to the road design. It was while working on this project that I realised how deadly Indian roads are. That is why the first steps taken were to make the road forgivable to the drivers. This ensures that even if the crash does occur, the severity of injuries is reduced and this in turn reduces the fatalities.
I am not aware of the implementation of barriers which prevent a lane change (seem to be quite risky)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bingo! It is majorly the speed cameras which have eliminated 90% of speeding incidents. I go on the expressway multiple times a month and barely see any cars driving at insane speeds anymore. Serious, in the last 1 month, I have probably seen just 2 cars driving at unmentionable speeds. The camera flash you get (brilliant idea ) & the 1000-rupee fine is enough to deter most speedsters.
I guess our experience is different, as whenever I travel on the EW (sometimes more than once a week) I still find a lot of overspeeding (>120 kph). And from personal experience, I can say that the drivers who usually drive at such speeds, usually in the luxury or semi-luxury vehicles, either don't pay the fines or just scoff at the 1000 bucks/pay off the cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
So true. This aggravates me no end. At some level, the above also contributes to "some" part of the below. Half of my overtaking is done from the left (often extreme left) because of the right most lanes being occupied by non overtaking days.

Of course no way should people cut across violently and frequently between lanes or cut multiple lanes at a shot which also I see quite a lot. That is massively dangerous driving no doubt
Please do not overtake using the left-most lane or the left shoulder. From what I have heard from those who are still working on the project, Cars rear-ending trucks on the left shoulder is one of the most common crash scenarios still occurring on the expressway (EW).

A suggestion for those who use the Mumbai-Pune EW regularly, please be extra careful in the stretch towards the end of the ghat section while coming from Pune (just before the Food plaza). A lot of trucks tend to lose control along this stretch, leading to pile-ups.
Rohan265 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 09:46   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
I am not aware of the implementation of barriers which prevent a lane change (seem to be quite risky)
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst89 View Post
Those height barriers were broken in one week when installed by none other than trucks and Shivneri buses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
This is what I saw today on my drive back on the expressway:

Vertical poles are already placed in a lot of places. Separated by a few hundred meters. They have a mount for bolting on a horizontal bar. Each of these may be between 10-14 feet in height. The primary goal is to restrict trucks and tall pickup trucks from entering the fast lane. I hope the implementation is done neatly to avoid any mishaps.
Quote:
Please do not overtake using the left-most lane or the left shoulder. From what I have heard from those who are still working on the project, Cars rear-ending trucks on the left shoulder is one of the most common crash scenarios still occurring on the expressway (EW).
Absolutely. Almost every car uses the left lane to overtake in the ghat section because the HCVs hog the middle/right lanes. And if there's ever a broken down vehicle, it's disaster.

Eg.: https://punemirror.indiatimes.com/pu...w/71145567.cms
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 23:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bingo! It is majorly the speed cameras which have eliminated 90% of speeding incidents........ most speedsters.
I am curious to know what is your definition of insane speeds? I typically drive between 100kms to 110 on Tamil Naidu Highways, but when I watch a car or bike review on YouTube, usually they say this bike/car can run 140km or 160kms all day and these speeds are sort of insane for me. Makes me think I am slow driver.
Old 7th August 2021, 00:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:

I guess our experience is different, as whenever I travel on the EW (sometimes more than once a week) I still find a lot of overspeeding (>120 kph). And from personal experience, I can say that the drivers who usually drive at such speeds, usually in the luxury or semi-luxury vehicles, either don't pay the fines or just scoff at the 1000 bucks/pay off the cops.
I second that vociferously, there’s just no end to the speeding that is always ocuurung as you wind your way down the EW. 120-140 are common speeds even in pouring rain, where the threat of water planing is huge.

[/quote]
In the absence of any kind of shoulder / rest bay along the entire length of the EW one has no option but to stop, if one must, in the extreme left lane, which many think of as the shoulder. Maniacs overtaking using this lane, are a huge risk to anyone stopped there and/or to themselves too. How does one educate people who don’t have an iota of sense that compels them to act so irresponsibly
Old 7th August 2021, 08:18   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was involved with this project in the early stages. The crash factors were identified purely on the basis of in-depth crash data (I believe such analysis was the first of its kind in India). Even though speed was one of the factors, the majority of the factors that led to crash injuries were primarily related to the road design. It was while working on this project that I realised how deadly Indian roads are. That is why the first steps taken were to make the road forgivable to the drivers. This ensures that even if the crash does occur, the severity of injuries is reduced and this in turn reduces the fatalities.
Very true. I had heard of such a study and I believe even some understanding of the banking angle and the design of the curves and turns were done. Basically several fundamental design aspects. Interesting to hear of such studies.

Quote:
I never use the shoulder. But yes, until there is much more lane discipline implemented I don’t see myself NOT using any available lane at a practical level. I understand the risk you are highlighting and its most common when people undertake fast lane changes either side to encounter a slow truck / vehicle in front of them. I dont do that and am VERY defensive when it comes to overtaking or passing or frankly even driving at a certain speed. I will slow down, back off keep clear horizon line of sight etc. I also never undertake these on blind curves even when they are divided highways.

Its easy to say on this forum that I don’t / wont do this for the sake of it but the state of lane discipline on the Expressway is such that I know it simply won’t be true for me.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 17:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The barriers installed to prevent trucks/buses from using the right most lane were removed/broken within a week, I heard.
They were declared illegal by courts, and fines for using right lane have still not been refunded. This issue went to court when a mirror arm twisted after hitting the bar and crushed a truck drivers wrist to a level beyond medical repair.

There is a law that highway cannot have more than 10% gradient, and sections with steeper gradients are just roads, and not highways.
On such roads goods vehicles should use the outermost lane of the curve.

The Bhor ghat has an average gradient of 14% with peak gradient steeper than that, in-fact section just before the location which had the Amrutanjan bridge has 18% gradient which is steeper than the limit a vehicle is designed to take a fully loaded start from dead stop.

This is also the only point where authorities have marked a lane crossover for heavy vehicles.
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks