Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2021, 21:47   #46
BHPian

re: Renault Triber gets a 4-star GNCAP rating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
I agree absolutely!

Could it just be the fact that that our certification standards for crashworthiness are ludicrously low and easily surpassed by just about any design?

Its disappointing to see the management at Renault try to turn this into a celeberatory and self-back patting occasion.

The GoI needs to tighten the regulations and ask the OEMs to declare the results of Bharat NCAP or whatever we call the test!
I beg to differ and I don't find anything wrong with Renault turning it into "celebratory and self-back patting occasion" . The way I see it is - they've earned it.

Yes , unstable body structure is a chink in the armour but it is acceptable given the price point and the fact that out of top 10 most selling cars in India , only one car manages to earn a 4 star crash test rating. Not to forget , cars from Hyundai-Kia stable - true all rounders in general have performed miserably in this department.
Shashwat.75 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 22:59   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

This result is quite a pleasant surprise and though I had always found the Triber to be a well engineered and designed car, even I did not expect it to achieve 4 stars! And that too with the lower variant with two Airbags. Possibly the higher variant with 4 airbags may even be a bit better.
Now all Renault need to do is plonk in the sweet Turbo Petrol engine with CVT gearbox from the Kiger - that will really become a killer combo. But that may very well kill off the Kiger as the Triber is more spacious and practical. The Triber really scores over the Kiger in terms of being able to seat 7 or carry 5 people with tons of luggage. It is also a very practical choice for people with dogs (the last row of seats can be removed and the dog also has roof mounted ac vents to cool him!)
Kudos to Renault for making a good, practical and safe design.

Last edited by Behemoth : 1st June 2021 at 23:02.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 23:00   #48
Senior - BHPian

What a fantastic achievement by Renault, considering cheap price & Kwid fiasco . Hope they also launch the turbocharged version of this family mover.
Old 1st June 2021, 23:09   #49
Senior - BHPian

This is indeed a surprise and a good one too.

The Triber is definitely a VFM package, however additions like a better engine and a proper automatic can do this car wonders. Also a slight tweak here or there in the rear can perhaps change perceptions. If a slow mover car like the Triber can manage this much, it is a shame that the biggies in the industry are still rolling out unsafe cars. Especially the segment leaders where the numbers can justify investment into safety.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 01:00   #50
BHPian

Brilliant, I think I am going to start recommending Triber to every other first time buyers henceforth owing to the practicality and VFM package it is. Hyundai and MSIL should be ashamed of enjoying market superiority by selling mere tin cans.

Note sure when will the people of India start realizing this, but government should mandate publishing GNCAP or even some indigenous and practical safety standard rating for every car brochure to educate customers (like those statutory warnings on cigarette packets) and eventually promote manufacturing of safer cars for our roads and people.

Even IRDA should be enforcing more premium for passenger coverage for cars with lower safety ratings.
haisaikat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 01:26   #51
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Well done! Renault.

A touch of responsible and respectable design philosophy now outshines the practicality on offer.
Old 2nd June 2021, 01:50   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
That's a great result for Renault and a bit of a surprise as well.

Kudos Renault for building a safer and VFM car.

This is for the Indian version of Triber which is built in India for our markets.
The first image of GNCAP results mentions the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
This is for the car made in India and sold in India.

Really surprising considering the fiasco with Kwid earlier.
Pardon me guys, the images are probably added later, weren't there when I replied to the thread.

However, this news does still surprise me!

I was just going thru the crash results videos and tried to pause at exact same moment.
Below are the screenshots.

I am no expert, but just look at the condition of the Triber's driver side door, its bent. 4 stars or no, I would still worry after looking at that.
Like I said, I ain't an expert and this is purely my opinion.

Mahindra Marazzo - 4 stars
Renault Triber gets a 4-star GNCAP rating!-marrazo.jpg

Renault Triber - 4 stars
Renault Triber gets a 4-star GNCAP rating!-triber.jpg

Kia Seltos - 3 stars
Renault Triber gets a 4-star GNCAP rating!-seltos.jpg

Suzuki Ertiga - 3 stars
Renault Triber gets a 4-star GNCAP rating!-ertiga.jpg

Suzuki Swift - 2 stars
Renault Triber gets a 4-star GNCAP rating!-swift.jpg

Renault Kwid - 2 star
Renault Triber gets a 4-star GNCAP rating!-kwid.jpg
iamahunter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 08:25   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
I am no expert, but just look at the condition of the Triber's driver side door, its bent. 4 stars or no, I would still worry after looking at that.
This is a good reminder of how crash worthiness simply cannot be determined by observation. I can't count the number of times I've read or heard "The sheet metal looks quite thin/thick hence the car will probably be unsafe/safe". After all the condition of the dummies inside will dictate the stars, conclusions from observation are misguided.
superguy282 is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 08:59   #54
BHPian

Quote:

Simple, sheet metal thickness isn't what contributes to your safety, it's the crumple zone. The condition of the passenger post-crash analysis defines the crashworthiness of the vehicle.

Anyway, I hope one day the majority who asses the car by the outer body (BIW) sheet metal thickness will get some awareness after these crash tests results differs their prospective.
starke is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 09:02   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Pardon me guys, the images are probably added later, weren't there when I replied to the thread.

However, this news does still surprise me!

I was just going thru the crash results videos and tried to pause at exact same moment.
Below are the screenshots.

Mahindra Marazzo - 4 stars
Attachment 2163005

Renault Triber - 4 stars
Attachment 2163004

Kia Seltos - 3 stars
Attachment 2163006

Suzuki Ertiga - 3 stars
Attachment 2163007

Suzuki Swift - 2 stars
Attachment 2163003

Renault Kwid - 2 star
Attachment 2163002

Actually the thing is, Global NCAP rates the car on the basis of dummy readings. So if a car has a good rating, it is very much possible to achieve it with an unstable body shell if the dummy readings do not have too many red/brown/orange marks.
Take for example, the Maruti S-presso. If you look at the crash test image, it would appear as if the passenger cabin is still intact, but the car scores a big fat zero because of serious potential risk of injury to crucial parts of the body like the chest or the neck.

Renault Triber gets a 4-star GNCAP rating!-76c7e01820ae45f19303301d9991f4de.jpeg

Renault Triber gets a 4-star GNCAP rating!-50d60044520241cc93947ff9e7515a94.jpeg

Even in the Kia Seltos, the passenger cabin appears to be intact, but the car only scored 3 stars because of a lot of red on the dummy readings: Renault Triber gets a 4-star GNCAP rating!-a8fe1c78acf941d1b671f8ff1df1fca7.jpeg

Primary factor: extent of damage/injury suffered by the dummies.

Secondary factor: extent of intrusion into the passenger cabin.

Since the Renault Triber had good dummy readings, it is a safe car for the passengers, which is what matters at the end of the day. Even if you look at the Marazzo image in your post, it has suffered damage to the rear quarter panel. I have also noticed that a lot of cars get ripples in their roofs during the crash test. I think this is perfectly normal for modern cars because that is how the bodies are designed - the energy of the impact is distributed through the entire monocoque so as to not transfer the forces to the passengers.

It would have been a cause for concern if the A-pillar would have collapsed right into the cabin, like what happened with the Mahindra Scorpio:
Renault Triber gets a 4-star GNCAP rating!-1f72f1303b5447cb80007d3474c0fd48.jpeg

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 2nd June 2021 at 09:23.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 09:29   #56
BHPian

What do * and ** superscript for Nexon and Marazzo mean? Is Nexon a five star or a four star car? I couldn't get the answer for second question. Some websites say the star rating for older nexon and facelift nexon is different. Is it true?

Coming back to the topic, I'm quite surprised but happy with the result. Frankly, did not expect it to fare better than Kwid. Way to go Renault! Hope all the cars in the market are four star or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Really feel proud as an owner of the Triber! Ever since the Magnite had scored 4 Stars in the ASEAN NCAP, I had an inkling that the Triber too will score similarly, and I'm glad it did, and that too in the Global NCAP nonetheless.

Attachment 2162865

With these results, Renault Triber now stands at No. 8 in the list of safest cars in India, as per Global NCAPs #SaferCarsForIndia Campaign List of June 2021

P.S. - Now I have been an owner of the un-Safest (Tata Nano - last in this list) and one of the safest (No. 8 Renault Triber) cars from this list.
amitjha086 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 09:45   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjha086 View Post
What do * and ** superscript for Nexon and Marazzo mean? Is Nexon a five star or a four star car? I couldn't get the answer for second question. Some websites say the star rating for older nexon and facelift nexon is different. Is it true?
You can see more of that image in this post https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4840976 (2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Indian!). Just look at bott of the image.

As for whether the facelifted Nexon is 5 star rated other members have put forward the argument that TATA can't use the 5 star rating since they have changed the cosmetic design of the car since it was tested. Last I checked even TATAs webpage no longer mentions the 5 star rating for Nexon.
Old 2nd June 2021, 09:53   #58
Senior - BHPian

Guys, credit where credit is due.

A 4 star rating for a INR 5-6 Lakh car in India is not a small achievement. OEM's have the choice of saving some money and just meeting the basic India crash legislation done at 56kmph. Meeting the much more stringent GNCAP test at 64kmph and getting a good result is a great job done by Renault, more so considering their dodgy safety history.

At the end of the day it is a business and the OEM has to sell cars to a market that largely doesn't care too much about safety - case in point the many poorly crash rated cars continuing to do well even after proof of the poor results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
Title of Any car of any star crash rating should mention the body structure Stability/unstability because that is also of similar importance as star rating. Having 4 star safety rating with unstable structure is like scoring 80% marks in aggregate but flunked in one key subject....

GNCAP has a sound rating methodology and hence this is factored into the scoring as well. The car is able to protect it's occupants at a 4 star level in a frontal offset crash upto 64kmph and beyond that the structure will begin to collapse potentially causing injury. There will always be a limit for any structure and this information defines this margin available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
I agree absolutely!

Could it just be the fact that that our certification standards for crashworthiness are ludicrously low and easily surpassed by just about any design?

Its disappointing to see the management at Renault try to turn this into a celeberatory and self-back patting occasion.

The GoI needs to tighten the regulations and ask the OEMs to declare the results of Bharat NCAP or whatever we call the test!
As mentioned above, preparing a car for a GNCAP test is not a requirement for the OEM. The mandatory Indian test is less severe in line with the basic UN recommendation (done at 56kmph), so yes no harm in Renault celebrating this good result.

There is no Bharat NCAP. It was a proposal made by the government which 'some' OEM's will resist as much as they can.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 2nd June 2021 at 09:54.
fiat_tarun is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 10:55   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Guys, credit where credit is due...

The mandatory Indian test is less severe in line with the basic UN recommendation (done at 56kmph)...

There is no Bharat NCAP. It was a proposal made by the government which 'some' OEM's will resist as much as they can.
Thanks for the informative post and point taken. I understand that the unstable structure rating only implies that the structure cannot take any further loading in terms of speed or weight. However, for the test conditions, the test scores are what they are. The total scores in NCAP includes the data from the dummies during the test and these measured forces are a factor of force attenuation by the designed crumple zones, airbags as well as required structural integrity in key areas.

I take back my earlier point - credit to Renault India is indeed due!

Re- Bharat NCAP - I have a point. Both market forces and legislation play roles in what level of crashworthy cars are sold in that market. Here we have a lax legistation. On the other hand, we have lop-sided high taxation with a price sensitive market which inherently drives cost-cutting as a priority.

Unless legislation is corrected and brought on par with at least GNCAP or other prevailing standards, it will be left to the initiative of management of individual companies whether to design better crashworthiness into their design or not bother to go above the Indian homologation minimum standard.

On that point - why are details of homologation (including crashworthiness) of each Indian car model not openly available? I have not been able to get the details / link on the ARAI website.

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 2nd June 2021 at 11:03. Reason: additional
Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 11:03   #60
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Triber gets a 4-star GNCAP rating!

From selling a Duster with small airbags to the Magnite & Triber getting 4 stars, Renault-Nissan India have indeed come a long way. Extremely happy with the news. The Triber is a highly intelligent car in terms of packaging. Main mood-breaker is that lame 1.0 NA under the hood. Waiting to TD a Triber with the group's 1.0 turbo-petrol engine. Renault should also give it the CVT. Now, that will make it one heck of a budget MPV.

While Renault stands at the front of the classroom taking the award from the teacher, Kia deserves to stand in the corner in shame.
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks