Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2021, 15:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault Triber gets a 4-star GNCAP rating!

Kudos to renault on improving from Kwid ratings. So does this make Triber safer than Ertiga?

Am guessing Kiger would have similar rating? But I do hope & expect a stable bodyshell for that one atleast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post

Rather unexpected that it still managed four stars!
TATA ZEST & TIAGO both have similar result. 4* with unstable bodyshell. So this isn't really new.

Last edited by SoumenD : 1st June 2021 at 15:18.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 15:16   #17
BHPian

That is a HUGE breath of fresh air in the world of connected car tech and air purifiers. Renault and Nissan deserve a lot of respect for bringing good cars at very good prices. Now the Triber really needs the HRA0 and the CVT from the Kiger/Magnite. That will make it a complete package with almost zero drawbacks.
saikishor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 15:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Adult protection 4* score range is 11.00 – 13.99 points and Triber scored 11.62.

You can say it is a 3.5* rated car. I never expected it to score 2* going by the Kwid results and Duster airbag size issue in the past.

Seltos adult protection score was 8.03 (2* rated)

Last edited by Latheesh : 1st June 2021 at 15:23.
Latheesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 15:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

It is very good to know that the Triber has got a 4 star rating. This result seems to have shocked a lot of folk - pleasantly. I hope this inspires confidence in prospective buyers and drives up sales. It really is such a versatile underrated car (despite the 1.0 litre NA engine, AMT and all of that).
wilful is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 16:00   #20
BHPian

Really I was never expecting this from Renault.

Great work by the team then. Hope they continue this streak for the upcoming models & don't leave this car as outlier in their lineup for safety.

Also, I wish that they provide ISOFIX anchorage to improve child safety as well. That should make them boost of safety during sales point against Maruti.
Old 1st June 2021, 16:03   #21
BHPian

Both surprising and shocking !

Now if a MPV built on extreme tight budget is getting good ratings in safety then I can assume that 'adequate safety rating' is not even a thing of luxury !! Probably just another part of standard equipment list that comes from base variant itself. I wonder what is letting other companies skip on this?

Some interesting bits :
1. Renault's more expensive Duster gets 3* rating at 9 points. Triber is significantly better at 11.62 points.

2. Triber gets the best child safety ratings in MPV category bettering Marazzo, Ertiga, Mobilio etc.
Turbokick is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 16:09   #22
BHPian

It is a good thing that they got four stars especially when considering the crash test result of much costlier Seltos. But I doubt whether the manufactures are trying to get something like a minimum pass mark in an exam - got four stars but structurally unstable. May be that is the maximum they can do with the cost limitations of their segments.
NICHE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 16:18   #23
BHPian

Wow..Congratulations to Renault Team!! So happy to see the safety rating for VFM segment vehicle. I think everything is falling in place for Renault and hope Nissan catches up soon as well. Their next focus should be on improving the service network and experience. Good Luck to them!
Old 1st June 2021, 16:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Really feel proud as an owner of the Triber! Ever since the Magnite had scored 4 Stars in the ASEAN NCAP, I had an inkling that the Triber too will score similarly, and I'm glad it did, and that too in the Global NCAP nonetheless.

Renault Triber gets a 4-star GNCAP rating!-img20210601wa0001.jpg

With these results, Renault Triber now stands at No. 8 in the list of safest cars in India, as per Global NCAPs #SaferCarsForIndia Campaign List of June 2021

P.S. - Now I have been an owner of the un-Safest (Tata Nano - last in this list) and one of the safest (No. 8 Renault Triber) cars from this list.

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 1st June 2021 at 16:28.
AdityaDeane is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 16:35   #25
BHPian

Completely unexpected, but surely, this is great news! Kudos to Renault. Time for Hyundai and Kia to take some notes, building an affordable and safe car is no rocket science, especially with deep pockets and the kind of tech at their disposal.

If Magnite/Kiger can score a similar or a better rating with a stable structure, I am sure more people will lap them up. Good to see not so popular manufacturers not compromising on the safety aspect, and not taking the market for granted
Old 1st June 2021, 16:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, Renault. It's really heartening to see the improvement. This comes as a relief after the plethora of crash tests on the Kwid.

I had noticed Renault's decision to include 4 optional airbags (better than the segment average) in the Triber, and their insistence on having the Kwid crash-tested a seemingly infinite number of times (though those didn't end well). However, even after the Nissan Magnite's ASEAN NCAP crash test, I wasn't entirely convinced, both because of possible manufacturing differences and a different test protocol. This makes it more clear. Sure, the unstable structure still exists but the adult protection is quite remarkable for a car whose platform originates from that of a zero-star car.

Considering what else the Triber has to offer, coupled with the fact that it retails at a lower price-point that some lower-B segment hatchbacks (which, ironically, have performed worse), this proves that the manufacturer's attitude towards safety is the first factor that matters. It seems like Renault has hopped on the safe cars bandwagon. I might be nitpicking here, but I wish Renault offered ESC across its range like the related Nissan Magnite and Datsun Go. Renault has the upper hand in terms of maximum airbag count, though. A 7-seater MPV with a 1.0L turbo + CVT, 4 airbags and ESC would be a pretty sweet deal. The 3-star child safety rating isn't too bad either, although it has more room for improvement (standard ISOFIX would be nice). I honestly hope Global NCAP updates its ageing protocol soon. I'd like side impact tests and ESC evaluation to be a standard for all cars, not just a requirement for 5-stars or the Safer Choice Award.

We now have an affordable MPV, a body-on-frame off-roader and an upper A-segment hatchback with 4-star safety ratings. I believe it's time for the market leaders who sell mainstream cars--which are supposed to be safer than these niche segment cars--to up their game. The Triber gets decent fuel economy, has a fair amount of gizmos, boasts an attractive price and unmatched practicality. I would like to ask the market leaders what excuse they have now. The short answer is, they don't.

One final word--I hope this stops car 'reviewers' on YouTube from poking the sheetmetal and predicting 1 and 2-star crash ratings for cars. We've had 43 crash tests in India that have disproved this. It's perfectly okay to criticise a car that's flimsily built because it does feel cheap, but please don't use it to predict crashworthiness. It might end up putting people in less safe cars instead of safer ones. When it comes to safety, the ultimate priority should be actually getting safer cars on the road, not endorsing any brand.

I'm hoping for more crash tests for 2021.

Last edited by ron178 : 1st June 2021 at 16:51.
ron178 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 16:45   #27
BHPian

I'm very happy to hear this as a owner. I was merely expecting a 2 star on this. But I'm surprised and pleased to hear this that the car got 4 stars.

And kudos to Renault for achieving this with a small engine bay to absorb the impact.
Jagann13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 16:54   #28
BHPian

It's truly great to see another decently safe MPV enter the market.
Renault truly surprised everyone with a dashing star result!
What's even better is the score. 11.62 points is a lot! For reference the 20+ lakh Seltos scored 8.03 points.
Really have to appreciate Renault for doing this.

On a side note, now we have an army of toxic haters/fanboys on social media who are questioning the integrity of GNCAP itself. Everyone with the same standard argument. "See photos of accident, how this can be 4 star". Jeez.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 17:04   #29
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Renault India's response:
Quote:
Commenting on this achievement Venkatram Mamillapalle, Country CEO & Managing Director, Renault India Operations said, “Safety is of paramount importance for Renault and our products meet and exceed the requisite safety standards set by Indian Regulatory Authorities. An outcome of a joint project between Renault teams in India and France, Renault TRIBER has already established itself as a successful product and has seen tremendous acceptance amongst a wide set of car buyers. This is a proud moment for Renault in India, as TRIBER was conceived, developed and produced in India, for Indian customers first, before we took it to the world. The 4-star adult safety rating by Global NCAP for TRIBER reiterates our commitment towards safety.”

“This latest 4-Star adult rating reaffirms that Renault stands by its commitment to make the best in global car safety, accessible to Indian customers. As a customer-focused company, Renault is already future-ready in terms of technology, design and engineering for enhanced safety for our vehicles and Triber is a testimony to this,” he added.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 17:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Off Topic. But is it an official image from GNCAP? They have made a mistake in spelling Kia Seltos - Kia SELTO

Last edited by graaja : 24th August 2023 at 18:52. Reason: Typo, capitalization etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks