Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2020, 19:32   #46
BHPian

Re: NCAP tests: Things to keep in mind as a buyer / misconceptions about NCAP

Very informative write up indeed !
A vehicle with 5 star safety rating doesn't necessarily mean that the vehicle indestructible or the occupants are safe no matter what. We have all seen and read, few renowned celebrities have succumbed due to road accidents in supposedly top rated safe cars.
It is wonderful that people are educated through these ratings, but, good road manners and common sense is most important while driving, however top safety rated the vehicle is.
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 20:25   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superguy282 View Post
Misconceptions about GNCAP
A 5 star safety rating doesn't guarantee safety in all scenarios and situations.
Thank you for the wonderful summary and bringing more awareness for safety while driving.

One point I would like to add to the list of variables which can alter the outcome even in a 5-star rated car is the leakage of fuel and other flammable liquids after mishap. Correct me if I am wrong, but in all the videos I have seen of the crash tests, none of the cars have liquids leaking out of the car after mishap. Understandably, NCAP must have removed the liquids to prevent the car from catching fire in enclosed building testing conditions.

But in real world scenarios, there can easily be cases where cars catch fire after mishap, which sadly not even a 5-star rated car has been tested upon.

So one should always be careful when on roads, because there can be thousands of scenarios when even a 5-star rated car becomes useless when driven rashly.
ontheway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 21:55   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
One point I would like to add to the list of variables which can alter the outcome even in a 5-star rated car is the leakage of fuel and other flammable liquids after mishap. So one should always be careful when on roads, because there can be thousands of scenarios when even a 5-star rated car becomes useless when driven rashly.
Correct. The fuel is totally syphoned off and a liquid with similar density is filled in the tank to simulate the mass. However, this liquid is a solvent that is less flammable than petrol/diesel and the crashed car is then inspected for leakages. Depending on the amount of solvent leaked, it determines whether or not the car is likely to catch fire. The catch here is, this procedure is used by the IIHS and I see no mention of it in the NCAP manual. Which is why I cannot comment on it, if anyone does know, please do tell.

As for engine fluids, they aren't removed and are infact filled to the max.
superguy282 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 15:42   #49
BHPian

All NCAAP testing is done with standard male dummies which are taller and heavier so the chances of damage to women are higher in similar accidents as they are lighter and smaller frame than men

Women drivers should pick higher crash rating cars atleast 3 Star and beyond
Old 15th March 2021, 18:36   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarprusty View Post
All NCAAP testing is done with standard male dummies which are taller and heavier so the chances of damage to women are higher in similar accidents as they are lighter and smaller frame than men
its not just that women are lighter and smaller than men, they sit differently, they have a very different anatomy to men.

See:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...ivers-at-risk/

Quote:
Automotive safety experts look at car crashes in three distinct stages. The first stage is the vehicle crash—the impact of a car or truck into a foreign object. Stage two is the human crash, when the bodies of the vehicle’s occupants come into contact with seat belts and airbags—or worse, the dashboard, windows, or some other object. The third stage is the internal crash, which refers to the collisions of organs, bones, and soft tissue that happen within the human body.

According to Consumer Reports’ Thomas, the crash energy that isn’t absorbed by the vehicle in that first stage is then transferred to the occupants. “Vehicle restraint systems, like seat belts and airbags, are intended to limit motion and that transfer of energy,” she says. “But to do that effectively across a range of body types, carmakers and crash testers need to consider not just the size of different occupants but also the material properties of their bodies.”

That means crash-testing cars with dummies that represent a variety of body types, Thomas says, and ones that can account for the physiological differences between males and females.

“Females are not just smaller versions of males,” says Kristy Arbogast, Ph.D., the co-scientific director of the Center for Injury Research and Prevention at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, who also sits on the board of the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine. “They’re put together differently. Their material properties—their structure—is different.”
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 16:27   #51

Mod note: Post Edited, please avoid Quoting entire large post for short reply. Thanks

wow!!!! this is an unbelievably awesome message - thank you so much!!!. Just curious... is there a way we can ask for GNCAP to go for crowdsourcing of funds to expand their scope / reach? the GNCAP's website has a funding link - but no details :(

Quote:
Method of testing

We've all seen the videos of the GNCAP tests wherein cars traveling at a supposed 64km/h are crashed into a stationary blue barrier and get decimated. What we don't know, is the sheer amount of calculations,data and manhours involved in getting conclusions from these tests.
====
Source Link(Adult), Link(Child)

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th March 2021 at 18:13.
iraharah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 20:00   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraharah View Post
Just curious is there a way we can ask for GNCAP to go for crowdsourcing of funds to expand their scope / reach? The GNCAP's website has a funding link - but no details :(
AFAIK, there is no way of donating to them/funding them. I personally did not find a link on their site. Could you please share it here? If somehow we can donate to GNCAP, we must create awareness regarding this!
Old 30th March 2021, 21:47   #53

Quote:
AFAIK, there is no way of donating to them/funding them. I personally did not find a link on their site. Could you please share it here? If somehow we can donate to GNCAP, we must create awareness regarding this!
Sorry chief... i didnt explain myself clearly. i was asking if there is a way to crowd fund them.

http://www.globalncap.org/about/#funding - this link is blank.

the site for Towards Zero Foundation also doesnt have any funding option either (although it has a 'patron') - http://www.towardszerofoundation.org/about/
Old 31st March 2021, 07:24   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraharah View Post
Sorry chief... i didnt explain myself clearly. i was asking if there is a way to crowd fund them.
Ah I see, but then again AFAIK there is just no way. The links too seem to be a dead end.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks