Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2020, 09:50   #16
BHPian

re: Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R Superbike Rider runs away from cops, then posts video clarification

No disrespect to anyone, but people like these bring bad name to biking community in India. If a cop stops you, you should stop. There is a reason for law enforcement to check on public and penalize wrong doers. He claims that he rode at speed of 200 kmph which is illegal on public road. He isn't risking himself but other commuters on roads as well. He claims that he cannot afford to rent track , then how could he afford a super bike? These kind of morons should be heavily penalized and their bikes should be confiscated. Imagine yourself getting hit by one of these bikers at 200 - 250 kmph. Cops should act more strictly or the RTA should cancel their registration for harmful driving.

P.S : Cop throwing that traffic cone on the rider is hilarious. Also the expression of Delhi cop (in white dress) was damn funny, looks like he wants to throw something on the biker but doesn't have anything on his hands.
WhiteSierra is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 10:43   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)
re: Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R Superbike Rider runs away from cops, then posts video clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
So are we saying just because some cops harass people its ok to not stop when you are asked to by cops? Can you imagine the state of lawlessness that will prevail.
Nowhere in my post did I mention that it was "okay" to evade the cops. My post comes from the point of view that the police have more power and must conduct themselves more responsibly than citizens. Toll booths are equipped with cameras and these bikers could easily have been tracked down. There was no need to resort to ape-like tactics such as chucking a traffic cone onto the biker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Perhaps your definition of a criminal is derived from a Disney character. Black and white stripes t shirt and a black band on the eye.
I think you're belittling my point a bit too much. Video cameras are installed at every toll booth and I am sure that tracking the bikers down could have been done in a much easier, more civilized fashion rather than throwing a traffic cone on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Are you speaking from experience of riding a super bike in this country or your speech is a general observation as a bystander?

Lets get one thing clear. If a cop on the highway, specially one entrusted at a check point stops you, you stop.

The minute you do not stop and try to run/evade, in your own words 'reasonable suspicion' become apparent and the rider comes within the gambit of a potential criminal. Once you are perceived as a potential criminal , throwing a cone to stop you is the least they could have done.
I speak from personal experience. I do not own a superbike but I have been harassed by cops when riding my bike for silly reasons. Once it was for honking at a helmetless policeman riding his splendor slowly on the fast lane of a 4 lane per side road, the other time it was by police who set up a D&D checkpoint in the night and when they discovered that I wasn't drunk (I was merely going from my house to my friend's place to complete some college assignment), they proceeded to harass me for not carrying all documents with me even though I had shown them soft copy on my phone.

Just so things are clear, I am not saying that what these bikers did was a great feat. I am merely saying that until police are trained to be more civilized (not chucking cones) and until reasonable suspicion basis is introduced for traffic stops, I am not surprised that there is a large sector of society who will not want to stop even if they haven't done much wrong simply because they are scared.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th September 2020 at 21:28. Reason: Using a more suitable word
IshaanIan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 17:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The audacity here is normalising cop's hitting you while you ride a bike because you did not pull over. We need to come out of our colonial mindset.
I definitely do not condone the action of the cops.

Every other wrongdoer/criminal today claims that his/her rights have been violated in one way or another with scant regard for the laws that they have broken.

Why do cops not simply challan people because its of little consequence for people who don't care to abide by the law. They will just ignore the challan!
https://www.cartoq.com/cops-arrest-traffic-fines/

People here (including you and I are likely to acknowledge our mistake and pay the challan or dispute it, but not ignore it. But that's not how it works for a large part of the population.

The action of the bikers was premeditated and completely wrong. Any further wrong was a consequence of their action.

Both actions are to be condemned, not selectively.

Last edited by rakirank : 5th September 2020 at 17:36.
rakirank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 05:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R Superbike Rider runs away from cops, then posts video clarification

Quote:
Every other wrongdoer/criminal today claims that his/her rights have been violated in one way or another with scant regard for the laws that they have broken.
Every wrong doer is not the same. For example a terrorist is not the same as a biker not stopping when asked to pull over. And we also have a massive outlier which is our Policing leaves a lot to be desired and that some of them are no less than criminals.

Quote:
Why do cops not simply challan people because its of little consequence for people who don't care to abide by the law. They will just ignore the challan!
https://www.cartoq.com/cops-arrest-traffic-fines/

People here (including you and I are likely to acknowledge our mistake and pay the challan or dispute it, but not ignore it. But that's not how it works for a large part of the population.
I am not a law expert but I dont think you can simply ignore a challan without consequences

https://english.jagran.com/india/ech...mount-10004568

The article you referred is typical click bait from a typical online blog, one dimensional, lacking depth, or understanding of the law, no research because that is the nature of a blog, its at best is someone's opinion and I dont think I want my laws to be made on someone's opinion For e.g. does it tell you how many total challans have been issued, how many have been paid and how many unpaid, how many have had further notices sent, how many have been asked to attend the court?

Ofcourse there will be people who will not pay inspite of the consequences and in which case the laws can be reviewed and made stricter or more punitive. It does not mean that the cop on duty may do as he/she may please.

Quote:
The action of the bikers was premeditated and completely wrong. Any further wrong was a consequence of their action.

Both actions are to be condemned, not selectively.
When did I condoned the action of the biker?
Old 6th September 2020, 09:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R Superbike Rider runs away from cops, then posts video clarification

Quote:
Every wrong doer is not the same. For example a terrorist is not the same as a biker not stopping when asked to pull over. And we also have a massive outlier which is our Policing leaves a lot to be desired and that some of them are no less than criminals.
Exactly! That is why when a terrorist tries to escape, there is a shoot out. When a biker runs away from a traffic checkpoint despite being asked to stop, a cone is thrown to make him stop.

Just like every wrong doer is not the same, the response to their transgressions is also not the same.

Last edited by bigron : 6th September 2020 at 09:50.
bigron is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 14:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly! That is why when a terrorist tries to escape, there is a shoot out. When a biker runs away from a traffic checkpoint despite being asked to stop, a cone is thrown to make him stop.

Just like every wrong doer is not the same, the response to their transgressions is also not the same.
So what so you propose cops should do for a range of transgressions given cops do not know by simply looking at a bike, what their crime is?
Old 6th September 2020, 15:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So what so you propose cops should do for a range of transgressions given cops do not know by simply looking at a bike, what their crime is?
You tell me what the cops should have done, since you have an issue with them throwing a cone in front of a fleeing biker?

The crime is not stopping when told to do so. Period.
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 04:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You tell me what the cops should have done, since you have an issue with them throwing a cone in front of a fleeing biker?

The crime is not stopping when told to do so. Period.
Police does not decide the punishment, there’s judiciary for that. As I said come out of the colonial mindset.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 07:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Police does not decide the punishment, there’s judiciary for that. As I said come out of the colonial mindset.
No punishment has been meted out yet. The stage right now is that of commission of an offence which is not stopping when asked to do so at a police check point and the police trying to apprehend the offender. The stage of punishment comes later.

And the Statute prescribes the punishment and its statutory limits and Judiciary interprets it. The Judiciary does not 'decide' punishment out of thin air.

So according to you, 'Judges' need to be present at every check point to decide on the 'punishment'.

Or you are suggesting that he should have been arrested and presented before a judge to decide on his punishment. And while we are at it, how do you propose he be arrested without force if he is fleeing.

Or you are proposing that since he is fleeing despite being asked to stop at a police check point he should have been allowed to go. I see where this is going.

We can talk about criminal jurisprudence at length ( it was one of my units in L.L.M) but I dont see it achieving anything.

Also, a fancy and frequently abused word like 'colonial mindset' has no relevance here.

Last edited by bigron : 7th September 2020 at 07:42.
bigron is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 08:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No punishment has been meted out yet. The stage right now is that of commission of an offence which is not stopping when asked to do so at a police check point and the police trying to apprehend the offender. The stage of punishment comes later.
Does the law states that they can use force for a routine traffic stop. The offence is in hindsight.

Quote:
So according to you, 'Judges' need to be present at every check point to decide on the 'punishment'.
Perfect case of reductio ad absurdum. The law should state (or already states) what to do in case someone does not stop when asked to for a routine traffic stop. I am sure it does not say, "hit the biker with a traffic cone". There are mitigating circumstances for not stopping as well, which is our police force isnt professional at best or at worst criminals in uniform.

Quote:
Or you are suggesting that he should have been arrested and presented before a judge to decide on his punishment. And while we are at it, how do you propose he be arrested without force if he is fleeing.
Arrested for what? What was charge on the biker before he decided he wont stop when asked by the police?

Quote:
Also, a fancy and frequently abused word like 'colonial mindset' has no relevance here.
"A colonial mentality is the internalized attitude of ethnic or cultural inferiority felt by people as a result of colonization, i.e. them being colonized by another group"

Police is there to serve public. They are public servants and therefore only have as much authority as prescribed in the law. They can do whatever they please and put public life in danger before they even know what the offence is.

P.S. My last post on this as it seems to be getting nowhere.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2020 at 09:19. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
extreme_torque is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 08:19   #26
HTC
BHPian

Our country has so many unemployed people, that govt can leverage them to update laws for each and every action.

For example, what should be bext course of action if a rider doesnt stop at routine check. Depending on outcome ( may be the rider has some legit emergency) rider can be fined by court. All are citizens. They will not runaway from country in fear of paying fine. There is no rule that all should be caught and fine settled then and there at the cop checking.

Imagine how many more violators can be caught if traffic cops just record the vehicle details and send challans later. Instead of collecting on spot.

Infact to reduce bribery, it should be made mandatory to pay fines online or at court.

But trying to hurt rider for not stopping puts the cops on the wrong side of law. What if the rider loses balance and dies?

Cops should command respect instead of demanding.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2020 at 09:19. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
HTC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 08:30   #27
BHPian

Stopped watching the video when he said I did 200.

At the start he confesses he had already decided not to stop. He knew he was wrong. The video is just a pathetic attempt to cover his misdeeds and lay the blame on the cops.

My logic is simple. When the cops ask you to stop, you stop. Its OK not to be happy with the outcome, you can always take it up in court.

From my experience cops stop people for various reasons. From the obvious things like no helmet or broken indicators, they also stop for security reasons (e.g. on a tip like narcotics are being smuggled on a four wheeler.

Obviously the cops don't know the make, model and registration of the car, so they will stop and examine all cars) Whatever the case, they are doing their job. It is your job to comply with their instructions.

I also surfed through the comments on the YT page. I am heartened to see almost everybody shaming the guy for breaking the law.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2020 at 09:20. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
RedTerrano is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 08:40   #28
BHPian

I don't know whether this nut deserves this thread. He is a "pucca" idiot. First he did not obey the police and next claiming he did unmentionable speeds while escaping.

Man, stupidity reaches new level.
Vasuki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 11:18   #29
BHPian

God!!

Don't know where the youth is headed? If a person can buy a superbike, imported at that, can't he use a little common sense that atleast the Indian highways are still not at a point where you can race around at 200 km/h?

Apart from not stopping when asked to stop by the traffic police, I feel these bikers need to face a trial on risking lives of other road users.

The video which he has shared is a proof sufficient to show how recklessly the bike was being ridden.
What I find funny is the biker in question also has the audacity to blame the government for not allowing him to ride his imported bike at speeds over 200kmph? He is publicly owning up that he made a mistake of not stopping. He does not even have proper documents / papers for his bike and yet is out there riding it at speeds in access of 200kmph?

Not saying what the traffic police did is justified. But come to think of it, there were so many things which could have gone wrong with the way the bike was being ridden. Someone might have lost their life for apparently no fault of theirs?

I would seriously and in all sincerity would love to see such people behind the bars who for their fun feel it's ok to risk someone else's life.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 11:38   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
When you stop at the red light well within the stop line, traffic Sub-inspector immediately start checking your number for violations while a constable comes to check your number plate, window tint, broken tail light, etc. Sometimes a random document or emissions check. Then if it's month end, allegations of jumping the previous red-light.

Unfortunately our country always penalizes the ones who are caught in their net. A businessman I knew never filed income tax returns because once you file it, the tax is expected every year, increasing every year, and subject to scrutiny by tax officials. As long as you never filed returns, your only disadvantage is that you cannot get a loan from a nationalized bank.
I am glad that cops are carrying out these checks. I religiously check my violations weekly and pay them off online (maybe 5 across multiple cars over the last 13 years in BLR). Unsure why you'd be out on the road with a illegal number plate or window tint or a broken tail light (inviting a rear-ending into your own vehicle).

Are you also saying we should not pay our taxes? Is the 'only disadvantage' not getting a loan from a nationalized bank?
itwasntme is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks