Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2020, 16:38   #16
BHPian

Re: American Kia Seltos (different platform from India) secures a good score in IIHS crash tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Has to be.
The Seltos in USA is a slightly larger model sharing platform with the Hyundai Kona, while our Seltos is on a low cost platform shared with Creta.
And I am guessing that they might be cutting corners and compromising on the overall engineering quality and refinement for the Indian model.
So all the superficial bling would be available, which appeals to indian buyers.
ssenhyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 16:41   #17
BHPian

Re: American Kia Seltos (different platform from India) secures a good score in IIHS crash tests

I know it won't be too relevant in this context but I just don't get it why most of the manufactures when selling their cars in India don't provide 3 point seatbelts for the rear middle passenger? This is almost 2021 and even the newest cars like the Seltos, Creta and Sonet comes with the almost useless lap belt!
aveoman19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 16:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I expect to see lots more of these kind of accidents once the parking brake becomes common (Creta already got it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
:
Now the electronic parking brake having "P" makes a newbie think that it's "power" mode and can press it during a drive.
I think one way to avoid these incidents is to somehow disable it (may be using software) when the car is in motion or atleast when the speed is above a certain threshold, say 10kmph. These brakes are certainly not for handbrake turns or drifting. They are purely for sophistication.

P.S. I sincerely hope brakes and accelerator padels won't become touchscreen one day.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 22:49   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
I think one way to avoid these incidents is to somehow disable it (may be using software).
The e-brake in Jeep Compass can be engaged/disengaged only when you hold down the normal break. Imagine the e-brake accidentally getting engaged while driving on a highway at 100 speed, it may be touched by a toddler or passenger. This implementation by Jeep is fail proof and I hope Creta has same functionality, else it is a disaster waiting to happen.

The Kia should send their cars for GNCAP, this is the hottest selling vehicle in India and we deserve to know it's crash worthiness. The USA model is on different platform and has different dimensions and features. It's crash results should not be used by sales team in India (I hope they are not using it).
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 08:42   #20

Why "e-assists" are so popular?
I dont see any real benefit apart from bragging rights. I think these electronic "assists" make the car feel Disconnected and Vague.

For example, coming from power steering to a electronic steering feel like playing NFS with a thrustmaster wheel. Completely disconnected and if it not calibrated well it's a nightmare to drive.
I don't remember which car it was maybe a Maruti but it's steering was so bad that we had to bring the steering back manually after turning. That was the most frustrating 30 mins behind the wheel!
Now even the brakes are going electric!

These are potential points of failure which would either need replacement or atleast intervention of the SVC resulting in increase in maintenance cost in the post warranty period.
tedha_ant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 10:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssenhyd View Post
And I am guessing that they might be cutting corners and compromising on the overall engineering quality and refinement for the Indian model.
So all the superficial bling would be available, which appeals to indian buyers.
Safety awareness among majority of Indian car buyers is relatively low and manufacturers are taking advantage of the same. There are many people who would look for fancy features overlooking safety.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 13:30   #22
BHPian

Re: American Kia Seltos secures a good score in IIHS crash tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mod Note: Thread title updated to reflect that it's a different platform!

EcoSport too - USA *starting* price is $20,000 and some change (Rs 15 lakhs). Can't beat the costs of India when manufacturing cheap cars.

I expect to see lots more of these kind of accidents once the stupid e-brake becomes common (Creta already got it).
My guess would be without knowing much of the technical differences between the two EcoSports, the only thing common between the Indian "Eco Sports" and the US "Eco Sports" would be the name.

For the same price point (USD price and INR price being the same) it is economically just not possible to have the same content for both the cars because of the differing tax structure, market size and dynamics etc.

Hence if the Indian EcoSports is cheaper than the USA one, I guess Ford has just made the skin look similar and kept the superficial fancy things intact while seriously compromising on the engineering quality, safety, structural integrity and component quality of the Indian model.

That is the only way they can do it IMO.

I do find the e Parking brake very convenient, others may differ
ssenhyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 13:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
The e-brake in Jeep Compass can be engaged/disengaged only when you hold down the normal break. .
The e-parking brake in the new civic too can only be engaged while pressing the brake. It would be thus very difficult to engage the e-parking brake accidentally.

If a e-parking brake can be engaged just by pressing the parking brake button, then that is a case of a very bad bad design
ssenhyd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks