Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2020, 17:31   #46
BHPian

Re: 2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Ind

Nothing personal here but as rightly said by Lambydude if at all the first generation and second generation EcoSport and Everest aka Endeavour would have got tested at GNCAP then no doubt both would scored not less than 4 stars if not 5 stars in the frontal and side impact tests for sure!
It is not fair to publish safer cars for India slogan without the best vehicles which emphasizes on safety first always!!
Ford vehicles don't need any introduction about their build quality and safety!!
Not having the EcoSport on list is a shame on GNCAP for its failure to include the urban SUV for testing and rating!!
RGT

Last edited by SDP : 19th July 2020 at 22:24. Reason: Typo
Old 19th July 2020, 18:07   #47
BHPian

Re: 2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Ind

Its amazing to see so many proud desis here but unfortunately, most are only social media Tigers. Sorry to be sarcastic but how many of the people commenting here actually buy a Tata or Mahindra? 10% maybe.

Unless people actually start practicing what they write here, condition of Indian manufacturers isn't going to improve.

Nonetheless, proud of Tata and Mahindra.

Last edited by devilicious : 19th July 2020 at 18:09. Reason: Correction
Old 19th July 2020, 18:40   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilicious View Post
Its amazing to see so many proud desis here but unfortunately, most are only social media Tigers. Sorry to be sarcastic but how many of the people commenting here actually buy a Tata or Mahindra? 10% maybe.
I am within that 10%, had a Tigor, but ownership experience was not so good and had to sell it off and planning to stay away from the brand for a very long time.
giri1.8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 10:07   #49
BHPian

Having worked in 3 corporates I can definitely say that a lot depends on company culture, ethics and how the leaders have been groomed over a period. I have seen a company where employee engagement was paramount and leaders were ready to take a hit on budget and finances once a while to balance this aspect. On the other side there is another company that had posters of being employee focused everywhere but does not think twice before taking some strong not so employee friendly decisions.

Indians inherently have been more morally bound and would try to be more people focussed in their own capacity than being outrightly financially driven. This can be a reason that we see these Indians companies coming at the forefront to give Indians some taste of global level safety which am sure takes a hit on their margins. So kudos to them for taking such a stand. If they can better their reliability it should help drive up the sales over a period of time.
Maverick Avi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 12:43   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
The heading is misleading, in my opinion. ..
You are right in that. But I have another stream of thought. May be the title is right. We never say that "Mr. X topped the All India ABCD exams out of those who attended the exams". So, if the manufacturers wanted their cars to be marked as safe, they should have sent more cars like how Tata or Mahindra have been doing. This is important than just another TV ad if they had taken safety rating is important in India too.
kptraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 22:33   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Global NCAP shares this:

2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Indian!-1.jpg

I think the whole point of this exercise was to make unsafe cars which sell in truckloads in India, safer.

Cars which are already known/perceived to be safe were mostly skipped for this reason, specially from Ford who already have some superbly safe offerings in all segments.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 22:21   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Cars which are already known/perceived to be safe were mostly skipped for this reason, specially from Ford who already have some superbly safe offerings in all segments.
I don't know which car you are talking about, I own 2 Ford's, both had 3* rating with unstable body shell! Ecosport is not tested yet I think. Endeavour should be safe I feel. Hope the new collaboration with Mahindra results in safer vehicles. I won't ever go back to a Ford unless they match Tata. I can live with an average steering feedback and handling, but not an unsafe car. Between any idea when is Nexon and Altroz getting DCT versions?
The Rationalist is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 15:35   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Global NCAP to continue Safer Cars for India campaign atleast till 2023.

Quote:
Global New Car Safety Assessment Programme (GNCAP) plans to continue crash testing India-made vehicles for the next three to four years at least. "During this period, we very much hope that the project could evolve into a permanent Indian NCAP," David Ward, president and CEO, GNCAP
https://www.autocarpro.in/news-natio...ill-2023-77872

Last edited by Venkatesh : 1st December 2020 at 15:37.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 09:08   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

2020 GNCAP Safety Rated Passenger Vehicles in India:

-In 2020, 43% of total passenger cars sold in India were at certain point tested by GNCAP, and awarded safety rating score. 5% of all the cars sold in 2020 were rated 5 star (highest) in crash test.

2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Indian!-gncapratedcarsindia.jpg

Safety Rating Distribution:

2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Indian!-safetyratingdistributionindiancars.jpg

- Volume is highly skewed towards 2 star rated products, all are hatchbacks which forms the majority of sales.

- Price point at which cars are sold in India has no significant correlation to safety ratings

- Best selling cars from Maruti, Hyundai and Kia tilts the scale on lower safety rating side

2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Indian!-oemwisesafecarsindia.jpg

Body shell integrity:

Active and passive safety feature is critical, but what is more vital is, how overall car body absorbs, channelize and dissipate collision impact energy through structural members of the car body.

2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Indian!-bodyshellintegrityindiancars.jpg

- New generation product from Mahindra and Tata have been found with stable bodyshell

2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Indian!-gncapbodyshellintegrityindiancars.jpg

2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Indian!-gncapbodyshellintegrityindiancarsstars.jpg
-Stable bodyshell does means better score
-Tata Tigor/Tiago were only products to score 4 star despite unstable bodyshell

Link
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:41   #55
BANNED

This is probably what GTO mean, when he says "because we don't run on the money of manufacturers".

Just read the statement of Hormazd Sorabjee here, the man has happily declared the GNCAP ratings hugely misleading:
2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Indian!-sonet.jpg

Looks they speak only in the favor of the ones who feed them!

Source: Page No. 13, Delhi Edition of The Hindu, 03-03-2021

Last edited by VKumar : 3rd March 2021 at 11:43.
VKumar is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 15:21   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Just read the statement of Hormazd Sorabjee here, the man has happily declared the GNCAP ratings hugely misleading
That guy is still in Autocar right? This just shows the standard of Indian publications / reviewers. Such a shame really. A post like this will make the fence sitters to jump and buy Tin cans.
amvj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 16:03   #57
Senior - BHPian

I believe that as an independent community of certain influence, we must take a nuanced view that
1) Appreciates the fact that GNCAP has set up a decent standard of testing the cars for crash outcomes under certain scenarios.

2) Understands that all scenarios may not be fully represented by the GNCAP process, some scenarios are unique to the Indian environment as such.

3) Considering 1 & 2, believes 100 % safety of occupants is NOT guaranteed ever, as it is contingent on basic precautions like wearing seatbelt properly by all occupants, avoiding rash driving, excessive speeds and avoiding driving in inclement conditions, maintaining your car to the fullest standards at all times (something as simple as improper tyre pressure can make a huge difference in a crash outcome)

4) Exhorts the authorities to provide transparency on the Indian crash safety testing protocol.

The reason I stated the above is that today's social media is highly polarised. The Us vs Them has carried on too far long now to debate anything of real consequence. As a result, regular customers never pause to think and rationalise before making choices.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 3rd March 2021 at 16:06.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 17:33   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Just read the statement of Hormazd Sorabjee here, the man has happily declared the GNCAP ratings hugely misleading.
Well I respect him for his expertise about the industry, but here he is neglecting one simple fact (knowingly or unknowingly) that airbags are the third line of defense in a crash. First and second being body shell and seat belts respectively. Airbags do not make an unstable body structure stable.

Just look at the rally cars, they use a very tough roll cage and five point, very tight, seat belts for protecting the driver and co driver. No airbags.

Last edited by YD14 : 3rd March 2021 at 17:38. Reason: added a phrase
YD14 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 23:47   #59
BHPian

Quote:
This is probably what GTO mean, when he says "because we don't run on the money of manufacturers".

Just read the statement of Hormazd Sorabjee here, the man has happily declared the GNCAP ratings hugely misleading:
[center]
I have a habit of reading The Hindu at night and the moment I read this section, I took a screenshot and opened TeamBHP to post it in appropriate thread and there I found your post, thanks for bringing it here.

It’s really shocking to see that someone who is supposed to be an industry “expert” is giving such vague statements about an institution which is working hard to create an awareness among Indian masses about the step-motherly treatment given by auto manufacturers to us aam jantas.

Thank god for TeamBHP
sachin_cs is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 01:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Looks they speak only in the favor of the ones who feed them!
Damage control all the way. Seltos crash test results have really exposed their bias towards certain brands. But I love the way they still are trying to cover it up. I have seen quite a few popular youtube auto channels using the exact same lines used by Hormazd. It sounds more like a blanket statement which sales folks give while trying to project their products to customer.

Hope GNCAP picks up the top 10 selling cars and test them rather than just picking random cars. What stops them from testing a i20 or Creta?

Last edited by SoumenD : 4th March 2021 at 01:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks