Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2020, 18:43   #91
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Gujarat couple use sunroof to come out of drowning Mercedes, but eventually die

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post

Don't know if (at least) private school owners will ever feel the need to bring about a change and invest in swimming pools and regular swimming classes for children, but the fact that they currently don't is not only shameful, but an embarrassment for us Indians as a whole.
Quite a lots of school here in Delhi NCR have pools, swimming is part of PE with dedicated periods. Though usefulness of it is questionable, as my daughter who is attending these classes since last 5-6 years still haven't learnt how to swim.
BANDHAV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 21:23   #92
BHPian

Re: Gujarat couple use sunroof to come out of drowning Mercedes, but eventually die

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
Quite a lots of school here in Delhi NCR have pools, swimming is part of PE with dedicated periods. Though usefulness of it is questionable, as my daughter who is attending these classes since last 5-6 years still haven't learnt how to swim.
5-6 years is a long time. how much has she learned? Swimming through complete length of a pool depends on stamina.

One can learn how to swim in less than a month. Learning process is quicker for kids and Young folks as their body is more agile.

I am telling this from experience. Me, my 3 other cousins ( all aged between 12-16 yrs), my dad and my uncle started taking swimming classes at the same time. We teenage boys learned with 15 days however it took almost a month for my dad and uncle to learn the same.

Back to the topic:
If the lady or the man in point knew swimming, they could have easily crossed the water and could have come to shore in the still water of the lake.
Once you know swimming in pool, you can swim in lakes as the water is mostly still.
INJAXN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 07:51   #93
BHPian

Looking at the video, the car wouldn't have sunk. Even if it did settle down to the bottom, the couple could have stood on the roof and kept their heads above water. In the panic, they jumped into the water and died in about 10 feet of water. Sad.
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 08:04   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope this young couple did not have kids. If they did it then more than two lives have been destroyed. I cant even imagine the trauma of a young child who loses both parents all of a sudden.

I would not blame the couple for their panic. Even when you know how to swim you can get gripped by panic - and that panic is all enveloping. Despite being an experienced swimmer with some time in rivers, lakes and the sea I have been caught in panic twice that completely swamped me for easily over half a minute on both occasions. Once was as a 16-year old swimming across the Gomati in Lucknow {about 200 to 250 meteres wide} and losing my orientation in mid-stream where the flow is fastest. The other was in 2010, as a much older man, in Mauritius when after some touristy under water sea swimming {in about 30 or 40 feet water} I surfaced and couldn't find the boat.

RIP

Last edited by V.Narayan : 6th June 2020 at 08:05.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 10:20   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

What is most disturbing is this trend of making videos of everything that is happening. Earlier people just didn't help and stood watching, but now they make these videos which is even more nauseating. They didn't know how to swim, they didn't have any rope or such to help the couple are all speculations. To be honest, I am quite confident that the person who shot the video, didn't even spend 5 seconds in trying to figure out a way to help the couple but his first and only instinct must have been to shoot the video and share on his social platforms as a souvenir.
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 11:56   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What is most disturbing is this trend of making videos of everything that is happening. Earlier people just didn't help and stood watching, but now they make these videos which is even more nauseating. They didn't know how to swim, they didn't have any rope or such to help the couple are all speculations. To be honest, I am quite confident that the person who shot the video, didn't even spend 5 seconds in trying to figure out a way to help the couple but his first and only instinct must have been to shoot the video and share on his social platforms as a souvenir.
Quite agree, but these video helps us understand different situation we can face while driving a vehicle.

Who would have thought a S class, with all the safety features would be trapped in such a way before nature?

Yes I know accidents can happen and not even the safest vehicle would be safe enough.

Also even though it is heart wrenching, one look at the helpless couple reminds up of the reality. If this video can save a single person, then I say it has done a great service.

God bless those departed souls.

Last edited by Vasuki : 6th June 2020 at 11:58.
Vasuki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 15:21   #97

Illogical, unmarked, disproportionate and sudden speed breakers that appears so often and out of the blue on our roads are a serious concern.
This article is such an unfortunate incident! Although the driver may be responsible for being overconfident and too reliant on the technology in hand while being clueless of the road, but some of our country’s road conditions can out-do even 100s of years in Road Safety R&D.
There is an urgent need to regularise the standards for road safety in our country. A small example, today a person can drive from Kanyakumari to Delhi with his vehicle’s break-lamp not functioning and no official will stop this person or fine him for this crime. There are trucks and busses and many other automobiles in the same category of idiots. This is just a simple & small example of how far behind we are when it comes to the implementation of road safety regulations. Although there are much much bigger issues also with our road safety implementation.

I pray for the grieving family. RIP
MBA911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 22:45   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

I would not blame the couple for their panic. Even when you know how to swim you can get gripped by panic - and that panic is all enveloping.
To this I would like to add that even if one knows swimming, please don't be a hero and jump in untill you know how to rescue. Rescue is special tactics where you need to make sure that the drowning person does not prevent you from being afloat. Untill and unless you are very strong swimmer and you know how to handle the situation, my advice would be to find a rope, or some sort of help. Sorry to sound selfish that's the best possible strategy.
Further what distrubs me the most is that people not only shoot such incidents but also post online. I am sure it doesn't serve any informative purpose. It only is plain sadist to post someone's last moments. If at all, this video is property of the relatives and law enforcement.

Last edited by bblost : 7th June 2020 at 00:09. Reason: Fixed quote tag.
utkarsha87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 19:48   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Correctly posted this fact. One of my college mate who knows to swim well and is tall and well built, while trying to rescue another two drowned friends drowned himself along with them. It's easy to say anyone who knows swimming to try and rescue. But that's risky too. A drowning person can grab your leg out of panic and that's it ! Both victim and rescuing person will succumb to drowning effect.
Absolutely right! I have experienced this myself when I went (about 30 years ago) with my friends to a Public Swimming pool. As the shallow side was full, we went to the deeper side (9') of the pool and they held on to the ladder. I was treading water and was telling them to hold on the ladder and bob their heads in and out of water, Inhale above and exhale below. Stuff like that.

After a while, one Idiot friend seeing me tread water thought he could do the same and left the ladder and down he went in a flurry of splashes and bubbles. Before I could take a short breath to go down to grab him, drowning friend grabbed my foot and dragged me in. I thought I was a goner cause drowning friend was not letting go. I was too far from the ladder. Luckily, my other friend who was also holding on the ladder shouted for help. The life guard dived in and fished out my friend first. He was dumped on the lawn where he brought up a part of the pool water. Really, really Close shave!!
boohooper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 05:24   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Similar incident, but this time the couple were lucky to be rescued by onlookers around :

Locals Jump Into River To Save Newlywed Couple In A Half-Sunk Car

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd June 2020 at 05:26.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks