Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2019, 22:18   #1
BANNED

Bangalore: Policemen caught with fake devices to check alcohol level, suspended

A total of 4 policemen from Bangalore have been suspended. They were caught with three fake alcometers, Rs 32,000 in cash (collected via fines from bikers) and a few driving licenses have been recovered from them.
Quote:
An Assistant Sub Inspector (ASI) of Police and three constables were caught for using fake alcometers to detect the level of alcohol in commuters. The four policemen included Muniyappa, ASI and constables Gangaraj, Nagaraj and Harsha.

These police personnel were found to have employed men from outside the department and used privately purchased alcometers to conduct drink and drive checks to harass bikers and car owners. They were found to be using private alcometer as against those issued by the Government to conduct these check and would collect fines without issuing any challans.

Following several complaints received, the four policemen have been suspended. They were found to be inspecting vehicles at the Srinivagilu Junction which falls under the Ashoknagar traffic police limits. Acting on the complaints received, a team of traffic police, headed by ACP Satish and Kavita rushed to the spot and found that there were 5 persons assisting the accused.

While these 5 privately employed persons managed to escape, the cops on duty were caught and their private alcometers were seized. They had also collected Rs.32,000 in terms of cash while several driving licenses were also found with them.

The 5 persons, in plain clothes, from outside the police department, would apprehend the motorists and two wheeler riders, subject them to DD tests and then send them on to ASI Muniyappa who would in turn collect the fines from them. He would also threaten them with dire consequences of seizure of vehicle and hefty fines upto Rs.15,000 in court.

The accused have been suspended and further inquiry into the case is being sought. In the mean time the Viveknagar police have registered a case of extortion and misuse of official position against the accused ASI Muniyappa, and constables Gangaraj, Nagaraj, and Harsha, all attached to Ashoknagar traffic police station.

Drink driving checks are common in Bengaluru but the drink driving check racket which surfaced now, was conducted by police personnel who were neither tasked with checking drink driving and nor were they given approved alcometers. It is suspected that this racket has been going on for the past month.
Good lord, whom to trust?

Source: Rushlane

Note: Don't know if this is the correct forum for this topic, request moderators to move it to the relevant forum if this is not one.
wheelguy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 09:04   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore: Policemen caught with fake devices to check alcohol level, suspended

Man, we are seriously a country of frauds. If the police also cheat, who to go to? That said, the best defence in this situation would be to not have even a sip of alcohol before driving .
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 09:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore: Policemen caught with fake devices to check alcohol level, suspended

But in case one registered alcohol on the alcometer, shouldn't his blood sample be tested to determine the exact content?

Never drink, never been caught so never know the correct procedure here :-p
Old 18th December 2019, 09:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Man, we are seriously a country of frauds. If the police also cheat, who to go to? That said, the best defence in this situation would be to not have even a sip of alcohol before driving .
Very true... Till very recently, in my place, the cops didn't have alcometers. They used to smell the alcohol out . Too bad that just a whiff, would mean you end up paying fines.
Old 18th December 2019, 10:20   #5
Team-BHP Support

This is definitely not an isolated incident; this bunch of cops is definitely not the only one to have rigged meters.

IIRC, a BHPian from Pune had posted a similar incident where the alcohol meter showed he way over the limit whereas a hospital blood test confirmed he was way under. A learning from his experience is that, always go to Govt. hospitals; tests conducted at private hospitals are not valid if the meter is off. Not driving after consumption is the ideal policy.

In the US: cops are supposed to get all such devices (breathalyzers, speed guns) re-calibrated every six months to ensure the readings are as accurate as they can be. We are miles away from such transparency.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 16:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
This is definitely not an isolated incident; this bunch of cops is definitely not the only one to have rigged meters.

.... A learning from his experience is that, always go to Govt. hospitals; tests conducted at private hospitals are not valid if the meter is off. Not driving after consumption is the ideal policy.
I remember on the 23rd of August this year at close to midnight I was subjected to a DD test near OTM Jubliee Hills, Hyderabad while on the way back home after a movie and an early dinner.

The policeman on duty tried to thrust a Alcometer with a used pipe( means the same pipe was used on the driver before) into my mouth.

Before this, I could see something change hands between the driver of a Latur registered Bolero that was trying very hard to somehow escape the test.
I am quite sure the driver of the Bolero was not in proper control as I had tailed him (wary of overtaking the person) for a kilometer nearly.

I took umbrage at this, and my colleague too egged me on to not take this used pipe of an Alcometer, usage thing very lightly.

Seeing the 'commotion', the officer on duty then made his way towards my car and brought out a packet of plastic 'blower-extender'( tore open the bag of plastic which had maybe 20-25 such pieces inside) and asked to blow into the breathalyzer with a new 'blower-extender'.

I wonder how much of a difference does a used plastic blower create, but in absence of a blood test these devices are used as a final evidence gathering mechanism.

Tampering of such devices in police control to generate a false positive means added onus on the driver to request for a blood test, etc( even when not drunk).
That's quite a hassle!

With such unscrupulous persons around, my parents advice of being home before 10.30-11pm rings so true.

Regards

Last edited by HsekarK : 18th December 2019 at 16:43. Reason: grammar+punctuation
Old 18th December 2019, 19:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Actually these guys should be praised for going above and beyond the call of duty. In their off duty hours they have been conducting unsanctioned drunk driving tests with machines purchased from their own pocket. These are the kind of cops who keep our streets clean.
Kind of like a Batman team. Kudos to them. Hope they get their rewards.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 08:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Actually these guys should be praised for going above and beyond the call of duty. In their off duty hours they have been conducting unsanctioned drunk driving tests with machines purchased from their own pocket. These are the kind of cops who keep our streets clean.
Kind of like a Batman team. Kudos to them. Hope they get their rewards.
Don't worry. They have already received the apt reward and the courts may promote them further.
Old 19th December 2019, 09:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am a teetotaller all my life. Have had one sip of alcohol my entire life when the waiter heard Virgin Mojito as Mojito.

I know how cops operate, especially the ones who are trying to meet targets, and the ones who are like hanging around the naka rather than being on-duty. This is like passive income for them.

Cop 1: Yaar bhook bahut lagi hai, zomato se biryani mangate hai, Persian darbar ki.
Cop 2: Woh to 500 rupaiya per plate hai!
Cop 3: Hold my cutting! (Goes and nabs a vehicle)
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks