Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2019, 12:52   #1
BHPian

Air-freshener spray blows up a car

News Source
Air-freshener spray blows up a car-airfreshener-car.jpg
Quote:
A driver caused an explosion in his car when he lit a cigarette after spraying air freshener. He used "excessive" amounts of the aerosol scent before sparking up. Gas from the spray ignited, blew out the windscreen and windows and buckled the doors but the man escaped with only minor injuries.
We probably need to be extra cautious while using aerosol sprays, deodorants, even spray paints, particularly when working in a confined space. They contain high levels of flammable volatiles, that can quickly form explosive clouds.

I generally avoid air-fresheners, even the normal wick types causes headache and discomfort. Actually I have bitter experiences to share. Once while servicing, they kept an air-freshener without my consent, I didn't notice during billing since it was a small item. Now I cannot return, so left it as is and eventually regretted. The liquid oozed out of the wick by capillary action and dripped down the music console on the dash board. The solvents used in air-fresheners are very strong, it dissolves plastics .

My dash is anyway spoiled but my greater worry was, if this thing can dissolve plastics and we happily inhale it ?? what would happen to our lungs, to internal organs after it gets absorbed in blood, to our kids ?

Sometimes I feel it is better to stay with old fashioned way of hanging jasmine flower mala on to the RVM.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 17th December 2019 at 12:54.
Thermodynamics is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 13:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Air-freshener spray blows up a car

He must have emptied an entire can, for puffing up the air inside a car so much with flammable particles. If he wouldn't have lit up that cigarette, still I am sure it would have affected his lungs.

I too feel the air fresheners are more risk than comfort, and a flower mala does wonder for freshening up the atmosphere inside the car.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 13:18   #3
BHPian

Yes all these different categories of sprays are highly inflammable. With car perfumes there is an added headache of installing them properly so that they don't tumble around. I too kept room fresheners for few months once, then it was stolen when I gave it for car wash. The Chinese ones available in car accessory shops have no MRP and sold at whatever price they want to. I have found a simple inexpensive option of Odonil. Its easily available, does the job perfectly, is neither too strong nor too mild and you don't have to worry if it is lost or stolen. But now I am wondering how inflammable is odonil? Does it also make the cabin inflammable?
huntrz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 13:44   #4
BHPian

I usually use the body mist liquid sprays in the car. They do not last that long but neither are they very expensive..
A mild essence is enough in the car and its a liquid spray so no issue of being inflammable.
A small bottle cost around 150-200 rupees and last for a couple of months.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 18:59   #5
BHPian

Potential harmful effects of air fresheners
Did some research on ingredients of air fresheners. According to this report, In addition to fragrance, these things emit allergens and toxic pollutants including Benzene, Formaldehyde, Terpenes, Styrene, Phthalate esters, and Toluene. Some of these are proven carcinogen (source) and affect reproductive system development (source)

Can you think of possible solutions to avoid or minimize use of air fresheners. May be ideas to keep your car mould free, may be avoid eating inside car, periodically clean the cooling coil, replace cabin ac filter etc. Natural fragrances ?

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 17th December 2019 at 19:17. Reason: Addition
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 15:44   #6
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
My dash is anyway spoiled but my greater worry was, if this thing can dissolve plastics and we happily inhale it ?? what would happen to our lungs, to internal organs after it gets absorbed in blood, to our kids ?

Sometimes I feel it is better to stay with old fashioned way of hanging jasmine flower mala on to the RVM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Can you think of possible solutions to avoid or minimize use of air fresheners.
...Natural fragrances ?
Some of these topics were discussed in an earlier thread as well.
Here (Is Ambipur in-car perfume harmful?)
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed