Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2019, 17:02   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Engineering solutions to reduce the speed of vehicles on the road

^^ Except for the initial fad, my views on having nitrogen in tires is that they are nothing but farce. First, you never know if you're indeed getting pure nitrogen and even if you do, that will be max ~93%. Our cars rarely see speeds above 100-120 KMPH, that too on highways and the only benefit that I could see from Nitrogen is to keep the tires running cooler. I am not convinced that tires need nitrogen to keep them cool even if cruising for 100KMPH all day. May be for sports cars, race tracks etc- but for average commuting?

In my personal (but limited) experience, I have not felt that nitrogen seeps out slower than normal air. So, I am not sure about Mr. Gadkari 's statement.

Coming to Silicon with rubber, I am also not sure of the thermal and mechanical properties of silicon-rubber mix and hence will leave the discussion to the more knowledgeable.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 20:16   #47
BHPian

Re: Engineering solutions to reduce the speed of vehicles on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
^^ Except for the initial fad, my views on having nitrogen in tires is that they are nothing but farce.

Coming to Silicon with rubber, I am also not sure of the thermal and mechanical properties of silicon-rubber mix and hence will leave the discussion to the more knowledgeable.

Regards,
Saket
Is that "silicon" or "silicone"? And our government babus are not to be trusted on their statements "for the public good". Nitrogen filling does not do any good for normal vehicles, the idea here may to be to make money off nitrogen filling stations.

All commercial vehicles use retreaded tyres. What is the point at which the retreading shop determines the tyres have to be discarded? Any standards? Are these certified to be safe? Any oversight by the government? Unlikely.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks