Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2019, 10:35   #16
BHPian

Re: Global NCAP: India-made Maruti Ignis & Honda Amaze crash tested

Whenever I see these kind of news where they would highlight ‘Made in India’ cars getting 3/4 stars, it frustrates me on why the media cannot differentiates between ‘Made in India’ and ‘Made for India’ cars and highlight that aspect?
kavensri is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 10:39   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hardly any difference in the kerb weights, variant to variant. I'm optimistic about the Indian Amaze & would trust Honda more than low-cost driven Maruti.

Here are the Indian kerb weights:
Global NCAP: India-made Maruti Ignis & Honda Amaze crash tested-annotation-20190530-103619.jpg

And South African (both taken from Honda's websites). Rightmost is the CVT:
Global NCAP: India-made Maruti Ignis & Honda Amaze crash tested-annotation-20190530-103259.jpg

Maruti, on the other hand . Shame on the damn leader of our market. Leaders usually set an example, but Maruti is way too focused on the financials & its share price . Old habits die hard.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 10:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Global NCAP: Maruti Ignis, Honda Amaze & Toyota Avanza crash-tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVN View Post
Overnight development or overnight introduction of stringent laws / regulations does not work in India. It has to be drip fed. I may be wrong here but I am sure Maruti knows about the standards of our upcoming crash test and hence termed the Swift as being crash test ready. One test drive was enough to convince me to stay away from that car. The likes of Maruti will continue to manufacture and sell unsafe cars till the time fuel economy is placed above safety.
I beg to differ. With respect to emissions, the introduction of Euro VI from 2020 is rather bigger leap as it requires investments in upstream refining followed by ramping up of supply chain of complaint fuel.

It is expected that the emission standards will be at par with global best practices starting the next FY. Manufacturers will be falling in line too.

Drip feed? - No its not !

Last edited by i74js : 30th May 2019 at 11:00.
Old 30th May 2019, 11:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Global NCAP: Maruti Ignis, Honda Amaze & Toyota Avanza crash-tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Why can't we make the international safety benchmarks as standards for India. What exactly is the need of reinventing the wheel with a fresh approach and an absolutely new standard for one of the largest car markets in the world?
Car ownership penetration in still very low (even though our crowded cities suggest otherwise ) and implementing such regulations will make vehicles much more expensive putting them out of reach of the 'common' man. This will lead to fewer sales, lower tax collections, fewer jobs in this industry, etc...

This is why regulations will always be introduced in small steps (although BS4 - BS6 in 3 years is a huge step) and the onus will always be on the car buying public or manufacturers to choose safety over that touch screen system or a sun roof.

Having said this, Maruti being the market leader in India should not be taking safety for granted. If other manufacturers are able to make safer cars in the same price bracket, there is no excuse for Maruti. The Heartech platform is an all new modern platform and all cars from this platform have poor crash ratings with unstable structures.
fiat_tarun is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 15:39   #20
BHPian

Well, this thread should to some extent put an end to the propaganda that's being circulated on the forum about the supposedly superior Suzuki 'TECT' body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What Swift and WagonR misses out, and NEXA cars like Baleno (along with Arena cars like Ciaz and Brezza) gains is Suzuki TECT body. As claimed by the brand - Suzuki's Total Effective Control Technology results in effective absorption and dispersion of crash energy, and this could very well improve the NCAP ratings.

So we can't really predict the Baleno's crash rating based on the earlier results from Swift. (Even though most of these cars are on the same platform).
The 'TECT' body structure has been found to be unstable.

Quote:
The Ignis achieved three stars for Adult Occupant Protection in the frontal crash test at 64km/h. The vehicle structure was rated as unstable and offered weak chest protection for the driver.
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 00:16   #21
BANNED

One shouldn't fall for such gimmicks of greedy car makers in an unregulated environment like ours. They will fight tooth and nail against implementation of safety norms for our vehicles while deceiving us with such 'international' hogwash.

Link

Tata Nano was touted to have passed all European regulations way back in 2009.

In a glancing comparison, Tata Nano with the hatch weighed 760kgs. An Ignis or a Baleno weighs a paltry 100kgs more while being 3 foot longer than a Nano. That appears to be a glaring shortcoming even when one claims to have used space-age metallurgy.

P.S - I don't understand rocket science.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 4th June 2019 at 00:21.
COMMUTER is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 07:34   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Sanidhya Mukund for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
While researching on the Maruti Suzuki Ignis, I came across this article from Zigwheels that talked about the safety about the Maruti Ignis.

In that article, they had quoted C.V Raman, who had stated that the body structures of the Indian Ignis and the European Ignis are the same. However, when Euro NCAP had tested the European spec Ignis, they had rated the body shell as 'stable'. But when Global NCAP, which has a lower standard than it's European counterpart, tested the made in India + sold in South Africa model, they clearly rated the body structure as 'unstable'. This clearly shows that C.V.Raman had made a misleading statement.

The article by Zigwheels can be found at the following link:

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...ean-car/27427/
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 07:58   #23
BHPian

Enough of these dual standards.Hope the Indian government passes a law soon that makes it mandatory for the car manufacturers to offer the same safety equipment (across all variants) that is offered in international markets. In fact the government should go one step further and make the Collision Prevention systems standard as well.
thehighwayman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 13:48   #24
VVN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighwayman View Post
Enough of these dual standards.Hope the Indian government passes a law soon that makes it mandatory for the car manufacturers to offer the same safety equipment (across all variants) that is offered in international markets. In fact the government should go one step further and make the Collision Prevention systems standard as well.
Well said.

Additionally, OEMs should not have the option of skipping out on passenger side airbags. GOI should seriously look at the accident stats and bring out a law which forces OEMs to provide 2 airbags in base variants and 6 in anything above the base. Yes it will make cars expensive but it is very much needed.
Old 7th March 2020, 21:43   #25
BHPian

Quote:
The Honda Amaze achieved a solid four stars for Adult Occupant Protection in the frontal crash test at 64km/h. The vehicle structure was rated as stable as well as the footwell area. The car offers seatbelt pretensioners for both front passengers and seatbelt reminder for the driver.

The child dummies contacted the interior of the car, showing evidence of head exposure and the probability of injury.
This crash test has been lingering in my mind for quite sometime as kind of 50:50. The test results are good but it is tested on the car Made for Africa under #SaferCarsForAfrica campaign. However, the dimensions of the car is exactly the same as Indian version as mentioned already in this thread. In an attempt to clear my confusion, I went ahead and wrote to Honda on this. They took a good one week to respond and came back as follows:

My question:
Quote:
As per media reports on Global Ncap, Honda Amaze car is rated 4* for adult safety under safe cars for Africa. Is it the same car that is sold in India? Are the same Global ncap ratings applicable to Indian Honda Amaze?
Answer:
Quote:
At the outset, we thank you for approaching Honda with your query on the car safety.

We wish to inform that the Vehicle Body Shell is the most fundamental and integral aspect of car safety. All Honda cars sold in India, like any Honda car sold anywhere globally, have ACE (Advanced Compatibility Engineering) Body structure, which ensures structural rigidity and integrity of the body shell of the car, in case of collision.

This ACE body is accomplished by using numerous grades of high tensile steel which crumple in key areas and remain rigid in others and in-turn distribute collision energy evenly and redirect it away from the passenger compartment.

Since India does not have G-NCAP testing as a regulation, the models sold in India have not been subjected to G-NCAP Crash Testing. However, these models have successfully undergone collision tests at Honda's own state of the art crash testing facility in Japan.

We sincerely hope the above would help us to clarify the details learned from us
The response is as expected that there is no regulation on Global NCAP for India. However, inspite of the fact that Amaze is not sold in Japan, Honda India claims that this model has been tested in their crash testing facility in Japan. How reliable is their crash test facility in Japan? If anyone has idea on the Japan crash test facility and how does it compare with Global NCAP, it would be great.
skarthiksr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 22:06   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
The response is as expected that there is no regulation on Global NCAP for India. However, inspite of the fact that Amaze is not sold in Japan, Honda India claims that this model has been tested in their crash testing facility in Japan. How reliable is their crash test facility in Japan? If anyone has idea on the Japan crash test facility and how does it compare with Global NCAP, it would be great.
Well GNCAP is a standard. The Amaze might be tested in their Japanese crash test facility (not sure if it's the Indian model they talked about in the mail.. seems like it) but we don't know if they tested it to JNCAP standard or really any standard.
Old 10th March 2020, 10:47   #27
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@skarthiksr So instead of directly saying that both cars are different, they are stating the same in round about way.
vennarbank is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks