Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2019, 23:01   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Forget rear seat belts, there are Seat Belt Alarm Stoppers online. I never knew about them until my cousin showed them in his car. It was given to him by his cousin in turn.

Let me add my two cents!

There are some cabbie drivers, I had seen who just fasten a seatbelt and sat onto them. Aren't they smarter?

Just today, one of my colleagues asked me, does a car come with seatbelt in the middle seat on the rear side? It was really sad to hear. Safety is always on the last to many people.

I hope the situation will get better!

Safe ride!

Last edited by RedStallion : 23rd January 2019 at 23:06.
RedStallion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 14:32   #62
BHPian

Re: Over 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Even at low speeds, 20-30 km/h you could be seriously injured in a crash. So you really ought to wear your seat belt always. Short journeys, long journeys, low speed, high speed. Always.
Exactly, I remember but unable to re-collect when & where, there was a post demonstrating the need of seat belts. That particular machine (which was being displayed as part of road safety awareness) moved at a speed of just 11 kmph & then it suddenly stops, anyone sitting on that machine experienced a really nasty push ahead. If they were not wearing seat belts they would surely fly. All this at just 11 kmph, imagine what 20-30 kmph can do.
Venkat_Figo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 14:40   #63
BHPian

Most of the Uber and OLA cabs don't have seat belts in the backseat. It will be hidden in the trunk.

I have seen many kids standing in the car either on the rear seat or between the front seats.

Many moms sit with their infants on the front passenger seat and even worse, dads driving with the kid on his lap.
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 20:00   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkat_Figo View Post
Exactly, I remember but unable to re-collect when & where, there was a post demonstrating the need of seat belts. That particular machine (which was being displayed as part of road safety awareness) moved at a speed of just 11 kmph & then it suddenly stops, anyone sitting on that machine experienced a really nasty push ahead. If they were not wearing seat belts they would surely fly. All this at just 11 kmph, imagine what 20-30 kmph can do.
I usually ask, "Have you ever walked into a wall?" Or a low branch, beam, etc?

It hurts, right? At just 2-3km/hr.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 00:42   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Even at low speeds, 20-30 km/h you could be seriously injured in a crash. So you really ought to wear your seat belt always. Short journeys, long journeys, low speed, high speed. Always.

Jeroen
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStallion View Post
Dear Jeroen,

I always use the seat belt while driving. I do it even when I enter my society gate. (Distance to home and society gate is approximately 200 m)

Thanks.
That's my bad. English is not my first language. So pardon the ambiguity. Saying "I use seatbelt as lap belt for shorter rides" means actually for the kid. Because it is I who has to do the work, I said "I." I personally use the 3-point all the time. Without the booster, the shoulder belt rubs against his neck.

Judge me all you want, but I'm not going to go through the process of buckling and unbuckling a 5-point harness around my son for a drive to the local market where I will have to get my son in and out of the car several times. For longer/faster drives, the kid's seat is the way to go.

The whole point behind the invention of the seatbelt was to make it easy-on-easy-off. I wish it were so easy that a toddler could do it. My son too doesn't like his seat for shorter rides because then his ingress/egress is at an adult's mercy. Hence, a lap belt for the kiddo during shorter rides at moderate speeds.

Believe me, I know the importance of safety. I wear a 2-piece leather race suit to work on a 150cc bike. The craze would've worn off in a couple of weeks had it been a 10-minute task to wear and take it all off. My riding style is very different when my leathers are soaking the conditioner at home and I'm on two wheels with just the helmet, gloves, and riding shoes (instead of boots.)

Hell, I even wear a half-face with eye protection, short gloves, and sneakers when I know I'm doing the grocery runs to the nearest sabji mandi. The convenience of being able to talk to the vendors without taking the lid off, not having to carry it, not worrying about forgetting it at a shop, and not worrying about dropping and damaging it is worth the trade-off. Same goes for the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
I have seen many kids standing in the car either on the rear seat or between the front seats.
When my wife decides to unbuckle my kid and let him roam freely in the back seat, I warn them verbally. Then I push the brakes (after making sure there's no traffic behind me) and it works. Every. Single. Time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkat_Figo View Post
Since logic doesn't seem to help me, I now tell people "we paid for the car with our hard earned money & seat belts are not free in the car, why pay for something & not use it, just waste of money".
Reminds me of the sticker I got with Tata Insurance: "Wear your seatbelts. You've paid for them."

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 29th January 2019 at 00:56.
Old 29th January 2019, 00:50   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
it is worth the trade-off. Same goes for the car.
Famous last words as they say! Until you experience the trade off, need to take your kid to the hospital or do you face in because some bozo slammed on the brakes and you and half face helmet hit a curb or a bumper.

Be safe!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 01:32   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Judge me all you want, but I'm not going to go through the process of buckling and unbuckling a 5-point harness around my son for a drive to the local market where I will have to get my son in and out of the car several times.
Just the sort of situation in which accidents are likely.

It really is worth making that extra effort.

OK, I know this is something you are aware of and thinking about, but maybe you could revisit the mechanics, seeking an easier and quicker system for securing your son.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 21:14   #68
Senior - BHPian

It's not that our typical (aggregator) cab always has functional rear seat belts, what with the buckle tucked out of harm's way. But this rear seat of an (Ola) Etios really takes the cake for 'neatly' tucking the belt itself out of sight!
Over 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts-img_20190131_074146.jpg

It took me a while to even spot them and probably needs the rear seats flipped before one can even yank them out!
GeeTee TSI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 22:43   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Judge me all you want, but I'm not going to go through the process of buckling and unbuckling a 5-point harness around my son for a drive to the local market where I will have to get my son in and out of the car several times. For longer/faster drives, the kid's seat is the way to go.
No one said, it's not a pain. I completely empathize with you.

I once said the same thing when my wife sternly reminded me, 'It's making a habit of this'; and I agreed. I pick up kids from day care which is about a 2 minute drive and I have 2 kids, of which one is in a full child seat, while other is in a booster seat.
Now my 3 year old knows how to put a seat belt on; however I am not sure if its a great idea as he also knows how to take it off
pratyush6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 22:57   #70
Senior - BHPian

Since August 2016 I am being driven around by drivers. The best part about it is that I have developed a habit of buckling myself up immediately after getting into the car.

I even dig out the hidden seatbelt buckles in Ola/Uber to strap myself in.

Recently I attended a friend's b'day party and I was inebriated by the time I left the party. Next day I called him up to check to ensure that my conduct was proper, I also asked him that did he drop me to my car as I was not able to recollect the same. He confirmed the same and told me that I got into the car and buckeld myself promptly, even in that state. The only thing I felt proud about my that day's behaviour.

I have developed this into a compulsive habit.
Old 3rd February 2019, 09:26   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post

Many moms sit with their infants on the front passenger seat and even worse, dads driving with the kid on his lap.

I have given up trying to get my spouse to teach my son to do this (he is 5). Her argument is he is a kid, how can you make him sit in one place. Braking hard did not work either since I got shouted at for not anticipating the braking or not driving properly. Next idea, made my son the monitor to see if everyone wears belts including in the the back seat.

Last edited by adits : 3rd February 2019 at 09:27. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 4th February 2019, 10:39   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Just the sort of situation in which accidents are likely.

It really is worth making that extra effort.
When we are close to home, we are overconfident, and relatively more distracted. Statistically, one in three accidents occur within a mile.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...rvey-says.html
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 10:44   #73
BHPian

And whilst on the subject of safety, the most important safety feature is the seatbelt.
How many people strap up?
In the back seat almost no one!

Awareness needs to be spread like with this video from ⁦@Nissan_India⁩ and ⁦@savelifeindia⁩

Video Link https://t.co/wKdpnuje4Y

Over 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts-screenshot_20190204105637_twitter.jpg

Over 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts-screenshot_20190204105930_twitter.jpg

Over 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts-20190204_105528.jpg

Over 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts-screenshot_20190204105559_twitter.jpg
JS Kwt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 14:29   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
It took me a while to even spot them and probably needs the rear seats flipped before one can even yank them out!
I always deduct one star less for hiding the rear seat belts inside the trunk!
Old 4th February 2019, 17:53   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
When we are close to home, we are overconfident, and relatively more distracted. Statistically, one in three accidents occur within a mile.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...rvey-says.html
One of my great driving gurus used to tell me: "You are not home until you open your front door. Never think you can take it easy because you are nearly home."

She was talking about longer journeys, but the same thing applies to the whole of shorter, local journeys.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed