Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2017, 16:37   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: HPCL: Sound & warning system for blind corners

Fancy solution to a real life problem which I feel could have been solved with a simple solution. Why not have speed breakers at both ends towards a hairpin bend? I know the trucks might find it difficult to climb hills with speed breakers, that means they are overloaded and which in itself is bad for the road. All others would be forced to slow down and the accidents at lower speed aren't that many. What other challenges I overlooked (I am from Bangalore and a speed breaker is a solution for all of our traffic issues) in this case? I do not see many speed breakers in many of the hills.
Old 2nd May 2017, 17:17   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Simply driving safely at proper speeds and taking proper precautions is all that is necessary.

I'm all for any gadget that improves safety, but it is a shame people can't get their own basic act together. There is no excuse at all for collisions at blind corners.
Absolutely, was down the Kuduremukh ghats this weekend. Had 2 heart in my mouth in two instancesOne was an A/C mini bus lazing down hill on the opposite lane, presumably to get a few more feet of asphalt.
The other was an alto at a hairpin, doing speeds at a hairpin I wouldn't dream of, thankfully I spotted it and had come to a standstill before committing to the turn.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 15:42   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
(I am from Bangalore and a speed breaker is a solution for all of our traffic issues) in this case? I do not see many speed breakers in many of the hills.
1. Most hill roads are not illuminated. A speed breaker will cause havoc on them.
2. The problem with speedbreakers is that they will screw up the momentum generated by a vehicle climbing up
3. Most mountain roads have multiple blind turns. Eventually you'll have a road with just speedbreakers.

These are just top of mind. I'll think of more :P
Old 9th May 2017, 18:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

A simpler solution is to mark the roads correctly and imparting a proper driving license test in India. If speed limits are strictly followed and the bends have run-off areas (if possible) then most illiterate of the drivers can handle, rest no one can stop a mad man behind the wheel to go flying off the bend.

This solution and others like speed radar (most EU countries have them) of rubble strips and speed breakers deteriorate with time and are expensive to maintain, there is another easier solution that has easier upkeep and has a visceral feedback that could be used to good effect in India.

Use the cobblestone from start to end of the bend. These are modular and can have specific effects built into them. These are environmental friendly, easy to repair and don’t cost much to maintain. Those who say the momentum will broken, that is what is required, break the momentum so that the vehicles can go at specific speeds that are deemed appropriate to cross the dangerous sections. Even if there is rain/low light/night driving, every time the driver feels that difference in the contact patch, they will automatically learn the speeds they have to change to. Even if the winds blow the signs the lights are off this easy solution can help, only if NHAI wants it to change.

Army can help with this, the materials can be locally sourced and the road engineers are creative enough to map each bend and banking for each side to reduce wear due to use and natural deterioration. We will have much safer and unclogged roads on the hills and some peace not honking for all.
Old 9th May 2017, 20:41   #35
BANNED

It is useful. The technology seems to work.
Suggest they play different vehicle horns. Now it is one type only. Like a train.
If I hear a truck horn, I would be ready to brake or steer according to the tone. It is likely to be slow moving if I'm myself headed down hill. At that moment.
Just wondering how it identifies a vehicle type or its size, and differentiates it from say, an elephant. If it were running.

Also, if the observation post (on which the device rests) had to be at a different location. 2 different locations for example. Or one common sensor at a certain height.

Last edited by hangover : 9th May 2017 at 20:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks