Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2016, 13:54   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Is Maruti's announcement of Optional ABS & Airbags just on paper?

I took this picture at the time of delivery only to post it here but I noticed that typical with Maruti, this one doesn't have any decals/badging that mentions the presence of ABS.

Is Maruti's announcement of Optional ABS & Airbags just on paper?-20160716_180026.jpg

To double check, I went and checked the steering and could notice the SRS Airbags engraved on it and under the hood was the ABS Module right near the windscreen washer tank .
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 20:05   #77
Senior - BHPian

It was only a matter of time before reports like these start appearing on media:

Quote:
The carmaker offers airbags and ABS along with 11 models (standard or optional) and as per the data that was provided by the brand, only 37 per cent of its customers look forward to the safety measures such as airbags and ABS with EBD. But there are some cars (Baleno, S-Cross, and Vitara Brezza) that this brand offers which are already loaded with safety features as standard.
Source: https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...sh-list/26139/

Quote:

The Alto, which accounts for nearly 16 per cent of Maruti’s domestic sales, is offered with an optional driver airbag. Only a meagre 5 per cent of the model’s buyers opted for the feature, which costs an additional Rs 6,000. The number is only slightly better with WagonR customers, with 15 per cent of them opting for dual airbags. Combined, the WagonR and Alto contribute to around 30 per cent of Maruti Suzuki’s sales.
Source: https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...ures-19143.htm

Another Source: http://www.cartoq.com/indians-dont-c...-marutis-data/
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/53763438.cms

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 19th August 2016 at 20:09.
Old 19th August 2016, 20:40   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
It was only a matter of time before reports like these start appearing on media:
I am sure these numbers are much higher than the previous years. It's a mindset change - give it some time.

I just hope that Maruti advertises this a little more - pay 6000 extra and get an airbag !
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 20:47   #79
Team-BHP Support

What I would be more interested to know is whether that number was counted based on inquiries/requests or cars delivered?

I'm willing to bet the former is far higher than the latter, given the variety of ways Maruti Suzuki dealers try to cajole and arm-twist potential buyers into buying non-option variants. Plenty of examples on this very thread.

Statistics can always be made to look and say what you want them to, so I'm not buying those at face value.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th August 2016 at 20:51.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 21:55   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I am sure these numbers are much higher than the previous years. It's a mindset change - give it some time.

I just hope that Maruti advertises this a little more - pay 6000 extra and get an airbag !
I am sure nobody would mind paying extra 6000 for an airbag. Maruti should encourage people to go for it and create awareness about additional safety features.

But what happens is :

SA about airbag : Saar, no need of airbag in city driving!!

SA about ABS : Useful only for high speed driving and we don't have roads for it!!
Old 19th August 2016, 22:35   #81
BHPian

One of my friend booked a Swift LXI(O). He got frustrated after waiting for 3 months and cancelled the booking. No help from dealership on the probable delivery date. Guess Maruti is too busy with the Brezza and Baleno
Old 19th August 2016, 23:54   #82
BHPian

And here comes the most anticipated statement from Maruti Suzuki.
A check mate move and a well planted one.

http://www.cartoq.com/indians-dont-c...-marutis-data/

Create a situation and put a blame on us the buyers, that we Indians don't care about safety and only run after Kitna Deti Hai!

Common Maruti Suzuki!
Can we make our noise heard to counter this misleading statement?

Exerpts :
The data released by Maruti says that buyers don't give a damn about safety features, even if the said feature is very affordably priced. For instance, Maruti offers a driver's side airbag across Alto 800 variants. Maruti says that only 5% of Alto 800 buyers opt for the optional airbag, which is priced at just 6,000 Rupees.

To think of so many Altos on Indian roads without a basic safety feature such as an airbag is unnerving. Even in case of the WagonR, another top seller, only 15% of buyers opt for the airbag equipped variant. For its part, Maruti offers airbags either as standard or as an option on almost all its cars sold in India, barring the Gypsy and Omni.

However, only 37% of buyers opt for cars that have ABS and Airbags. In fact, most of this 37% is made up of the Baleno and Vitara Brezza; two Maruti cars that come with safety features as standard. Car buyers in India don't seem to care for safety features in India. Perhaps this is the reason why car makers build less-safe (when compared to the developed world) cars for the Indian market.

Last edited by navin : 27th January 2017 at 15:39. Reason: various formatting errors
Old 27th January 2017, 15:23   #83
BHPian

Hi All! I was able to book an Alto VXI AMT (O) model with driver airbag!! This morning only i went to the dealers' stockyard and confirmed it!! To my luck and surprise the optional variant was readily available here in Bangalore!!

Also the dealer has Alto and Celerio in Optional variant for Manual gearshifts. The dealer's name is Pratham Motors, ORR Bangalore. I think it may be helpful for other members looking to book the Alto/Celerio.

Attached is a photo. Apart from SRS Airbag inscribed in the steering wheel, we cant come to know its an optional variant. In this photo, you will have to zoom it and see

Is Maruti's announcement of Optional ABS & Airbags just on paper?-altomin.jpeg
sairamboko is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 15:24   #84
Senior - BHPian

I guess this still continues in Maruti showrooms. I went to enquire about the Celerio and WagonR AMT Optional models in April-May 2018, but the same old reply from the showroom guys that these features are not needed in the city and the waiting times for such models can be in 3-4 months some times.

On the other hand, Maruti itself is standardizing safety features in it's Nexa range of cars. What a contrast! I suggested a WagonR VXi (O) to my colleague, and because of the higher waiting time and more discount on the non-Optional variant, they too got a VXi instead of VXi(O). Feel sad about why people compromise on safety and then curse the car maker in case of a mishap...

Last edited by ajmat : 13th August 2018 at 16:37. Reason: typo
Old 14th August 2018, 11:55   #85
BHPian

Mod Note: Post deleted. Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th August 2018 at 20:55.
Old 14th August 2018, 12:32   #86
BANNED

Same problem with tiago and its optional variants. The dealer here in delhi quoted me 9 months for Xe and Xm(O) variants following which i asked them to clearly tell me if they dont want to sell the variant i want.
Old 6th November 2019, 22:16   #87
BHPian

Let me share the similar experience we had, while booking the Wagonr some time in October 2018.

We had an Alto K10 VXi AMT (O). Due to the seating difficulties, we were looking to replace it. Initially, I suggested Tata Tiago XE (O), which had dual airbags, but rejected it because it didn't come with ABS plus the poor after sales service of Tata in our city. Also, as our Stingray was getting older, I had the opinion of buying the Wagonr. And as there were news of the launch of the new Wagonr with Heartect platform in 2019, I decided to stick to the previous gen Wagonr (A BIG NO TO CARS WITH HEARTECT PLATFORM). We zeroed in on the Wagonr LXi (O) variant. But here comes a small mistake from me. I told my dad to tell the sales guy that we needed a "Wagonr LXi ABS" variant.

The sales guy came to our home to undertake the booking. My dad told him to book a "Wagonr LXi ABS" variant. He too noted it down.

Delivery was scheduled on 28th November 2018. We reached the showroom and completed all the formalities. As soon as I sat in the car for taking delivery, I saw that there was no "AIRBAG" inscription on the steering wheel and understood that it was the non optional variant. I asked the sales guy that we had told him to book Wagonr LXi ABS. But here comes the lame excuse from the sales guy. He told us that there is no Wagonr LXi ABS, but only optional variant, and told us that if we had told him that we needed an Wagonr LXi (O), he would have delivered us the optional variant. Didn't he have the common sense to understand that ABS was available in optional variant and book the optional variant for us? I had no other way than taking the vehicle home. As our most of our drives are within the city, it was not a major problem.

Also, I have a strong feeling that a faulty vehicle was delivered to us. Faced many issues with the Wagonr: Indicator failure (twice), seat noise, poor fuel efficiency, misaligned steering, reverse gear jam, some noise while opening the front passenger door, ineffective heater, etc. These issues came after 3 to 4 months of purchase. And another thing. My leg keeps on touching the gear when the gear is in 5 or R position in the Wagonr, but it is not the case with the Stingray. I have plenty of space between the gear and my leg. How could the same vehicle come with two different specifications?

Lesson learnt:
Do PDI of the car before delivery.

Last edited by Tom Sooraj : 6th November 2019 at 22:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks