Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2016, 10:23   #61
BHPian

Re: Is Maruti's announcement of Optional ABS & Airbags just on paper?

While Maruti keeps playing such games, most of the competition, including Hyundai has been adding safety features to variant after variant. Sooner or later they will be forced to add these just to keep up.
jetti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 21:37   #62
BHPian

Went to 2 dealers in April to book a Wagon R VXi-O for my aunt.

Dealer 1 (DD Motors-Delhi): The SA gave us stupid reason and kept trying to convince us not to buy VXi-O. He wanted us to buy the VXi variant, which was in stock. He even said the MSIL does not manufacture optional variants any more so none of the dealers will be able to get us VXi-O.

Dealer 2 (Competent Motors-Delhi): The SA understood our need for the optional variant, told us that he will have to place an order and we will have to wait for 2-3 weeks. Did the PDI today, taking delivery on Monday.
sinharishi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 16:23   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

After booking a celerio recently, I had to do some convincing to the SA to book me an option pack. And as usual started with more waiting period, no additional discount, etc etc. Having said that in other places as well, I dont understand one thing. I ended up paying just 13k extra for ABS and another airbag. Now why the hell cant manufacturers just include this in standard variant and make a slow increase in price? Anyways car prices have gone up considerably. Now if they can do a staged increase of 7k twice, customers will rarely feel the difference. Instead, they give it as an option pack, which no one is encouraged to buy. Its an irresponsible thing by the manufacturer.
audioholic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 16:42   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Now why the hell cant manufacturers just include this in standard variant and make a slow increase in price?
...Instead, they give it as an option pack, which no one is encouraged to buy. Its an irresponsible thing by the manufacturer.
Completely agree with you on this.

But not all manufacturers are irresponsible, some are doing the right thing. For example, Hyundai has now made driver Air Bag and ABS as standard in all variants (except base perhaps) in some of its models like Xcent and Grand i10.

I feel that such an approach is better that providing optional safety pack, which never reaches the customer in most cases or the safety conscious customer is kept waiting for delivery of his special vehicle.

Rohan
Old 17th June 2016, 20:02   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Now, as per statistics posted by Business Standard, a mere 10-15% of car buyers chose Swift/DZire variants which came with airbags.

For the Airbag optional variants of the more popular Wagon-R & Alto? Less than 2%.

To think that 63% of all of Maruti-Suzuki's car sales in FY2016 till now has come from these 4 popular brands.

Quote:
Carmakers' recent efforts to make small cars safer with optional airbags have received tepid response from price-sensitive buyers who are unwilling to spend Rs 6,000 to Rs 20,000 extra. This is despite the fact that an airbag, along with seat belt, can reduce chances of fatality by up to 80 per cent. Experts blame lack of awareness for this and suggest that much like seatbelts, airbags should be made compulsory for safer roads.

C V Raman, executive director (engineering) at Maruti Suzuki said entry segment buyers see little value in airbags. "For entry segment consumers, car is primarily a source of mobility. Since the perceivable value of airbag is quite low, the penetration of airbag option is also low in this segment. However, in higher segments, customers typically opt for highest trims that have built in safety features," he said.

Experts say, the reluctance to spend Rs 6,000 for a lifesaving device will only change once airbags become mandatory. The government has mandated that from October 2017, all new passenger vehicles will have to be equipped with airbags to meet crash test norms. Existing models need to meet these norms from October 2019.
Business Standard
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 20:20   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Now, as per statistics posted by Business Standard, a mere 10-15% of car buyers chose Swift/DZire variants which came with airbags.

For the Airbag optional variants of the more popular Wagon-R & Alto? Less than 2%.

To think that 63% of all of Maruti-Suzuki's car sales in FY2016 till now has come from these 4 popular brands.

Business Standard
Classic case of demand justifying the supply (or the lack of it) !
Safety has to be shoved down the throat of Indians - no other easy way!
Old 18th June 2016, 00:45   #67
Senior - BHPian

Just yesterday, a customer had a delivery of celerio CNG Vxi (o). Very rare car. Rather the first CNG car with 2 airbags sold in our dealership! I spoke with him and he was happy that he got the car. Yes, slight delay compared to other variants, but this change is welcome. Unless customers demand option variants, Maruti won't take notice.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2016, 18:09   #68
Senior - BHPian

Just a question. Does the ABS have a positive or negative effect on braking distances in cars where the thinnest and least rolling resistance tyres are used in the interest of FE? The Alto comes with 145/80R12 tyres, and so does the Eon base models. Now I can understand a city-oriented car like the Alto or the Eon getting super-thin rubber, but it isn't justified at all in the case of cars than can go fast and quick enough to get you in trouble.

The Swift LXi comes with 165/80R14 tyres and even the Punto's base variants come with the same woefully thin 165/80-14 tyres. I don't understand how car makers justify putting such thin tyres on such cars with good dynamic abilities and powerful engines.

Only Hyundai, Ford and Tata seem to be providing adequately wide tyres on all variants. I understand the top variants being given lower profile tyres for sleeker look, but compromising on safety is just not done.

Shouldn't this practice of severely compromising safety on lower variants, combined with the lack of ABS be regulated?

Isn't the ABS in a car calibrated taking into account the tyre size and width?

In the case of the Vitara Brezza, the price difference between the base LDi that comes with a driver side airbag and the LDi(o) that comes with ABS and passenger airbag extra is a mere 12000 ex-showroom. If the price difference can be made that low for an 8-lakh rupee car, think of what can be achieved for a high volume car like the Alto. And considering that most Alto owners are first time buyers, it will also save more lives and prevent a lot more misery.

Just asking questions here. Please correct me if my assumptions are wrong.
vivekgk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2016, 19:03   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Just a question.......

......Just asking questions here. Please correct me if my assumptions are wrong.
All valid questions, and the simple answer is this:

Maruti is a for-profit business and like every other for-profit business, their first and foremost priority is to earn and save as much money as possible (penny saved = penny earned).

The same 'it's a small amount per car' argument can be used by Maruti the other way around. It may be a small amount per car but given their sales volumes, the total savings by skipping on equipment is anything but a small number.

They'll provide the bare minimum legally allowed by regulations (equipment and build quality), and not one bit more. Why should they? Conscience and social responsibility are great stuff to say on corporate presentations, but ask any business to take it seriously and you'll be laughed out of the room.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th June 2016 at 19:06.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2016, 19:04   #70
BHPian

Recently happened with my Maternal Uncle (Maama), He was buying a Swift Dzire VDi for his regular tours in and around Maharashtra replacing his previous generation Dzire VDi, upon conversation he told me that he wanted to go for a ZDi though as per people it will be expensive to maintain, ABS though a safety feature is just a gimmick infact it makes the matter worse and he should buy a car without equipped with ABS. Further more, he was told that Airbags are just additional costs and we don't require them, in case of mishap too sometimes they open sometimes they don't!
Later, I explained him the positives of these features and made him understood what's important and hence he ended up buying the ZDi itself.
The point is if people has such point of views then well it clearly states what kind of perception they have on safety features and as blackasta said "Safety has to be shoved down the throat of Indians - no other easy way!"
YashD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2016, 14:27   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
They'll provide the bare minimum legally allowed by regulations (equipment and build quality), and not one bit more. Why should they? Conscience and social responsibility are great stuff to say on corporate presentations, but ask any business to take it seriously and you'll be laughed out of the room.
Too true. The only way to ensure that corporates actually show some social responsibility is to regulate extensively. I appreciate the efforts taken by the government to ensure that ABS is standard on more vehicles. Several features that are now standard, such as seatbelts and height adjustable headlamps were brought about only because of regulation. If those decisions had been left to the manufacturers, these features would be something available only on top end variants, or as optional extras, and would be proudly advertised on brochures today.

Another factor is that even if every safety feature is provided on vehicles, owners would still opt to save money or put off timely replacement of items such as tyres and brake pads. Today morning, there was news of an accident of a car which lost control in the rain at "high speeds" and hit a parked jeep, injuring the three occupants. The vehicles were both overturned by the impact, but thankfully, everyone survived. The thing I noticed on the pictures was that the Swift, which had several extra fittings like upsized alloy wheels and spoilers, had totally worn tyres. They looked like 195 or 205 section tyres, but were completely bald and smooth.

This is a common enough scenario. New owners switch to fatter tyres and huge wheels at the time of purchase, but are then lax about their timely replacement as it turns out to be much more expensive to replace than the stock size. Most find out the hard way that accident repairs, hospital costs and potential legal costs have a bigger impact on their finances and quality of life.

Considering all this, I do appreciate the effort that Maruti has taken to ensure that safety features are available on the lower variants. Personally, it has enabled me to buy a mini-SUV (Brezza LDI(O))in my limited budget, without sacrificing on essential safety features. This was an important factor that was the primary reason I chose the Brezza over the Ecosport and the TUV. One more positive thing is that the strategy has been successful. The LDi and the VDi variants without safety features, have a much lower waiting period due to lower demand. I was told that these were available at waiting periods of less than two months. The fact that the majority of bookings continue to be for the (o) variants is reassuring.

IMHO, the delay for safer variants is a supply-demand issue. The delay is there because of higher demand for safer cars, isn't it?

Last edited by vivekgk : 19th June 2016 at 14:31.
vivekgk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 04:39   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

The Indian consumers lack knowledge. There maybe a small part of India's population who insist on buying a car with ABS and Dual Airbags.

I just hope MSIL can't influence the govt when formulating BNVSAP.
Old 20th July 2016, 12:07   #73
Senior - BHPian

Hi Bhpians,

This thread should virtually awaken those who manage production at MSIL, while they keep blabbering about chicken and egg situation.

Can we challenge MSIL in this regard by any means with the booking as a proof?

I have consciously booked a Swift Ldi(O) couple of months back, despite the knowledge of eternal waiting periods. I can compromise on the non-availability of power windows and the not so good stereo, which in my opinion are not worth the additional Rs.90k. These features except the tachometer can be retrofitted.

The dealer suggested to go for the higher variants, but this lead to a confusion. The higher variants are in the ballpark of Brezza, a more contemporary car with much better ride quality and comfort.

I might wait another month before I fiddle with the booking.

Off topic: What is the approximate waiting period for brezza Ldi (O)?

Thanks & drive safe.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 12:26   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

And I just managed to get a WagonR AMT VXi (o) delivered from Surakshaa car care last Saturday for one of my relatives.

When making the booking itself, I brought up the point that there is a serious discussion on forums regarding the Dealer/Manufacturer apathy towards customers' needs and the attitude of dealerships pushing for Non Airbags/ABS variants. I was told that the only reason for this was the longer waiting periods.

But thank our luck, someone else who had booked the optional pack WagonR faced some issues with the bank finance and we ended up becoming the owners of the same car and all this within just one week - Booked on Friday and delivered on Saturday!!
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 13:00   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And I just managed to get a WagonR AMT VXi (o) delivered from Surakshaa car care last Saturday for one of my relatives.

When making the booking itself, I brought up the point that there is a serious discussion on forums regarding the Dealer/Manufacturer apathy towards customers' needs and the attitude of dealerships pushing for Non Airbags/ABS variants. I was told that the only reason for this was the longer waiting periods.
And here I am, waiting for any news about my Celerio ZXI(O) AMT. So much of wait that I have totally forgot and lost all the enthusiasm of a new car coming home. To add to the scenario, since I would be out of country, I had not even checked with the SE whats the status. I guess I must probably contact Surakshaa and check if they can give a concrete timeline. Only remembered this yesterday when there someone sealed the deal on my WagonR. Then I remembered that I had to get a new car.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks