Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2015, 03:59   #1
RSR
Senior - BHPian

India-made Hyundai Creta scores 4 / 5 stars in the Latin NCAP!

Woo hoo! Well done, Hyundai!!! Just what they require after the sorry performance of the India-made Grand i10 on the same test.

So all that structural talk by Hyundai prior to the Creta's launch was NOT just mere marketing stuff. The India-made Creta is really one solid, structurally very safe & sound car!

Take a close look at the 64 kmph frontal offset crash test video:

Not only is the structure classified as stable (which is so very obvious), but the video shows absolutely no kind of deformation of the passenger cell whatsoever, not even a minute ripple! Even the windshield remains solidly intact!

Simply excellent, I say!

It got a solid 15.57 out of 17 maximum points for adult occupant safety, which is just fantastic! It's worthy of a 5* rating, but lost one star only because of the lack of standard ABS & passenger seat-belt reminder on the base model which was tested.

I'm so glad Hyundai chose to equip the India-made Creta with 2 standard airbags for the Latin American market! It's high time they do the same for India! Come on, HMIL, equip the Base & S variants of the Creta with 2 airbags immediately!

The weight mentioned is the test weight, which is the kerb weight plus all the equipment, realistic human mimicking dummies, child seats and on-board cameras etc. So it matches perfectly with the kerb weight of the Creta sold in India!

Oh boy! What a stonking, quick & refined, safe & sound, mesmerising & pampering, superb all-round car this smoking hot India-made South Korean beauty is! If only I had the Vitamin M, I would be looking at the 128 PS Creta 1.6 U2 CRDi SX(O) with 6 airbags, ABS, ESP, TC, VSM etc. as the car to replace our beloved little i10.

A 123 PS Creta 1.6 Gamma dual VTVT SX(O) would be my first choice, but it isn't offered. A pity, and quite foolish on the part of Hyundai.

That's immaterial, as I don't have the dough for even that anyway. Lol!

Last edited by Aditya : 18th December 2015 at 07:44. Reason: 4th last para not required :). Thanks for sharing
RSR is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 11:00   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: India-made Hyundai Creta scores 4 / 5 stars in the Latin NCAP!

Thanks for sharing, RSR! Quite a feat. Moved your post out to its own thread.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 11:12   #3
BHPian

That's good news for the the Latin Americans but you are assuming that the Creta sold in Latin American markets is the same as the one sold in India based on the kerb weight and test weight. I would like Hyundai to officially confirm that there are no functional or structural changes to the Creta sold here and in LatAm.

I know I sound like a mood dampener but after all the scandals and unethical doings we've heard about lately, I am skeptical about accepting that the Indian Creta is as safe as the one seen in the test.
Motard_Blr is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 11:12   #4
BHPian

Mighty pleased to see this. Well done Hyundai. I think the Creta has the potential to become what the Honda CRV once was in India. Well built, Plush on the inside, more manageable size, as well as lighter on the pocket and lets not forget equally safe.
manishkapadia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 11:16   #5

Kudos to Hyundai
But is this made for Indian Creta or to be exported one?
If I remember correctly, though Swift was made in India it had different crash test results when tested individually (India vs export), hence my question
skyliner34 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 11:16   #6
BHPian

Great to know that Creta is a solid car. Kudos to Hyundai!!
Still puzzled at why a 10L OTR car doesn't get even a single air bag in India :(. Legislation is the only solution...its high time.
MSAneesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 11:19   #7
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks RSR for sharing. Guess the SX(O) will surely get the highest rating

Driving the Creta SX (O) for the last few months has been great. The car does feel very solid and highways drives have been a real pleasure. My past experience of having owned and driven the Verna SX extensively, just accentuates the solidity of the Creta.

Thanks

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 11:23   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently the India made Vento scored 5 stars in the Latin NCAP. The question raised at that time was whether there is a difference in the version exported vs the one locally sold although both were made in India and the weight and other stuff matches.

Same question is valid here. Unfortunately there is no way to be 100% sure unless the version sold in India is tested. Till then we can make educated guesses looking at the different parameters.

In this case, looks good for Creta. So good job done. But lack of airbags in the base version would mean losing stars.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 17th December 2015 at 11:28.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 13:14   #9
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing, RSR! Quite a feat. Moved your post out to its own thread.
Thanks, GTO! I'm glad you removed that paragraph as well, as it would have been inappropriate.

More information from the Latin-NCAP test:

Quote:
Adult Occupant Protection:

In the frontal impact the driver and passenger heads were both well protected by the driver and passenger airbags. Both seatbelts were equipped with pretensioners and load limiters. The driver and passenger chests received adequate protection. The passengers knees areas did not show high risk structures. The bodyshell was rated as stable and was capable of withstanding further loading.

Quote:
Child Occupant Protection:

The child seat for the 3 year old child was able to prevent excessive forward movement during the impact. The dynamic performance of the 18 months child restraint was good. Some of the belted CRS that were assessed for installation could not pass installation tests, installation of groups 0+ failed halving the installation points. The vehicle provisions and assessment scored low because lack of three point belts in all seating positions, absence of ISOFIX anchorages. The car did not have warning marking for installing a CRS in the front passenger seat meeting Latin NCAP requirements.

Screenshots of the pdf:

India-made Hyundai Creta scores 4 / 5 stars in the Latin NCAP!-screenshot_20151217125442.jpg

India-made Hyundai Creta scores 4 / 5 stars in the Latin NCAP!-screenshot_20151217125526.jpg

---------------------

Disclaimer: This test is valid only for the India-made Latin American Creta, no doubt about that!

Similarly, the Grand i10 test result was also valid only for the India-made Latin American Grand i10. Both these cars are made in India alongside their export versions, and exported to the same markets in Latin America.

If the Indian Grand i10 was bashed because of its poor Latin-NCAP test result, then it's only fair to praise the Indian Creta on the basis of its good Latin-NCAP test result. Otherwise, it would be a classic case of double standards!

I hope this makes sense.

Last edited by RSR : 17th December 2015 at 13:35.
RSR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 13:33   #10
BHPian

Could anyone confirm if the Creta tested is the one being marketed in India? Manufactured in India is fine, but what we need to figure out is if it is also marketed in India. If this is indeed true, then Hyundai needs to be complimented for raising the bar as far as adult-security is concerned.

Also, why would the Creta score so poor on the child safety numbers? Is it because of the child seat thing or inability to cushion the child's head movement in the event of a crash?
rdhawan15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 14:14   #11
BHPian

Good to see a news about a car sold in India getting 4 stars in NCAP tests. We are very used to seeing a big zero, that this news comes as a pleasant shock actually!
Way to go Hyundai!
Hope all those who invested their hard earned lakhs into Creta are now feeling that they have indeed put their money into a right car!
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 15:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhawan15 View Post
Also, why would the Creta score so poor on the child safety numbers? Is it because of the child seat thing or inability to cushion the child's head movement in the event of a crash?
One, 3-point seat belts are not available on all seating positions (the rear center does not have 3-point seat belt). Second, belted CRS failed certain installation tests. I don't know exactly what this means.

Regarding adult safety, one of the reason sited it that there is no warning/light indicator if the passenger has not put on the seat belt.

These reasons are mentioned in pdf screen shot shared by RSR in post #9 in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Hope all those who invested their hard earned lakhs into Creta are now feeling that they have indeed put their money into a right car!
Yup feels good as an owner of one. Here it must be noted that safety was prominently highlighted during the launch as well as in other initial publicity materials. I can understand why someone would continue to doubt unless the car marketed in India is tested. However this news is certainly good, and Hyundai should be applauded for this product.
sohu9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 15:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhawan15 View Post
If you go through the previous post by RSR you can see that there are no three point seat belts at the rear for all the occupants and no ISOFIX anchorages for the child seat. This I believe plays a major role in child safety and hence the numbers are low. If I am not wrong only the automatic variant has the ISOFIX anchorages for child seats.

Considering that its the base variant its really nice to see the score of 4

Last edited by GTO : 17th December 2015 at 15:56. Reason: Language
RJ411 is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th December 2015, 15:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Hyundai cars a very good. No doubt about it. The Koreans, like the Japanese are sincere in what they want to do.

The problem mostly lies with the consumer attitude - when people prefer Gizmos to Safety when buying a car.

I m glad the Creta has flown through this test. Im glad for all those who put their money behind the Creta here in India!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 15:55   #15
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The weight mentioned is the test weight, which is the kerb weight plus all the equipment, realistic human mimicking dummies, child seats and on-board cameras etc. So it matches perfectly with the kerb weight of the Creta sold in India!
I've been looking for proof that the kerb weights of the the Indian Creta and the India-made Uruguayan Creta match, in order to back my above statement with facts. After much search, here it is:

--> (1) Kerb Weight of Indian Creta 1.6 petrol SX+ : 1265 kg

Source: The one and only RavenAvi, proud & happy owner of a Creta 1.6 SX+ petrol:

Quote:
Got my Lazarus officially registered earlier today. This helped in finding out the exact weight numbers given by Hyundai officially to dealerships to register the Creta in the RTO registration process:

For my 1.6L SX+ VTVT (Petrol), they are-

Unladen kerb weight = 1265 kg

Gross weight (5 persons + luggage) = 1690 kg
Source post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3771363

--> (2) Kerb weight of India-made Uruguayan Creta 1.6 petrol with 2 airbags: 1265 kg

Source:

http://www.autoblog.com.uy/2015/11/l...creta.html?m=1

Quote:
El Creta solo se comercializará en nuestro país con el motor Gamma de 1.591 cc. de cilindrada, 16 válvulas con distribución variable VTVT, de 123 cv de potencia a las 6.400 rpm. El par máximo es de 151 Nm a las 4.850 vueltas. La transmisión es una manual de seis relaciones. Hyundai no declara prestaciones de aceleración de 0 a 100 km/h ni de velocidad final o consumos. El peso en orden de marcha es de 1.265 kg.
Strangely, the Creta is still not listed on Hyundai's Uruguayan website. So I had to get the information from an auto blog.

So from (1) and (2), the kerb weight of the Indian Creta exactly matches the kerb weight of the Uruguayan Creta at 1265 kg (for the 1.6 Gamma dual VTVT variant with 2 airbags)!

Bravo, Hyundai!

This is just what I wanted. Now, will you equip the Base & S variants of the Indian Creta with 2 airbags immediately, please?

Last edited by RSR : 17th December 2015 at 16:07.
RSR is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks