Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 15:32   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Nano at 100+ kph

Safety @ 100+ in a Nano - is a question.

Technical ability of the Nano ? Had spoken to my ex-SA, who had been to the plant for training when it was launched. It can Definitely do 120+ with 4 adults & A/c. But it has been electronically limited to a speed lower than full steam.

Last edited by condor : 8th September 2014 at 15:33.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 15:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
My friends Nano's check engine light started blinking while he was driving at a steady 105kmph on the Ahmedabad highway.
Even i tried to max out ours once.
It hits the limiter around 105-110,and check engine light comes on.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 15:54   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It can Definitely do 120+ with 4 adults & A/c.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Even i tried to max out ours once.
It hits the limiter around 105-110,and check engine light comes on.
Dont think the above statements are contradicting, its simple physics that the engine hits the limiter when we try to push beyond its limit, but it can be driven at 120/120+ if the environment is favouring, say slight slanding, but it cannot sustain for long periods due to the first reason. So its not a big thing that Nano reaches triple digit speeds, even an auto can achieve that speed, but the point is whether it can handle the sudden deceleration even if it is equipped with and the confidence \ feedback which gives the driver to push to that speeds, this makes the difference.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 8th September 2014 at 15:57.
Old 8th September 2014, 16:26   #19
Team-BHP Support

It doesn't take skill to get a car to 100 (anyone tall enough to reach the accelerator pedal and hold a steering simultaneously can do that), the skill is in keeping control at that speed, and in getting it back to ZERO in one piece without incident. Driving a Nano on the highway is dangerous by itself, triple digits is simply suicidal.

The reason we have one of the worst road safety records in the world is because too many people in India can't differentiate between 'skill' and 'stupidity'. Most learn the hard way and usually take some innocent lives with theirs too.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th September 2014 at 16:37.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 16:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Dont think the above statements are contradicting, its simple physics that the engine hits the limiter when we try to push beyond its limit, but it can be driven at 120/120+ if the environment is favouring, say slight slanding, but it cannot sustain for long periods due to the first reason. So its not a big thing that Nano reaches triple digit speeds, even an auto can achieve that speed, but the point is whether it can handle the sudden deceleration even if it is equipped with and the confidence \ feedback which gives the driver to push to that speeds, this makes the difference.
No; it wont, unless you are coasting in neutral.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 16:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
No; it wont, unless you are coasting in neutral.
I think you didnt get what I was trying to say, the speed of an object will be different for a given force, on a plain flat and a slight slanding surface.
Old 8th September 2014, 16:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
I think you didnt get what I was trying to say, the speed of an object will be different for a given force, on a plain flat and a slight slanding surface.
I think you mean a slanting surface; correct?
AFAIK Nano's Fuel supply is cut as soon at it reaches 105-110; dont think it will go past 110 even on a slanting road.
akshay4587 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 17:07   #23
Team-BHP Support

I think most of us stick to ~100kmph while cruising on our highways. Now, that speed is attained when you are driving your Swift or your 320D. What is the difference between both? In which would you feel safer?

The chassis, dynamics, tires, brakes are a world apart. I have driven the Nano for 5,000+ kms, but haven't taken it over 80kmph. I usually stuck to 70 (where the green zone on the speedo ends)

I personally might zip it once in a blue moon, but the newer cars have made me lazy and I don't want to keep pumping the brakes & engine brake (& pray) for it to stop in case of an emergency.

Passenger seat is not comfortable, not at all.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 17:22   #24
BHPian

If a Ferrari / Lamborghini drives at that speed, it means Car has woken up.
If a Nano drives at that speed, it means the driver is in a hurry to go 'UP'.

Testing high speeds in a NANO, is a NO NO.
Lets know our cars and drive safe.
Old 8th September 2014, 18:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

The chassis, dynamics, tires, brakes are a world apart. I have driven the Nano for 5,000+ kms, but haven't taken it over 80kmph. I usually stuck to 70 (where the green zone on the speedo ends)

I personally might zip it once in a blue moon, but the newer cars have made me lazy and I don't want to keep pumping the brakes & engine brake (& pray) for it to stop in case of an emergency.

Passenger seat is not comfortable, not at all.
I was going to type exactly this, almost word for word :-) .
So let me just say ditto!!

Drive at 70 at a steady, non competitive pace: will give you safety and superb mileage. Each time on the Bombay-pune expressway, I get over 26_27 minimum average.
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 18:23   #26
BHPian

I have a considerable experience driving the Nano, being an owner for 1yr and 10000kms.
It can comfortably cruise at speeds around 70km/h. Anything above that is risky and uncomfortable.

Having said that,I have also taken it too its speed limit sometimes, especially when the adrenaline rush freezes your brain temporarily.
Most people underestimate or belittle a Nano.They cannot digest when they get overtaken by a Nano.
rock18 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 20:27   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

I've driven the Nano Twist quite a few times on the Greater Noida expressway. Ignore the noise at it cruises pretty nicely at 100-110kmph, with AC on. You do need to keep a firm hand on the light steering but otherwise, there are no issues as such. It seems to be very much capable of going past 120 if the limiter is removed.

Its just that folks carry a lot of pre conceived notions about the Nano. Its great fun to see the faces of people in Altos and Santros as you overtake them.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 14:45   #28

How many time have we seen an Omni do a 100+ !! I think Nano at least has a bit more crumble zone than a Omni. I assume Omni and Nano would be equivalently safe or unsafe at these speeds.

People turn into super hero's, driving at insane speeds behind anything close to four wheels on our highways
Ketz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 15:24   #29
BHPian

The Nano was born for a reason. Cheaper alternative for small families ( two kids wife, but can stretch to four as in kids and more when other relatives hop in/on) traveling on two wheels. Within city limits.

TVS made a moped for cyclists.

To this day, we see so many amazing things that happen on those two set of wheels.
Guess Nano is the next TVS 50.

Ignorance is bliss.
Old 9th September 2014, 17:59   #30
BHPian

I had driven to Lonavala on Sunday and saw a couple of Nanos being driven above 100kph on the Mum-Pune Expressway! Personally I don't even feel confident in driving my dad's Chevy Spark at speeds above 100kph as it isnt confidence inspiring at all at those speeds, so driving a Nano at those speeds is totally out of question AFAIK!
I honestly feel those driving the Nano at anything above 80kph are taking a HUGE risk - not only for themselves, but possibly even for fellow motorists in case it loses control!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks