Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2024, 13:14   #976
BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Pune Road Rage: Woman Brutally Beaten in Baner

Unidentified car driver beat the woman identified as Jerlyn Dsilva until she bled from her nose. The incident occurred on Baner-Pashan Road.

The woman alleges the man followed her for 2 kilometers before the assault. At the time of incident, she was riding a two-wheeler with two children.

https://x.com/punekarnews/status/1814661659270463616
Old 21st July 2024, 17:01   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Pune Road Rage: Woman Brutally Beaten in Baner
No matter what the trigger, this is simply not acceptable.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...4.cms?from=mdr

On Friday, I was witness to a road rage incident where 2 goons were targeting an out of state (UP) registered car. As I was coming down the ramp from KR Puram that lands on to ORR in Kasturinagar, I saw 2 crazy guys in a red Maruti swift banging on the window and kicking a UP registered white car. The victim, seeing an opening in the traffic wildly accelerated risking hitting a couple of vehicles ahead of me. The Red swift ended up behind me, honking wildly and flicking his lights, though it was clear there was no way for him to squeeze anywhere as the road is substantially narrowed down due to ongoing metro work.

Once a got an opening he sped past me, and I caught up with them again 5 minutes later only to witness a DeJa'Vu again - the crazy folks banging on the same car near ViajayBank Colony on ORR and as I neared them the victim tearing off into traffic as he got an opening. Only, the third time the swift caught up with the UP registered car near KalyanNagar but this time banged him on the front after cutting him off just 2 cars ahead. The whole thing is recorded in my dashcam. There was no way I could stop and share the video with the victim to help him lodge complaints if any cause of the narrowed roads and massive traffic pile up behind us.

In short driving in our country seems to have become quite dangerous.
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 19:31   #978
BHPian

Feeling bored? Hit the road, kick a car, curse, and do a wheelie. Who’s stopping us?

These guys were later caught by the cops, but I doubt they’ll face severe punishment. It's shocking to see these bikers doing wheelies fearlessly in broad daylight on Bangalore's main streets.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C92jW...w2ZHlmMDN5eWQ3
Old 28th July 2024, 13:06   #979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
It's shocking to see these bikers doing wheelies fearlessly in broad daylight on Bangalore's main streets.
Younger bikers seeking thrill, be that riding fast or doing tricks such as wheelies are always going to happen. It is not shocking at all.

What is shocking actually is there is not enough effort from the cops and authorities to make the roads safer with respect to the basics.

I mean, driving on the wrong side of the road, breaking red lights, riding with 3 or sometimes 4 on a bike, kids standing through sunroof, blinding aftermarket lights, haphazard lane changes causing panic braking for others, killer potholes for daily 2 wheeler commuters, etc.

Just the BLR tempos existing on the road, every minute they drive they are intimidating someone else to submission with their dangerous tactics to cut you off from lines, deny you your right of way, tailgate you etc.

I'm worried about these all day every minute than some rogues doing wheelies. Because this has a higher possibility to get me.
Old 5th August 2024, 00:12   #980
BHPian

Road rage in Bangalore seems to be escalating. A friend recently asked for dashcam recommendations after some bikers tried to vandalise his car. I had a similar experience today. A biker jumped in front of my car without looking into his mirrors (there weren't any). See the video and let me know if it was my mistake. He started punching window of my car right in front of a traffic cop. Shockingly, the cop didn’t take any action and instead accused me of rash driving. When I asked for proof, he just told me to "talk to the biker directly."

Last edited by toroid : 5th August 2024 at 00:31.
toroid is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 12:34   #981

Not your mistake at all. Please upload this video on twitter and tag the Bangalore police handle. They will take appropriate action on both the motorist as well as this cop.
TaahirH is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 14:13   #982
BHPian

Nowadays it has become a sort of a fashion for 2 wheeler and 3 wheeler goondas to pick on private car drivers for no apparent rhyme or reason. They perceive a slight real or imaginary and pick up a fight knowing well that the poor motorist will not risk a fight. More so if you can't speak Kannada. Even the traffic cops won't help.

This is very evident from the lack of action taken by BTP on the rampant violations that are occurring under their noses every day at every road. Traffic cops have become photographers today and the department just collects fines where they can show a photo for proof. They rarely assist a motorist who is harassed.
Sridhar C E is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 11:36   #983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toroid View Post
See the video and let me know if it was my mistake.
Interesting situation that took me a few viewings in slow motion to figure out, and some language translation. The scooter rider was stopped in the middle of the road, and decided to move off to his left without checking behind, at exactly the same moment that you were passing by him - which obviously surprised & startled him, and he wanted to heal his bruised ego.

As to the behaviour of the cop, he doesn't want to deal with a car-bike confrontation, and vented his irritation at you because you are the bigger vehicle.

In addition, this could also be a case of hatred arising out of language rivalry.

I posted this video on X.com yesterday, tagging the ADGP Traffic & Road Safety, Karnataka.

How do we avoid a similar situation in the future? By leaving sufficient lateral crash avoidance space when passing other (especially stationary) vehicles - at least one door width or 1.5 metres - along with a short toot of the horn to alert the distracted rider/driver.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th August 2024 at 15:40. Reason: Editing out the line on the cop
SS-Traveller is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 23:48   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

I posted this video on X.com yesterday, tagging the ADGP Traffic & Road Safety, Karnataka.
Thank you! I believe this helped.

I received a call from the Madiwala traffic police station. They've asked me to come in, and mentioned that they've also called the biker. They plan to review the video and take appropriate action in everyone's presence.

I'm not sure if this is standard procedure or if they're just trying to discourage me.
toroid is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 13:32   #985
BHPian

Please do post on what transpired later.

You just passed by him and that is how a million vehicles pass by another million every day in Bangalore. There was nothing for him to be so startled as vehicles will pass by if you stop on the road anywhere.

This is a classic case of just dragging someone who appears to be a non Kannadiga into a debate/argument either for fun/money etc.
Nalin1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 15:26   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! I believe this helped.

I received a call from the Madiwala traffic police station. They've asked me to come in, and mentioned that they've also called the biker. They plan to review the video and take appropriate action in everyone's presence.

I'm not sure if this is standard procedure or if they're just trying to discourage me.

I received a call in the morning from Traffic Inspector Mohammad Siraj, requesting me to visit the Madiwala Police Station at 11 AM. I was initially hesitant but decided to go, figuring it was worth a couple of hours to hold the biker accountable. At 11, Constable Shabeer called to inform me that the biker was running late and that he'd let me know when to come, so I wouldn't waste time.

I finally arrived at 12:30. The biker tried to confront me outside the station, still arrogant, saying, "Nothing is going to happen. You're just wasting your time. The most they'll do is fine me ₹500. Police won't listen to an outsider." I chose not to engage with him.

Inside the station, Officer Vinay began by asking both of us what happened. The biker claimed he was just standing on the road when my car, which he alleged was speeding at over 60 km/h, nearly missed hitting him by a few centimeters. The officer gave him a stern lecture about assulting my car, stating that even if there had been a collision, the proper course of action would have been to file an official complaint.

Officer Vinay explained that they could only address the traffic violations and suggested that if I wanted to take further action, they could help me file an FIR with the civil police. I decided not to stretch the matter and keep it limited to traffic violations. I submitted a written complaint, requesting the biker be fined for the following offenses:
  1. RECKLESS/DANGEROUS DRIVING TWO WHEELER
  2. Two wheeler without rearview mirror
  3. Wearing a half helmet
  4. ZIG ZAG DRIVING
  5. OBSTRUCTING TRAFFIC
  6. STOPING ON The Intersection

They assured me that the biker would be penalized for all these violations. As I was leaving, Officer Vinay commended me for taking the time to address the issue, noting that someone has to teach people like the biker a lesson. I hope he avoids such behaviuor in the future.

Last edited by toroid : 7th August 2024 at 15:30.
toroid is offline   (176) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 15:45   #987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They assured me that the biker would be penalized for all these violations. As I was leaving, Officer Vinay commended me for taking the time to address the issue, noting that someone has to teach people like the biker a lesson. I hope he avoids such behaviuor in the future.
Kudos for taking this to the conclusion.

That guy seems to have a earphone plugged in as well, probably you can have them add talking over the phone while riding to the list of offenses. It would have been fun if this conversation with the police was recorded
dass is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 16:07   #988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As I was leaving, Officer Vinay commended me for taking the time to address the issue, noting that someone has to teach people like the biker a lesson. I hope he avoids such behaviuor in the future.
Really appreciate for not 'letting it go' just like that. Respect to you for taking out the time and have the courage to face whatever happens at the police station (as you weren't aware how things would turn out in front of the police before going there). I am sure that some lose nuts of the rowdy scooterist would have been tightened.
saket77 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 11:02   #989
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

It is true that there are plenty of rogue elements and corrupt/lazy cops who look to leverage a person's inability to speak the local language, in any state.

Both the scooterist and the cop in the video are plainly guilty of this. Does anyone really believe that the cop in the video didn't know a word of English or Hindi? Did he make the slightest attempt to level with the car driver? No, he simply took the easy route of washing his hands off the matter and leaving the car driver at the whims of the local goon!

This is just a sad indictment of the state of lawlessness on Bangalore roads and the ineptitude, laziness and lack of fear of consequences on the part of the policeman.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th August 2024 at 15:49. Reason: Quoted post + content on local vs. outsider deleted. Thanks!
vijaysrk is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 11:15   #990
BHPian

Why every second road rage video is from Bangalore ? I have seen a lot of videos of road rages videos from Bangalore. Cant imagine driving a car without a dashcam in Bangalore. How these local goons behave with another state registered cars No Offence to Bangalore people, its really a serious issue
Vikash Kumawat is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks