Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2024, 17:11   #961
BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsirdar View Post
Wondering whether summer heat also plays a significant role?
What summer heat?! The climate has become quite good in Bangalore.

This Varthur-Sarjapur area of Bangalore have become godforsaken place. It has become an identity of sorts for the locals there to engage in road rage.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 11th June 2024 at 17:12. Reason: words
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 20:56   #962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Of all the road rage incidents that have been coming to spotlight in Bangalore, this is the most deplorable - An ambulance driver transporting a critically ill toddler attacked by a bunch of goons near a toll plaza in front a few policemen, the reason for the provocation beingthe ambulance driver was driving fast and overtook the Innova car!

https://www.indiatoday.in/cities/ben...408-2024-06-10

The video shows how the attackers are undeterred even when the policemen arrive at the scene. Also, the policemen's attempt to diffuse the situation looks meek. I have always maintained that the incidents being highlighted in Bangalore is no less or no more than what happens in other cities, but this incident leaves me with a sour feeling and dents my trust on the ability of the city police to keep law and order in check!
Out of all the road rage incident that we get to hear in Bangalore, this one is extremely distressful. In general, I have seen people giving priority to ambulance in worst of Bangalore traffic. I am sure this is an isolated case of ambulance being targeted for doing its duty.

I really felt sad for the parent of infants. They were literally begging to perpetrators. There is no mention of infants current condition. But lets hope that infant is doing alright.
VaibhaoT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 10:41   #963
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a rather scary experience Saturday night on the Worli-Prabhadevi stretch when I was returning home with my wife after dinner. Traffic was relatively light and I was going at a healthy speed (around 50-60). A silver Indica joined the main road from a side road and meandered into my middle lane even when the left lane he was occupying was completely free. I braked instinctively and gave a long horn press. He didn't move at all so I checked my mirrors and edged to the fast lane and proceeded ahead.

Only to realise that the driver of the car I had honked at hadn't taken it well at all. He started tailgating me and kept his horn blaring throughout. There was a signal up ahead and I stopped, along with maybe half a dozen other vehicles waiting for the light to turn green and this gent just keeps his hand firmly on the horn as he waits behind me.

When the light turned green, I started moving and the guy overtakes me from the left and brake checks me. I slowed down and eventually stopped. He was gesticulating from his open driver-side window. I again checked my mirrors and overtook him and sped off. He pulled up next to me and started screaming something. I told me wife not to make eye contact and steadfastly refused to engage, focusing instead on the road and staying safe. It got a little too much and I quietly told my wife to look out for a cop. There was a white unmarked jeep parked up ahead and I edged myself into the left lane to try and get there in the hope that it was a cop car. It wasn't but by then the driver had veered off (illegally) to the right and wasn't in sight anymore, much to our relief. I quickly drove off, checking now and then that he still wasn't in pursuit. My wife reported that the driver seemed drunk and in her assessment was probably the driver of some low ranking politician/hoodlum.

Typically I would have hurled some abuse back but experience has taught me that it would not yield any dividends. Better to swallow my pride and carry on. It hurts a little especially when you haven't done anything wrong, but I'd rather live to tell the tale!

Last edited by noopster : 17th June 2024 at 10:42.
noopster is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 10:53   #964
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Only to realise that the driver of the car I had honked at hadn't taken it well at all. !

I got chased after a honk in a similar manner by an empty Dumper truck, no less. This was right when I was taking my car for a tyre change because it had bubbled majorly in one, and I couldn't go above 30-40 without popping it clean off!
Here I am trying to get away at 30, while he is chasing me at 31.

Eventually shook him off after threading the car into some bylanes.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 17:09   #965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post

....snip...

After the below incident, I will invest in a decent action cam.

* Get an action cam to record such incidents. I have already shortlisted SJCAM C200.
As decided, I have got myself an SJCAM C200 and a chin mount from Amazon.

Feeling much relieved riding now knowing that I will have evidence of any mishaps.

I will also be able to start posting on Bad Drivers thread.

SJCAM C200 - Limited-time deal: SJCAM C200 Action Camera 4K 24FPS Optical 16MP | Magnetic Body & Hands Free | 6-Axis Gyro Stabilizer | WiFi 2.4 GHZ | Insta Go | Webcam | Video Recording | Mini Vlogging Cam (Black) https://amzn.in/d/0a981WDl

Chin mount for MotoCross type helmets - ADOFYS Action Camera Accessories... https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0B5HG3C3T?...p_mob_ap_share
Attached Thumbnails
Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-img_20240629_165812529_portrait.jpg  

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 29th June 2024 at 17:10.
rajivr1612 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2024, 01:17   #966

Got assaulted by 3 (or more) men in a road rage incident today in Ranchi Jharkhand. Thinking back, I probably should’ve not tried to capture video after stopping. I should have just moved on after getting abused for no fault of mine, but since I was called abuses involving my mother, while my mother was sitting right next to me I wasn’t about to tolerate. Here’s the tweet with videos, photos and all details.

https://x.com/vickyindian2002/status...BeCDXaZL9VriDw
Vick2002 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2024, 19:44   #967
BHPian

We're really progressing atleast in road rage incidents

Here's something I found while casually browsing-
https://www.mynation.com/trending/gi...tch-nti-sg31e0

Should not judge with partial video but Papa ki pari seems to be in hurry. May God bless us all. Safe driving everyone
Old 4th July 2024, 19:57   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vick2002 View Post
Got assaulted by 3 (or more) men in a road rage incident today in Ranchi Jharkhand.

https://x.com/vickyindian2002/status...BeCDXaZL9VriDw
Sorry to say, but there was no need to step out of your vehicle and then get assaulted. Not saying that you brought this upon yourself, but letting it go away in these situations is one of the many things that I learned from the forum which you too later realised. Yes, those words were provoking, but sometimes you just let the bad driver win. Most of the time, it is just not worth it.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 09:07   #969
BHPian

This is new - a case of road rage by a security guard!

As you may know, there are road works happening near Nungambakkam in Chennai. I had to drop someone off near Ispahani, and I stopped on the road near the mall soon after the works stopped. There was a car ahead of me, seemed to be dropping off someone to go to the college. That car, which was there for longer than me, was left unbothered, but the security guys came and told me to stop near the dustbins for future drop-offs. I protested saying I don't want to drop people off right next to a dustbin.

There appears to be a bus stop ahead of the dustbins, so I inquire what the problem is: after all, this is a public road, I'm not halting traffic (only the construction works behind me), I am neither parking nor am I anywhere close to the gate, that guy stopped just ahead of me and they didn't seem to mind him, and Ispahani centre is closed at this time of the day and the gates are closed and locked anyway!

To my surprise, I was not offered an explanation, but a threat! Translated - "Lakhs of people park at the dustbin. You can stop here, but stop here again and you'll see what we do about it."

This was disturbing and unnecessary for a 5-second drop-off with women in the car. I didn't initiate or escalate anything, just spoke to the guy who came to my window.

Any suggestions? I posted this on another thread, but I felt this would be more appropriate. I might have to go there again sometime in the following week, and there doesn't seem to be any better place to stop for drop-offs on that road. Also, seems like others are stopping there anyway to avoid stopping the buses from coming into the bus stop.

Last edited by rkv_2401 : 5th July 2024 at 09:09.
rkv_2401 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 10:27   #970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post

To my surprise, I was not offered an explanation, but a threat! Translated - "Lakhs of people park at the dustbin. You can stop here, but stop here again and you'll see what we do about it."

If I may know, was it the Ispahani mall security guards?

There is a very staunch practice among all Indians who have a small shop/business, that one cannot park their car near their shop or mall or any business even if we are not obstructing them. If we are in their eyesight, they will ask us to move. It is just ingrained into many people's brains, and that is what is troubling the security here as well, most probably. Whatever logic we put forward to will just go over their brains, and they won't even try to understand what we are telling them. They'll stand their ground that you have to move the car. I think it is better you just ignore them and if he troubles you a lot, then find a better place to park since nothing is going to change in this situation unless the security guard changes
revvingbeast is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 10:28   #971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is new - a case of road rage by a security guard!

As you may know, there are road works happening near Nungambakkam in Chennai. I had to drop someone off near Ispahani, and I stopped on the road near the mall soon after the works stopped. There was a car ahead of me, seemed to be dropping off someone to go to the college. That car, which was there for longer than me, was left unbothered, but the security guys came and told me to stop near the dustbins for future drop-offs. I protested saying I don't want to drop people off right next to a dustbin.

There appears to be a bus stop ahead of the dustbins, so I inquire what the problem is: after all, this is a public road, I'm not halting traffic (only the construction works behind me), I am neither parking nor am I anywhere close to the gate, that guy stopped just ahead of me and they didn't seem to mind him, and Ispahani centre is closed at this time of the day and the gates are closed and locked anyway!

This was disturbing and unnecessary for a 5-second drop-off with women in the car. I didn't initiate or escalate anything, just spoke to the guy who came to my window.

Any suggestions? I posted this on another thread, but I felt this would be more appropriate. I might have to go there again sometime in the following week, and there doesn't seem to be any better place to stop for drop-offs on that road. Also, seems like others are stopping there anyway to avoid stopping the buses from coming into the bus stop.
You wrestle with pig & only the pig enjoys, as you end being covered in shit.

I believe you would have been better off with an "OK" & moving away since you had stopped for few moments only.

It could have been a problem if you had parked for a longer duration, but I guess in that case you would have parked at designated parking.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 10:46   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvingbeast View Post
If I may know, was it the Ispahani mall security guards?
Yeah, it was. Going by Google reviews, seems to be a common occurrence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revvingbeast View Post
There is a very staunch practice among all Indians who have a small shop/business, that one cannot park their car near their shop or mall or any business even if we are not obstructing them. They'll stand their ground that you have to move the car. I think it is better you just ignore them and if he troubles you a lot, then find a better place to park since nothing is going to change in this situation unless the security guard changes
But I wasn't even parking!! I dropped someone off and was clearly on my way when this goon approached me.

I thought he would have a helpful suggestion, I understand it's difficult for everyone with road works and I'll happily do what I can to not disturb others. But no, it's either stop near the dustbins (which blocks a lane and affects the flow of traffic turning into the road to go straight and also used to be the start of the towing zone) or go slightly further and stop in the bus stand, hindering buses.

You and BHPian Cardeep are right about the other stuff, though. I told him that I'm stopping on a public road, not disturbing anyone and the gate you are protecting so hard is closed and locked, but I could have just driven off before he got there or said OK and moved on. I think I'll ignore him from now on. Just a nuisance that ruined an hour or two of my day. And of course, I'll avoid going to Ispahani altogether.
rkv_2401 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 10:53   #973
BHPian

Quote:

And of course, I'll avoid going to Ispahani altogether.
That mall probably does not pay the security well, the mall cannot even be considered a mall for its size and is very poorly maintained.
Probably the reason why the security is raging alongside his ego.

Maybe try giving him a Rs.10 tip next time you want to stop there and he might let you park there for a lifetime. Usually a tip works extremely well with security guards
revvingbeast is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 18:21   #974
Senior - BHPian

A simple search for Road Rage incidents on the forum throws up two full pages of threads.

In majority of the cases that have taken place in Bengaluru, it has often been imputed that unfamiliarity with and inability to respond in Kannada has been one of the reasons either for the very initiation or in some cases, escalation of conflicts.

Without prejudicing those views or asserting anything for or against those beliefs, and assuming that learning the local language might help ease the pain of daily transactions in Bengaluru, I thought it prudent to share this piece of news on this thread.

Kannada Development Authority, the nodal agency for protection and propagation of Kannada has come up with a scheme to teach the language to willing Bengalureans.
Quote:
Bengaluru's non-Kannadiga residents will no longer need to mumble "Kannada gothilla", as the Kannada Development Authority (KDA) plans to launch 20 training centres in the city to offer free Kannada classes for non-native speakers...

These centres, to be initiated in partnership with community collectives and educational institutions, aim to bring the language closer to the city's non-Kannadiga residents. The initiative has already attracted over 250 people...

The target group includes non-Kannada speaking, college-going youngsters, techies, MNC employees, and minority communities native to Bengaluru, but not conventionally educated and, therefore, lacking the ability to read, write, or comprehend Kannada.
Disclaimer: Absolutely not implying anything; just sharing a piece of useful information.
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 13:13   #975
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
Unfortunately, I have a similar incident to share.

Reflecting on the situation, I pondered alternative courses of action: Option 1 - Not stopping the vehicle and maneuvering through the wrong side to continue ahead. This might have led him to follow me to my office, but I wouldn't have allowed him to enter the premises. Option 2 - Open the door myself, retrieve my baseball bat, and engage in a confrontation to assert dominance. However, I prefer to avoid conflicts and confrontations whenever possible. Overall, I can't help but feel disheartened by the damage to my vehicle.
I applaud your patience and composure under such circumstances. I would have blown a fuse the moment a guy laid hands on my property. Infact even last week a similar incident happened and I tried keeping my cool but then he started slapping on my car's bonnet and I blew the fuse and thrashed him.

I hope one day I can maintain my composure like you did because driving on Indian roads is a very dangerous game and so far I've come out unscathed but one fateful day, the other person might be some criminal with nothing to lose and I'd be threatening my life for nothing.

Last edited by SaiSW : 13th July 2024 at 13:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks