Team-BHP - Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/133373-road-rage-understanding-avoidance-de-escalating-situation-59.html)

I successfully avoided a possible road rage on Saturday 11th. My Saturday morning routine is to take my car for a ride around 7 am (just like people take their dogs for a walk :D).

Filled 500 bucks petrol from my favorite Roshan Auto & while coming outside saw a Scorpio without rear number plate going ahead of me. I had to turn right into a narrow lane & to connect with the highway. Scorpio also took right turn in front of me.

About 100 meters it went & suddenly stopped a bit left keeping just some space from divider allowing barely a 2 wheeler can pass. I had already seen that no rear number plate means driver/owner not fond of rules so just kept watching what happens next.

The driver opened door of Scorpio and came to back side. For a second, I was tense although I didn't even honk or showed any bad behavior earlier. I thought he might come n hit me or car. I had a couple of auto rickshaws behind honking & few 2 wheelers as well.

To our surprise, the driver just went to the roadside shop, got a water bottle & sat in vehicle & left silently.

Had I honked or said anything bad, he could have damaged my vehicle or beat me as well. Staying calm saved me and the drivers behind me as well.

Thanks to Team-BHP & lessons learnt here from fellow BHPians, I successfully came out of a difficult situation.

Sounds like a just-totally-inconsiderate driver to me! Nobody else in the world even exists for him.

Worst thing I ever saw was a guy who stopped at a red signal just in front of me, got out, and went to a flower seller! It was a small road joining a main road, so when our turn came to go, it would be short :Frustrati

Another reason could be way too easy to get license to drive. Still one can throw money and get license without visiting Licensing authorities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SidTheChamp (Post 5691279)
Yeah go for some half gap and throw your opponent to the barriers. Lewis Hamilton used the same Senna quote to defend his Silverstone 2021 antics of hitting Max Verstappen.

Verstappen - Monza 2021
Verstappen - Jeddah 2021

Throwing random shade on Hamilton for no reason I see :D. Here are 2 examples of the opposite. 2021 was a great season so I don't see why you're still holding on to an incident like that from 3 years ago.

Sometimes, a dangerous driver irks you. And you want to retaliate. But you don't want to get into a fight. So what do you do? You slow him down, even stop him, but exchange no heated words. All he can do is honk at you. After a few seconds, he realizes his honking is fruitless, so he calms down a bit, getting ready to get out of his car and come to you to pick a fight. That's when you drive away.

It was so satisfying!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlAPDGlEBn8

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 5773844)
Sometimes, a dangerous driver irks you..

It was so satisfying!

Satisfying it was, but only for us viewers. Things can quickly go south if the errant driver decides to retaliate and give a chase. It has happened recently in Noida where a couple of goons in a BMW chased and attacked a family. Please be safe sir and try to avoid such confrontation with rash drivers. Often slowing down and falsely indicating that you want to turn (left or right depending on your lane) is enough to make these buggers desperately overtake from the other side and get lost. ;)

Quote:

Sometimes, a dangerous driver irks you. And you want to retaliate. But you don't want to get into a fight. So what do you do? You slow him down, even stop him, but exchange no heated words. All he can do is honk at you. After a few seconds, he realizes his honking is fruitless, so he calms down a bit, getting ready to get out of his car and come to you to pick a fight. That's when you drive away.

It was so satisfying!

That was not a very safe or wise thing to do. Especially given you stopped in the middle of a road for a few seconds, for no other reason than to piss him off (or teach him a lesson). Egos get flared up by such actions. Good he didn’t feel the need to take a reactive action from his side.

+1
I would not recommend doing this at all. The reason you saw no reaction was probably being because the car is a BluSmart - the man is employed by the company (driver model over self owned car) and has a lot to lose if he reacts. Someone in certain Mahindra or Hyundai vehicles would explode:). Heck, I am sure the post would be against BluSmart if he did react.

In general, I have driven and seen enough in Noida/ Delhi/ Gurgaon, mostly at night, to strongly suggest against trying to bring justice yourself- blocking wrong side drivers, brake checking, glaring at other drivers, not letting red light jumpers pass, etc. Not worth it - either one will end up in hospital or car in garage.

Quote:

Sometimes, a dangerous driver irks you.

It happens with me all the time on my daily commute, which involves a highway. If I am driving at 80 km/hr and a bus is driving ahead, people get so restless. They do not want to follow the bus, although the speed limit is 80 km/hr. They zip through endangering others and at the next signal we all are waiting. This is exactly what happened here. This guy was trying his best to move forward quickly, but at an intersection ahead, all were at the same position!

This is the actual learning of this video! If the cab driver was wise enough, he would have perceived the learning without OP having to stop his vehicle.

Quote:

It was so satisfying!

Sir, with due respect, this wasn't a very wise thing to do. Just because someone else is a moron, doesn't mean we need to act in a similar way. Stopping a car right at an intersection could have also caused other cars (coming from different lanes if lights changed) to also wait at the middle of the crossing for no fault of theirs.
Heck, I would say your move was even more reckless than his. At the end of the day, he is just a driver for BluSmart, we don't expect much road sense from him but we do expect much much better from a distinguished BHPian like you.

With regards to the Blu overtaking the Ciaz - i guess the Blu wanted to move fast (maybe he was late for his pickup, who knows?) and the Ciaz was just driving slowly at the middle of the road. You can see that the Ciaz gives left indicator after the Blu had already committed to the overtake and crossed like 1/3rd of the Ciaz. I don't think the Blu driver even saw the indicator - for him the Ciaz driver was a menace who was blocking the road by driving in the middle.

Quote:

Sometimes, a dangerous driver irks you.

Sometimes? It's more like all the time! You can drive peacefully only for a few seconds inside cities.

Quote:

It was so satisfying!

And some people say dont honk - Drive/ride without honking ! I would surely like to see these people drive in such conditions.

Quote:

It was so satisfying!

Very rightly done!! Had I got a Thar in my hands, I would have satisfied myself many times like this in the streets of Kolkata as most of the bikers don't have patience and buses hurry to earn that extra commission, ubers and olas cut lanes to reach destination early to pick up the next drop & ofcourse the menace of Kolkata city the 3 wheeler demons.
backed by political parties.

A scooterist irked at not getting space to overtake an i10 with a young couple and a 3 year old kid on board, in a fit of road rage breaks the glass of the car with his helmet. This has happened in Sarjapur, Bengaluru. The kid was injured. The road is wide enough, though congested, as there are two car lanes and there is also some additional space from which two wheelers are seen moving. As is alleged, the tiny Hyundai i10 was blocking a two wheeler which necessarily requires some brain racking.

Quote:

The incident took place after the two-wheeler failed to overtake the hatchback.

Akhil Sabu, an IT professional hailing from Kerala, has lodged a police complaint following an incident where the accused, identified as Jagadish, allegedly shattered the car's glass window, causing injury to the three-year-old child. Authorities have taken Jagadish, a local resident into custody.

CCTV footage showed the scooterist intercepting the Hyundai i10 in which the family was travelling. As the car attempts to evade, the scooterist strikes its window with his helmet.

After a brief pause, the car resumes movement, only to be attacked again by the accused with his helmet.
Subsequently, Sabu halted the car, got off the vehicle, and engaged in a physical altercation with the scooterist, who was assaulting the car, as shown in the footage.
Video of the incident on the lane on the aft side (Bangalore). Posted by the i10 owner/driver :-

https://twitter.com/akhilsabu45/stat...ailyhunt.in%2F

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 5774693)
A scooterist irked at not getting space to overtake an i10 with a young couple and a 3 year old kid on board, in a fit of road rage breaks the glass of the car with his helmet. This has happened in Sarjapur, Bengaluru. The kid was injured. The road is wide enough, though congested, as there are two car lanes and there is also some additional space from which two wheelers are seen moving. As is alleged, the tiny Hyundai i10 was blocking a two wheeler which necessarily requires some brain racking

I seriously do not understand the mentality of such rogue bikers getting into a tiff with fellow motorists on our roads, be it any city in India.

Daily, I see bikers riding as if they own the road. I'm talking of the perennially congested WEH in Mumbai, where these bikers honk/flash/perform dangerous overtakes with a larger vehicle, sometimes even BEST buses.
Not just the anti-social elements, this behavior is also observed amongst the working class/educated riders.

Is it assumed that the bikers always have a right of way while they are on the roads - within cities or on NHs?
Or just because a bigger vehicle (a 4-wheeler, let's say) couldn't give the bikers some space for whatever reason - it hurts their ego?

At times, bikers jump the signal, break the queue, honk unnecessarily to give them right-of-way..and you have to live with it.

The count of such road-rage incidents is increasing on a daily basis, and it is becoming increasingly dangerous to share road-space with bikers around.