Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2023, 16:30   #691
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Not accusing, of course, but when you were trying to overtake, were you tailgating him? If it's me, I tend to react to that by slowing down. But there is no way I would block someone when the road is clear for them to pass: I'm glad to get rid of them!

The thing is not to get into these games. But if one does, then expect the other guy to overtake and "brake check" you. Then you will not be caught out having to brake sharply. As soon as they pass, slow a little, and maintain distance behind them.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 09:34   #692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Not accusing, of course, but when you were trying to overtake, were you tailgating him?
I wasn't. I had to keep some distance to have a view of incoming traffic.. around 6m(1.5x car length).

I know I should have let him get far when I first realised he wasn't a normal road user. But I think I got into the mindset of why should I be bullied like this.
TaahirH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 14:20   #693
BHPian

After installation of my dashcam (dual channel, so rear traffic is also covered) , my blood pressure is much more controlled while driving. I always know I have evidence, if someone tries illegal road antics near my car. Conversely, I have tried to be a sedate driver consciously as well - as my own driving is also being recorded with the speed numerics hard coded in video.
baarish84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 23:36   #694

This happened with me too at the Khed Shivapur Toll plaza en route Bangalore. The car in front of me stopped at the toll plaza and wasn't moving at all. Figured out he is chit chatting with the toll plaza guy and we had a huge queue behind us. I honked 3-4 times and out comes a huge guy with gold chains and bracelets en what not. He walked right upto me and figured out I'm with my family. He actually said in Hindi ' akela hota toh batata ' (had you been alone I would have showed you) and walked back to his car. Scared the shit out of me !!

Could have been a local goon with utter disregard to the queue behind him, having his way out.
Old 11th February 2023, 05:11   #695
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Auto wallas are getting out of hand with their political connections and unions. I remember when auto rickshaws went on strike for a day in pune and it was so much better without them on roads.

A fellow has tagged Bangalore police and posted this videos of a road rage where in auto rickshaw driver is openly seen beating up the Taigun driver. https://twitter.com/market_sniper_/s...KOY_IOUzww0fZQ

One takeaway from this video is to not engage in these road rage incidents and keep your car windows closed or not get off your vehicle if you are not sure that you will have things go in your favour.
BleueNinja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 12:09   #696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
Auto wallas are getting out of hand with their political connections and unions. I remember when auto rickshaws went on strike for a day in pune and it was so much better without them on roads.

A fellow has tagged Bangalore police and posted this videos of a road rage where in auto rickshaw driver is openly seen beating up the Taigun driver.

One takeaway from this video is to not engage in these road rage incidents and keep your car windows closed or not get off your vehicle if you are not sure that you will have things go in your favour.
Oh my Gods! I mean, what really happened for that nut auto driver to punch the car driver like that?

Driving on city roads is becoming more and more stressful and it is really hard to keep a cool head and to let things slide.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 17:00   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Oh my Gods! I mean, what really happened for that nut auto driver to punch the car driver like that?

Driving on city roads is becoming more and more stressful and it is really hard to keep a cool head and to let things slide.
Dashcam has become a necessity now. If any such incidents happen it's better to get everything on recording and stay in your vehicle and patiently wait for police to show up or Upload on Twitter and tag them.

This video by shumi is nice and well presented. I have started isolating or removing myself from such situations before the escalate.

Old 17th February 2023, 15:14   #698
BHPian

I don't know, if it comes under Road Rage but, a man suddenly jumped on the bonnet of a car.

https://twitter.com/dhans4all/status...55692251410433
Old 20th February 2023, 14:22   #699
BHPian

I experienced a road rage incident yesterday. I was driving down a single lane highway in Kochi. There was a steady stream of vehicles travelling closely behind each other, mine being one of them. I noticed this Ford Figo approaching to overtake me. From where I sat, it was clear that he didn't have enough gap to make that pass and merge back into our lane, but to my surprise, he did pass me and proceeded to brake hard and lodged his vehicle between my car and the one ahead of me, effectively cutting me off and forcing me to brake hard. I was annoyed, so honked for about 4 seconds in protest, and flashed the headlight 5-6 times. This set the guy in the Figo off. He gestured angrily in his RVM. Then pulled a bit to the side and lowered his window - an obvious cue that he wanted to argue. I had no interest in arguing with that guy, so I didn't pull beside him, instead stayed behind him. I maintained this "you're wrong!" look on my face, but didn't say anything or make gestures.

In the next 100 meters or so, there was a traffic signal. There were two columns of vehicles queued up to go in my direction. He picked one queue, and I consciously picked the other one in order to avoid aggravating the situation. When the light turned green, the traffic in front of me shuffled and this guy ended up in front of me again. He's again gesturing angrily into the mirror. By this time, I was pretty sure that this could take a turn for ugly, so I was determined not to be goaded into an argument with him. He then brake-checked me - twice! The first time was subtle; the car ahead braked and he braked a lot harder than he had to and I hard to brake hard as well. The second time, I'd learnt to expect it, so I put 2 meters or so between him. He then came to a complete stop. By now the it was beginning to affect the traffic around. Since I felt he would try to stay stopped for a while to make his point, I started to go around, at which point, he takes off again. Thankfully I think he had his fill by now, so sped away forward. With that level of anger on the road, he was bound to cut more people off.

Thanks to what I've read on Team BHP, I kept my cool and made the smarter choice not to make it worse. To the chimpanzee in every man's brain, it feels like a failure, but I know in my head that I can sleep in peace, not having damaged the car or my health getting into an altercation with some angry rando on the road spoiling for a fight. That feels like a win for a thinking man.
SlowRider is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 16:03   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
Auto wallas are getting out of hand with their .....
Here's what would have happened.
1. The auto guy would have told "One and Half" to all his customers since morning.
2. No business meant no food to feed his family that day
3. Saw the Taigun driver, got him thinking, "how can someone drive such a costly car while I am not able to make my ends meet".
4. He got out of the auto and was coaxing the Taigun driver to share the secret of his prosperity.
5. Taigun driver refused
6. Auto driver asked him again. Taigun driver refused again
7. Auto driver got frustated and started hitting him.

But it seriously appears like matter going out of hand. In such cases, I strongly feel white board private car drivers should come to the rescue of the other white board vehicle. It could be themselves in another situation. It should help cool down the yellow board guy when he realizes the private vehicle owner has support.
I hope the dashcam was able to capture the Auto's registration number and his license was suspended. Dashcams should be made mandatory in all vehicles.

Last edited by hrman : 20th February 2023 at 16:04.
hrman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 20:07   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
In such cases, I strongly feel white board private car drivers should come to the rescue of the other white board vehicle. It could be themselves in another situation. It should help cool down the yellow board guy when he realizes the private vehicle owner has support.
The thing is auto wallas have strong union support with good political backing which enables them to get away with this that's why any one wouldn't want to get engaged in an unnecessary altercation with them.

Your only support is a dashcam. Like in this case someone was helpful enough to post it on reddit and then a reddit user posted it on Twitter tagging Bangalore police.
BleueNinja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 17:20   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
I experienced a road rage incident yesterday...
I know it is easier said than done, especially when the other driver is clearly at fault. But the best thing is always to not engage.

I understand that your initial honking and the light-flipping might have set the other person off on his rage trip, so you could have done without that as well. As a norm, a single honk of the horn for not more than two seconds might have been sufficient to notify the other driver that he drove incorrectly. Anything more is generally taken as a loud protest by you.

That said, it's commendable how you had immediately cooled down and did not get down, did not roll down the window and did not engage him in any manner after that.

That's one of the best ways to avoid road rages - just don't engage. After a point, the other person generally sees the futility of raging against somebody who just refuses to respond.

Someone I know used to say: You need to act like a buffalo on the road at times - Don't look the other person in the eyes, have thick enough skin to brush off any (abusive) language and just keep going as if nothing's happened.

Last edited by Small Bot : 2nd March 2023 at 17:24.
Small Bot is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 19:58   #703
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
That's one of the best ways to avoid road rages - just don't engage. After a point, the other person generally sees the futility of raging against somebody who just refuses to respond.
Cab drivers are superb at this. Right or wrong, they just take no notice and drive on. I mentioned it to one driver, and he said that there was no way that he could drive all day if he got involved with shouting at others or being shouted at.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 20:22   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Cab drivers are superb at this. Right or wrong, they just take no notice and drive on. I mentioned it to one driver, and he said that there was no way that he could drive all day if he got involved with shouting at others or being shouted at.
This is what I have noticed as well. Not true in all cases but 95% of them simply ignore and move on focusing on driving. It changes quickly though when there is a accident involving their car.

I have been guilty of angry gestures, verbal abuses when others have been in the wrong (and I have put my hand up if I am in the wrong) in the past. While I continue to say sorry for my mistakes (hey I am not perfect), I am consciously trying to smile or maintain calm for other mistakes on the road. Main reason for this was when I noticed my kids imitating me on the road. This happened when I was taking them walking and some guy spit on the footpath right next to me and I scolded him. Seeing this my elder kid too scolded similarly which suddenly clicked a bulb in my head. I have become way too conscious now and avoid any angry rhetorics on the road be it on the walk or riding/driving. Also helps that I have become much more sedate driving.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 21:29   #705
BHPian

I was involved in a road rage incident yesterday.

I was about to enter the petrol pump line to fill up fuel in my bike. The petrol pump kept two separate lines for two wheelers. When I was about to enter my line, a teenage guy on a Dio with his pillion rider (both without helmets) decided to cut me off as the line he was initially intending to enter was bit longer. I had to brake hard and almost lost balance.
I suggested them to be more careful.

Looking at my username, one would easily guess my profession. I just asked them to wear helmets and be careful and don't be in a hurry. Out of nowhere the driver of Dio decided to abuse me unnecessarily. Even pillion rider decided to gang up on me.

They almost removed my helmet forcefully and wanted to hit me. No one around including staff of petrol pump decided to intervene. A gentleman in Kia Seltos was about to get out of his car and help me out. I meanwhile kept cool and decided to stay calm. Even gestured the gentleman in Kia to get back into his car.

I slowly and calmly asked them to move a bit and let me go. They just wanted to hit me somehow. I found a moment and decided to accelerate out.

I have good connection higher up and would have easily thought them a lesson. But I had that temporary fear of losing a limb or getting injured in the melee by the time the people who could help would arrive. I made a big mistake of not noting down the number of their vehicles.

My suggestion to the group -
1. People easily are losing tempers now a days. Be careful out there.
2. Lawlessness is on the rise. Teenagers aren't afraid of law and are ready to pick up fights wherever possible.
3. I have decided henceforth not to give unsolicited advice (even if it is for their benefit).
4. No one around will come to your support even if they are witnessing the whole incident. Consider yourself as alone on the road.

My question to the group -
1. What else should I have done so that such things don't repeat again? I will sportily go through all the suggestions by members which can help me out. (I am ready to sportily agree to all the mistakes I would have done).
2. I could have easily harassed them using the law. I need suggestions from members on how law tackles such aggression and unprovoked attacks on road.
3. What legal things I can keep with myself for self-defense if in case I had to face similar situations in future?
DrCar is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks