Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2021, 22:13   #451
BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

This is extremely scary.

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...delhi-7231311/
Attached Thumbnails
Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-capture4584.jpg  

Old 30th March 2021, 00:23   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprised to see that one tiny scratch on a car can snowball into something as massive as this

Old 30th March 2021, 09:13   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Surprised to see that one tiny scratch on a car url]
One, it's Delhi.
Two, looking at the location, there will be alcohol involved.
Put the above two together, and In Delhi, you don't even need a scratch. It could even be pre-crime, like "how dare you looked at my car?".
mayankk is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 23:32   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
The YouTube video says it happened at a mall.
I wonder what the security or the supervisors in the mall were doing?

In Bangalore , mall security is very quick to pounce upon you in case you were to lose the parking ticket.

Sometimes I feel that they are unfit for purpose, as they never appear during a crisis such as the one depicted in the video.
Old 14th April 2021, 12:26   #455
BHPian

Honda City driver tries to crush two people on a scooter in Rajkot after road rage.
Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-screenshot_20210414122359.jpg
In this case scooter fellows triggered the rage, I feel it was their fault to threaten the car driver in the first place, what we saw later is all about anger management issue and car driver needs to join meditation classes for the same
gjnnbagal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 13:59   #456
BHPian

One of the best podcast from Shumi of Powerdrift regarding Roadrage. I usually dont follow a lot of these automobile journalists but Shumi is definitely one of the finest out there and one of the most sensible one's.

This also reminded me of one incident few years back when I was with my family driving down from Pune to Kholapur in the night, there was this Maruti Ertiga which was tailing my XUV 5oo for as long as I could remember trying to get into a race with me. I was doing triple digit speeds hovering around 150KMPH and still the person driving this Ertiga had no intention to let go & was tailing me closely. After unknowingly getting into a race with him for couple of hours and endagering the life's of all involved finally better sense prevailed and I pulled over and waited for almost 30 minutes so that I dont have to see that Ertiga ever again.Till date I have no clue how was a car which was having all the performance numbers considerably lesser than what I was driving capable of tailing me for so long. After this incident I have always made it a point to pull over in case I feel stressed out or incase I start dispalying the slightest behaiour indicating road rage and that has resulted in a stress free enjoyable ride ever after.

Sharing the video here since it is very informative and feeling happy that whatever I am practicng now is actualy recommended by well known people.

Video:
shreehari is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 15:30   #457
Senior - BHPian

Encountered a very angry auto wallah today and fortunately got out of the situation unscathed.

This afternoon there was a tremendous bout of rain and I and wife were driving down Suranjan Das road, a 4 lane divided concrete road. I live close by so this road is very familiar to me.

It was raining and the road was water logged. An auto was on the right lane driving slow. I overtook him from his left and as a result a lot of water splashed into his auto. Since it was raining heavily I didn't think much of this and carried on. After a kilometer or so, the auto guy comes alongside me and starts shouting and pointing to his clothes. He eventually stops his auto in front of my car and gets out and tells me to get out of my car. Another auto stopped on the left front of my car.

Meanwhile this auto guy is abusing me and screaming to get out of my car. In anger he hit my front window with his hand and pulled my ORVM to face the other way. Fortunately I saw no one was behind me so I reversed, did a U turn and went another way home.

The incident left both of us quite shaken. I realised it was my fault for splashing water on this guy but I had to overtake him, else trail him till I got to a dry patch.

While the auto guy was shouting, I stayed calm though my pulse was racing. And was just looking for a way out.

BTW it was raining heavily throughout this incident and continued till I reached home. Fortunately the Mirror went back with a bit of force and folded itself on shut down. No damage to the less than one month old car.
goandude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 15:42   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
The incident left both of us quite shaken. I realised it was my fault for splashing water on this guy but I had to overtake him, else trail him till I got to a dry patch.
Maybe he should not have expressed it violently, but seems to me that he had a good point. No, you did not have to overtake him, but could have driven slowly behind him for as long as it took. If he was a decent guy he might have facilitated vehicles behind him getting past, but if he needed to stay in the middle of the road, due to depth of water, then that is what he must do.

Not personal, but a general point: people who drive fast enough to raise a wave, on flooded roads, are a menace. It is often that wave that floods roadside property rather than the water level itself.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 16:14   #459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Encountered a very angry auto wallah today and fortunately got out of the situation unscathed.

It was raining and the road was water logged. An auto was on the right lane driving slow. I overtook him from his left and as a result a lot of water splashed into his auto.
This is a tricky situation. A few weeks back our driver faced this issue but he didnt do it intentionally and was on the ringroad with multiple lanes and random areas of water. The issue is when we do this by purpose. Just explain to them that you didnt do it on purpose and blame the bad roads. They will calm down after sometime. In case of my driver, this Auto guy was more creative than aggressive. He asked my driver to roll down the window and poured his water bottle on my driver. It is pissing off for me that my car also has to take a brunt, but after this they just moved on. I have faced a scenario where my car landed into a pothole filled with water and was completely unintentional. This water splashed on some teens who were riding beside and they got triggered. While they confronted me, and were acting like they belonged to the area and owned the street, I told them to simply go and fight with the BBMP for that situation and not me and to first keep 'their' roads in good shape and show this courage in front of the BBMP. That eased off the situation into a lesson of how I should drive. Then I told one of them to land their two wheeler into a pothole without splashing water and then they had to disperse.

The issue with these situations is the fit of rage that happens. It has to be calmed down someway or the other. Trying to drag the situation to some sort of escape or escalate voices will just ruin our day. I have also faced some situations with cars splashing water over me, and I have seen lot of auto rickshaws receiving rage from two wheeler riders. So best idea is to be defensive and wait until the rage comes down and divert the topic to bad roads etc which will bring some understanding.

But if you ever do an aggressive overtake with water splashing on someone, then I think thats not right to do or at least very difficult to justify. An unintentional splash especially when some other guy wants to drive next to you knowing there is an area of water is his stupidity and can easily be countered.

Last edited by audioholic : 22nd April 2021 at 16:15.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 17:51   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

No reason is going to justify the anger of the auto wallah but I believe you were at fault, even if it wasn't intended.

I guess the fact you didn't even notice or apologize after passing him probably pissed him off even more. Usually a sorry (verbal or hand gesture) works a huge way to diffuse the situation before it becomes one. I personally am extremely cautious on city roads when driving through roads with water or in the rain especially for this reason coz I would hate getting splashed with dirty rain/road water.

Accept as it is and improve going forward. I guess that's the only way ahead.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 00:42   #461
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Not exactly a Rant but posting an incident that happened with me a couple hours back. I'm not even sure if this is the right thread for it but since the incident happened on a street in Bangalore, might as well post it here. (This could have happened on any street anywhere in the world)

So here goes, Like any other day I was out feeding the strays on the street outside our apartment for which I walk a few blocks down the street making sure I feed as many as I can. While doing so I noticed an old riced up baleno enter the street at crawling speed and I instantly knew that this person is up to no good, I stuck to side of the street and surely enough this guy put the pedal down and zoomed off exiting the street at the other end.

So far no drama as such, things changed after I fed the dogs and started walking back in the other direction. The car comes back with an accomplice this time, a guy on a dio.
I stuck to the side of the road this time too but the guy in the baleno probably did not like the idea of seeing anyone on the road. He honks like a mad man and legit brushes past me in high speed, in reaction to this all I did was put my hands up as if to say what are you doing? This was noticed by the accomplice on the dio and he was quick to react. Stops right beside me and starts challenging me.

I politely tell him that I haven't done anything to you. He goes on abusing me so I tell him if you have a problem lets go to the police, the word police enraged him further and he starts coming closer to me as if he's going to hit me. My 1st and only reaction was that I kept the empty bowl down on the road so that I can at least defend myself if this moron tries to hit me. (The baleno was thankfully nowhere in site by this time)

Me keeping the bowl down and taking a defensive stand coupled with the fact that his accomplice were gone made him turn around that very moment and he zoomed off.
I'm in no way ashamed to say that I was scared for my life.

My sole reason for posting this story here is that anyone reading this, please be careful out in the open, it's a jungle out there and our biggest threat are our fellow humans.
Deeply saddened and disappointed!

Last edited by Ashkait Kapoor : 28th April 2021 at 01:02.
Ashkait Kapoor is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 01:25   #462
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkait Kapoor View Post
Not exactly a Rant but posting an incident that happened with me a couple hours back. I'm not even sure if this is the right thread for it but since the incident happened on a street in Bangalore, might as well post it here. (This could have happened on any street anywhere in the world)
Very much relatable. I have been facing an increasing number of such situations lately and not just on roads but in the neighborhood in general.

I guess its the lockdown and all the negativity pouring out of every social channel and mass media that's effecting general behaviour of the public.

I got into a scuffle recently with an auto for stopping in time at a junction and he apparently was in a hurry. These guys get their panties in a bunch when things are normal but given the current situation and how it's impacting them, his reaction and abuses were something entirely on another level and the phrases were somewhat creatively framed as well!

Fortunately it was just a 30sec signal and i zoomed off chuckling to myself at what I'd just heard. What else can you do?

I understand that you're saddened by the episode but i guess you just shake it off and carry on. There will always be such elements in society who are beyond help.

Last edited by abhi7013 : 28th April 2021 at 01:32.
abhi7013 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 01:53   #463
Kln
BHPian

Had to revisit this thread to calm my nerves after being thoroughly rattled today. This incident is no doubt going to change me forever. I hope someone can help me calm down!

Ahmedabad has been having a lot of flyovers under construction of late. As a result, many of the 6 and 8 lane roads have become 2 lane. The Ahmedabad traffic police, to put it mildly, is absolutely incompetent. They have zero presence, and people don't give a care if they're present or not. Many of the policemen have just given up, and warm their seats nowadays. So, the situation is an absolute mess of since the past 5 or so years. Today, while on my way back, I was on the left hand side of an Innova getting off of a flyover. As I accelerated and merged before him after crossing it, suddenly he starts flashing lights, honking, and sverves into me! I narrowly missed him but i lost my cool. I admittedly honked a bit more and flashed my lights as well. All hell broke lose. He swerved his Innova in front of my car, in the middle of a road with insane traffic, and got down. I knew what was coming, so I sped away, but unfortunately there was a junction right ahead. I knew the junction had traffic cops, and by the time I reached it, the guy came right behind me with flashing lights and the choicest of the Maa behen gaalis and open threats to eff them up. As the light turned green, I stopped near the cops, but the guy rammed his Innova into my car IN FRONT of the cops, got down and started threatening me with the wildest gesriculations. I was hoping the cops would calm him down or at least ask him to be on his way. Alas, they continued to look on. He first approached the passenger side door, and tried unlocking it. All the while I'm just sitting in the car and calming myself down, not reacting at all. I knew I couldn't roll down the windows, come what may. He then came to driver side, but it was slammed by his own car.

He then leaned over the bonet - and slammed his finger rings adorned hand into my windshield, cracking it. I nearly shat myself, too stunned to react.

I was still sitting in my car asking him to be on his way. He apparently did bit not take kindly to it, and again came back. Gaining some sense, I asked him to be in his way, and said "it's my fault, now please go". It's at this point that I saw his wife was sitting in the passenger side all this time absolutely mute through the ordeal. I guess she's seen this happen a couple of times. Anyway, he goes away after breaking my windshield, and nearly 6 cops are just standing there. As he's going away i note his plate - GJ27K4545. I roll down the window and ask the cops what should i be doing? Instead, they ask me why didn't I get down from my car! I was too numb and stunned to respond, and I just reversed my car. They tell me that if I have any issue, I should lodge a complaint at the designated police station. I come back home, take a couple of deep breaths, and get down.

A couple of years ago, a younger, bachelor me would've liked nothing more than to follow the guy, lodge a police complaint etc etc. As i came home, my son ran into my arms and I realised how much i love my family. I got on this forum, looking for support via others who faced similar situations like this. After going through this thread, I now realise i was lucky that I got away with a broken windshield, and not dead.

I'm still rattled, and any words of wisdom that could help would be immensely appreciated.

Last edited by ajmat : 13th June 2021 at 17:00. Reason: Language - pls be careful!
Kln is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 07:43   #464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
I was on the left hand side of an Innova getting off of a flyover. As I accelerated and merged before him after crossing it, suddenly he starts flashing lights, honking, and sverves into me!
Few points here

1. The reason the Innova guy was rattled was because he must have gotten startled by your maneuver of merging before him. Maybe you didn't mean to shake him up, but he definitely was shaken up, hence the flashing of lights

2. His reaction is the first sign of a situation likely to escalate. If you hadn't flashed lights in return or sped away, he'd have just gone

What you could have done

1. As soon as you saw him flashing lights and honking, you should have slowed down, rolled the window down, and just said sorry and you didn't mean to cut him off. That would've been it.

2. Never exceed 50-55kmph in city. It is fine to overtake an odd autorickshaw or slow moving car on a bridge, but try to maintain this pace, and you'll see how stress free your travel would be

3. At the sign of the first escalation, just wave your hand and say Sorry. It will cost you nothing, but goes a long way in de-escalating the situation. If you still find that the person is trying to take advantage of your decency, then up your game gradually without getting agitated, but pointing to what you did right, and not telling them what they did wrong( because that hurts the false ego of the other person)

I will narrate an incident with me in Nov-2019 when I was driving to Mumbai. I was in one of the lanes at the Bhagwada(Vapi) toll plaza, and the truck ahead of me stalled and wouldn't start. I put my left indicator on, and turned the wheel to get into the next lane, but seeing a string of vehicles passing, waited for a clear path to move. Several vehicles passed me but this one RJ-14 Innova's rear right door kisses my front left fender's leading edge. I saw that his rear right door suffered a 4 inch deep gash, but I didn't get out of my vehicle. He stopped a little ahead, walked up to me and says, "90% gaadi meri nikal chuki thi to aapne tokh diya". To which I just told him that I was just waiting for cars to pass and that so many cars before him had passed without any issue. I didn't tell him that he was at fault. I only told him my position. After some venting out, he just walked back. Let me tell you that this wasn't the old me. I've gradually learnt to let idiots remain idiots, because they won't change.

Last edited by vigsom : 13th June 2021 at 07:50.
vigsom is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 16:22   #465
Senior - BHPian

One may not get a thought or presence of mind to record the happenings through phone as the road rage is unfolding. In fact, recording may even further agitate the aggressor.

However having a dashcam footage may work to your advantage as first hand evidence in case it is decided to raise a complaint later.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th June 2021 at 18:18. Reason: Quoted text deleted

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks