Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2019, 19:34   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Very true.I believe road rage is not a reaction to events on the road, but a larger state of the mind of the populace itself. Bad marriages, poor academic or career performance, poor performance elsewhere, cash crunch, inflation, unstable politics, etc. are what leads to explosion against a soft target.
The only way to counter road rage is to be as aggressive as the opposing party and scaring him away from the encounter. Of course there is some road rage by suicidal persons against whom this never works. And since you never know, best is to ignore and run away.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 23:35   #317
Team-BHP Support

Food delivery guys are usually underpaid, overworked and often treated with very little respect by both their employers and the customers they serve. A lot of them admittedly don't even have time to eat a meal while on the clock.

None of that means condoning bad behaviour or road rage, but a little bit of kindness and respect goes a long way in mitigating the obvious frustration from boiling over.

The better half has now made it mandatory in our home to offer a snack packet (biscuits/cake), a bottle of water and a reasonable tip to any delivery guy who turns up at our door. One chap delivering a recent order admitted he was unwell and hungry, and blessed us for what ultimately cost us virtually nothing, but meant a lot to him.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 22:12   #318
BHPian

Today I witnessed true animal instincts come out in a person. People ready to fight for something that can be sorted out peacefully.

I was going to a movie to Vega city mall and witnessed this incident. Sound is muted but I think the video is clear. I spoke to the black i20 owner and he had a few scratches on his face. It was unfortunate and has scared me as to what some people are ready to do just to prove a point. You be the judge.

nikhn is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 22:21   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
Today I witnessed true animal instincts come out in a person. People ready to fight for something that can be sorted out peacefully.

I was going to a movie to Vega city mall and witnessed this incident. Sound is muted but I think the video is clear. I spoke to the black i20 owner and he had a few scratches on his face. It was unfortunate and has scared me as to what some people are ready to do just to prove a point. You be the judge.
That Omni driver must be ashamed to do this especially when he has children whom he ferries daily. Nevertheless, that guy probably would have landed in the police station and would spend some time with the cops at least, if not a case. Also, the children will report this issue at home and such people dont deserve doing school duties. In fact, his vehicle hardly looks damaged.
audioholic is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 22:24   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
That Omni driver must be ashamed to do this especially when he has children whom he ferries daily. Nevertheless, that guy probably would have landed in the police station and would spend some time with the cops at least, if not a case. Also, the children will report this issue at home and such people dont deserve doing school duties. In fact, his vehicle hardly looks damaged.
That was his family in the van and not a school van to ferry kids. How I know is, in the next signal, the van was next to my car and they were all speaking the same language. If you observe, you can see him push off the lady who got out from his car. Nevertheless, it's a bad example to be set.

Last edited by nikhn : 3rd February 2019 at 22:25. Reason: Spelling
Old 3rd February 2019, 22:46   #321
BHPian

Quote:
I was going to a movie to Vega city mall and witnessed this incident. Sound is muted but I think the video is clear. I spoke to the black i20 owner and he had a few scratches on his face.
Well what I learn from these events, when some thing like this happens just close your windows and lock your doors and drive down to the nearest police station if possible.

On the other hand i am literally shocked with van drivers behaviour, he was really lucky that there was no one like me in the i20.
revvharder is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 23:00   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That was his family in the van and not a school van to ferry kids. How I know is, in the next signal, the van was next to my car and they were all speaking the same language. If you observe, you can see him push off the lady who got out from his car. Nevertheless, it's a bad example to be set.
My bad! When I saw those kids and the Omni I assumed it was some school/institution van. And the lady, I again mistook to be from the i20. I wonder how these guys even show their faces to their family with such a behaviour Just shameless.
Old 4th February 2019, 16:15   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The van driver's behaviour is absolutely unacceptable. You should send this video to the police station so that they can take action against him.

Regrettably this will never happen and such people have nothing to lose hence they behave like this. A friend for a small mistake like this got a ruptured ear drum. Never roll down your window. If required drive to the nearest police station if you can.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 16:59   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kindly share this video on the BTP social media page. This kind of behavior definitely must be dealt with by the law.
PS- Always good to keep a can of Pepper spray and report to the nearest police station.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th February 2019 at 17:48. Reason: Video deleted from quote
Old 5th February 2019, 17:42   #325
Senior - BHPian

Clearly the van driver was over-reacting, but in most such cases language barrier acts as an added catalyst. There have been many instances of nut-cases resorting to attack with helmets/other props on the windshield or other windows to crack open in case one refuses to open the window.

At the expense of a traffic jam, the only other alternative for the i20 driver was to get down and calm the van driver and request him to get down and inspect the damages to both the vehicles and then settle. Easier said than done, though.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 17:42   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Such a pathetic excuse for a human being!

In some ways I'm glad you've put the video out. Hopefully he'll get a chance to view it at some point or someone he knows will see and draw his attention to it. One only hopes it works as an educational tool to help him help himself.

When enough such videos go online, I am guessing more people will be sensitized and keep those animal-instincts in check.

Quite some time back I was returning home on a 2-wheeler after an errand. A yellow-plate Innova nudges the 2-wheeler from behind. It was a small nudge, nonetheless I pulled over to question his antics. No anger or violent reaction on my part. Just curious to know why such a thing happened and how the driver can prevent it from happening again.

I urged the people in the Innova to speak up and ask their driver to get his act right. Their defense - "we are just college kids that have rented the vehicle!" What poor education they must be receiving.

The driver turns to me trying to get physical! I had a very hearty laugh right in his face. The guy was physically weak, you could tell he had no training in self-defense, but was trying to put up a tough-look. I had to just brush him off and move on and hope he would eventually learn his lesson without much damage.
Miyata is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 22:16   #327
BHPian

The one thing about road rage is, you just never know what is the kind of person at the other end. Sometimes you would find a mild mannered fellow and sometimes a thug. The way I see it, you need to avoid is as much as possible but always be prepared to defend yourself by whatever means necessary.

I've had this one incidence in Bangalore. There was this guy who was purposefully driving slow (on his bike), take off then stop abruptly, if I tried overtaking him, he would cut me off. I tried to give him space, but he would slow down.

After about 5 minutes, I had a clear shot of overtaking him and I did, but he still catches me again and tries to nudge my car. I then stop ahead on the left; the guy stops beside me and even though I am pissed off; I still asked him calmly, 'What are you trying to do?', he starts arguing and I know that he just wants to pick a fight.

I was prepared for it though; and while lunging towards me he sees my hand up and something in my hand that was very capable of giving the fellow a few bruises, he backs out, whimpers and leaves.

That was the only way to avoid a fight, when I was in that situation; however, when I think of it now, I could have handled it much better by simply stopping my car and getting a cup of tea form one of the innumerable tea shops by the roadside!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th February 2019 at 14:15. Reason: Spacing
pratyush6 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 23:09   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
Well what I learn from these events, when some thing like this happens just close your windows and lock your doors and drive down to the nearest police station if possible..
When I had my own moment of infamy (video's shared here maybe 2-3 pages ago on this thread), I couldn't drive away. I was boxed in by the raging motorcyclist in front, the median and by slow traffic all around. It was like being in a cage with a feral animal. I seriously don't know how to handle these instances! Driving away from the scene is all I know to do (since the raging chap could be an axe murderer for all I know, while I'm just a plain guy who's incapable of violence). What does a guy like me or this i20 do but receive whatever is dished out?
locusjag is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 12:27   #329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
...Driving away from the scene is all I know to do (since the raging chap could be an axe murderer for all I know, while I'm just a plain guy who's incapable of violence). What does a guy like me or this i20 do but receive whatever is dished out?
Driving away, or whatever else it takes to NOT engage/escalate hostilities is the sensible thing to do, though our egos usually feel otherwise in the moment.

If all such avenues are closed, I guess one just lets their survival instinct take over and try to minimise the damage to one's own person. It's foolish to endanger ourselves to protect our cars, love them as much as we do. Spares, repairs or outright replacement don't apply to humans the same way, yet

No easy answers though, and I've seen plenty of meek people seemingly incapable of defending themselves, hold their own when it came down to it.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th February 2019 at 12:29.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 13:06   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post

At the expense of a traffic jam, the only other alternative for the i20 driver was to get down and calm the van driver and request him to get down and inspect the damages to both the vehicles and then settle. Easier said than done, though.
Quoting myself, call it coincidence! My car was involved in a ditto fender-bender yesterday night when a Baleno tried to sneak in from the left while I was joining the main road. Result was a scratch & a minor dent on the front left door.

While I calmly took the car out of the mangle and parked aside on the busy road to inspect the damage, I was expecting the Baleno driver to do the same. But, to my surprise he whisked away into the traffic. I then realized that my uber-casual attitude let him loose and dent my purse of approx 1.5-2k damage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks