Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:52   #301
BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post

I got home quite tensed. My 3 year old and our neighbor's 3 year old were both playing dangerously on our sofa's cushion atop the backrest. I tried telling them to stop it. Then I snapped utterly and completely and threw my daughter down onto the sofa from the backrest. And then I picked up the neighbor's son and did the same. They both bawled uncontrollably and I shushed them, trembling with all my pent-up rage. Boy, was I living dangerously yesterday!

I can't keep doing this to myself and to my loved ones.
On the road i agree, we tend to lose temper, especially when some idiot touches our beloved ride. But taking it home, is very wrong (some of us do it). In such a scenario, after you park the car, give yourself few minutes, and then step out of the car. I am sure it will help, and pretty sure you would have tried it.
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:54   #302
BHPian

Quote:
I can't keep doing this to myself and to my loved ones.
Sorry this happened to you. These morons are dime a dozen in Chennai. I have had multiple similar experiences including once when a guy intentionally scratched my new car.

My home is on a busy congested street which goes a bit uphill and many of the motorcyclists don't have basic courtesy of giving way to a vehicle struggling to navigate up when there is vehicle or obstruction on their side. They just cross their lane without care and don't give way for vehicles to go up. Many Uber and Ola drivers who don't know the area well get irritated at motorcyclists and honk at them which triggers some morons and end up in a physical fight. This is a monthly occurrence during peak hours.

They use the factor that damaging the cars will hurt us and they are unafraid to use it. Many private cars and taxis have been intentionally scratched or dented and cab drivers who know this street needs real convincing to get us picked up or dropped during peak hours.

I also changed my work time to be during non-peak hours to reduce similar occurrences and avoid these kind of people and it's one of the best decision I made to improve the quality of my life.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 23rd November 2018 at 11:56.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:12   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
On the road i agree, we tend to lose temper, especially when some idiot touches our beloved ride. But taking it home, is very wrong (some of us do it). In such a scenario, after you park the car, give yourself few minutes, and then step out of the car. I am sure it will help, and pretty sure you would have tried it.
I didn't even know that I was still harboring negativity within myself. I was the ultimate picture of serenity throughout the incident and on the way home. I feel terrible about my actions at home now. Good suggestions from you really; the next time this happens, I'll take a long walk before letting myself near loved ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Sorry this happened to you. These morons are dime a dozen in Chennai. I have had multiple similar experiences including once when a guy intentionally scratched my new car.

They use the factor that damaging the cars will hurt us and they are unafraid to use it.
I'm sorry too that this has happened to you. It's a mind numbing occurrence because entire life's realities get turned upside down in such incidents. Evil triumphs over innocence, contrary to what we're led to believe all the time. More than the damage to one's car, it's the sheer violence and the mind-altering nature of these experiences that affects me.

Quote:
I also changed my work time to be during non-peak hours to reduce similar occurrences and avoid these kind of people and it's one of the best decision I made to improve the quality of my life.
I'm the king of backroads and non peak hour commutes. I agree that avoiding traffic is the best solution. You can't argue with these idiots and so, avoiding them is the best bet. Unfortunately, I left office later than I usually do and I got caught up with true evil yesterday...
locusjag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 22:00   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And I can't report this to the Chennai city traffic police via their webpage either because they have a dangerous habit of announcing "Based on the complaint with video evidence by Mr.XYZ, we have issued a challan against Mr.ABC...". I don't want to be Mr.XYZ who got killed by Mr.ABC and his wolfpack!
What website is it and who can lodge a complaint? I'd be more than happy to lodge one on your behalf without revealing your identity, if that's possible. I know exactly how you feel and I want these scumbags punished.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th February 2019 at 07:54. Reason: Let's not promote violence
McLaren Rulez is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 22:38   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I circled around aimlessly before going home. I didn't want them following me home. And I can't report this to the Chennai city traffic police via their webpage either because they have a dangerous habit of announcing "Based on the complaint with video evidence by Mr.XYZ, we have issued a challan against Mr.ABC...". I don't want to be Mr.XYZ who got killed by Mr.ABC and his wolfpack! As it is the, the parivahan website trumpets one's name and address to the world with gay abandon. I don't know if the miscreants have noted my car's number or not.
You're in the middle of the so called two extremes.. on the one hand you seem extremely calculative, risk-averse and damage-preventative and on the other you couldn't help show some frustration and indulge in conflict creation (I've been in way worse but let's say that this was one). You gotta choose one and stick with it.. either roll with the punches, or dole them out.

My mindset is that people have no authority to walk over me, specially if I'm not in the wrong.. so in that way I do not hesitate from pointing it out at any cost, let the opponent carry a gun or a knife. A friend of mine is the exact opposite.. he shies away from conflict, lets people cut the line in a queue, or even tones down a notch or two when he's cornered by aggressive conversation. Neither of us are ideal to say the least.

In this great toilet that is Indian traffic, you need to train your mind to accept that many riders aren't law-abiding, can put anyone at risk of physical/mental harm at any point and in general are the chlorine trifluoride chemical equivalent of the motorists index. Nowadays when I see any of these "types" that you encountered, I let them go right ahead and never tail them. Every damn time a junction/parallel crossing comes up I automatically switch to the middle lane or slow down a lot before the cutting comes up.. almost every single time I've not been disappointed as a rider cuts across out of thin air, they are magicians, we need to anticipate them.

I'm going to be taking a lot of flak for this post from two-wheeler riders.. but what I type are solely my experiences in a city that is an unquestionable number one in motorcycle population, and it doesn't in any way indict all riders of the same illegalities. Just brake hard to save your tail and move on, no point teaching any motorist a lesson when you are aware and cautious of the risks it carries. Even a stern expression is enough to set off certain people.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 01:14   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
What website is it and who can lodge a complaint? I'd be more than happy to lodge one on your behalf without revealing your identity, if that's possible. I know exactly how you feel and I want these scumbags punished.
Thanks for empathizing with me mate. It's the Chennai City Traffic Police's Facebook page. And I also found their WhatsApp account to which people can send pics or footage. But yeah, I'm sitting here typing all this with pursed lips and a sadly nodding head... I would say it's not worth it. If they noted my number plate, it's effectively checkmate right now - assuming a pawn isn't already moving in the dark of the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
You're in the middle of the so called two extremes.. on the one hand you seem extremely calculative, risk-averse and damage-preventative and on the other you couldn't help show some frustration and indulge in conflict creation (I've been in way worse but let's say that this was one). You gotta choose one and stick with it.. either roll with the punches, or dole them out.
Spot on! You've analyzed me perfectly. I wanted to (stupidly) not aggravate the situation by honking (so I didn't), but still somehow let him know how much he's putting himself in danger. I guess I gesticulated for that purpose by throwing my hands up...this was all out of genuine goodness in my heart. So what am I? Am I every dolt's Miyagi-san? Am I God incarnate to cure all the lepers out there? And where are we? In a fairytale? I guess like Jack Dorsey did recently, I had a Mother Teresa moment there

Quote:
Even a stern expression is enough to set off certain people.
Oh yeah, do I know this now! It's the fuse to set off some powder kegs.

All in all, good judgment comes from bad experiences. So that's the value I'm getting out of all this. I hope everyone reading here learns something too. Don't do whatever I did!

Last edited by Aditya : 4th February 2019 at 13:44. Reason: Quoted text edited
Old 24th November 2018, 10:21   #307
BHPian

There are certain "specific" areas here in Bengaluru wherein the people belonging to a community blatantly violate traffic rules in those areas and put others in danger. An experience today confirmed the same. This middle aged guy comes out of a cross road in his scooter guns blazing with no indication whatsoever. He had his daughter sitting in the back, both without any helmet. Then he has the audacity to scream colourful words at me for not watching out. I stop to tell him to be careful as he has a kid, he threatens me that I'm in his area and his people will take care of me if I act arrogant. That's when I realised he's an illiterate and got out of there. I wonder what example does he set for his children.
nikhn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 21:16   #308
PGA
BHPian

It was sometime in 1993, I was a proud, young, just married guy. I had a Govt job, bangla, gadi and above all, authorised to carry a weapon.

I was travelling in my car on a highway with my wife to a place about two hours from my residence, I was carrying a weapon, reason what psychologists might term as 'ego massaging'.

You have assumed rightly that I was looking for trouble and surely I got one. I wanted to overtake a car, those days we always overtook from right hand side. I patiently carried on for some time behind, there were two guys in the front car, when they didn't notice me I honked, the driver saw me but didn't move to left side, I honked again, he was unmindful. I got more agitated, I gave a longish one, I could notice that they were not bothered. I moved over to the left hand side and brought my car parallel with them, I shouted if they were deaf, majority cars moved around with windows rolled down in those days, I got an immediate retort, which I and my wife heard clearly. How the hell could the person curse me that too in front of my newly wedded wife. My anger bolted through the galaxies, I cut them up and forced them to stop, I got out of the car thinking I could take on both of them physically even when it was taught to me that no one person can take on two guys unless you have some special training and others were absolute novices. Those guys were still in their car, now little unsure of my capabilities I pulled out my weapon. It was then that I heard a scream, it was my wife telling me to come to my senses and with some grace of God some realisation came to me, I sat back in my car and drove on head hanging low and hearing continuous stream of lecture from my wife, she drove such sense into my head that I have driven many many miles since then and have never carried a weapon on myself. Today I look back and smile and never stop telling her that she made me a better person.

I still drive almost 100 kms daily and see many of my own kind on the way, I just smile and let them have their way, I was like them sometime ago but it's just not worth it. At times when I do land up in minor skirmish on the road I just smile at my opponent and let him have his way, infact many times the other person insists that I have my way.
PGA is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 10:40   #309
Senior - BHPian

Kandivali businessman who broke cabbie’s teeth in road rage case gets 1-year in jail.

Quote:
At a time when incidents of road rage are on the rise in the city, a magistrate court recently sent out a strong strong message by convicting and sentencing a 38-year-old Kandivali businessman to one-year imprisonment for attacking a taxi driver with his helmet Kemps Corner in 2015.
News Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 16:31   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Road rage claims yet another life in Delhi as assailants shoot man after their scooter brushes past his car.
======
Doctors said that excessive blood loss led to the victim's death. He is survived by a wife and a 10-year-old daughter.
Source

There is another twist to the story, wherein the family alleges it was a conspiracy to murder. You can find the complete story here.

In either case, it is sad that a person had to lose his life. It also reinstates my belief(as stated by many others previously in this thread) that it is best to always stay composed and remain in the car.
Mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 10:32   #311
Senior - BHPian

This article about a restaurant damage and 30 arrested people seems to have started as road rage following 2 bikes brushing against each other.
Bengaluru: 30 men arrested as Swiggy, Hotel Empire workers clash | Bengaluru News - Times of India https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/67517959.cms

I'm not sure what the exact sequence of events are and what caused this incident to tip over, but I must remember that the next person I brush against or argue with on the road could get me into very serious trouble.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 11:10   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I'm not sure what the exact sequence of events are and what caused this incident to tip over, but I must remember that the next person I brush against or argue with on the road could get me into very serious trouble.
The other version I heard was that there had been some complaints made by customers who ordered through Swiggy from Empire. This in turn made Empire complain to Swiggy about poor delivery service by its delivery boys which then resulted in the delivery boys suffering a payment cut, and part of their incentive were now linked to customer and hotel feedback. This had resulted in them being unhappy about losing money. When this incident of brushing against vehicles happened, it was a 1-1 altercation. Later the staffers of the hotel ganged up against the delivery boy. This in turn led to him spreading the news among his peers and they came with the frustration of the recent incident and started ransacking the restaurant.

I wonder how people(delivery guys in this case) are losing common sense and feel they can get away with such stuff, especially when dealing with such a hotel chain. That too, when they know their job is at stake since now, they are in the hands of law, and against a powerful company. The road rage factor plays a very small role here and it is majorly the issue of the earlier developments. It serves them right for getting arrested. Some of these delivery boys are 18 turned roaming jobless who are introduced to such systems. The way they drive itself is horrible and they arent going too far with this. Personally I have great respect for the rest of the bunch, the ones who dont belong to this group who work sincerely and also drive far better. Some filtering must be done by swiggy to improve whom it recruits and whom it rejects.

Last edited by audioholic : 15th January 2019 at 11:14.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 11:35   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

I wonder how people(delivery guys in this case) are losing common sense and feel they can get away with such stuff, especially when dealing with such a hotel chain. That too, when they know their job is at stake since now, they are in the hands of law, and against a powerful company.
Hardly - the word on the floor is the need for good reliable folks who will stay for longer durations; apparently it's a very short stint - quick move situation for these temporary / contract roles. Retaining the delivery guys is a tough job is what I hear, and movement is very high.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 12:13   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Hardly - the word on the floor is the need for good reliable folks who will stay for longer durations; apparently it's a very short stint - quick move situation for these temporary / contract roles. Retaining the delivery guys is a tough job is what I hear, and movement is very high.
I don't know but as far as I have seen, Uber Eats seems to have good drivers. Swiggy drivers are wannabe Rossi types. Had one such (18 odd, "mushroom haircut", no helmet of course) doing S cuts between my Scorpio and another oncoming CRV in his Scooty earlier today to overtake.
Old 15th January 2019, 13:51   #315
Senior - BHPian

Let's not take this thread into the bad drivers thread.
What I'm trying to highlight partly is that when you have a trivial interaction, it could trigger a massive reaction depending on the situation and mindset of the other person. I've seen it with auto drivers. You never know what grudges or ill feelings they harbour against car drivers, doctors, Audis, blue shirts, IT companies or the weather.
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks