Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2013, 19:12   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How useful are Front Airbags?

I think Front airbags, or any airbags for that matter are extremely useful. Of course, it all depends on how the car gets hit. But still.

I'm a little surprised to see ABS mentioned. There is, as far as I know from Europe and the USA no evidence that ABS leads to less accidents. In fact, there appears to be some evidence that it actually increases the accident rates for two reasons:

Driver start relying on their ABS and leave less room for margin. Also, you might be able to stop in front of the guy ahead of you, but then you get rear ended by the guy behind you who did not have ABS.

In general there is evidence that making cars safer, will lead to the drivers taking bigger risks. What airbags do of course, is they ensure you walk away with little or relative little injury compared to having no airbags.

So even though accident rates might go up, survival rates go up too. Overall still a good thing.

The one thing not mentioned at all in this thread is the relevance/importance of having properly adjusted head rests. With or without airbag, once the vehicle comes to a rest there comes a moment where the body will be thrown backwards. Especially if somebody else piles into your from the rear. Without a properly adjusted head rest you will sustain possible very serious neck injuries. The famous "whip lash" is actually due to this injury when you get rear ended. Its not so much as your head tipping forward but tipping backwards at high velocity towards the end of the crash.

Drive safely!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 19:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I OD30102031432

Driver start relying on their ABS and leave less room for margin. Also, you might be able to stop in front of the guy ahead of you, but then you get rear ended by the guy behind you who did not have ABS.

head rest you will sustain possible very serious neck injuries. The famous "whip lash" is actually due to this injury when you get rear ended. Its not so much as your head tipping forward but tipping backwards at high velocity towards the end of the crash.

Drive safely!

Jeroen
Brilliant! This morning I was on the road and was braking gently before a traffic light. My car which has ABS stopped perfectly. Some blessed blunderbuss woman behind me in a tinbox Alto slammed her brakes behind me a little too late and came to a screeching halt a hairsbreadth behind me! Of course I pulled over and taxed her. Apparently the dunderhead was busy arranging the guff and rubbish in her blighted car and hence braked late. All I can say is I am thankful she had the decency to admit to her woollen headed behaviour and that she did not prang me because the damages could have been expensive for me. Thank god!
Old 6th January 2013, 10:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I think Front airbags, or any airbags for that matter are extremely useful. Of course, it all depends on how the car gets hit. But still.

I'm a little surprised to see ABS mentioned. There is, as far as I know from Europe and the USA no evidence that ABS leads to less accidents. In fact, there appears to be some evidence that it actually increases the accident rates for two reasons:

Jeroen
I agree with this. Reliance on ABS has gone up.
that said, I wonder what sort of protection cars offer when a car is subjected to a T-bone impact or a really bad shunt.
Old 8th January 2013, 00:12   #34
BHPian

Hi,

Just reading through this thread and thought of clarifying some myths:

1) Airbags are not mandatory in EU.

The crash test requirement specifies Injury Criterions and the simplest way to meet them is by using Airbags as SRS.

2) ABS and Airbags cannot be compared as the former is an active (avoid crash) safety device while the latter is a passive (post crash reduce injury) device.

3) Seat Belts are not "bought out" items.

They play an integral part in the vehicle design and there are mandatory functional tests to ensure that they do perform.

The answer to the thread is that yes, airbags (frontal/side/knee) (in tandem with seat belts) help reduce injury during a crash.

However, everytime I drive in India I think that safety systems are not the solution to crash related deaths in India, basic awareness and education with enforcement (enhanced periodic vehicle examinations) is.

Forget about the common junta, how many T-BHP ians ensure that their tyres have a good tread depth, their brake fluid is replaced at the given frequency, that they check whether all their lamps work?

Regards,

Gandhar.
Gansbab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 15:23   #35
Team-BHP Support

That is fast, it is so fast

bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks