Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2024, 07:33   #346
BHPian

Re: How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout

Hello all

I had a tyre blowout on Mysore express way last week and providentially I could pull over to the left most lane. The car was Innova fully loaded with 5 adults and luggage riding on Michelin 205/65 R15 energy XM2. I had 3 elderly passengers too.

Mysore expressway is a nightmare if there is a puncture or any other emergency. No shoulder space at all ! Luckily there was a tow vehicle passing by and the good Samaritans instantly got down to work and helped change to the spare.

The affected tyre is not usable and the spare has cracked as well due to prolonged non usage

Now these tyres are not available in the market. The dilemma is the three good tyres have hardly 12k on them. So question 1. Can I change two tyres alone to a different brand - in here either Yoko or Conti of the same rating... 2. between Conti and Yoko which comes closest to Michelin in-terms of road noise and comfort? 3. Any other suggestion?

Thanks much.

(Mods: I had posted in the choosing right tire section too. Pls delete it there. Apologies for the inconvenience)

Last edited by subbu567 : 11th April 2024 at 07:36.
Old 11th April 2024, 11:59   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbu567 View Post
Hello all

The affected tyre is not usable and the spare has cracked as well due to prolonged non usage

Now these tyres are not available in the market. The dilemma is the three good tyres have hardly 12k on them. So question 1. Can I change two tyres alone to a different brand - in here either Yoko or Conti of the same rating... 2. between Conti and Yoko which comes closest to Michelin in-terms of road noise and comfort? 3. Any other suggestion?

Thanks much.

(Mods: I had posted in the choosing right tire section too. Pls delete it there. Apologies for the inconvenience)
Get the new tyres at the rear as the Innova is RWD. Other 3 can be inspected & better ones put up on the front & the last one as stepney/ spare. Just to save life of stepney/ spare, get it checked & inflated at regular intervals.

For brand of tyres, I prefer Continentals, but the forum swears by Yokos. It boils down to personal choice & maybe few more suggestions.

PS : you may move your post to Tyres section too.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 17:30   #348
BHPian

Thanks much, replaced the rear tyres with Conti UC, sourced from Tyresnmore. Seamless experience, from calling to getting the tyre replaced at the door steps, took about 4 hours!

Drove the car for 25 kms on airport road to check on the comfort and road noise. Pleased so far.

With this experience, I would recommend everyone to check tyre pressure and condition before entering MEW- especially on the return journey. I always do that, but missed it this time, and paid the price.
subbu567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 22:36   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all

I had a tyre blowout on Mysore express way last week and providentially I could pull over to the left most lane. The car was Innova fully loaded with 5 adults and luggage riding on Michelin 205/65 R15 energy XM2.
How old was the blowout tyre and how many kms it had covered till then?
Old 12th April 2024, 05:11   #350
BHPian

The tyres were replaced in April 2021. And have approximately 12~14k Km’s on them.
subbu567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 18:56   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all

" Mysore expressway is a nightmare if there is a puncture or any other emergency. No shoulder space at all ! Luckily there was a tow vehicle passing by and the good Samaritans instantly got down to work and helped change to the spare."

Hi Subbu,

This might sound a little impolite but in the interest of all passengers and your safety, please don't take it otherwise. I'm curious to know the implied meaning of your sentence that when you say that good Samaritans helped in changing the spare do you mean that you didn't have the tools to change the tire or you were not aware of changing one by yourself. Considering that most of us here drive our cars more frequently and extensively ourselves both on highways and otherwise, also when we have women and elders isn't it wise to check the below?
1. Puncture kit
2. Checking the spare wheel before we go on a journey even if it is a known and frequented one.
3. This might sound utterly ridiculous but knowing the route would probably be handy, of course on pure hindsight.

I'm not judging you at all and please forgive me if I have it wrong. Its' just the thought of this happening during late evenings and on stretches other than dual carriageways or highways then what would be the recourse one would take which drove me to think of the above. Also, I'm being intrigued in true BHPian spirit which over the years has not only made me identify blindspots in my day-to-day approach and learn a lot of new things but also change a few habits too. Cheers
sumzup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 21:17   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
Hi Subbu,

1. Puncture kit
2. Checking the spare wheel before we go on a journey even if it is a known and frequented one.
3. This might sound utterly ridiculous but knowing the route would probably be handy, of course on pure hindsight.
Hi,

Where did I say I did not have kit / did not know to change? It looks like I may have implied so. It was a stroke of luck that an emergency vehicle was passing by, they stopped, changed and went in about 10 minutes! Thats all there is to it. What I meant by check before you enter MEW was- check the pressure and visually for any potential issue. Yes not to have checked the condition of the spare was a mistake, but the fact is it still served the purpose

I hope this helps.

Last edited by subbu567 : 25th April 2024 at 21:20.
subbu567 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks