Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2022, 10:30   #331

Re: How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout

Hi folks
The stock tyres on my Baleno Zata AT need to be replaced. I have covered almost 50K on these. Any suggestions on a specific brand? Car is used mostly for city driving in Bengaluru and some outstation trips once in two months or so.
joserajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 13:07   #332
HTC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joserajesh View Post
Hi folks
The stock tyres on my Baleno Zata AT need to be replaced. I have covered almost 50K on these. Any suggestions on a specific brand? Car is used mostly for city driving in Bengaluru and some outstation trips once in two months or so.
For my Figo, I moved from michellin xm2 to Pirelli Cinturato P6(185/65 R 14 Tubeless 86 H). Have run more than 10k kms and happy with the performance. Tyres absorb unevenness very well and the ride is plaint and confidence inspiring.
HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 13:16   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joserajesh View Post
Hi folks
So i'm assuming that your current tyres are shod with 195/55/r16?
if yes then i highly recommend the michelin p4st's.
We've been running this setup for ~2yrs and it has delivered far superior performance than the previous bridgestones. Cheers!
jono213 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 00:26   #334
BHPian

I think one of the cardinal points of preventing a tyre Burst is to REPLACE the tyres after it has completed a period of 4 to 5 years, i.e replace the tyres irrespective of whether the tyre tread is fully worn out or not. This is because tyres lose their elasticity and flexibility due to the hardening of rubber in about 5 years time, making the tyres brittle. Disaster strikes on such tyres, on a hot summer day when the temperature and pressure rise further exacerbated by driving at very high speeds. There were news articles talking about the government mandating higher silicon content in tyres making them softer and hence more flexible, reducing the pace of tyres hardening. But do not know where that stands. I would highly recommend replacing tyres in 5 years or when the tread is 75% worn out whichever is earlier.
trail_lover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 09:28   #335
BHPian

I think the argument used by insurance company was flawed. Anything which is made by humans, to be used, operated or consumption by humans will always have a human error angle to it, which is what the court observed.

An act of God is an uncontrollable event, such as tornadoes, floods, earthquakes or tsunamis, not caused nor controlled by humans. These are events considered uncontrollable by human intervention
Insurance companies often limit or exclude coverage for acts of God.
Policyholders should be aware of the details of coverage under acts of god.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...mpaign=iPadapp
Old_Salt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 10:53   #336
Senior - BHPian

Tyre wear to look out for
Attached Thumbnails
How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout-347795818_214591978001926_8942515686206224129_n.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 13:57   #337

Saw a lot of contradictory statements on this and other threads so I thought I will try this experiment for myself and observe the results. Please find a quick summary below
  • Vehicle: VW Polo GT TSI 2019.
  • Tyres: Continental UC6, 195/55/R16. Purchased in April 2023, Hardly approx 2000 km done so essentially brand new.
  • VW recommended pressure: 36 psi Front & 33 psi Rear for light loads, 36 psi Front & 38 psi Rear for heavy loads.
  • Actual Pressure filled: 37PSI (all tyres).
  • Ambient Temperature at time of filling: 31 Degrees.
  • Filled with: Air, not N2
  • Tyre Temperature at time of filling: 31 Degrees (Filled late evening at 6:30 PM, car was idle since 2PM in the afternoon and parked in shade. Filling station approx 100M driving distance from Hotel).
  • Tyre measurement: JK Tyre Treel TPMS with Mobile app. (Very convinced with both the pressure and temperature measurements as I have checked them several times in the past).
  • Ambient temperature measurement: VW Polo instrument console Display. (Observation = Fairly accurate unless car is idling in which case the temperature displayed is slightly higher as a result of heat radiated from the engine).

Test results
  • Journey: Velankanni to Bangalore, Approx 425 KMS
  • Route: Velankanni -> Chidambaram ->Kallakurichi -> Thiruvanamalai ->Singarapettai ->Krishnagiri -> Hosur -> Sarjapura (Bangalore)
  • Route Conditions: Work in progress until Chidambaram. Post that nice village roads with sparse traffic. Tar roads throughout, encountered only 1 or 2 concrete stretches. Tar roads = 90%, Concrete roads 10%.
  • Passengers: Myself, Spouse & Small kids.
  • Approx Passenger load: 170KG
  • Approx Luggage load: 30 KG (Small trolley bag + 2 backpacks + some food and water).
  • Start time: 7:10 AM from Velankanni
  • End time: 4:20 PM at Bangalore

Findings

Raw Data

How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout-raw-data.png

For simplicity, averaged the pressures and temperatures for Front tyres & Rear tyres respectively and plotted the graphs.

Tyre pressure vs temperature

How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout-temp-vs-pressure.png

Average speed added to the equation

How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout-average-speed-temp.png

Ambient Temperature Correlation

How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout-ambient-temperature-coorelation.png

Some Insights
  • The minimum and maximum ambient temperatures were 29 & 37 Degree respectively.
  • The minimum and maximum tyre pressures were 37 & 44 PSI respectively. The rear right tyre was the hottest.
  • The minimum and maximum tyre temperatures were 31 & 50 Degree respectively. The front left tyre was the hottest at 50 Degree with the front right coming a close second at 49 Degree.
  • The Front two tyres were hotter by about 2-3 degree as compared to the rear tyres.
  • However the rear two tyres averaged higher pressure of 42 PSI, inspite of their temperatures being lesser.
  • The tyre temperatures positively coorelates with the ambient temperature.
  • The average speed had no much correlation with the temperatures and pressures. What am I missing here ? Possibly other factors such as stops, road conditions, my driving conditions, breaking etc. impacted the readings which I haven't been able to capture in the data here

Experts please provide your insights.

Thanks,
Deepak
Deepak George is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 11:41   #338
ved

Had a harrowing experience of TWO tyre burst while going to Sakleshpur over the weekend. I was very lucky and unlucky at the same time - Lucky because the burst happened near a road-side puncture shop, unlucky because not one but TWO tyres burst. The problem was amplified because no nearby Tyre shop (there were plenty) had the right tyres for the BMW 320d. Managing family while the repair happens was challenging as well.
Sequence of events -

1. Near Hassan bypass (https://goo.gl/maps/ubTZpzvL82mugFrF6) our car hit a bump on the left side. The pothole was deep and sharp. Immediately there was a warning to check air pressure on right left tyre
2. I slowed down the car and cross the road to the other side near this puncture shop. The helpful puncture shop owner showed me another Toyota with similar problem (two tyre bursts on the same location)
3. On inspection we realized that both the left tyres had got damaged on the side
4. I call BMW Roadside assistance, they ask me if I have paid for it - if yes, they can send a car and tow-truck from Bangalore !! that would take 3 hours. So this was useless for us
5. The helpful puncture shop calls a nearby tyre shop - after 30 mins of calling, we found a pair of Yokohama 250/R17 that can fit the car. I order online via UPI
6. 30 mins of wait and the tyres are delivered in an auto
Overall we were stranded on the road for 1.5 hours

While there was no serious damage because of this, as a frequent highway traveller, I am a bit shaken. This can happen any time to anyone. I have a few questions.
1. Is roadside assistant even useful in incidents like these ? BMW kept asking me nonsense questions and finally decided not help at all
2. BMW handled well despite both tyres burst at the same time due to low speed. This thread is super useful in retrospect. However, is there something I should be mindful of while driving around potholed roads
3. I was lucky to be nearby a puncture shop - what is the best protocol in such circumstances.
How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout-img_2450.jpg
How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout-img_2452.jpg
ved is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 15:53   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ved View Post
5. The helpful puncture shop calls a nearby tyre shop - after 30 mins of calling, we found a pair of Yokohama 250/R17 that can fit the car. I order online via UPI
6. 30 mins of wait and the tyres are delivered in an auto
Overall we were stranded on the road for 1.5 hours
That is a horrific tyre injury! Utterly beyond any repair, even of the most temporary kind.

The puncture shop guy fitted the tyres for you? Was he able to balance the wheels too, or you have to get that done subsequently?

Quote:
1. Is roadside assistant even useful in incidents like these ? BMW kept asking me nonsense questions and finally decided not help at all
I guess that Britain's AA is one of the archetypal roadside assistance services. In my years of membership in UK, I have had...

1. A dead car trucked back to my home (along with me, of course) after a big-end seizure on the motorway

2. a new battery brought out and fitted when my car would not restart outside a small, rural cafe on an intercity trip.

3. a guy fetching petrol for me. There was a little in the tank: I had been relying on it, but parked on a steep hill it was not available to the engine.

4. another major engine failure in my GF's car. Again, the car was trucked to her home.

The service was fairly good, but involved waiting time in hours.

I pay a small amount add-on with my motor policy here: my agent warned me not to expect much!

All that aside, a BMW is a BMW, and surely they should give a premium service?

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 15th August 2023 at 15:54.
Old 15th August 2023, 17:39   #340
ved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The puncture shop guy fitted the tyres for you? Was he able to balance the wheels too, or you have to get that done subsequently?
The shop was makeshift and he could only fit the tyres. I will need to balance the wheels in Bangalore. I drove back 220km from Sakleshpur to Bangalore the next day on the changed tyres (always looking for the deep potholes) and the drive was very balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
All that aside, a BMW is a BMW, and surely they should give a premium service?
Both the India-wide roadside assistance + Navneet motors guys were unhelpful. Possibly because my roadside assistance coverage was expired, I explicitly told them that I am willing to pay. My BMW experience in Bangalore has been quite pathetic so far.
ved is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 17:23   #341

Dear mods,

Please delete if not relevant in this thread.

Owing to the current horrific accidents which came to light in quick successions, would like to know if the same methods/ tips do apply on " how to handle a Tyre detached and what can be done in such situation"

Would like to know what are some precautions/ things to do in order to avoid such situation.
Also if god forbid we are in such a situation what is the best way to safely bring the car to a halt.

Attaching a few links to the threads
Mahindra Scorpio
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...l?#post5686882 (Owner loses leg after Mahindra Scorpio-N crashes into barrier due to *alleged* suspension failure)

Tata Nexon
https://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/man-cla...reacts-4747030
Old 28th December 2023, 12:29   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepak George View Post
The average speed had no much correlation with the temperatures and pressures. What am I missing here ? Possibly other factors such as stops, road conditions, my driving conditions, breaking etc. impacted the readings which I haven't been able to capture in the data here
Usually, I have noticed a slight banking on Highways to drain out rainwater, which is towards left, thus the left tyre gets bit more load than the right ones. In my Nexon TPMS I have noticed front and rear left tyres gain 1-2 psi more pressure while driving.

Front wheel drive cars generate more friction in front tyres, so increased temperature and pressure can be seen. I observed front tyre pressure increases quickly in both of my Glanza and Nexon compared to the rear ones.

By the way, I am astonished to see such psi numbers because both of my Glanza and Nexon are filled till 30psi (cold) and they never reached beyond 35psi ever.
Old 11th January 2024, 21:45   #343

My experience with a tyre blowout on the Mumbai-Pune expressway.

This incident is from back in April 2012 while driving from Thane to Pune. Back then I would drive regularly between Thane & Pune.
At the time, I was driving a first gen Maruti swift ZXi with the K12 engine. The car was a little less than 2 years old with about 22000 Km on it & was running on the stock JK tubeless tyres (185/65 R15). The recommended tyre pressure was 30 psi but for highway runs I was using a slightly higher pressure as was recommended in a article on the subject in Autocar India magazine - more on this later.
I was near the end of the expressway & I was in the rightmost lane overtaking another car & must have been doing about 100 - 110 Kmph when suddenly there was a sound like a Diwali Bomb going off under the car. The front right tyre had burst. Fortunately I recalled the article in Autocar India & did not apply the brakes & instead I slowly lifted off the accelerator, maneuvered the car to the left most lane & stopped safely. It would not have ended well if I had applied the brakes as a reflex & we would probably have read about a fatal accident on the expressway. The fender was messed up & there was water under the car - my first thought was that the radiator was damaged. I was not able to open the bonnet to check. I tried calling the emergency numbers but was not getting through. I was changing the tyre when the highway patrol arrived. They checked & found that the cable which opens the bonnet was broken. They managed to open the bonnet & verify that the radiator was OK. The water that spilled was from the windscreen wash container which was damaged. I was able to drive the car after changing the tyre & to the nearest Maruti ASS & got the damage repaired under insurance. Incidentally they did a pretty good job with the repairs. I am also attaching photos of the car from 2016 just before I sold it with about 100000 Km on it. Needless to say I changed all my tyres including the spare to brand new Michelins as soon as I got the car back.
Attached Thumbnails
How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout-photo0079.jpg  

How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout-photo0078.jpg  

How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout-photo0077.jpg  

How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout-img_20160211_085330571.jpg  

How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout-img_20160211_085312447.jpg  

shogun_man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 17:11   #344
NSN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
For my Figo, I moved from michellin xm2 to Pirelli Cinturato P6(185/65 R 14 Tubeless 86 H). Have run more than 10k kms and happy with the performance. Tyres absorb unevenness very well and the ride is plaint and confidence inspiring.
one lakh km with a single set of tyres? in how many months this was covered?
Old 16th January 2024, 22:53   #345
HTC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSN View Post
one lakh km with a single set of tyres? in how many months this was covered?
No sir. 10 thousand kms done on Pirelli tyres. Not 1 lac

Most Viewed