Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2013, 12:21   #286
BHPian

Re: Attention: New Maruti Suzuki Swift Brake Issue

Got my second free service done last week from Shivam Autozone, same place I bought the Dzire and also the same place where I got my first free service done.
I told them that the problem is still there, they picked up the car today and have taken it to a MSIL facility in Bandra where they will be doing the ECU remap/update. Fingers crossed, will keep you guys updated.
Old 1st February 2013, 14:45   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
I tried to reproduce the issue a few times, could not get it (again this occured to me only a few times since I have done half clutch only a few times), so, can't say with certainity the issue is gone.
On the changes seen (or it must be placebo effect according to Maruti)
- the clutch adjustment seems to be altered a bit
- The realtime mileage indicator in general seems to be showing higher efficiency (similar road/driving) when compared to previous values.
- the power delivery in 2nd gear seems to be altered (more flattish response).
Probably they have done the software update too, I for specificly asked for the software to be updated to have the remap for the booster.

All three things what you have mentioned (clutch, mileage indicator and 2nd gear) I have also noticed after the software change.
Old 2nd February 2013, 10:34   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post

Probably they have done the software update too, I for specificly asked for the software to be updated to have the remap for the booster.

All three things what you have mentioned (clutch, mileage indicator and 2nd gear) I have also noticed after the software change.
Well, the Maruti guys have feigned ignorance about the update in all interactions with me. Did your MASS/Maruti person acknowledge that there's an ECM update?
Old 3rd February 2013, 02:22   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Well, the Maruti guys have feigned ignorance about the update in all interactions with me. Did your MASS/Maruti person acknowledge that there's an ECM update?
No it was the other way round, I told him to update. And at delivery he was courteous enough to tell me that he has updated.
Old 3rd February 2013, 14:23   #290
BHPian

Quote:

No it was the other way round, I told him to update. And at delivery he was courteous enough to tell me that he has updated.
Maybe it is time I consider changing the MASS?? Which is the MASS you go to? If it's in north Bengaluru, will consider trying the same.
Old 3rd February 2013, 14:38   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing

Maybe it is time I consider changing the MASS?? Which is the MASS you go to? If it's in north Bengaluru, will consider trying the same.
Bimal auto, K R Puram. So far so good. I got free wash coupons too :P.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 11:40   #292

Hello Swift owners/ owners-to-be,

I read through these 20 pages to understand the issue and its history in detail.
So after the ECU update, if I buy a Swift Vxi/Zxi today, will it be free from the soft-braking-at-low-speeds issue? I mean has MSIL included that ECU update as a standard change or are they doing it during servicing on a case basis alone? :/

I was keen on Swift but the braking issue is keeping me away from going ahead with the booking.

I am an amateur driver so choked brakes would give me little confidence in b2b traffic :( Request thoughts from Swift owners/enthusists to help me decide.
Old 14th February 2013, 17:39   #293
Senior - BHPian

It not the ECU, it just the flash file or the software file that is installed. It should be already released in production, if that is the fix.
Old 15th February 2013, 16:31   #294

Quote:
It not the ECU, it just the flash file or the software file that is installed. It should be already released in production, if that is the fix.
alright, it is some s/w update into the motherboard. My worry is whether there is an official word on the same, and whether the solution has found its way onto the assembly line, or are Maruti engineers still analyzing the problem and fiddling the settings during after-sales at dealers' end? The 'should' in your reply is precisely the point of worry.

Any word on Swift's brake issue friends? I found conflicting opinions even on this thread regarding whether the problem is with Vxi/Lxi alone or the Brake-assisted Zxi too! Though official review says Zxi brakes offer 'peace of mind', a few have quoted the s/w update problem, meaning it should be on all variants.
Seniors, clarity pls. :|
Old 2nd March 2013, 13:33   #295

Dear Vaibhavt2012,
I had a similar problem in my 2012 swift vxi, the breaks would harden and a constant dip in the mileage was also observed, took the issue with MASS and they promptly rectified it (after some good straining of my vocal cords though), its been 5 months from then and I haven't had any problems whatsoever.
The only reason they haven't yet made it to open has got to do something with the RTO. I remember reading it somewhere in the forum.
Rgds,
CB
Prime is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 13:25   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Dear humyum and bala80

(2) The Swift, old or new, always came with a 9 inch brake booster. Like I mentioned above, all that MSIL did was to change the servo ratio of the booster. I can say this with confidence because I have been closely involved with the development of these models.

And.
@Viju, How would you rate the Braking system of present day Dzire-VXI, which does not have any ABS, EBD and Brake-assist etc.? Please share your views as the Brakes seem to be the only chink rather a huge problem in my choice of Dzire. At so many place here and elsewhere there is so much written about insufficient braking capabilities of Dzire LXI/VXI trims, though in the same breathe this problem is labelled as "Not a deal breaker", which leaves us in an indecisive state. please help.
Old 24th April 2014, 20:22   #297
BANNED

Hi Everyone,

I own a two year old Dzire ZXi (new shortened version with KB12 engine) and recently I have started facing issues with brake while driving in bumper to bumper traffic. My total running in the car so far is 27500 Kms and majority of time (95%) car has been driven by me.

From past 2-3 months, I have noticed that while driving in bumper to bumper traffic (when AC is on), brake pedal gets hard and braking ability gets reduced. It’s more evident when there is heavy traffic at any signal and car needs to be driven in first / second gear with partial clutch and brake pedal needs to be applied multiple times. At such applications of multiple brake pedal, brakes gets hardened and braking ability is reduced. When car is turned off and brake pedal is pushed continuously, the way brake pedal gets hard, it’s a similar feeling only difference being this time, car engine is still running. If clutch is depressed full, then brake pedal comes to normal behavior in couple of seconds. It’s really a scary experience.

Other than above scenarios, there is no issue with brakes of my car even while driving at 80-90 KM/hr speed. This makes me think that this may not be issue with the warned out break pads or something else.

I would be taking my car to service center shortly (as its approaching 30 K interval in couple of months). But before taking to service advisor, I would like to get views from you guys about possible cause.

Looking forward to responses.

Last edited by GTO : 28th April 2014 at 12:36. Reason: Typos
Old 24th April 2014, 20:58   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit View Post
Hi Everyone,

I own a two year old Dzire ZXi (new shortened version with KB12 engine) and recently I have started facing issues with brake while driving in bumper to bumper traffic. My total running in the car so far is 27500 Kms and majority of time (95%) car has been driven by me.

From past 2-3 months, I have noticed that while driving in bumper to bumper traffic (when AC is on), brake pedal gets hard and braking ability gets reduced. It’s more evident when there is heavy traffic at any signal and car needs to be driven in first / second gear with partial clutch and brake pedal needs to be applied multiple times. At such applications of multiple brake pedal, brakes gets hardened and braking ability is reduced. When car is turned off and brake pedal is pushed continuously, the way brake pedal gets hard, it’s a similar feeling only difference being this time, car engine is still running. If clutch is depressed full, then brake pedal comes to normal behavior in couple of seconds. It’s really a scary experience.

Other than above scenarios, there is no issue with brakes of my car even while driving at 80-90 KM/hr speed. This makes me think that this may not be issue with the warned out break pads or something else.

I would be taking my car to service center shortly (as its approaching 30 K interval in couple of months). But before taking to service advisor, I would like to get views from you guys about possible cause.

Looking forward to responses.
Have you noticed the rpm on the tacho when you experienced this issue? Is it falling below the idle rpm? Since you have a ZXi, it is more likely a worn out part. See if you can check the rpm by trying it in free stretches somewhere. Please let us know after you visit the MASS regarding the wear and tear on the brake pads.

Question to the experts: In an ABS equipped car, will the brakes for all tyres get compromised if the brake pads for one of the wheels is worn out? Will the ABS/EBD module reduce the brake force to other wheels if one wheel is not slowing down sufficiently in order to prevent locking by other wheels?

Last edited by GTO : 28th April 2014 at 12:36. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 24th April 2014, 21:25   #299
BANNED

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 25th April 2014 at 14:36.
F1amit is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th April 2014, 16:40   #300
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit View Post
At such applications of multiple break padal, breaks gets harden and breaking ability is reduced. When car is turned off and break padal is pushed continuously, the way break padal gets hard, it’s a similar feeling only difference being this time, car engine is still running. If clutch is depressed full, then breaks padal comes to normal behavior in couple of seconds. It’s really a scary experience.
Get the brake fluid bled and check if the issue persists or no! As told by BHPian Zenren, check the RPM when this issue is happening and when you are using half-clutch in bumper-to-bumper traffic does the RPM dip below ~900 as that is the idle for petrol engine IIRC. The engine may not be able to refill the reservoir sufficiently for the brake force to get normal. Also check for any leaks and the booster for vacuum retention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Question to the experts: In an ABS equipped car, will the brakes for all tyres get compromised if the brake pads for one of the wheels is worn out?
No it will not compromise the ability of braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Will the ABS/EBD module reduce the brake force to other wheels if one wheel is not slowing down sufficiently in order to prevent locking by other wheels?
The EBD will kick in when it finds that the particular wheel speed is higher than the rest so it will distribute more force to the rest three.

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks