Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2012, 09:04   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Attention: New Maruti Suzuki Swift Brake Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
this is a common problem with all new petrol swifts, dzire & ertiga.
I am going away from the brand. For awareness, the Fiat Punto 1.2l variant suffers from this problem too. Low engine rotation speeds do not build enough brake pressure causing the pedal to go hard at times when in stop and go conditions.

The Fiat Punto 1.2l variant has very few takers and hence you may never hear of this issue.
Old 27th July 2012, 11:46   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post
So I got delivery of my Silver Dzire Vxi on the 18th of July 2012 and this brake issue has happened thrice so far.
While reversing or when going forward?
Keve, I bought a Swift VXI, I got my car in the last week of May and the odo reads 2.2K Kms now, Except for once while reversing down an incline (engine was idling) the brake pedal never went hard. After having read about this issue i didn't panic and I just pressed the pedal harder and it stopped. I never faced this issue while going forward not even in stop and go traffic. I always drive with AC on if that info matters.
Old 27th July 2012, 14:04   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Maruti already has a solution.
Thanks! Do you happen to know what the solution is by any chance?
I have made a list of things to report during the first service (so far this is the only one). I'll check with Maruti and see what they have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
While reversing or when going forward?.
Happened four times so far. All when going forwards, when braking from about 10kmph, stop and go traffic types. Its even more unnerving when the traffic starts to move and suddenly someone in front of you slows down and the brake refuses give any feedback. It does engage, but very slightly and with no feedback or give whatsoever.
Old 27th July 2012, 14:17   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
No prices for guessing where the reporter got data for the article:

Dude for sure it isn't team-bhp. I know the reporter, the forum and also the person who had lodged the complaint with forbes magazine.
MutantX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 14:23   #260
Team-BHP Support

Gentlemen,

Just to clarify manishalive's post, the braking issue in my Swift hasn't been rectified yet. They came, they saw and they said there's nothing wrong.

Again, my car is a diesel whereas the last few pages have reports from Petrol Swift owners. The issues are different. The brake system designs are different.

There's no vacuum assisted brakes in a Diesel because there is no vacuum assisted booster in a Diesel. Petrol car brake boosters derive vacuum from the intake manifold of the engine and that's where you get your braking efficiency from.

Quote:
Dude for sure it isn't team-bhp. I know the reporter, the forum and also the person who had lodged the complaint with forbes magazine.
Which other forum is this reported on? Would love to see.

Thanks.

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th July 2012 at 14:42.
Old 27th July 2012, 14:30   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post
Thanks! Do you happen to know what the solution is by any chance?
The solution is to either do not put your foot on the clutch pedal and if need be depress the clutch pedal completly. This way you will never face the issue .

Now many will jump upon me. But let say one thing.

This really resolves the issue, and why we need to practice this cause by this way we will save fellow road users and also our car from damage. And under no case will Maruti be liable for the damage, so better we follow. (I know this because I work in a product support field).

Seconldy, as per updates given to me Maruti is working in the issue and once resolved all will be benifiting from this.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 14:56   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The solution is to either do not put your foot on the clutch pedal and if need be depress the clutch pedal completly. This way you will never face the issue .
Can you explain the solution in more detail please?

Quote:
Seconldy, as per updates given to me Maruti is working in the issue and once resolved all will be benifiting from this.
Updates from where!? Do you know any insider in Maruti?

As much as I know Maruti is yet to acknowledge the weak brakes in the Swift/Dzire!
Old 27th July 2012, 16:12   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Which other forum is this reported on? Would love to see.

Thanks.
You are right that the diesels dont have this problem as the Ds have a separate vacuum chamber that produces sufficient vacuum to assist the brake booster. In petrol, engine is responsible to produce this vacuum. At lower rpm, since the vacuum produced isnt sufficient, the brakes becomes hard. This is the explanation that maruti technical support team had given me.

I wanted them to give this in writing which they refused. Maruti is just ignoring my complaints. g e a r h e a d s.i n (remove spaces) which was sole responsible to propagate this issue. Mr. Sibiraj from Cochin along with editors of cartoq.com had helped to publish this problem with forbes.

Braking problems in the new Swift? | Cartoq - Honest Car Advice

Kudos to cartoq and GH
MutantX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 16:56   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wanted them to give this in writing which they refused. Maruti is just ignoring my complaints. g e a r h e a d s.i n (remove spaces) which was sole responsible to propagate this issue. Mr. Sibiraj from Cochin along with editors of cartoq.com had helped to publish this problem with forbes.

Braking problems in the new Swift? | Cartoq - Honest Car Advice

Kudos to cartoq and GH
Cartoq's reporting date is May 22, 2012. moralfibre started this thread on Oct 11, 2011. I didn't bother checking the GH posting date.

Just saying....

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 17:19   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The solution is to either do not put your foot on the clutch pedal and if need be depress the clutch pedal completely. This way you will never face the issue

Now many will jump upon me. But let say one thing.

This really resolves the issue, and why we need to practice this cause by this way we will save fellow road users and also our car from damage. And under no case will Maruti be liable for the damage, so better we follow. (I know this because I work in a product support field).
Similar technique has been shared earlier in post#29 by 'phamilyman'.
Old 27th July 2012, 17:21   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Cartoq's reporting date is May 22, 2012. moralfibre started this thread on Oct 11, 2011. I didn't bother checking the GH posting date.

Just saying....

Cheers,
Vikram
you have to understand that these are two separate issues with braking. What moralfibre has is different when compared to the issue that petrol cars have. Posting dates arent really important, what is important is the impact. Maruti has remained to be arrogant with regard to this issue and most magazine which are just puppets paid by these autocompanies didnt want to publish this news. Forbes proved otherwise and thanks to online communities for playing vital role in carrying forward this issue.
MutantX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 17:22   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There's no vacuum assisted brakes in a Diesel because there is no vacuum assisted booster in a Diesel.
There is vacuum assisted brake in the Swift Diesel. There is no vacuum in the intake manifold but the vacuum is generated by a vacuum pump. This pump is either a part of the alternator or separate and driven electrically or from the engine.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 17:26   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is vacuum assisted brake in the Swift Diesel. There is no vacuum in the intake manifold but the vacuum is generated by a vacuum pump. This pump is either a part of the alternator or separate and driven electrically or from the engine.
As they say, you learn something new everyday. Thanks Sankar!
Old 27th July 2012, 21:48   #269
BHPian

Quote:
While reversing or when going forward?
Keve, I bought a Swift VXI, I got my car in the last week of May and the odo reads 2.2K Kms now, Except for once while reversing down an incline (engine was idling) the brake pedal never went hard. After having read about this issue i didn't panic and I just pressed the pedal harder and it stopped. I never faced this issue while going forward not even in stop and go traffic. I always drive with AC on if that info matters.
@Sankar

This issue happens at idle level rpms and clutch not completely depressed. Remember you mentioning about how the air intake manifolds are different between the earlier gen and the new gen swift and you tweaking it a bit to get better mileage. It is curious to note that the issue on the break is on the new swift while the old one did not have an issue. Have you noticed the difference in breaking on an incline (half clutch at idle rpms) between the new set up?
Old 27th July 2012, 22:11   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
@Sankar

This issue happens at idle level rpms and clutch not completely depressed. Remember you mentioning about how the air intake manifolds are different between the earlier gen and the new gen swift and you tweaking it a bit to get better mileage. It is curious to note that the issue on the break is on the new swift while the old one did not have an issue. Have you noticed the difference in breaking on an incline (half clutch at idle rpms) between the new set up?
Hi Sridhar, two things related to intake that is different between the older K and the new VVT is 1) the VVT technology and 2) the airbox design. I believe if there is one thing between these two that could influence the lack of vacuum compared to older K then it has to be the VVT tech.

I have a Cousin with a 2010 model K Swift and he drives my car regularly almost as much as i do. He has driven my car on the highway and inside the city but he too hasn't faced this brake going hard problem in my car. If he did he will tell me (or i will know since i'm in the passenger seat) since i've told him about this suspect issue in the new Swift.

If this brake issue affected me as much as it affected others on this forum i would definitely say it did. I won't keep silent. But the truth is that so far it hasn't affected me in my regular drives, or few others who drove my car. Reason could be the difference in driving style - i half clutch when i crawl - or some thing else. While taking reverse i'm cautious since i faced it once and i admit that it happened to me once while in reverse.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks