Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2024, 22:25   #40951
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
A BMTC driver rams into multiple vehicles before coming to a stop.

https://www.ndtv.com/bangalore-news/...njured-6326817
Bizzare! Hands on the wheel as if in full control, no rapid movements or swerving to avoid hitting any vehicle, to top it all the footage started out with the most gentle (crawling) of speeds befitting the Hebbal flyover!

The sheer number of vehicles and people impacted by the crash is mind numbing. I am bracing for a scapegoat of the likes of brake/system malfunction in the investigation
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 23:08   #40952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
However, at the time the accident happens, it looks like he did not move his feet back to pressing the brakes.
Yes, that’s what the conductor also seems to
be tellling the driver. 🙂

What an unfortunate time for all those victims.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 12:10   #40953
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this accident reel on instagram -
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C-p9H..._web_copy_link
Old 15th August 2024, 17:01   #40954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
I don't know if this helps. I have cultivated the habit of keeping the car in the reverse order, so that when I start to leave later, I don't have to take a reverse, but just drive away. I have this habit since decades and it helps. Further I have blind spot mirrors on all my vehicles for situations like these.
+1 to this. Not looking to apportion blame or responsibility. The parents loss is indescribable. I would react with empathy here. Calling out responsibility does not serve any purpose in my opinion and would only add to the guilt.

Backing up into parking spots and having a passenger outside before pulling out are only steps we can take to mitigate the risk as drivers.
dingolphie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 15:17   #40955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream1188 View Post
Bangalore Hebbal Flyover incident. Longer video of the same, clearly the driver did not apply brakes.
The conductor in fact mentions that you are not on the brakes right after they come to a halt.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=lTjFjubhO_k
I'm going through the comments and found this

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-yt_comment.jpg

Just realised that "Team BHP" logo covered the comment so pasting below.

@JacobDavid-hh2bf
2 days ago (edited)
It is a Auto gear. His left leg is idle it should be on the brake pedal instead.

Last edited by anilsurya1985 : 16th August 2024 at 15:19.
anilsurya1985 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 16:18   #40956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilsurya1985 View Post

Attachment 2642510

It is a Auto gear. His left leg is idle it should be on the brake pedal instead.
The other day, I was test driving an Automatic Mahindra 3XO and I offered a piece of advice to the service advisor who bought the car to my residence.

" In an automatic car, your idle left leg is never used. Place it on the dead pedal.

Place your right leg right in front of the brake pedal.

So, technically if you simply pressed your foot straight, you will press the brake. This is your default foot position.

Left foot on the dead pedal & right foot, right in front of the brake pedal.

When you want to press the accelerator pedal (gas pedal), arch your feet to the accelerator pedal, without moving the heel of your right foot. Now your right foot heel is just in front of the brake pedal and the right foot upper section is angled and pressing the accelerator pedal.

So, when you have to brake, you just ease your foot from accelerator pedal and just press down straight, on the brake pedal.

It is instinctive, because when you panic or don't think or in a hurry, then the foot presses forward instead of sideways and you invariably press the brake pedal.

Contrasting to this, if your foot is placed in front of accelerator pedal, in panic model, you don't shift your foot over to brake pedal but simply press down which in this case will be the accelerator pedal and then boom, bam oh no!

Why use only one foot and not both feet: Well, when you are accelerating or moving you are not braking and when you are braking you are not pressing the accelerator. You only do one of these in a given time and situation and both are not done simultaneously.
So only one foot is used instead of both to avoid any confusion.

Last edited by ashkamath : 16th August 2024 at 16:26.
ashkamath is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 18:11   #40957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
" In an automatic car, your idle left leg is never used. Place it on the dead pedal.
I would go further than this, for those who are unused to AT, or those that drive AT and MT regularly and may get confused:-

At first, when driving AT, keep your left foot tucked in towards the seat. If you keep it on the dead pedal (assuming there is one) then that's probably where you keep it when driving MT (It is absolutely wrong to keep it on the clutch and that will cause wear) and confusion is possible. If your foot is tucked in, you cannot use it on a pedal without actually thinking about it.

My only pedal confusion was putting my foot on the "clutch" in an AT car, thus braking sharply, which did not please the guy behind me. Granted, this was on one of my first alone trips after passing my UK test --- but I have done the tucked-in thing ever since.

When one has had an AT long enough, especially if never driving MT, one can do whatever is comfortable with that leg.

I don't remember who to credit for the tucked-in advice, but I know that I was taught or read it. And I found it works perfectly. Now, I have not driven an AT car for nearly twenty years, and I would absolutely use it for a week or four.

Last edited by Omkar : 16th August 2024 at 23:53. Reason: As requested
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks