Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-642.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 2557433)
Seat belts can cause sever injury to children. Never use a seat belt on a small child.

Children need to be in an age/weight appropriate car seat.

Unfortunately buses and public transport do not provide such a system.
But even in our please remember that seatbelts carry a risk of significant injury for children.

I agree.School kids cannot be relied upon to properly use seat belts .Even in cars,it is not safe to let kids travel without child seats ,as the regular shoulder belt can hurt the kids neck .

As we need specially designed seats for smaller kids,it may not be economically feasible to hae buses with such seats for kids of different age groups .

But in buses ,we are talking about having lap belts like in aircrafts.These may not protect if the bus goes over a land mine ,but these can minimize damages for sure by reducing ejections from the bus .

Couple of Weeks back at Kodambakkam, Chennai

Lucky escape I guess, brings to mind the need for safety precautions at petrol bunks that have their pumps close to the road.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0268.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0269.jpg

There was an accident yesterday on ECR near Kalpakkam. After the treatment a family of Bengalis visited Pondicherry and on return their hired vehicle collided head along with a bus.3 spot dead and other elders seriously injured. One 6 years old baby was unhurt and kept in the police station. Feel sad on the mental agony of the kid and thank god gor not giving any pain and life.

A KSRTC bus rammed into a roadside tree near Birur, 5 dead :eek:

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_disp.asp?n_id=120125

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc.jpg

News and pics credit: daijiworld

Quote:

Originally Posted by alstonlobo (Post 2558031)

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_disp.asp?n_id=120125

Attachment 832503

News and pics credit: daijiworld

a tree did that to the bus :Shockked: must have been travelling at good speed to get damaged like that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by alstonlobo (Post 2558031)

man! That thing gives me creeps! I travel in KSRTC bus everyday to work, seen many fatal accidents, but this one takes the cake. RIP

The impact on cars and buses have different results. Also, the height matters. I dont know of any school bus in any country having seat belts. However, the seats in front are designed to absorb the impact if a child were to hit it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronH4WK (Post 2558069)
a tree did that to the bus :Shockked: must have been travelling at good speed to get damaged like that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by doxinboy (Post 2558131)
man! That thing gives me creeps! I travel in KSRTC bus everyday to work, seen many fatal accidents, but this one takes the cake. RIP

Strange, something is wrong witht he hyperlink, took me to another story.

Here is the right one again: Chikmagalur: Five Dead, 29 Injured in KSRTC Bus Accident

Quote:

Originally Posted by srishiva (Post 2558142)
The impact on cars and buses have different results. Also, the height matters. I dont know of any school bus in any country having seat belts. However, the seats in front are designed to absorb the impact if a child were to hit it.

We are talking about fatalities due to ejections.Most casualties in bus accidents are when the bus rolls over and when passengers are thrown out .Seat belts might help reduce this for sure !

I have trying to read on why exactly dont we see seat belts .Most websites mention cost as the factor .

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedsatya
But in buses ,we are talking about having lap belts like in aircrafts.These may not protect if the bus goes over a land mine ,but these can minimize damages for sure by reducing ejections from the bus .

Yes, this kind of restraint is what I had in mind for kids in buses. Something that would restrain them if the bus suddenly brakes, for instance.

BTW, how is it in school-buses in say US/EU ? How are small kids safely transported ? What restraint system is used ?

P.S.: My query was/is specifically about bus-travel, not kids belted-up in cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronH4WK (Post 2558069)

Tree = large, solid object.

Mind you, I imagine the tree would have suffered some damage too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremeBaleno (Post 2558208)
Yes, this kind of restraint is what I had in mind for kids in buses. Something that would restrain them if the bus suddenly brakes, for instance.

BTW, how is it in school-buses in say US/EU ? How are small kids safely transported ? What restraint system is used ?

P.S.: My query was/is specifically about bus-travel, not kids belted-up in cars.

Dunno about school buses ,but most intercity buses in the UK had seat belts for all passengers in them .And I did notice most passengers wearing seat belts .

BTW found this UK Bus Crash: Saved By Seat Belts. | George Hatcher's Bus, Train, Trolley, Ship & Pipeline

Found this BMW X1 on the way home near bowenpally junction. reason is not known. Looks like overtaking gone wrong or he tried to avoid a wrong overtake from the other side. No injuries though were being told. Both the occupants walked out safe!:deadhorse

There was an accident today at about 1.30 pm at Kochi in the Seaport-Airport Road near Kakkanad. It was just in front of the sunrise hospital. It is understood that an innova was parked in front of the sunrise hospital. The driver (owner ?) was not there in the vehicle. A petrol tanker rammed into the innova. Innova fell to the road side field, which was at low level. Tanker lorry also fell upside down over the innova. The driver of the lorry must have got injured seriously. The innova was a brand new one - It was only one month old !!! Luckily, nobody was there inside the innova at the time of accident.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mohanan0047.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mohanan0048.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mohanan0049.jpg

When will these bus drivers ever learn? :Frustrati

Udupi: Reckless Driving – Miraculous Escape for 40 Passengers

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc.jpg

Image and news credit: daijiworld