Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2736.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi (Post 5829856)
Around 15 vehicles involved in a big accident on Hosur or Hosur road, looks like few vehicles crushed and few are damaged. Looks like visibility conditions are decent, ie no fog and no rain. So, I wonder why it happened. I couldn't find dashcam videos yet. Please ignore that useless background music, generally added by so called "news" channels.

Looks like one of the truck lost control/brakes. There are couple of small ghat sections between Hosur and Krishnagiri and it looks like one of those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbohead (Post 5829891)

I don't think it's a rash overtake- if you know your vehicle and the roads around you, it's a pretty good move. I don't think the Octavia was hindered and neither was oncoming road traffic which is exactly what I would describe a good overtake. Plus OP had plenty of time to assess traffic ahead to make such a move.

I agree. OP is not at fault as has been projected by so many. It was a fast overtake, but not a risky or rash one and a very practical one for our road conditions. When we need to overtake in such road conditions, it always has to be a quick one after taking into account the surrounding road/traffic conditions along with an exit plan. The bikers are at complete fault here and are responsible for their own actions and the end result.

There are too many 'holier than thou' mates on the forum who might have overtaken in similar condition a number of times, but who will come out to bash the OP due to this misconception about themselves.

OT: Also, there would be many who would overtake a 60 kmph car with own speed of 61-k2 kmph and would claim it to be a safe overtaking, while blocking all the traffic behind. To any other vehicle following him/her, it becomes 'a tortoise overtaking a tortoise' torture.

I don't like to post anything on any controversial issue on the forum for fear of being bashed, but needed to come in support of the OP as he is being bashed unnecessarily left and right.

On blue car and bike-

Blue car- 0% fault
Bike- 100% fault

Even beyond expecting the unexpected can anyone expect the bike from wherever he came.

Oh, look at how the blue car driver is being bashed up and being given lessons on safe driving just because the bikers were driving on the wrong side and ran into an unexpected traffic situation. The blue car overtook the Skoda fast and safe.

There was no reason for the bikers to be driving against oncoming traffic and that too at the speed they were riding.

Driving against traffic is rampant in Bangalore.

Interesting, my post has blown up on the weekend with members bashing and finding more fault in my driving than that of the biker. I wouldn't mind constructive criticism but some of these posts are simply unwarranted judging of my driving behavior based on a short clip.

To clarify, I did mention that I was in a little hurry but that didn't mean I was driving fast or rash. To put more context leading to that overtake, I was trailing that Skoda for a good distance already and he/she was slowing down a lot and then accelerating hard right after which did not allow me to overtake as my car couldn't accelerate harder than his/her car. So the only opportunity for me to overtake was when the Skoda slows down and I saw a safe window which occurred at the @0.22 sec mark. And it wasn't a speed breaker, it was a bad patch of road hence I did take a little wider approach to avoid getting unsettled from that patch of road. Also I did notice the pick-up truck coming on the opposite lane hence I wanted to merge back into my lane well in advance but before the Skoda starts accelerating hard again after going slow over that bad patch. Those who have driven on that road know that patch very well and most road user do go around that patch the same way I did (provided the opposite lane traffic allows for it). I never blamed the Skoda either, I would've also drove the same way if I was in that Skoda. The blue bike behind Skoda and my car had sufficient gap and if you observe closely he moved left to allow me to go ahead. And that road is not new to me, I drive on those roads frequently during all times of day, so it was not an new/unknown patch where I did an unknown maneuver. After overtaking the Skoda I drove in my usual pace which is neither rash nor too fast.

To those who live and drive in congested cities in India, I am 100% sure that you would've done such overtakes a lot of times because sometimes there's no other way to overtake. Would love to see if anyone can claim that they have never overtaken in a hurry or at speed or have done strange overtakes to avoid bad patches of road. I never claimed that I drive/drove perfectly or anything, what I wanted to show was how unexpected our roads can be. Again, I was in a hurry to get home doesn't mean I was driving rash or negligently, so please stop judging based on that statement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funny (Post 5830051)
To put more context leading to that overtake, I was trailing that Skoda for a good distance already and he/she was slowing down a lot and then accelerating hard right after which did not allow me to overtake as my car couldn't accelerate harder than his/her car.

Also I did notice the pick-up truck coming on the opposite lane hence I wanted to merge back into my lane well in advance but before the Skoda starts accelerating hard again after going slow over that bad patch.

I'm not commenting on biker vs your driving - much has been said on it already. In fact I feel members should move on from it now instead of badgering the OP beyond a point.

On a related and distinct note though, coming to the Skoda and taking away from the above statements, I wish if people can see a vehicle wants to drive even slightly faster than you, then they should actively decelerate and facilitate an overtake in the shortest and easiest possible way, rather than force the tailing vehicle to drive faster than necessary just to complete the move and then brake hard etc. This is particularly true of bad 2 lane roads.

Just respect the fact that someone wants to go a little faster than you, slow down, even move a bit to the side and let them pass more comfortably. From what you have described above, this should have been better approach from Skoda driver. Again, not commenting on biker and your move per se at all. Too much written on that already.

Quote:

I never blamed the Skoda either, I would've also drove the same way if I was in that Skoda.
I hope not, if you know what I mean by what I've written above. Instead, perhaps use this mental note of how you felt with the Skoda's driving and instead try and facilitate the overtaking vehicle if you are in his situation.

Quote:

Interesting, ...so please stop judging based on that statement.

Quite agree with you. Just because you had a rear dashcam and made the footage available, the others have put the blame on you.

Here is what I know and understand:
1. It is safe to overtake by going to the opposite lane when there is sufficient distance between you and oncoming vehicle (unless there is the continuous white line) Which is there in this case.

2. You should look into the rear mirror just to be safe. But here, there was nothing in your lane. So even IRVM would barely would have given a glimpse of him.

3. The biker WAS in the wrong lane through this entire time. Which is absolutely wrong. You have nothing to do with that. You cannot check what's coming from the opposite lane in the wrong direction, that too with a divider in between. I guess some might have superhuman vision here.

4. Imagine if you wanted to take a U-turn there and go back, you would anyway have checked the opposite lane's oncoming traffic only initially atleast, until the point you would have taken the turn. Even in that case the biker would have anyway crashed into you till the time it would have taken you to even glance in that direction while turning.

5. The only part I think where you should not have overtaken is that it looks like it's the space for taking a U-turn and not for overtaking. Not entirely sure about that since it merges into a single road ahead.

Yes, defensive driving and all that is 100% correct. But here it's an accident which is an accident, that's why it's called that.

I wonder if people are looking 'back in the opposite lane' *while* overtaking all the time to avoid some fool coming at full speed in the wrong direction. If yes, then Kudos!

The cop's behaviour is so hilarious! The very people who are supposed to enforce traffic rules are acting nonchalantly. This is a prime reason why so many two wheeler riders drive the way they do in Bangalore. The traffic cops are just mute witnesses

Quote:

Interesting, my post has blown up on the weekend with members bashing and finding more fault in my driving than that of the biker. I wouldn't mind constructive criticism but some of these posts are simply unwarranted judging of my driving behavior based on a short clip.

To clarify, I did mention that I was in a little hurry but that didn't mean I was driving fast or rash.

To those who live and drive in congested cities in India, I am 100% sure that you would've done such overtakes a lot of times because sometimes there's no other way to overtake.

The right (by the book) option is to brake; when the vehicle in front of you brakes; especially when you have sufficient space; not speed up and cross over into the incoming lane on an immediate basis (with <2sec between 0.20 and 0.22). Even if those bikers were in the right lane, they wouldn't have any time for reaction but what happened.

If you were in a developed nation where rules are enforced with penalty, the biker would have got a list of fines but you also would have been fined on changing lanes rashly and being part of the reason to cause an accident. I doubt you would have used your indicators to signal the lane shift. Even if you did; your lane shift indicator would have been for maximum one second; hardly of any use.

Folks are commenting on your driving because your original post assumes the biker is completely at fault and you aren't; and it seems you came here for validation. Take it as constructive feedback and please do the right thing next time.

Reg. the blue car issue, I'm a biker so you can normally expect some biker bias, so be ready for it..

Its the bike rider's fault entirely. There, I said it, against the grain. ;)

Excessive speed by bike riders, causing their tyre grip levels to fall short caused this, and being on wrong side crushed their own moving space. Blue car's overtake was definitely a 'catalyst', not a mistake or reason in itself. The fact is, as long as there's no double yellow line in the middle of the road, you're allowed to overtake cautiously, going a little in the wrong lane too.

Am I wrong here? I'm right, right? An indicator would be helpful while overtaking out of lane, but its not clear if it was on or off, so I'll ignore that.

And, you're never responsible for people behind you, you can't see them, they can see you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funny (Post 5828120)
TL;DR: Two helmet-less and brain-less rider had a fall trying to overtake from the wrong side of the divider. Also get a dual dashcam if you haven't yet!

However, using words like "helmetless" and "brainless" implies immaturity or a general misunderstanding of the situation. Most of these young kids don't get positive exposure at their homes, and they're never taught good habits like using helmets and following rules. To make matters worse, we the biker-car community too avoids them. Why? Not many of them will choose road rage.

Specially when someone crashes, please get down and talk to them in a helpful tone, and end the talk by giving them good advice, politely at it. This is the best situation to teach someone, right when they crashed.