Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2732.html)

https://youtube.com/shorts/6WPnvzhU-...DHui2hso4BN7-Z

This could have been a catastrophic accident :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueDreamer (Post 5824802)
18 wheeler trailer driven by a 22 year old with over Rs 10800 in pending traffic violation challans hit an auto waiting at a signal this morning around 7:45 AM flouting city entry timings. The impact pushed the auto under a public transport bus. A crane had to be called in to lift the bus and pull out the auto and the injured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApH0VzId88o

On the face of it, looks like complete mistake of the young truck driver. But the actual events are a bit different. The GPS data shows no over speeding (20-25 speed). The driver holds a valid license for heavy vehicle, and has been defensive driving trained for over a month. The pending challans are all related to no entry and parking. Due to no entry restrictions, truck is parked nearby, thereby getting wrong parking challans.

Drivers account - Bus braked all of a sudden, and the auto meanwhile squeezed in between the two heavy vehicles, giving little time for the truck to brake. Now who is right, can only be decided based on video footage!

On a side note- with increasing traffic, even cities are not safe. An MG comet or Bajaj Qute or an espresso would have mostly had the same fate. A few months back, I almost booked a comet and backed out due to this reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboTorque (Post 5824792)
My friend’s father met with an accident on Mysuru Outer Ring Road. He was riding a scooter without a helmet around 9.30 PM and a speedy car hit him from behind on a straight road. He was just 500m away from his home.

When I asked him why he did not wear the helmet, he said he was going to a nearby shop (around 500m away) hence he did not wear it.

I created this post to request everyone to wear a helmet even if you are just going to a nearby shop.

I have maintained earlier in this thread that accidents tend to happen closer to home, generally a km or two radius from home. This is because the driver/rider is extremely familiar with the road and hence drops guard, is less vigilant and aware, disregard safety by not wearing the helmet or seatbelt (in car) for running a short errand etc

On unknown roads, one tends to be aware and vigilant as the mind is not familiar with the road and hence cannot predetermine the potential risk factors and thus will be on guard. However on known, familiar roads close to home, the mind is already aware of the potential risks and dangers (as one has traversed that road a hundred time) and having safely traversed hundreds of time, discounts any risk actually occuring and that lands one into trouble.

So, when you are closer to home, be more vigilant, wear your helmet/ fasten the seat belt and ride / drive safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashkamath (Post 5825136)
I have maintained earlier in this thread that accidents tend to happen closer to home,

So, when you are closer to home, be more vigilant, wear your helmet/ fasten the seat belt and ride / drive safe.

Fully agree with this. One more thing that I've noticed id that when one is coming back from long drives and have been driving on national highways, it takes time to come out of fast driving mode even when we enter our city/town limits. We continue drving fast like on highways and also when we are nearer to home want to reach our destination asap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioholic (Post 5822940)
The accident being discussed in this needs parking sensors with auto braking for obstacles. That will trigger when the speed of the car is less than 10kmph and brake the car to a halt when an obstacle appears in the immediate surroundings of the car. The camera/radar based system wont be of much use here.

I stand corrected. May be its the parking sensors and not ADAS. But in FL Seltos, as soon as the sensor detects a moving or stationary object, it beeps and the camera lights up. So not only does one have an audio alert but also a visual to look at. I thought this kind of setup was part of the ADAS suite and reported as such. Isn't the AEB/FCA etc. part of ADAS?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTX+ (Post 5825854)
I thought this kind of setup was part of the ADAS suite and reported as such. Isn't the AEB/FCA etc. part of ADAS?

Yes, Emergency braking scenarios comes under the 'Collision intervention' category of ADAS.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...logy-adas.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDiablo (Post 5825472)
it takes time to come out of fast driving mode even when we enter our city/town limits. We continue drving fast like on highways and also when we are nearer to home want to reach our destination asap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashkamath (Post 5825136)
I have maintained earlier in this thread that accidents tend to happen closer to home, generally a km or two radius from home.

Both of your observations are spot on. I learned about this during my preparation for the Swedish license theory test, and it’s backed by data.

Regarding driving fast, this phenomenon is known as “speed blindness.” During my driving test, the instructor took me through 60-40-30 speed zones immediately after exiting the motorway to check this.

Happened on the Bangalore E-City elevated flyover yesterday evening.

https://x.com/debnath4u/status/1825517532897321402

Quote:

Originally Posted by bejoy (Post 5826181)

https://x.com/debnath4u/status/1825517532897321402

A good reason why one should not stop his bike/car on a bridge/flyover.

The biker appears to be taking a phone call and parked extremely left, but that wasn't enough as there's no wriggle room for any other vehicles in that confined area.

If it wasn't a bridge/flyover, probably the biker would have been further away from the road and probably everyone would have been safe and the accident could have been averted.

I have noticed that every bridge, every flyover has repeated signboards Not to overtake, Not to stop/ park, Not to speed while on the bridge.
The reason being, during emergency, there is no space around to accomodate any unforeseen vehicular movement/traffic. Even a vehicle breakdown on a bridge disrupt the free flow of vehicle movement. As I said, there's no wriggle room on the bridge.

That's why the bridges / flyovers that have 2 way traffic have single or double continuous Yellow Line indicating No Overtaking or rather No crossing the line to other opposite lane.

I make it a habit, never to overtake on a bridge, irrespective of how slow and lethargic the vehicle ahead of me is moving (normally a loaded truck or a bus). I Keep patience and stay safe on the bridge.

Many riders/drivers are impatient and jump lane on these narrow bridges and that's unsafe and uncalled for. Afterall it's a matter of a minute or two to cross the bridge safely, why take unnecessary risks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashkamath (Post 5826207)
The biker appears to be taking a phone call and parked extremely left, but that wasn't enough as there's no wriggle room for any other vehicles in that confined area.

I don’t think it was that, the Yulu bike is just incredibly slow (by design) that it appears to have stopped when the car with dashcam passes.

Everything in this video is wrong.

Yulu should have no business on a flyover. The E-City flyover is meant to be a free flowing ROB to cut across E-City and arrive at Silk Board. So the traffic here should not encounter any slow moving vehicles.

The less that’s said about Ambulance driver the better. Just because you’re an emergency vehicle doesn’t give you a pass to drive like a hooligan. Has been said many times on this forum and it never gets old.

The two cars driving like absolute buffoons. A behaviour I have seen far too often on highways especially. Two vehicles just go shoulder to shoulder like “Ye dosti” occupying both lanes. If you don’t intend to overtake a vehicle (and can’t accomplish that under 2-3 seconds) then just trail behind the vehicle in front by leaving a 3 second gap. Leaving this gap allows more braking time but also allows other vehicles to pass through. Going side by side inadvertently blocks any high speed vehicle and creates a dangerous situation.

It also appears like the black car just stopped without any rhyme or reason. Probably taught that way or not taught well. In any case, it is absolute lack of spatial awareness, emergency responding and just basic common sense. Just because an Ambulance is coming from behind doesn’t mean you abandon all rules and just stop the vehicle. You are of no help in that situation. You must actively try to create a space for the vehicle to pass and you get enough time to do this actually (because you actually can hear an ambulance from very far).

Just a wonderful example of many things that can go wrong on our roads happening together.

I wonder what happened to whoever that was in emergency and hope the buffoonery on our roads didn’t cost them much.

PS: “You” on this post is just meant to be general. Typing this on phone, please excuse errors and lack of brevity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krishnakumar (Post 5826214)
I don’t think it was that, the Yulu bike is just incredibly slow (by design) that it appears to have stopped when the car with dashcam passes.

Just a wonderful example of many things that can go wrong on our roads happening together.

Thanks. Everything said in this post is absolutely correct in my view. So many simple don'ts if ignored can result in catastrophic situation like this.

Every time I've been on e-city flyover I have seen situations like all the above and few more that can cause major accidents - slow bikes and even cars, drivers/riders on phone, fast cars / buses/ ambulances driving like crazy as if they own the road, slow and lethargic overtaking maneuvers, wide vehicles trying to overtake in between a parallel moving bike and another vehicle.

People don't understand that the layout of this flyover doesn't give room for any error in judgement.

Saddest part is that we will still not learn even after seeing this video.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krishnakumar (Post 5826214)

Yulu should have no business on a flyover.

I stand corrected for my statement about the parked two wheeler. I viewed the video very carefully and yes, the two wheeler was moving in the extreme left albeit very slowly.

I live in Goa and we don't have Yulu bikes here. Atleast I haven't seen them much around. Haven't heard of this bike brand too here. Only Ola & Ather seem to have showrooms here.

Here in Goa, 2 wheelers are not permitted on the newly constructed ATAL SETU in Panaji as the older 2 bridges serve that purpose. 2 wheelers on Atal Setu are caught and penalized at regular frequency here by the police who wait at both end exit ramps.

Though I got the context totally wrong and I am sorry and apologise for my mistake (the Yulu bike really looked stationary to me in my cursory glance), the Not Overtaking, Not stopping, Not crossing the yellow line on a bridge is something that every driver/rider should consider & follow, when on a bridge. But then I am digressing from the context again.

Your analysis is brilliant. Kudos to that :thumbs up

The E-City flyover is downright dangerous for 2 wheelers. Every time I go by that road, I get to see a few instances where bikers get lucky an miss getting into an accident.

In some cases the bikers are riding rashly (all variants of rash riding like zig-zagging, going at 30kmph in the middle of the fast lane, overtaking (left right and center) with a few inches margin. In the others, the cars/buses are rashly driven, like getting on to the left lane and squeezing out the 2 wheeler on to the sidewalls.

This is not to say the cars and buses are better driven, just that the consequence of a mishap will be deadly on a 2 wheeler. Given the speeds & traffic density on that road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashkamath (Post 5826236)
Though I got the context totally wrong and I am sorry and apologise for my mistake (the Yulu bike really looked stationary to me in my cursory glance), the Not Overtaking, Not stopping, Not crossing the yellow line on a bridge is something that every driver/rider should consider & follow, when on a bridge. But then I am digressing from the context again.

No need to apologize at all :) Everything you said in your post is still relevant!

I knew Yulu isn’t that common, hence I thought it was relevant to clarify for the benefit of all. For a long time it was a Bangalore only thing (as it is the hotbed for any beta testing) but now it has started making its way to a few big cities (I know they have set up now in Mumbai).

Quote:

Originally Posted by bejoy (Post 5826181)

As summarized above, we should avoid driving parallel to other vehicles as it blocks the lanes and faster traffic cannot overtake us and starts to tailgate.
We should always keep our sides free to reduce such risks.