Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2731.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by autobahnjpr (Post 5822561)
A BMTC driver rams into multiple vehicles before coming to a stop.

https://www.ndtv.com/bangalore-news/...njured-6326817

Bizzare! Hands on the wheel as if in full control, no rapid movements or swerving to avoid hitting any vehicle, to top it all the footage started out with the most gentle (crawling) of speeds befitting the Hebbal flyover!

The sheer number of vehicles and people impacted by the crash is mind numbing. I am bracing for a scapegoat of the likes of brake/system malfunction in the investigation

Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71 (Post 5822927)
However, at the time the accident happens, it looks like he did not move his feet back to pressing the brakes.

Yes, that’s what the conductor also seems to
be tellling the driver. 🙂

What an unfortunate time for all those victims.

Came across this accident reel on instagram -
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C-p9H..._web_copy_link

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashkamath (Post 5822520)
I don't know if this helps. I have cultivated the habit of keeping the car in the reverse order, so that when I start to leave later, I don't have to take a reverse, but just drive away. I have this habit since decades and it helps. Further I have blind spot mirrors on all my vehicles for situations like these.

+1 to this. Not looking to apportion blame or responsibility. The parents loss is indescribable. I would react with empathy here. Calling out responsibility does not serve any purpose in my opinion and would only add to the guilt.

Backing up into parking spots and having a passenger outside before pulling out are only steps we can take to mitigate the risk as drivers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starscream1188 (Post 5822129)
Bangalore Hebbal Flyover incident. Longer video of the same, clearly the driver did not apply brakes.
The conductor in fact mentions that you are not on the brakes right after they come to a halt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTjFjubhO_k

I'm going through the comments and found this :)

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-yt_comment.jpg

Just realised that "Team BHP" logo covered the comment so pasting below.

@JacobDavid-hh2bf
2 days ago (edited)
It is a Auto gear. His left leg is idle it should be on the brake pedal instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anilsurya1985 (Post 5824004)

Attachment 2642510

It is a Auto gear. His left leg is idle it should be on the brake pedal instead.

The other day, I was test driving an Automatic Mahindra 3XO and I offered a piece of advice to the service advisor who bought the car to my residence.

" In an automatic car, your idle left leg is never used. Place it on the dead pedal.

Place your right leg right in front of the brake pedal.

So, technically if you simply pressed your foot straight, you will press the brake. This is your default foot position.

Left foot on the dead pedal & right foot, right in front of the brake pedal.

When you want to press the accelerator pedal (gas pedal), arch your feet to the accelerator pedal, without moving the heel of your right foot. Now your right foot heel is just in front of the brake pedal and the right foot upper section is angled and pressing the accelerator pedal.

So, when you have to brake, you just ease your foot from accelerator pedal and just press down straight, on the brake pedal.

It is instinctive, because when you panic or don't think or in a hurry, then the foot presses forward instead of sideways and you invariably press the brake pedal.

Contrasting to this, if your foot is placed in front of accelerator pedal, in panic model, you don't shift your foot over to brake pedal but simply press down which in this case will be the accelerator pedal and then boom, bam oh no!

Why use only one foot and not both feet: Well, when you are accelerating or moving you are not braking and when you are braking you are not pressing the accelerator. You only do one of these in a given time and situation and both are not done simultaneously.
So only one foot is used instead of both to avoid any confusion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashkamath (Post 5824061)
" In an automatic car, your idle left leg is never used. Place it on the dead pedal.

I would go further than this, for those who are unused to AT, or those that drive AT and MT regularly and may get confused:-

At first, when driving AT, keep your left foot tucked in towards the seat. If you keep it on the dead pedal (assuming there is one) then that's probably where you keep it when driving MT (It is absolutely wrong to keep it on the clutch and that will cause wear) and confusion is possible. If your foot is tucked in, you cannot use it on a pedal without actually thinking about it.

My only pedal confusion was putting my foot on the "clutch" in an AT car, thus braking sharply, which did not please the guy behind me. Granted, this was on one of my first alone trips after passing my UK test --- but I have done the tucked-in thing ever since.

When one has had an AT long enough, especially if never driving MT, one can do whatever is comfortable with that leg.

I don't remember who to credit for the tucked-in advice, but I know that I was taught or read it. And I found it works perfectly. Now, I have not driven an AT car for nearly twenty years, and I would absolutely use it for a week or four.

Happened yesterday at Punkunnam junction, Thrissur.
The lady on scooter should have had a cursory glance before crossing across the car.
There was a police car just ahead of me and they went to help, so I didn't wait.

Footage from my rear cam.

https://youtu.be/8K4sVdJUKRw?si=1x7kBoq2pHBbudVv

This is the best example of you having no control over what will happen the next minute, poor old man had to suffer for the idiocy of a bus driver and to an extent truck driver. The bus driver should be arrested right away, even though the truck driver shouldn't have tried to overtake from the left, he flashed his lights, and the bus driver should have allowed him to go ahead. Had he done that, the old man would have returned home alive. I have seen a good number of private buses drive as if they own the roads and not let others overtake them. It's a pure case of ego, it is important to keep one's ego in check while driving, and life will be peaceful.

https://x.com/PattukkottaiU/status/1824691884410929196

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV_Jn43JWlY

Quote:

Originally Posted by maheshm619 (Post 5821222)
A speeding car driven by a student struck a pedestrian in Quthbullapur, resulting the spot death.

https://x.com/i/status/1822546348228657175

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecenandu (Post 5821539)
Look how callously the guys in the XUV are getting off; the one guy who climbed out of the front passenger door didn’t even flinch upon seeing the injured person. :Frustrati

According to the police report, all the occupants in the car were aged between 20-22, coming back from overnight party and were drunk beyond the limits. The sad thing is, locals have no idea about victim involved in the accident and were focused on giving special treatment to the suv driver.

It was the police who found the victim lying lifeless on the ground after 40 minutes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajivr1612 (Post 5824392)
Happened yesterday at Punkunnam junction, Thrissur.
The lady on scooter should have had a cursory glance before crossing across the car.

Oh man!!! People these days with zero common sense and traffic sense:Frustrati:Frustrati.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvivek85 (Post 5824592)
poor old man had to suffer for the idiocy of a bus driver and to an extent truck driver. The bus driver should be arrested right away, even though the truck driver shouldn't have tried to overtake from the left, he flashed his lights, and the bus driver should have allowed him to go ahead.

What am i missing? I see bus driving on it's lane and a truck trying to use the left shoulder to overtake. And suddenly the truck veers off onto the side and hits the poor soul on the side.

:disappointed

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvivek85 (Post 5824592)
This is the best example of you having no control

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathwalkr (Post 5824654)
What am i missing?

The tweet has the better video and the news channel had cropped the video for some unknown reasons on the Youtube link.

However, it looks like a single carriageway road and the bus overtook the truck, only to stop at the bus stop right infront of the truck.
This made the truck driver brake abruptly and crashed into the pedestrian.

If the bus stop is so close, there is no need for the overtake , but we are so used to overtaking :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish (Post 5824689)
The tweet has the better video and the news channel had cropped the video for some unknown reasons on the Youtube link.

However, it looks like a single carriageway road and the bus overtook the truck, only to stop at the bus stop right infront of the truck.
This made the truck driver brake abruptly and crashed into the pedestrian.

If the bus stop is so close, there is no need for the overtake , but we are so used to overtaking :Frustrati

Thanks. Yes the tweet had the proper video. The new channel video was confusing.

Your analysis is spot on.

My friend’s father met with an accident on Mysuru Outer Ring Road. He was riding a scooter without a helmet around 9.30 PM and a speedy car hit him from behind on a straight road. He was just 500m away from his home. He immediately fell on the road and impact was on his nose, lips, forehead and head. The driver of the car did not stop and fled away. It was a hit-and-run case.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_6346.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_6347.jpg

After few minutes, someone stopped and called the patrol police. The police reached the accident spot in few minutes and took him to his house since he was able to give them the address and the house was very close. Then the police took him to the hospital along with his wife and he was admitted to Apollo Hospital. And, my friend lives in the USA.

After the CT scan of his head, they found no major damage to the head or brain. He was diagnosed with 'RTA with forehead, lower lip, nose, and scalp lacerations' and two of his teeth came out. He had two surgeries and was discharged after two weeks. He will be on bed rest for a few more weeks.

I think that the accident happened, the car driver should have stopped the car and taken him to the nearby hospital. Instead he fled the scene. The police could not find the car even after a month. And, If my friend’s father had been wearing the helmet, the damage would have been less. When I asked him why he did not wear the helmet, he said he was going to a nearby shop (around 500m away) hence he did not wear it.

I created this post to request everyone to wear a helmet even if you are just going to a nearby shop.

18 wheeler trailer driven by a 22 year old with over Rs 10800 in pending traffic violation challans hit an auto waiting at a signal this morning around 7:45 AM flouting city entry timings. The impact pushed the auto under a public transport bus. A crane had to be called in to lift the bus and pull out the auto and the injured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApH0VzId88o

10th class student on her way to school lost her life this morning in this accident and the auto driver is reported to be critical.