Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2024, 15:39   #40936
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Devastated is putting it mildly after watching the Agra parking lot Incident.

Lessons for us. If we aren't alone coming to malls, then it is better someone supervises till the car is taken out. Else we can enlist the security (who are always there) and seek their help.

In this case no point blaming anyone.
Capri89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 17:33   #40937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
A toddler (1.5 yrs) has lost her life in a freak accident at a mall parking lot, in Agra. The careless parents of the toddler can be seen interacting amongst themselves, while the child wanders around the parking lot unsupervised. There was no way the Ertiga driver would have noticed the child while moving from his parking slot, as it was clearly a blind spot, especially because of the child's height. News reports have suggested that the child has lost her life. Very unfortunate incident.

https://Youtu.be/nsOPh0xi8tM
This gives me chills. Even with a car with ADAS level 2 and all features turned on, I am unsure whether it will detect a toddler running from a blind spot into the corner. Being a driver in this scenario, how would you even avoid this!?
MalnadMansha is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 19:04   #40938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream1188 View Post
Bangalore Hebbal Flyover incident. Longer video of the same, clearly the driver did not apply brakes.
Seems brain freeze of driver, pressing accelarator instead of brake.
Just curious, there was a banging sound starting at 0:34 even before the bus hit the bike infront of it.
iamswift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 19:25   #40939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
Just curious, there was a banging sound starting at 0:34 even before the bus hit the bike infront of it.
The sound and video feed are not in sync in the recording, that's all.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 20:03   #40940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalnadMansha View Post
Even with a car with ADAS level 2 and all features turned on, I am unsure whether it will detect a toddler running from a blind spot into the corner.
100% ADAS would have detected it
GTX+ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 20:15   #40941
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
A toddler (1.5 yrs) has lost her life in a freak accident at a mall parking lot, in Agra. The careless parents of the toddler can be seen interacting amongst themselves, while the child wanders around the parking lot unsupervised...
The poor child. Her curiosity cost her her life.

Nothing 'freak' about the incident though. Even within the limited footage in that clip, it's obvious the parents are totally oblivious of their surroundings, and the whereabouts of the child for several crucial seconds, when surrounded by cars, any of which might move.

The reporting in that newspaper is atrocious. The headline assumes fault on the driver's part, and they even declare him absconding 'after dropping the child & parents to the hospital'. Given the sort of reporting and general attitude of crowds, unfortunately not a surprise people don't hang around to cooperate.

Mall parking lots absolutely give me the creeps, and I always take them at crawling speeds however empty and spacious they seem. You're never more than one moment of an oblivious person walking out of a blindspot away from tragedy.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 07:29   #40942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The poor child. Her curiosity cost her her life.

Nothing 'freak' about the incident though. Even within the limited footage in that clip, it's obvious the parents are totally oblivious of their surroundings, and the whereabouts of the child for several crucial seconds, when surrounded by cars, any of which might move.

The reporting in that newspaper is atrocious
Absolutely. Child was loitering for God knows how many minutes. She has gone that far away and not even for a single second Parents looked for her.

Newspaper and general public - whoever is behind the wheels is culprit. Pathetic behavior showing total lack of accountability.
SamDiablo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 08:23   #40943
BHPian

Quote:
This gives me chills. Even with a car with ADAS level 2 and all features turned on, I am unsure whether it will detect a toddler running from a blind spot into the corner. Being a driver in this scenario, how would you even avoid this!?
I don't know if this helps. I have cultivated the habit of keeping the car in the reverse order, so that when I start to leave later, I don't have to take a reverse, but just drive away. I have this habit since decades and it helps. Further I have blind spot mirrors on all my vehicles for situations like these.

Having said that it's difficult for a driver taking reverse to spot a toddler behind the car. I have been in similar situation as a driver at home but I got lucky that time. My niece got saved in the nick of time due to the alert mind of my grandfather who was around.
ashkamath is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 09:13   #40944
BHPian

I made a habit of honking when I am about to start from standstill. But there is no amount of carefulness that can avoid such cases where a kid who is shorter than the car's bonnet moves out of pillar at the exact moment you are crossing it.

My younger son is hyper active and I have to keep holding his hand and keep an eye on elder one even though elder one does not wander. Younger one is the type that suddenly runs without even seeing what's coming on the road. We hold him every second he is on road. I am so shit scared that I had not started teaching him to ride a bicycle (6yo) till last month while I started this when my elder one was 5yo. I really hope him riding on bicycle will get him to understand road manners a bit more as he becomes more aware of vehicles on the road and dangers of hitting one.

Also, absolute shame on media who cut off visuals that made it look as if the car driver did not see the kid. They were showing the exact moment when kid moved infront of moving car and did not show the part where the car driver took them to hospital. They went on say 'car driver fled the scene after running over the toddler'. May these (media) souls rot in hell (I hope they have soul in the first place).

Last edited by ambandla : 14th August 2024 at 09:17.
ambandla is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 09:30   #40945
BHPian

A BMTC driver rams into multiple vehicles before coming to a stop.

https://www.ndtv.com/bangalore-news/...njured-6326817
autobahnjpr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 17:30   #40946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX+ View Post
100% ADAS would have detected it
Would the ADAS radar sensor, usually located near the front grille, detect a toddler running from the side into the corner of the bumper when the car is starting from a standstill position?
Old 14th August 2024, 18:26   #40947
BHPian

Quote:
Would the ADAS radar sensor, usually located near the front grille, detect a toddler running from the side into the corner of the bumper when the car is starting from a standstill position?
Quoting from personal experience, yes it does. Not only a child, any obstruction is detected by ADAS and it sounds beeps/alerts inside the car. If the car has 360 deg camera, which automatically gets activated, one also has the benefit of looking what the obstruction is.
GTX+ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 18:46   #40948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
A BMTC driver rams into multiple vehicles before coming to a stop.

https://www.ndtv.com/bangalore-news/...njured-6326817
Looks like he panicked and did not release his feet off the gas pedal. Look at his footwork at around 0:05 to 0:10, when he is stopping, He clearly has a foot on the brake. However, at the time the accident happens, it looks like he did not move his feet back to pressing the brakes. Nothing else explains why the bus plunges forward even after hitting so many vehicles despite being in crawling speed.

Last edited by SR-71 : 14th August 2024 at 18:48.
SR-71 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 19:22   #40949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX+ View Post
Quoting from personal experience, yes it does. Not only a child, any obstruction is detected by ADAS and it sounds beeps/alerts inside the car. If the car has 360 deg camera, which automatically gets activated, one also has the benefit of looking what the obstruction is.
Close range detections are not possible with the radar since its field of view does not cover the bumper corners. Even the ADAS camera is not so good in doing this when the kid is right in the edge of the bumper. It will however detect kids approaching the path of the car from a few feet away and track them as the car approaches.

The accident being discussed in this needs parking sensors with auto braking for obstacles. That will trigger when the speed of the car is less than 10kmph and brake the car to a halt when an obstacle appears in the immediate surroundings of the car. The camera/radar based system wont be of much use here.
audioholic is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 21:22   #40950
BHPian

https://www.deccanherald.com/india/p...punjab-3146205
This happened close to my village and it was not at all raining in the area. There is water only when it rains in Himachal Pradesh. Totally avoidable as the driver was warned by locals as well as police. Still there was an alternate route. This road is through villages and can be avoided. Off late have noticed drivers taking risk to avoid toll or find shorter route even though it is not economical.
sukhbirST is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed