Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2024, 12:30   #40906
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I beg to differ, more like fighter pilots. Airline pilots care for passenger safety.
I agree. More like Kamikaze pilots. But the moot question is 'Why don't they realise that they are putting public at risk?'. What could be more important than safety and life?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th August 2024 at 09:17. Reason: Typos and punctuation.
Old 2nd August 2024, 13:31   #40907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitmoses View Post
https://www.dtnext.in/news/city/four...off-omr-797742

The car has crumpled so badly. I am told it is a brand new Baleno. Can someone confirm?
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_2671.jpeg

Not sure whether it’s brand new but out of 5, 3 students are killed on spot and 1 died in hospital and another student in critical condition. Looks like the driver tried to avoid hitting a dog and unable to control the high speed. This road is not yet commenced fully for public and it’s under construction. Speeding/driving trials/reels making/drinking after sunset everything happens.

Basically whoever takes that bypass to avoid Kelambakkam junction need to be extra careful. Better to avoid after sunset.

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd August 2024 at 17:05. Reason: Typo corrected
Kashief is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 07:29   #40908
BHPian

In the Baleno accident mentioned above, I wonder whether just avoiding a dog & falling in a roadside pit at a speed, a car be damaged so much.

It is crumpled like it has hit some roadside strong barrier to bring it such state.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th August 2024 at 09:15. Reason: Spacing.
Old 4th August 2024, 09:15   #40909
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
..I am told it is a brand new Baleno. Can someone confirm?
The alloys are 1st gen Baleno.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 11:44   #40910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay T View Post
In the Baleno accident mentioned above, I wonder whether just avoiding a dog & falling in a roadside pit at a speed, a car be damaged so much.

It is crumpled like it has hit some roadside strong barrier to bring it such state.
Do not underestimate speed. Just to give a idea a speed of 72 kmph = (20 m/s) is what you/(or your car) attains when dropped from a height of of a 6-storey building. Every time you double the speed, the energy increases 4 times. Which means at 140 kmph you are falling from a 24 storey building.
electric_eel is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 12:41   #40911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerk_free View Post
I would also love to see some serious actions for not maintaining a minimum speed on right lane. Or Switching lanes and cross solid lines. Speed alone isn't the problem. Rash driving can happen at 70 Kmph also.
]
The state traffic police is interested only in catching the low hanging fruit- since they have cameras they will only capture speedsters. And turn a Nelson's eye to vehicles coming in the wrong direction, indiscriminate lane crossing and generally uncivilized road behaviour. Sorry to say but as long as driving licenses are handed out so liberally and not earned, we will see no discipline, no safety on our city roads and highways.

Last edited by Sridhar C E : 5th August 2024 at 12:42. Reason: Spelling
Sridhar C E is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 16:19   #40912
BHPian

Hi,

This unfortunate incident happened to my friend a week back while he was returning from a family outing. He was travelling with his full family in a 2021 Vitara Brezza AT and it was raining heavily on the highway due to which visibility was limited.

Suddenly an over speeding Duster tried to cut from his left and due to lack of judgement hit the Vitara on left hindquarter. Vitara immediately swerved horizontally 3-4 times and fell into a ditch at the side of the road after turning upside down. Thankfully, due to fantastic build quality of Brezza and oodles of good luck, the whole family escaped unhurt other than few minor scratches.

The speed of Duster was around 110 kmph as admitted by owner in Police station whereas Vitara was being driven at normal speed. As of now, the vehicle has been released from Police station and insurance formalities have started for getting the Vehicle declared as total loss. We wanted to have a few doubts cleared from the learned members here if they faced something similar in past:

1. The airbags of Vitara did not open up in accident although the occupants were buckled up. I understand that vehicle was hit from left but shouldn't the airbags be deployed when vehicle fell in ditch? We have mailed Maruti regarding this but no reply received till now.
2. Workshop mentioned IDV will be paid after deduction of GST amount from the IDV value? Is it a standard practice or are they trying to fleece us?
3. Insurance mentioned about Salvage but that will be paid as part of total IDV settlement and not on top of that.
4. The workshop will be charging parking at 300/day although they have kept the car on main road covered with transparent plastic. Is it a standard amount to be charged and will insurance cover this?

I am attaching some accident pictures to clarify the magnitude of accident. Please help us in getting some insights on these points and also any do's/don'ts while dealing with insurance in these scenarios as this is the first time we are dealing with this anything like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20240806-160655.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20240806wa0007.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20240806-15.30.09_838ebace.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20240806-15.30.10_112df33e.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20240806-15.30.10_0839cb70.jpg  

Centodieci is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 17:02   #40913
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centodieci View Post
2. Workshop mentioned IDV will be paid after deduction of GST amount from the IDV value?
That's a new thing or perhaps your friend is not able to understand. What has GST got to do with anything? Better post your query in the Insurance thread with more details. Like what is IDV amount and what % of GST is being asked? Technically, the car should become the property of the Insurance company in such cases and they will pay you IDV value or whatever is decided. This can come as a single payment or one from Insurance and the other from salvage buyers. your friend can also bid and buy the car back in such cases and get it repaired.
Quote:
Insurance mentioned about Salvage but that will be paid as part of total IDV settlement and not on top of that.
Yes, that's correct.

Quote:
The workshop will be charging parking at 300/day although they have kept the car on main road covered with transparent plastic.
Yes, because they may not earn anything from all this. So usually, they will charge you for preparing the estimate and also you may incur such charges. Maybe if you are buying a new car from them, they can waive or ask the insurance company if you can move the car to your home or any other location where you can park this instead.

Quote:
Is it a standard amount to be charged and will insurance cover this?
Most likely - NO.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 17:41   #40914
BHPian

Quote:
2. Workshop mentioned IDV will be paid after deduction of GST amount from the IDV value?
GST for what? They are liable to pay the whole IDV. It can come in instalments, i.e., a check or DD by the salvage buyer and the remaining balance by the Insurance Co.
Quote:
3. Insurance mentioned about Salvage but that will be paid as part of total IDV settlement and not on top of that.
As mentioned by Turbanator, that is correct.
Quote:
4. The workshop will be charging parking at 300/day although they have kept the car on main road covered with transparent plastic. Is it a standard amount to be charged and will insurance cover this?
No, insurance doesn’t cover this. Glad they are upfront about this. My repair estimate was ~ ₹15L and they were charging 1% of the Repair Estimate in addition to parking charges. My car was parked for almost 20 days inside the dealership premises. Eventually, since we had a longstanding relationship with the dealership, they settled for ₹5000.
Quote:
1. The airbags of Vitara did not open up in accident although the occupants were buckled up. I understand that vehicle was hit from left but shouldn't the airbags be deployed when vehicle fell in ditch?
In April, an acquaintance had a similar accident in the Toyota Urban Cruiser (same car). He slept at the wheel, and the car veered into a ditch late at night. Thankfully he was belted, and airbags did deploy. He came out unscathed because of the same. In his case they were pushing for a total loss but eventually it is getting repaired and still is in the service centre.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-170b443d5021473cbc1ceec201103d1a.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-68d25e46e8b2489898c74599eab1551b.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_7357.jpeg

Last edited by ex-innova-guy : 6th August 2024 at 17:44.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 21:40   #40915
BHPian

Quote:
2. Workshop mentioned IDV will be paid after deduction of GST amount from the IDV value? Is it a standard practice or are they trying to fleece us?
3. Insurance mentioned about Salvage but that will be paid as part of total IDV
Sorry for the loss of the car. Good to know that your friend and family are safe.

I had recent experience of total loss of my car in an accident. As mentioned by other members, your friend will get full IDV (minus necessary deductible of 2k) jointly from scrap buyer and insurance. There would not be any GST deduction.

If your friend has a place to park the car, he can shift the car there after car has been accepted for total loss, to avoid paying unnecessary parking charges. You will need to get card deregistered before scrap buyer takes it away. The process of deregistration might take more than a month.

Your friend can get the road tax refunded. That will be over and above the IDV amount that he would receive, and would be about 70-75 percent of the road tax paid for 2021 car.
speed79 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 21:58   #40916
BHPian

Curious case of driverless Pune Municipal Corporation vehicle (Bolero Pickup)

https://x.com/i/status/1820819145350349055

Last edited by DriverLess : 6th August 2024 at 21:59. Reason: added vehicle model
DriverLess is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 08:26   #40917
BHPian

Thanks Turbanator, ex-innova-guy and Speed79 for valuable suggestions.

One further update is that insurance company HDFC Ergo had got the vehicle parked in a network garage and not a Maruti authorised one. My friend received call back from Maruti yesterday asking to get the vehicle towed to Maruti Service Center for diagnosis of the airbag issue. For this, there will be an additional expense of getting it released from network garage, get it towed and then start the claim process again from the authorized workshop as per their costing.

Can the experienced members please suggest if this will be helpful in any way as generally OEM doesn't admit to their own issues?
Old 7th August 2024, 09:14   #40918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Turbanator, ex-innova-guy and Speed79 for valuable suggestions.

One further update is that insurance company HDFC Ergo had got the vehicle parked in a network garage and not a Maruti authorised one. My friend received call back from Maruti yesterday asking to get the vehicle towed to Maruti Service Center for diagnosis of the airbag issue. For this, there will be an additional expense of getting it released from network garage, get it towed and then start the claim process again from the authorized workshop as per their costing.

Can the experienced members please suggest if this will be helpful in any way as generally OEM doesn't admit to their own issues?
Airbag deployment depends on lot of factors and it might be tricky to prove faulty mechanism. In fact, wrong deployment (when it is not needed) could lead to injuries to the occupants more than those caused by the accident itself.

I would say that most important thing is that all occupants were safe (irrespective of whether airbags were deployed or not). That's what matters, isn't it? Company can always argue that, by design airbags were not deployed and occupants were still safe. Your friend needs to decide whether it is worth taking this fight on.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 7th August 2024 at 09:33.
Aviator_guy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 11:24   #40919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[url]I am told it is a brand new Baleno. Can someone confirm?
The alloy wheel design tells us that its not a brand new Baleno. It is from 2015-2019 batch.
Old 7th August 2024, 12:05   #40920
BHPian

Quote:

1. The airbags of Vitara did not open up in accident although the occupants were buckled up. I understand that vehicle was hit from left but shouldn't the airbags be deployed when vehicle fell in ditch? We have mailed Maruti regarding this but no reply received till now.
My theory is this: as initial impact is not head on, car might have lost considerable kinetic energy by the time of actual frontal impact. So, when the airbag sensors got triggered, vehicle speed may have been slowed down to the extent that the system logic may have aborted the air bag explosion circuit.

Without a clear video and comprehensive vehicle data at the time of the accident, even manufacturer might be left second guessing about why the bags didn't deploy. Lack of response from manufacturer or bags not deploying in total damage cases should not be the cause to mistrust these mechanisms - which are often supplied by highly skilled and competitive vendors who would have tested and designed these as best as they could.
deetee is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks