Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2723.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goandiaries (Post 5805342)
Here's another one on a wet road in Bangalore. Not sure if it has been posted before, but I don't remember seeing this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaAw76FPSpo

I have no words to describe the maniac driving by the tempo driver. What was he even thinking. I believe the continuous honking we hear from the beginning in the video is the same guy and when he got a chance to overtake, tried to cut across aggressively and paid the price.

I can only hope he learnt some lessons and will be a better driver!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goandiaries (Post 5805342)
Here's another one on a wet road in Bangalore. Not sure if it has been posted before, but I don't remember seeing this here.

I was surprised there was one guys face sticking out from the rear loading bay in the first few frames of the 180' turn.

By the time it did a 360' I went :Shockked::eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLK (Post 5805329)
I don't think I'd drive like how many seem to be suggesting here!. Something happens of the road, just slam brakes. That is no way to drive, you need to assess your stopping distance and then stop safely.

Point is to drive as defensively as you can - being fully attentive to the overall outer situation around us when we hold the steering in our hands.

With reference to the above video, the driver does see some bikers in trouble, yet..he keeps his speed intact and brakes after 4-5 seconds.
As an evasive measure - had he mildly braked OR atleast slowed down, chances are his car wouldn't have dashed into the auto.

While we salute the driver for being able to correct his course and avoid running into the bikers, thereby averting a potential major accident..the way he just kept coasting and not slowing down upon seeing the bikers in trouble, which eventually lead to a minor collision with the auto, is the concern being highlighted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goandiaries (Post 5805253)
The car driver definitely did a good job!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail (Post 5805270)
I beg to differ here.

Me too, along with others.

Quote:

I don't think I'd drive like how many seem to be suggesting here!. Something happens of the road, just slam brakes.

Emergency stop. It absolutely is the way to drive when you suddenly have people on the road in front of you, and it should have been his immediate reaction. On a wet road, your stopping distance is not even predictable.

Quote:

That is no way to drive, you need to assess your stopping distance and then stop safely. There was obviously was some oil or something similar of the road, a car at 45 doesn't need to overreact,
Thinking time is what extends stopping time. Sometimes, the less thinking the better. This was a life/death situation. An emergency stop is the right way to drive.
Quote:

There was not even a hint of screeching sound, but in-fact ABS like judders, meaning the tyres were clearly not gripping.
You misunderstand ABS.

Screeching sound: skidding. tyres are not gripping and there is no control

ABS judder, in as few words as possible: ABS seeks to keep the wheels at maximum grip and stopping power. This happens just before wheels lock up. That is why it judders, because it is repeatedly reaching that point but not going beyond it. Because wheel locking is prevented, there is still some steering control. (But there is still physics).

That's the key points of skidding and ABS, but please do some research to be well-informed on this, and a safer driver.

Why and how those damn-fool bikers did this stupid stuff is another thing. Too close, too fast, not taking proper notice of each other let alone anything else. So nearly cost lives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail (Post 5805399)
With reference to the above video, the driver does see some bikers in trouble, yet..he keeps his speed intact and brakes after 4-5 seconds.
As an evasive measure - had he mildly braked OR atleast slowed down, chances are his car wouldn't have dashed into the auto...the way he just kept coasting and not slowing down upon seeing the bikers in trouble, which eventually lead to a minor collision with the auto, is the concern being highlighted.

From what I see and hear in the video, 30s in the first bike slides on the road. This event is actually covered by all the bikes behind him.

Even then at about 33s in, I can hear the sound of brakes being applied and I think ABS kicking in agressively (the occupants of the car also make a remark on the brakes effectiveness..couldn't really make it out).

This while the driver is talking to family/friends and searching for his destination on Google maps (kudos to him for using the voice search) and i think I am awed by how quick he reacted and while having the presence of mind to turn the car while braking in order to not run over the bikers.

Real world, you can't really expect F16 fighter pilots driving in cars by themselves (no distractions) and practising defensive driving. For a normal human being, he indeed was a really good driver.

The only individual who failed to be a decent human being is the local auto driver who immediately got out (and without even checking on the riders) started trying to exhort money out of car driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 5805410)
Emergency stop. It absolutely is the way to drive when you suddenly have people on the road in front of you, and it should have been his immediate reaction. On a wet road, your stopping distance is not even predictable.

Abrupt emergency braking - you'd have killed 2 people behind you? There was no emergency, because it is impossible to assess that the car wont stop.

Quote:

You misunderstand ABS.

I take offence to this! com'on!

Quote:

Screeching sound: skidding. tyres are not gripping and there is no control

ABS judder, in as few words as possible: ABS seeks to keep the wheels at maximum grip and stopping power. This happens just before wheels lock up. That is why it judders, because it is repeatedly reaching that point but not going beyond it. Because wheel locking is prevented, there is still some steering control. (But there is still physics).

That's the key points of skidding and ABS, but please do some research to be well-informed on this, and a safer driver.

Even ChatGPT can explain better than this, but you have to really drive to see if under hard braking, intermittent screeching will be heard even with ABS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUZR_XGVsFc

Quote:

Why and how those damn-fool bikers did this stupid stuff is another thing. Too close, too fast, not taking proper notice of each other let alone anything else. So nearly cost lives.

Wow, please see again sir (eyesight is important too), there were 4 bikers that fell! they were doing nothing, just driving straight and the bikes skidded sideways. There was oil spill on the road!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JithinR (Post 5805414)
Real world, you can't really expect F16 fighter pilots driving in cars by themselves (no distractions) and practising defensive driving...

Yes we can.

And should. OK, if we were all perfect there wouldn't be any accidents and that is not going to happen, but driving in heavy rain is a permanently dangerous situation and calls for high levels of attention. One should also be able to tune out the wife, father, dog, child, friend, etc, whatever is going on inside the car. Even every-day city traffic requires this.

These are not superhuman skills: they are driving skills.

Quote:

Driver clearly noticed the event, so wasn't distracted, but there was no reason for him to slam brakes at that speed, but then he realised, the brakes aren't working as well!. There was not even a hint of screeching sound, but in-fact ABS like judders, meaning the tyres were clearly not gripping.

This is how I interpreted the video as well. The driver immediately gives the reaction of “Oy”. I guess people forget that it does take a regular human a couple of seconds to react - the brain takes some time to comprehend what the eyes see. The driver was driving defensively which is EXACTLY why there were no casualties - I find it a little ludicrous that people are not seeing this part.

What were the defensive driving aspects we can see:
1. A stable speed of 45kmph
2. Very good distance maintained to the vehicle in front

Let’s go back a few pages into this thread and read a few posts, it’ll all boil down to the above two points as the cornerstone for safe driving.

There is clearly some sort of an oil spill for all the bikers to just fall like that. And this is also likely why the car doesn’t slow down.

If the driver had slammed the brakes it would have been 100% worse in that situation, with or without ABS, especially if there was an oil spill. The car would have just slid forwards crushing everything on the way. The driver also says in Kannada that the brakes just didn’t work.

Also, just because someone is speaking, doesn’t mean they are distracted. I speak to myself often when I’m driving solo. It actually helps me calm a bit more and stay focused on the road. They are clearly having just a very candid conversation and not really involved in some serious debate which will, I agree, be distracting.

There is certainly evidence of something like an oil spill. Bikers are falling independently when reaching a point on the road. So I was a bit harsh on them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 5805606)
There is certainly evidence of something like an oil spill. Bikers are falling independently when reaching a point on the road. So I was a bit harsh on them.

I still think that car driver had more than enough time to have reacted earlier and I do not think that is being harsh. But I am also curious to understand how the oil spill, if it was that indeed, let several other bikers & other vehicles (before the ones that fell) pass through without issue. Unless there was a vehicle leaking oil just in front of these?

Quote:

Thinking time is what extends stopping time. Sometimes, the less thinking the better. This was a life/death situation. An emergency stop is the right way to drive.

I had a similar incident which I had posted long back. I completely agreed with Mr. TEG. This was an emergency braking situation and yes, I would have run over several vehicles if I hadn't slammed the brakes. The audio isn't there but the brakes performed quite well with the ABS "judder".

https://youtu.be/WcDsVq0kR7g?si=O-QwOIWVg_SaLLz2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goandiaries (Post 5805253)
Happened to come across this on my YT. The car driver definitely did a good job!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt2IzuFtlTY

That is highly likely oil on that road. That is why the first two two-wheelers just fell down at the same spot, followed by the car not able to brake properly and then at the end another two wheeler also skidded and fell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asmr (Post 5805695)
I still think that car driver had more than enough time to have reacted earlier and I do not think that is being harsh. But I am also curious to understand how the oil spill, if it was that indeed, let several other bikers & other vehicles (before the ones that fell) pass through without issue. Unless there was a vehicle leaking oil just in front of these?

The uploader mentions in the comments that it had just started raining. So, it's a combination of oil deposited on the road and rain bring it up to the surface.

Which is why I try to delay my trip/commute by about 30 mins if it starts raining (especially when I am in a city).

Quote:

Originally Posted by asmr (Post 5805695)
I had a similar incident which I had posted long back. I completely agreed with Mr. TEG. This was an emergency braking situation and yes, I would have run over several vehicles if I hadn't slammed the brakes. The audio isn't there but the brakes performed quite well with the ABS "judder".

Also, no offence sir but you didn't have a similar incident. Yours was when the skies were clear, the weather was dry, your speed was close to 31km/hr and you had just passed a signal where people generally are attentive. The video in question shows the accident occurred when the skies were overcast (almost makes it like driving at twilight), the roads were wet, the driver was a speed close to 46km/hr and the driver was actually flowing with the traffic.

I am also really disappointed that folks here are chiding the driver for not doing an emergency stop. Reacting to an event (a single rider falling down - which I am sure that the driver didn't even notice since there were a bunch of bikes riding about too close to each other) about 3s later, is a pretty good reaction time in my books and as close to an emergency stop that most mortals here would be capable of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JithinR (Post 5805713)
I am also really disappointed that folks here are chiding the driver for not doing an emergency stop.

I cannot think of anything more demanding of an emergency stop than people on the road ahead.

Now, for all our pontification, mine included, let us acknowledge that we weren't there. For sure, I was not in that driving seat, and I don't want to be. I have, recently, had to do an emergency stop for a biker who stopped right in front of me. And yes, this was city traffic, and the guy behind ran into me. That's life. And although I shut him up when he started talking about his damage, I was prepared to let him off the damage to my rear bumper.

I like to think that I would have been watching those bikers like a hawk. I like to think that I might have responded quicker and braked harder.

Some people might find me a bit loud-mouthed. But be assured, I never take part in these conversations without thinking it could be me tomorrow; it could be me getting it wrong tomorrow.

I’d like to add my opinions to the mix on the accident where multiple bikers are seen falling and the car grinds to a halt after bumping an auto.

Firstly, I doubt that an oil spill is to blame. The roads are wet and if you thought getting a drivers license was easy, getting a 2 wheeler license is even easier in many parts of our country. I have seen this many times where bikers just choose panic and freeze as their go-to reaction for anything unexpected that happens on the road in front of them. :Frustrati

Now about the driver and his reaction, unless we have footage of what was behind him, can we really pass judgement on whether or not he reacted appropriately? At the end of the day even the dash cam speeds that we are quoting from the footage are not accurate or representative of the actual speed at each moment in the video. Even the video posted by member asmr, shows the inaccurate Dashcam’s recording vehicle speed for over 8 seconds after coming to a halt. These things are not connected to the car to interface with real-time performance metrics. They are laggy and slow in their representation of changes in acceleration be it speeding up or slowing down. So we really can’t say according to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JithinR (Post 5805713)
Also, no offence sir but you didn't have a similar incident.

My mention of a similar incident was not in context of the other video of people falling down but in context of the emergency braking situation and thinking time that TEG was talking about. But thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IshaanIan (Post 5805754)
So we really can’t say according to me.

The dashcam's speed recording can be completely set aside and one can still appreciate the point on importance/need of emergency braking.

In any case, this would be my last post on that incident. Moving on.