Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2024, 14:09   #40816
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitadru View Post
I hope that moron has learnt a lesson yesterday, and would think twice before trying to even drive recklessly.
Glad to know you and your mother are safe.
I highly doubt that the bus driver learnt any lesson. Going by your narration, sir, only the owner was apologetic and even he’s under the pressure from the union.
The bus driver will continue to drive, will continue to an aggressive behaviour, and will damage one or the other vehicles in coming days!

What happened after the intervention of the police? Did they take the driver into custody or just let him walk away?

Last edited by MyLife_MyCar : 17th July 2024 at 14:11.
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 14:16   #40817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
Glad to know you and your mother are safe.
I highly doubt that the bus driver learnt any lesson. Going by your narration, sir, only the owner was apologetic and even he’s under the pressure from the union.
The bus driver will continue to drive, will continue to aggressive behaviour, and will damage one or the other vehicles in coming days!

What happened after the intervention of the police? Did they take the driver into custody or just let him walk away?
Sorry I missed that part. According to the bus owner, if we did take the matter to the police station, the driver would be taken in custody. But he would soon be out on bail, due to affiliation to the union. The only thing that would happen is, that the bus and our car would be confisticated, and a cat and mice chase would have followed. We didn't go that far since the owner was understanding and apologetic, and agreed to pay for the damages. Plus as I said my brother was at school, and I had to drop of my mother to her chamber, so we didn't escalate it further.
Regarding his driving, I can vouch that if it had began with another bus, the passenger inside would have either died or would suffer from grievous injuries. We just kept a decent enough distance to ensure that the passenger was safe.

Last edited by Mitadru : 17th July 2024 at 14:19. Reason: Added some pointers
Mitadru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 14:27   #40818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Looks like aquaplaned? Hope everybody is safe!
He was on his way to Bangalore and has suffered head injuries. Attaching a news article.

Quote:
Alur: A car driver was seriously injured in a collision with a divider without seeing the road due to heavy rain.

Near Bijjanahalli Cross of Singapura Temple near Alur, the driver of a Scorpio, which was going from Mangalore to Bangalore, lost control and collided with the road side divider, completely crushing the front of the car. The driver of the car, Dharmaraj, suffered severe head injuries and was sent to the hospital in Hassan. Alur police visited the place and conducted an investigation.
Old 17th July 2024, 14:48   #40819
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmanova View Post
He was on his way to Bangalore and has suffered head injuries. Attaching a news article.
God! Not sure if he was wearing the seatbelt!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20240717_171603.jpg  

M35 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 21:31   #40820
Senior - BHPian

Here’s a quick glimpse on what goes behind the scenes of a heroic act. Heartening to see that we still have such humans amongst us on the roads.

Yes, calling this out as a heroic act, especially given the split second reaction of the driver to just go and save that random stranger who just met with the accident.
Throughout the video we can see him running to the accident site, checking the injured, getting them some essentials from nearby house, trying to get a ride to hospital, deciding to get his bus itself to do the job, and finally driving away and merging onto his daily job as soon as the injured is transferred to the hospital.
And the many passengers who sprung into action in whatever small ways possible by them to ensure a life is saved.

Kudos to everyone involved. Much appreciated.

(And for the accident part, overtaking on a blind curve couldn’t have resulted in anything better for the biker. They live another day just because of the beautiful people who happened to be near them at the right time)

sarathlal is offline   (75) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 06:22   #40821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Chain accident near Basapura, Nice road, Bangalore. Leaves 1 dead.

https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...raffic-3105793
I have been seeing this bus for past one week. The accident is surely because of blindly overtaking from the shoulder. Also if you see the cars behind which hut the bus, they were not maintaining any kind of gap between the bus. This is a regular occurrence on nice road. Hope the cars learned their lesson. But I am sure they would be blaming their luck and lorry driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Looking at the photos, it looks like the vehicles involved were doing the usual overtake from the left lane seen on NICE road. This always has been an accident in the waiting, especially in low visibility condition.
True. The shoulders are extremely dangerous on this road. One more issue with Nice road is throughout the stretch of 50+ kms, there is no layover. No place to stop safely. Also many enteries into nice road are directly onto the road, so shoulder riders are always a threat! It is amazing that we don't see an accident daily.
Raghuwire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 09:24   #40822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmanova View Post
My dad's acquaintance met with an accident. Happened today early morning in Hassan. The vehicle in question is Scorpio N Z8 4X4.
A sincere request to all, please avoid night driving especially in rainy and winter seasons. The driver was over-speeding, he missed the concrete divider due to the foggy weather and ended up hitting it. The driver is out of danger, and he is injured superficially
Sorry to hear. Is this the Hassan-Sakleshpur bypass ? I was driving back a few days ago at night and while it's a new road, it seems to collect a lot of water in some spots - definite risk of aquaplaning or getting shocked by water spraying over and losing focus.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 10:31   #40823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Yes, calling this out as a heroic act, especially given the split second reaction of the driver to just go and save that random stranger who just met with the accident.
While commending the driver’s action, the way he was driving rashly honking continuously, could have resulted in another accident. As it is, buses in Kerala drive like crazy & it’s not fun to have a honking-speeding bus breathe down your neck. More so because those being bullied have no way of knowing that the intention is good.

A better way would have been to call up an ambulance - you are never far from an ambulance in Kerala. Most ambulances are also driven equally rashly, but atleast motorists understand the urgency from the vehicle / siren & give way.

Interestingly a day after I saw this video, I was waiting behind 10-15 cars at a closed railway gate on a 1-lane-each-way town road, when this bus (could be different driver/bus, as there could be many private buses running with the same name) honked & sped up on the wrong side & plonked himself close to the railway gate in the path of oncoming traffic. The resulting chaos when the gates opened can be imagined. He then bullied everyone & drove away at high speed.
supremeBaleno is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 10:55   #40824
BHPian

Happened to come across this on my YT. The car driver definitely did a good job!

Goandiaries is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 11:18   #40825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goandiaries View Post
Happened to come across this on my YT. The car driver definitely did a good job!

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=rt2IzuFtlTY
I beg to differ here.

If we see the video from 30 seconds onward, the bikers are falling on the road. Yet, the car driver steadily drives at 45 km/h (or so, as indicated by the speedometer from his dashcam) and only changes lanes at the 35th second onward. This means the driver is likely to be distracted, taking preventive measures 4-5 seconds after the bikers' impact.

Had the driver slammed his brakes immediately at the 31st second, he'd have at least 3 more seconds to react, and he wouldn't have dashed into the auto/the impact would have been minimal.

And, towards the end of the video, we see the auto-wallah being his usual self, blaming the driver for an impact which did help avoid a far more consequential accident
jigar1791@gmail is online now   (35) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 11:39   #40826
BHPian

Quote:

From what I see, the car driver was not even paying attention to what is happening right in front of him. It is good that he didn't run over the bikers but he had enough time to brake and bring the vehicle to a stop. He was at a speed where he could have reacted much early and not even swerved to the left to hit the auto.
asmr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 12:14   #40827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
I beg to differ here.

If we see the video from 30 seconds onward, the bikers are falling on the road. Yet, the car driver steadily drives at 45 km/h (or so, as indicated by the speedometer from his dashcam) and only changes lanes at the 35th second onward. This means the driver is likely to be distracted, taking preventive measures 4-5 seconds after the bikers' impact.

Had the driver slammed his brakes immediately at the 31st second, he'd have at least 3 more seconds to react, and he wouldn't have dashed into the auto/the impact would have been minimal.

And, towards the end of the video, we see the auto-wallah being his usual self, blaming the driver for an impact which did help avoid a far more consequential accident
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
From what I see, the car driver was not even paying attention to what is happening right in front of him. It is good that he didn't run over the bikers but he had enough time to brake and bring the vehicle to a stop. He was at a speed where he could have reacted much early and not even swerved to the left to hit the auto.
Agree about your views - the driver wasn't very attentive on the road (as we could hear from the conversation trying to google some directions). How I saw this video was that there was a moment of distraction, and it wasn't his day - but then he had the presence of mind to avoid running over the souls on the road considering the slippery surface.

PS: I am definitely not the driver, nor I am related to anyone in the situation.
Goandiaries is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 12:25   #40828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In what sense? He had 4 business days to react and braked very late and still managed to hit.
DRIV3R is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 12:40   #40829
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
I don't think I'd drive like how many seem to be suggesting here!. Something happens of the road, just slam brakes. That is no way to drive, you need to assess your stopping distance and then stop safely. There was obviously was some oil or something similar of the road, a car at 45 doesn't need to overreact, it can stop in 10 meters. Overreaction causes half the accidents on roads.

Driver clearly noticed the event, so wasn't distracted, but there was no reason for him to slam brakes at that speed, but then he realised, the brakes aren't working as well!. There was not even a hint of screeching sound, but in-fact ABS like judders, meaning the tyres were clearly not gripping.
SLK is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 13:06   #40830
BHPian

Here's another one on a wet road in Bangalore. Not sure if it has been posted before, but I don't remember seeing this here.

Goandiaries is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed