Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2024, 10:30   #40801
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Looking at the photos, it looks like the vehicles involved were doing the usual overtake from the left lane seen on NICE road. This always has been an accident in the waiting, especially in low visibility condition.
Although in this case the time of accident is stated as 9AM, so visibility could not have been the cause.
I passed the accident spot just minutes after it happened. Yesterday morning was especially dull and drizzling. The bus driver might have been too busy to notice the trailer parked on the shoulder. The left side of the bus was cut open like a can and today when I noticed, the last set of wheels on the trailer was displaced. They are a good distance in, from the end of the trailer, indicating a heavy impact. It seems like he came out of the shadow of another vehicle and expected the shoulder to be free - big mistake. More alarming was the way the Honda City and XUV700 crashed behind the bus. In the kind of wet and slippery condition the road was in yesterday, I wonder why people don't maintain safe distance. The City seemed to be a total loss; got sandwiched between the bus and the XUV.

Last edited by A350XWB : 16th July 2024 at 10:34.
A350XWB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 11:04   #40802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
The 7OO folks would have never expected such a thing to happen.
I was thinking what part of defensive driving skill could have helped XUV700 to avoid such accidents.

None came to my mind except luck.

Is there a way to mitigate or tech available to alert?

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th July 2024 at 14:55. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 16th July 2024, 11:59   #40803
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krrisdrive View Post
I was thinking what part of defensive driving skill could have helped XUV700 to avoid such accidents.

None came to my mind except luck.

Is there a way to mitigate or tech available to alert?
Driving in leftmost/middle lane might help. Gives you some time to react. I make sure to use the right most lane only when overtaking (even try to use middle lane when overtaking, if its possible).
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 12:47   #40804
Distinguished - BHPian

A truck was moving towards Mumbai on the Nashik- Mumbai highway. The accident happened in Kasra Ghat, when the truck moved out of control due to brake failure and hit six to eight cars.It appears that the truck swerved to the right and turned turtle after hitting multiple cars. The newsreport states that 12-14 people were injured.

Old 16th July 2024, 13:15   #40805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Driving in leftmost/middle lane might help. Gives you some time to react. I make sure to use the right most lane only when overtaking (even try to use middle lane when overtaking, if its possible).
The left lane and right lane pose equal challenges to the driver/rider.

1. Unexpected /stray animals sprint across the road both from kerb of left lane
2. Cyclists, pedestrians straying onto the left lane.
3. Kids making a dash to cross the road without looking out.
4. Village people joining the road in their tractors, motorcycle etc

The right lane concerns are similar to above. Additionally the vehicles that loose control and jump on to the opposite lane.

The middle lane appears to be a safer option as you rightly said - you get some micro seconds reaction time. I keep to the middle lane and have been saved when an unsuspecting kid or bycycle rider suddenly appeared on the left lane. I had enough time to react and veer a bit away and pass safely. I think such minor incidents has happened with most of the drivers/riders.
Old 16th July 2024, 17:03   #40806
BHPian

The more I read about the accidents like the Scorpio on NiCE road, the more numb I become. I feel a sadistic sense of relief that there's one less liability on the society. Unfortunately the leave behind a lot of grief to their families and friends, and strangers who were victims to their arrogance.
theabstractmind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 17:32   #40807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I guess you are not familiar with this NICE Road of Bangalore. First of all, it is only 2 lanes each way. It sees a constant stream of truck traffic trying to bypass the city that overtaking as a manoeuvre is often not possible at all - unless you, like some other road users, use the shoulder space to do so. And if you do - be aware that the shoulder terminates abruptly at several locations because of overpasses without interchanges.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 18:32   #40808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Yesterday morning was especially dull and drizzling. The bus driver might have been too busy to notice the trailer parked on the shoulder. More alarming was the way the Honda City and XUV700 crashed behind the bus. In the kind of wet and slippery condition the road was in yesterday, I wonder why people don't maintain safe distance. The City seemed to be a total loss; got sandwiched between the bus and the XUV.
I think the rear fog lamp must be made a mandatory from the government for all vehicles (4 and 6 wheeler) and drivers should use this lamp when there is less visibility.
bobbyblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 18:55   #40809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabstractmind View Post
The more I read about the accidents like the Scorpio on NiCE road, the more numb I become. I feel a sadistic sense of relief that there's one less liability on the society. Unfortunately the leave behind a lot of grief to their families and friends, and strangers who were victims to their arrogance.
Probably I understand what you are trying to say, but can't appreciate it or agree with any feelings apart from sadness on these incidents.My humble thoughts are that people make mistakes and sometimes blunders and at times it is pure ignorance or plain stupidity. Those who made mistakes (or whatever it was) are gone. We, who are left behind and not directly impacted can only learn from such situations and try to make this world a safer place. Remember nobody enters a road with an intent of harming others or even themselves.
SamDiablo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 21:38   #40810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDiablo View Post
Probably I understand what you are trying to say, but can't appreciate it or agree with any feelings apart from sadness on these incidents.My humble thoughts are that people make mistakes and sometimes blunders and at times it is pure ignorance or plain stupidity. Those who made mistakes (or whatever it was) are gone. We, who are left behind and not directly impacted can only learn from such situations and try to make this world a safer place. Remember nobody enters a road with an intent of harming others or even themselves.
You need not agree. And, that's the whole point about. In this age of information, if you believe that someone who got into a mishap of this kind didn't know or intend to put anyone at risk, I'm not sure what can be a bigger fallacy. Sorry, I don't intend to be personal. I only say that most of such accidents happen purely because the driver was overconfident that such a mishap wouldn't happen to him. Especially on NICE road. The intent is inconsequential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I guess you are not familiar with this NICE Road of Bangalore. First of all, it is only 2 lanes each way. It sees a constant stream of truck traffic trying to bypass the city that overtaking as a manoeuvre is often not possible at all - unless you, like some other road users, use the shoulder space to do so. And if you do - be aware that the shoulder terminates abruptly at several locations because of overpasses without interchanges.
I often drive on NICE road. If I wait about 15 or 20 seconds, I can easily overtake that slow truck and still be behind the maniacs who tried to bully their way using that shoulder putting themselves and others in peril.
theabstractmind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 11:58   #40811
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Thanks, I am not aware of the NICE road. My comment was in general practice that I follow.
Old 17th July 2024, 12:55   #40812
Senior - BHPian

Today there was an accident at Flyover at 36 Toyota Showroom in Faridabad. It involved a two-wheeler & the dead body was covered in sheet by the police as the ambulance was struck in traffic. Apparently, the accident happened few (30-60) minutes ago, but what was appalling was the way most riders (yes only the two-wheeler riders again) & autos trying to crisscross the police barriers, barely having any regard to the dead body lying & to the traffic on highway.

I realised much earlier (due to maps) re the traffic buildup & took the service lane than climbing the flyover, but it was sad to see once healthy guy now dead due to error of another driver or maybe self. Did not click pics of the sad scene.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 13:05   #40813
BHPian

My dad's acquaintance met with an accident. Happened today early morning in Hassan. The vehicle in question is Scorpio N Z8 4X4.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20240717wa0010.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20240717wa0009.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20240717wa0008.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20240717wa0007.jpg

Received a few more pics.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20240717wa0018.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20240717wa0017.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20240717wa0016.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20240717wa0015.jpg

Attaching a video link:

A sincere request to all, please avoid night driving especially in rainy and winter seasons. The driver was over-speeding, he missed the concrete divider due to the foggy weather and ended up hitting it. The driver is out of danger, and he is injured superficially

Last edited by Aditya : 17th July 2024 at 19:20. Reason: Merged as requested
Old 17th July 2024, 13:39   #40814
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmanova View Post
My dad's acquaintance met with an accident. Happened today early morning in Hassan. The vehicle in question is Scorpio N Z8 4X4.
Looks like aquaplaned? Hope everybody is safe!
Old 17th July 2024, 13:59   #40815
BHPian

Never thought I would have to narrate my own incident in this thread, but alas, things don't always go as they are planned. Anyway. here it goes.

So yesterday we were travelling towards the Kolkata Airport, cause my mom has her chamber there and I would go to pick my brother from school in Newtown, after dropping her. Our driver was driving at decent speed. However near the crossing of Laketown, a bus after overtaking 2 or some more buses, lined up besides our car. He was in the left lane and we were in the middle lane when the driver gave the hand signal of taking the middle lane. At the same time, a delivery van was trying to overtake us from the right side. Our driver had slowed down the car, when the bus suddenly accelerated, tearing off our left side Orvm.

My driver was incensed, because despite us slowing down, the bus tore apart the mirror. So we gave the bus a chase, and stopped it.

After this the story took a turn for the worse. The bus driver was unfazed after damaging our car, and instead of apologizing, started showing his true colours. He started threatening us, and warned us that he will damage our car more, if we didn't leave his way. Since the intersection is a busy one, the traffic police came to see what the commotion was about. By that time, my Mom and I had also got down from our car. On seeing the police, instead of getting down, the bus driver undertook a dangerous manoeuver of overtaking. I swear by god, that if it wasn't for my mother's quick thinking, we would have been runover by the bus. My mother had got a slight bruise on her leg because a part of the bus had hit her.

The traffic police asked us for the number of the bus, and we gave it to him. He told that he would ask the police at the Keshtopur crossing to flag down the vehicle. In the meanwhile, we contacted an acquaintance of ours, who's an officer at Kolkata Police. He gave us two options. Either we continue chasing the vehicle, or we return to Laketown police station, and file an NCR( No casualty report). Then they would look into the matter. Those who're familiar with the place, will know, that there are two options to go towards the Kolkata Airport from Keshtopur crossing. Either you take the bridge, or you go from the main road below. Usually we take the bridge, but yesterday, we decided to go through the main road, in an effort to catch the culprit bus driver.

After around 10 minutes, we managed to locate the bus, and again gave him the chase. This time we got a close look at it. The bus had no conductor, there was only one female passenger, and the bus driver was driving at reckless speeds. We asked him to slow down and pull over. Instead of doing that, he undertook some dangerous manoeuvres in an effort to lose us, while constantly threatening and hurling abuses at us. After dropping of the passenger, he took a sharp U turn and started going towards Laketown.

We again contacted this police officer, and he asked us to follow the bus and not chase it. He told us that he would try to arrange for a flag down near Laketown, if the bus was travelling in that direction. He however stopped at the bus stand, and got off the bus. We also stopped at the stand. On seeing us he started abusing us, and then tried to reason with us saying that the ORVM is a part which is meant to be broken, our driver was overtaking, there was no police flagging down the vehicle and all those bullshit. Before the matter escalated, a police car which was patrolling nearby, came to the scene. We explained our predicament to them. They, then called the owner of the bus. The guy arrived in a scooter within 5 minutes. We narrated the whole ordeal to this guy.

From now, things took an interesting turn. The bus owner was very polite, had no air of roughness or hotheadedness, like that of his driver. He agreed to to pay for the damages. He asked us to take the car to one of his friends' workshop, where he would repair it free of cost. We refused, and said that we would service it at the Skoda ASC itself. He apologised for the drivers' behaviour. We understood that the drivers' audacity was a bit political as well. First of all, he isn't a regular driver (supposedly), and his regular guy is on holiday. The driver we encountered was a guy who was affiliated to an union of the ruling political party of WB. The owner (supposedly) is forced to hire this guy once a week, or the union will not let his bus ply on the road.

All this resulted in my Mom getting late for her chamber, and my brother having to wait for around half an hour after the dispersal at school

I hope that moron has learnt a lesson yesterday, and would think twice before trying to even drive recklessly.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20240717_101141.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20240717_101134.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20240717_101126.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20240716_153002.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20240716_152957.jpg  

Last edited by libranof1987 : 17th July 2024 at 18:27. Reason: Spacing, typos
Mitadru is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks