Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2024, 17:13   #40786
Team-BHP Support

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
An outrageous yet immensely probable incident when someone pulls up too close to a heavy vehicle and worse, if it backs up.
This happened at a toll plaza in KL
Terribly careless on part of the trucker, they really shouldn't be backing up without the cleaner/co-driver acting as spotter, but the car driver needs to exercise a little more caution for his own safety.

On the road, I usually stop at an offset and leave myself manoeuvring space behind large vehicles so I'm partly visible in their ORVMs (helps to give a quick flash/beep to get their attention too), and the offset position + space gives me a chance to move to avoid them backing or rolling into me.

At tolls, I either avoid lining up behind large vehicles or wait to enter the lane until they're beyond the boom barrier and on their way.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 20:22   #40787
BHPian

Caught on my dashcam this afternoon at Thamarassery Churam (ghat) upward of hairpin 9. Cannot ever understand why “no overtake on turns” is such a difficult concept to grasp. Anyway, seemed like there were no fatalities. Hope the idiot driver of the Alto learnt a lesson!

Start at 0:53

Pequod is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 20:34   #40788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Caught on my dashcam this afternoon at Thamarassery Churam (ghat) upward of hairpin 9. Cannot ever understand why “no overtake on turns” is such a difficult concept to grasp. Anyway, seemed like there were no fatalities. Hope the idiot driver of the Alto learnt a lesson!
Woah that's so close. Alto driver was saved by the barricade on the side, if not he would have been serious danger.

Did the Swift hit the alto or alto overcorrected itself into an accident?
Old 13th July 2024, 20:38   #40789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Woah that's so close. Alto driver was saved by the barricade on the side, if not he would have been serious danger.

Did the Swift hit the alto or alto overcorrected itself into an accident?
Alto was coming out of that blind overtake, saw the Swift zooming up on him, panicked and over corrected. This is what I figured out.

The Swift was also overtaking blindly if you noticed.
Pequod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 07:21   #40790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post
Met with an accident on my Carens last Wednesday. It happened right after the Bazullah Road Signal in North Usman Road. An auto parked on the left side suddenly decided to cut right onto the main road. Left Rear Door and Rear Fender got scratched very badly. The auto guy ran away knowing it was his mistake. Noted down the auto number just in case.
It is surprising to see that you don't see your mistake in this entire incident. You are easily overtaking all the other cars on road, don't you think they are going slower for a reason? Legally you may be correct. But you have thrown all the defensive driving techniques to the wind. If you were defensive, you would go slower on left lanes, as there are more uncertainties. If you were defensive, you would have given space for others to make mistakes. In this case maintained a good 2 feet between both while you crossed the auto. In a city with thousands of vehicles parked and moving, it is essential to follow safe driving!
Raghuwire is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 17:59   #40791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
Sorry for your loss.

For trained drivers, presence of mind and alertness come in handy-
True, and experience too.

There is a sharp left hand turn on the Surjakund - shooting range road following a not so steep but steepish descent. Poorly maintained trucks filled with illegally mined stuff used to race down these roads in an attempt to deliver stuff during their "entry" (predetermined period of time for which cops turn a blind eye) Some of these used to topple on cars coming from delhi climbing up the same gradient.

I used to keep an eye out for such trucks before taking the bend on the road and have been saved more than a few times.

regards kaps454
kaps454 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 17:17   #40792
BHPian

Chain accident near Basapura, Nice road, Bangalore. Leaves 1 dead.

https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...raffic-3105793
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 17:59   #40793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Chain accident near Basapura, Nice road, Bangalore. Leaves 1 dead.

https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...raffic-3105793
Looking at the photos, it looks like the vehicles involved were doing the usual overtake from the left lane seen on NICE road. This always has been an accident in the waiting, especially in low visibility condition.
Although in this case the time of accident is stated as 9AM, so visibility could not have been the cause.
whitewing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 18:17   #40794
BHPian

Another accident on NICE? Report states this is a head on collision

https://x.com/TOIBengaluru/status/1812815844159979560
Old 15th July 2024, 18:57   #40795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Looking at the photos, it looks like the vehicles involved were doing the usual overtake from the left lane seen on NICE road. This always has been an accident in the waiting, especially in low visibility condition.
Although in this case the time of accident is stated as 9AM, so visibility could not have been the cause.
Exactly. Needs an upgrade, needs atleast another lane and strict punishment for people hogging fast lanes or shoulders.

The STRR is 4 lane in multiple places too, but as of now, they don't see the city traffic that NICE sees. Hoping STRR doesn't go the same way as NICE in some years.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 20:18   #40796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverLess View Post
Another accident on NICE? Report states this is a head on collision

https://x.com/TOIBengaluru/status/1812815844159979560
More details here. Scorpio collided with divider, jumped on to the incoming traffic and collided with XUV700

https://news24online.com/india/benga...e-road/307598/

https://x.com/sirajnoorani/status/18...U73klKGvg&s=19
SamDiablo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 20:27   #40797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Since today morning it has been raining in and around Electronic City and on NICE road, so visibility might have been a factor. But you are right, everytime I travel on the NICE road, keep thinking how come no accidents, there are so many potential situations. People overtaking at high speed from left shoulder, in general triple digit speeds, bikers on left lanes and on shoulder moving at much lower speed, slow moving vehicles on right lane, people stopping and parking their cars on shoulder for sight seeing, selfie or bio breaks, people using it as a race track, no awareness or respect for merging traffic across various entry points and especially this season slippery roads due to rain and sometimes light sludge.

Last edited by SamDiablo : 15th July 2024 at 20:29.
SamDiablo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 21:57   #40798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDiablo View Post
Scorpio collided with divider, jumped on to the incoming traffic and collided with XUV700
This is very unfortunate event for the people in the XUV700. I regularly travel on the Bengaluru Mysuru expressway and one of my fears is that speeding vehicles might jump the divider and collide with oncoming traffic. And, lot of people drive fast and cut lanes on this road. People should drive carefully especially in the rainy season so that they do not kill others on the road.

Based on the below reported news that a group of three young men from Ramnagar were traveling to Goa via Bengaluru in a Scorpio car. The accident happened when the high-speed Scorpio collided with the divider. Due to the wet road conditions from the rain, the speeding Scorpio lost control and crashed into the divider, subsequently colliding with an oncoming XUV700. The three occupants of the Scorpio were killed instantly. And, people traveling in the XUV were also injured but are now reported to be out of danger. It's good hear that people in the XUV700 were out of danger at least.

https://news24online.com/india/benga...e-road/307598/

Last edited by TurboTorque : 15th July 2024 at 22:10.
TurboTorque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 09:45   #40799
Senior - BHPian

I saw the Scorpio and the 7OO during my evening drive home. It was painful to see a Scorpio destroyed. When I saw both the cars, my immediate reaction was that one of the cars jumped over from the other side. And I thought that it would have happened an hour or so prior to my crossing that place.

The place where this took place has a gradient. The Scorpio was on the downward slope. Wet roads, pouring rains and speed, all came together I guess.

The accident site was a pain to watch. Once I crossed I literally took a minute or so to gain composure to continue driving. The 7OO folks would have never expected such a thing to happen.

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th July 2024 at 14:55. Reason: Minor typo correction
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 09:59   #40800
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post

The place where this took place has a gradient. The Scorpio was on the downward slope. Wet roads, pouring rains and speed, all came together, I guess.
Scorpio was going towards PES exit from Sompura side. So, it was on a flat stretch of arrow straight road. It jumped the divider and hit the XUV7OO travelling towards Sompura which was also on flat stretch of road following the down gradient.

Not sure when the accident happened. May have happened around 4.30PM. There was lot of police personnel and an ambulance when I passed that area around 5.45PM yesterday.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed