Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2718.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI (Post 5796596)
An outrageous yet immensely probable incident when someone pulls up too close to a heavy vehicle and worse, if it backs up.
This happened at a toll plaza in KL

A basic rule that I always follow is, if there is a heavy vehicle (a bus or truck) either in front of me or behind me on the road, I become extremely alert and careful for multitude of reasons.
1. The truck driver could see me or cannot see me on my motorcycle, while perched high up in his cabin. The cross section of a 2 wheeler is so narrow that it can miss the eyes and attention of a truck / bus driver. That's why bright helmet and reflective jacket are recommended for 2 wheeler riders.
2. Heavy vehicles brakes are not as sharp as the LMVs and I have noticed that they tend to fail more often than on LMVs and due to their heavy load the trucks take time to come to a halt and traverse a considerable distance before they stop. That's not a good / safe thing for a vehicle in front of the truck.
3. Their blind spot is much larger than that of a smaller vehicle. So if you are on the side of a truck, the chances are that you are invisible to the truck driver.
4. As a truck driver is continuosly on the road, he could be relatively more fatigued. He could also be a bit careless as he is 24X7 on road and perceives himself as " seen it all. been there. Done that. I am good".

So, I become cautious when I see a heavy vehicle in my RVM and also when I see a heavy vehicle trudging in front of me. If it's a speeding bus behind me, I just quickly and safely move to the side and give way or in the city traffic, I tend to overtake some other 2 wheeler / 4 wheeler and maintain a buffer between the heavy vehicle and my vehicle. I always endeavour to maintain a buffer vehicle between the heavy vehicle and me, just in case.

In city traffic, I dont overtake the slow moving bus/ truck in front of me and I dont know if some rider / pederstrain is hurrying across in front of the bus/truck. I have seen enough gory accidents just because some one rushed past a bus and there was another 2 wheeler cutting across the bus and attempting to join the oncoming lane and bham! crash and injury/ death.

Bottom Line: around heavy vehicles - Be extra cautious, alert and very safe and no shenanigans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashkamath (Post 5796762)
Bottom Line: around heavy vehicles - Be extra cautious, alert and very safe and no shenanigans.

Completely agree with all the warnings and precautions. I'd also add that it is always a good idea to not stop so close behind another vehicle that one cannot turn and pass it. The driver may stall, suddenly decide to turn right, and many other etcs.

A bus carrying pilgrims suffered brake failure in Ramban, but was lucky to have presence of Armed forces and Police nearby.
There are injuries reported as people tried to get off the moving bus, but the quick thinking police and Army personals along with the bus driver managed to get the bus in control averting a major tragedy.

https://x.com/Gagan4344/status/1808176548240863548

A very unfortunate and bad event happened today my junior lost his life in an accident in Shimoga. Based on the info that I got, he left home after lunch to pick up his wife and kid from Hubli and he met with an accident on the outskirts of Shimoga where a speedy bus lost control in a curve and fell on this car. Very sad.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20240703-20.33.22-2.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20240703-20.33.22-3.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20240703-20.33.22-1.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20240703-20.33.22.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20240703-20.35.00.jpeg

People should drive carefully especially in the rainy season and avoid taking risky overtakes and rash driving. Drive responsibly. An accident like this can destroy an entire family.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboTorque (Post 5797032)
People should drive carefully especially in the rainy season and avoid taking risky overtakes and rash driving. Drive responsibly. An accident like this can destroy an entire family.

I am deeply sorry for your loss.

We are a nation where human life has little to no value. people die like withering leaves here and for no fault of theirs.

I appreciate your advice, but other than some T-Bhp members, the majority wouldn't even know of this accident, let alone take any corrective safety measures. Such is life

Another life snuffed out, some one's mistake, some one pays the price.

Life goes on sir, accidents continue to happen, and we pour our obituaries and move on. Only the family that lost their own will know the pain and suffering that follows. (I am one of such unfortunate family where I had the misfortune to see the demise of my brother, sister and my uncle in an accident)

As I say, life goes on, people wil never learn until it hits their home.

Take care and stay safe. It is a very dangerous world out there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboTorque (Post 5797032)
A very unfortunate and bad event happened today my junior lost his life in an accident in Shimoga.

Sorry for your loss. May his soul RIP.
Looks like a type 1 Ertiga in the photos, Such tragic news serves as a stark reminder of how abruptly life can come to an end. The sheer weight and unscientific design of larger vehicles can overwhelm all safety mechanisms in cars. Most bus bodybuilders are skilled welders and fitters, they would not know how Centre of Gravity gets messed with wild additions of L-angle roads everywhere. Bus operators prefer a heavy body so that they can overload on the roof and do all the antics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI (Post 5796596)
An outrageous yet immensely probable incident when someone pulls up too close to a heavy vehicle and worse if it backs up.
This happened at a toll plaza in KL

This video just added another fear to my existing list of fears while driving on the road. Toll Plaza and the truck combo are always risky and in this case, KWID would have had a hit even if he had maintained a 10-foot distance.

Pure negligence by the truck driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashkamath (Post 5796762)

To add,

1. Couple of small bursts of horn whenever I am overtaking a truck, just to notify the truck driver that I am in his blind spot so that he does not switch lanes.

2. Also, not to be parallel to a truck, I have firsthand seen a tyre blast of a truck on highway from close distance and the amount of energy and noise during the blast is enough to make any two-wheeler next to the truck to lose control! So either be behind the truck/bus at safe distance or swiftly complete the overtake and pull a few truck lengths ahead of the truck.

Overtaking on a curve next to overloaded truck/Container is too risky. better to allow them to complete the curve. saw a container accident recently near Pune Luckly no one was near it but it could have been a nightmare.

Part of a flyover concrete slab fell on a moving car in Andheri East on Western Express Highway just yesterday.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1720120043386.jpg

Driver escaped with minor injuries. Had the slab fallen on the roof of the car it would've been fatal.

This looks so scary. Looks straight out of the famous Hollywood Franchise, Final Destination.

Looks like a test drive car from Skoda, maybe Kushaq.

Image Source: https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...120087834.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin_v8 (Post 5797836)
Part of a flyover concrete slab fell on a moving car in Andheri East on Western Express Highway just yesterday. Driver escaped with minor injuries.

One of my fears about driving under a constructing or constructed flyover/metro line is that something might fall on the car/bike. I always consciously take the leftmost line but you can’t take leftmost line all the time. Luckily no one was injured in the above accident.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin_v8 (Post 5797836)
Part of a flyover concrete slab fell on a moving car in Andheri East on Western Express Highway just yesterday.

Image Source: https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...120087834.html

“The bridge is old. We have asked the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) to submit a report based on a structural audit to ascertain if there was any negligence,”

First action should be to seal off the area to prevent any further such incident. Audit may take months and then action over there, years
If one slab has fallen, there must be other weak parts too, near or far.

BTW why another audit needed

On June 24, HT had reported how the Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute (VJTI) had informed the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) in an audit report in April that the superstructure of the flyover was in a precarious condition and needed urgent repairs.

There is no priority for citizen's well being. :disappointed

This horrific accident happened couple days ago at Kannur, Kerala. A lady walking by the side of the road is hit & flung far away by a Swift driven at high speed & recklessly by a guy working at a police station. Looks like driver deliberately did it or was drunk.
What’s the point of sending rovers to moon & mars if we can’t have basic road infrastructure in place like pavements, drains, good roads etc
https://www.facebook.com/share/r/Gs3...ibextid=xCPwDs

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathlal (Post 5796926)
A bus carrying pilgrims suffered brake failure in Ramban, but was lucky to have presence of Armed forces and Police nearby.
There are injuries reported as people tried to get off the moving bus, but the quick thinking police and Army personals along with the bus driver managed to get the bus in control averting a major tragedy.

Another angle which shows the rescuers running alongside, catching up with the bus and successfully able to slow it down to a slope.

https://youtu.be/lCgknMW2sZo

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathlal (Post 5798133)
Another angle which shows the rescuers running alongside, catching up with the bus and successfully able to slow it down to a slope.

https://youtu.be/lCgknMW2sZo

While visuals can be deceptive, it seems like the driver is prioritizing any damage to the bus over the safety of himself and the passengers.
He could have moved to the left side of the road much sooner. The way passengers are able to safely exit, it doesn't look like the speed was too high for such a maneuver (unless he was worried about crushing the passengers trying to get down). All in all, not the best way it was handled.

https://youtube.com/shorts/-xtx19MWC...OO5ikhuyeRd1jX

I witnessed an accident scenario that unfolded right in front of me and managed to capture the incident on my car's dashcam. As I approached a T-junction, an Activa scooter and an i20 car were making their way onto the main road from a smaller side road.

Suddenly, I noticed the i20 car hurtling toward us at a high speed. For a moment, I feared that the car might collide with me, but to my surprise, it failed to brake and crashed into the Activa scooter in front of me.

Following the impact, the driver of the i20 fled the scene, accelerating away at full speed. I pulled over to the side of the road and rushed to assist the individuals on the Activa. I found that the scooter's tail light was broken, and there were some scratches on it. Additionally, the Activa rider had sustained minor abrasions.

I offered my support to the Activa riders and suggested filing a police report if they wished. I also showed them the footage captured by my dashcam and assured them that I would share the video with them via WhatsApp.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20240706_114818.jpg

The Activa riders mentioned that the i20 driver had been driving recklessly even before the accident. They emphasized that the driver of the i20 was at fault and should have stopped to render assistance instead of fleeing the scene.