Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2717.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by KumarS (Post 5795146)
I equally blame the drive behind of Kushaq, ...it appeared to be normal traffic situation of abrupt braking.

.... seems driver behind was distracted while holding coffee in one hand and using only one hand in dense traffic.
Also, at last moment cars seems to be accelerating rather than slowing down.

In this case, there was a sudden situation in front which needed your car to brake which it did in time and avoided an impact. However it paid the price by getting rear ended.

In typical bumper to bumper traffic at slightly higher speeds, the vehicles trailing behind typically do not maintain safe distance.
- As long as your driving actions are smooth (slow acceleration, slow braking, no abrupt lane changes), you can hope for lower chances of getting bumped from behind.

- However during emergency/abrupt braking situations like in your case, the drivers/riders behind are usually taken off-guard as they are either not attentive to sudden changes in front of them or are distracted by either mobile/coffee/gossip/fiddling with ICE or have low reaction time(due to inadequate safe distance in front of them).
So the chances of getting rear ended becomes significantly higher (and expected on our roads).

One effective way to reduce the chances of getting rear ended is to try alerting the driver behind by means available to us whenever we can anticipate needing abrupt maneouvres.
- Sounding the horn is effective to an extent.
- A more effective way is to press the hazard lights before we have the need to brake abruptly (due to the traffic situation in front).
- Although not always practically feasible on our bumper to bumper traffic, maintaining an additional gap in front to account for the no gap behind us and using that gap to brake gradually is another way to account for other's mistakes (lesser gap behind).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi (Post 5795718)
Couple of points.

4. With in the city, atleast in such narrow roads, consider not over taking. Just go with the flow to be on safer side.

It could've been worse, imagine some idiot jumping on to road out of the auto, you've no room to react. Our cities are full of such situations.

4. The very purpose of erecting concrete median on city roads is to let the flow of traffic in one way. On such roads it’s is perfectly acceptable to drive two abreast, provided both can pass. It is a fact that the auto driver launched his vehicle without looking into the rear view mirror.

That’s why we term such incidents as accidents. One cannot heap the onus on a vehicle merely because that vehicle driver drives on a road and people without an iota of road sense decide to do crazy things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by for_cars1 (Post 5795909)
- Although not always practically feasible on our bumper to bumper traffic, maintaining an additional gap in front to account for the no gap behind us and using that gap to brake gradually is another way to account for other's mistakes (lesser gap behind).

This is really a good way to avoid such situations. However, I can imagine honking from behind if the driver sees gap (unnecessary, in their opinion) between vehicles and the look the driver will give when they overtake. :Frustrati

A lovely PMT bus decided to smack my 6 month old Honda City's rear end. I was patiently waiting at Wagholi Chowk, Pune for the signal to turn green. An as usual impatient PMT bus decided to squeeze in between the tiny gap beside my car and an auto and turn left. Bus's rear end scrapped my car's rear left. Fortunately the damage isn't much as my senses tingled while the bus started turning left and I moved my car a little ahead. I couldn't move further as traffic police was standing right in front of me.
Dropped my car at HONDA A.S.S. A.S.S quoted ₹24K and 5 days for the repairs. I'll be paying ₹1600 from my pocket for zerodep claim charges and consumables. Rest is from ICICI.

The art :

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20240702-11.52.02-am.jpeg

The artist :

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20240702-11.52.02-am1.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 5794225)
Why should this "jeopardize lives of people" (at par with all the other things mentioned)?

Couple of weeks back, I personally witnessed a young gentleman behind the wheel, all alone on a noon day right in front of me holding a lunchbox on his left hand and driving with one hand in the middle of the service lane (opposite Baptist Hospital, Bangalore), which is usually a busy stretch.
1. He was not following a lane
2. Slower than the rest of the traffic and
3. Was drifting to the right, when I attempted to overtake.

On another occasion, found a lady peacefully munching her breakfast while waiting at the signal (@Vivekanand Road, Bangalore). Everyone else rushed forward when the signal turned 'Green', while the traffic behind her was desperately honking to bring her back to senses.

Generally two tasks while at the wheel should never be an option/choice for a responsible driver. The below incident reported by Kumar stands testimony to this growing trend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KumarS (Post 5795146)
seems driver behind was distracted while holding coffee in one hand and using only one hand in dense traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0y98jKdlPw

Took delivery of the car today. Felt so happy to see it back in shape. The workshop had done good work. They replaced the plastic claddings as well.

Quote:

2. Auto lights are visible from far, so there is a chance that driver is in the Auto and we should've known this little early, move towards little right? May be give him few more inches buffer.

Actually, I did move a little right towards the WagonR the moment I noticed the Auto from distance.

Quote:

3. I think it is a narrow street to overtake from left side of that white car or atleast camera angle make me think so.
4. With in the city, atleast in such narrow roads, consider not over taking. Just go with the flow to be on safer side.

Actually, this is a 4-lane road with a center median. The traffic always flows in 2 lanes in one direction. There is ample amount of space. Probably the camera angle is giving a perception as the road being narrow.

Quote:

It could've been worse, imagine some idiot jumping on to road out of the auto, you've no room to react. Our cities are full of such situations.

That would have been scary scenario. Fortunately, in Chennai almost all the autos have the entry and exit opening only on the left side. Some of the new autos have door that can be opened on both sides. On top of that, I could see through the rear glass panel of the auto that there was no one in the rear seat of that auto.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lejhoom (Post 5795947)
4. The very purpose of erecting concrete median on city roads is to let the flow of traffic in one way. On such roads it’s is perfectly acceptable to drive two abreast, provided both can pass. It is a fact that the auto driver launched his vehicle without looking into the rear view mirror.

Very true about the road and the Auto driver. North Usman Road is pretty wide for 4 lanes of traffic especially around the Bazullah road signal. The Auto driver completed missed to see the oncoming vehicle and tried to merge with the ongoing traffic. In fact, till the moment the front half of my car crossed the auto, I kept a very close eye on it to be ready for any untoward and sudden movement from the Auto. But the moment the front half crossed, he suddenly veered right and hit my car.

Bikers rear ended by a carless Seltos driver, clearly the driver of the Seltos was not paying any attention to the road.
https://x.com/Prateek34381357/status...00256717647901

Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71 (Post 5796303)
Bikers rear ended by a carless Seltos driver, clearly the driver of the Seltos was not paying any attention to the road.
https://x.com/Prateek34381357/status...00256717647901

That was terrifying! Glad the bikers are safe. Although a full face helmet would have been preferred here ,but nonetheless. With growing vehicle population, the number of stupid drivers is also on rise. And people who drive while using mobile phones is also on rise. Even my cousin seems to be using his mobile instead of Bluetooth and I gave him an earful about his stupidity.

What is the need to check mobile phone even when one is driving? It is baffling. :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcentrk (Post 5796396)
That was terrifying! Although a full face helmet would have been preferred here ,but nonetheless. With growing vehicle population, the number of stupid drivers is also on rise.

Earlier today, I was riding in South Goa to a fishing jetty for survey and as I rode about 45-50 Kms, I noticed that almost 95% of the riders didn't wear helmets and those who wore the helmet, more than 50% didnt bother to strap their helmet. These are interior roads where policing is minimum.

I must have seen atleast some 60-70 riders easily who didn't wear helmets and I was really aghast. I never sit on my motorcycle without a helmet snugly strapped ON. I wear my helmet and strap it ON even if I have to go 500 meters to get some bread or milk.

So, people don't care. They are not bothered. Most of the riders never wear helmet. I saw a few with the helmet dangling on the back of their scooters and I was like " why cant you just wear it for your own safety?"

We, Indians have no value for life, we dont care for anything, we are the country with maximum accidents and fatialities and I know the reason. We simply dont care to be safe.

I have no hope in the indian drivers/ riders who have an aversion / disdain to follow the safety rules and regulations, he/she also thinks that accidents happen to others and noth him/her and some end up injured/dead.

Anyways, Indian driver / rider wants to commit wilful harakiri. who are we to stop them. So be it.

Quote:

What is the need to check mobile phone even when one is driving? It is baffling. :Frustrati

Thank you for giving an earful to your cousin. There is absolutely ZERO excuse to check the phone while driving/riding.

If it wasn’t for the decorum of this forum, I’d have loved to share the kind of treatment this kind of tomfoolery deserves. Honestly, checking phone while driving has become such a big pandemic. Horrible!

Quote:

Although a full face helmet would have been preferred here ,but nonetheless.

Agree. To add to what you said, a helmet that is not strapped snug is no good. People wear helmets to satisfy the cops, as a hat for sunlight, etc and forget the primary reason why a helmet is needed. A loose helmet (incorrect size) is also no good as it is not able to direct the forces in an accident to the designed area. It may end up breaking the neck if it moves all over the place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashkamath (Post 5795057)
As far as I am aware, an FIR is not absolutely necessary for lodging an Insurance Claim.
If you haven't been asked to submit a police report then you may deem it not necessary for the subject claim.

My insurance claim has been settled without any CSR/FIR. And very fast too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by krishnakumar (Post 5796428)
There is absolutely ZERO excuse to check the phone while driving/riding.

This is absolutely must. I thank technology here, The iPhone has a feature of "Focus", while driving it gets activated and all calls/notifications/texts gets muted automatically. Hence zero distraction while driving. Infact even if you are a passenger it gets activated and have to swipe up for "I'm not driving" lol:

However, initially (one time) have to activate it for driving.

An outrageous yet immensely probable incident when someone pulls up too close to a heavy vehicle and worse, if it backs up.
This happened at a toll plaza in KL

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI (Post 5796596)
An outrageous yet immensely probable incident
This happened at a toll plaza in KL

Very true, with no other vehicle in queue behind, a 10 feet gap would have given a chance for the Kwid to back-off swiftly (provided the Driver was attentive to the scene unfolding in front of him and the awareness of the prevailing traffic conditions behind him). The truck driver is equally or even more responsible for his arrogant behavior and not being equipped with a working rear-view cam or sensors (might be a standard fitment for it's class - not sure).

The Kwid'er likely inattentive as for the first few seconds it has a free push backwards (probably the clutch was floored) and when he applied the breaks (hoping to challenge his tiny tot against the mammoth beast), the little one gave of its straight-line free stroll backwards. :)