Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2713.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruskinash (Post 5792239)
Whoa! I only realized it was a Scorpio after reading the title. I had mistaken it for a Wagon R until then.

Exactly. I had seen this few days back and thought it was a WagonR. Now I see the similarity between them. :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by electric_eel (Post 5792938)
1. Consider the situation where the highway is nearly full and you happen to be in the right lane. In such situations just because you are not overtaking (the entire traffic is at roughly the same speed) it does not mean one should move over to the left lane.

I'm sorry but if the traffic is nearly at the same speed and you decide to cruise alongside another car at the same speed, you're both a "blockage". If you're in the right most lane and driving at exactly the same speed as the car next to you its better to either decelerate and drop behind him or briefly accelerate and overtake that car and move in ahead of him.

Three vehicles at the same or very similar speed across three lanes alongside is absolutely a pain!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe77 (Post 5793041)
Three vehicles at the same or very similar speed across three lanes alongside is absolutely a pain!!

Oh, tell me about it! Once, while driving on the MPE, all three lanes were hogged by cabs doing 80 kmph. Stayed behind for more than a minute, all the while people overtook them from the shoulder lane. Had enough and gave horn to each car, but still none moved! Eventually ran out of patience and blasted horn continuously; the cab passengers started looking back as if I were the maniac. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gennex (Post 5792226)
https://youtu.be/mOyoUa-5bRM?feature=shared

This is a case of stupidity. A bunch of attention seeking young people have taken those two jeeps deep into waters to have a good reel for their social media which turned out to be a social problem. Retrieved with the help of locals using a tractor.

Wonder whether they confused their Thars with a hovercraft!. The white Thar may still make it. The Red Thar looks to me that the engine may have water intake and in that case its as good as dead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by electric_eel (Post 5792938)
1. Consider the situation where the highway is nearly full and you happen to be in the right lane. In such situations just because you are not overtaking (the entire traffic is at roughly the same speed) it does not mean one should move over to the left lane.

Fast lane in an expressway or highway is to be used only for passing. It's not intended for cruising. This holds true even if it's just a 2 lane (in one way) highway.

Quote:

I'm sorry but if the traffic is nearly at the same speed and you decide to cruise alongside another car at the same speed, you're both a "blockage". If you're in the right most lane and driving at exactly the same speed as the car next to you its better to either decelerate and drop behind him or briefly accelerate and overtake that car and move in ahead of him.

Absolutely :thumbs up

What I understood over a period of time is, it's very difficult for people's perception to change. Those who believe slow is right, will never acknowledge the fact that it's indeed those 'slow' vehicles hogging multiple lanes that causes other vehicles to take risks and cause accidents. Same with the other group. Fast lane does not mean going at 150 kmph on a 100 kmph stretch.

Wishful thinking: Hope everyone be considerate to others while driving and not just think about themselves.

Quote:

As you rightly pointed out that is not good lane discipline, neither am I recommending that. But when the highway is nearly full there is not much one can do in terms of moving to the left. If you are in the right lane, unless you want to exit out, you will be doing more harm than good trying to move into the left lane in such a situation.

The larger point I am making is lane discipline is more nuanced and cannot be reduced to "always get to the left" or "leave the right lane completely free". The main point is to cooperate to maintain highest traffic flow keeping safety in mind. In the video that I was commenting to, Scorpio is clearly doing wrong and looking at the way he is driving I would not expect him to be nuanced enough to think about lanes. The other cars at least are at sane speeds and did a remarkable job of not getting into trouble. They might still be bad at lane discipline but one cannot judge that by this clip alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish (Post 5791655)
This incident occurred in Gandhinagar, Gujarat, where a high-speed ScorpioN made an aggressive lane change and collided with a concrete barrier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashkamath (Post 5791863)
It's visible that the Scorpio was rolling as it overtook the car in the middle lane and the driver corrected and re-corrected only to hit the concrete barrier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy (Post 5791876)
he forgot the real daddy: Physics! You can’t go against it or defy it. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 5791995)
Present tense
PS - Perfect example of Elk Test (failed)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe77 (Post 5792849)
Of course this doesn’t take away the fact that the Scorpio was still at fault for pulling off that manoeuvre in the way he did it. People really must understand the dynamic limitations of their vehicles - specially when driving tall, high CG SUVs.

Base model without ESP, that's a big why!

Still the correction was too quick, then the recorrection (in vain), another failed attempt to recorrect and finally the concrete barrier.

The rule, if followed strictly, would seem to suggest that almost everybody should be using the left hand lane only. I don't think that this is what is meant to happen. When the highway is full of traffic, I agree that it should be using the whole road capacity. The person who wants to be faster than everybody else cannot then overtake. He has to put up with that.

I also agree that the left lane might be dangerous to follow blindly even on an empty highway. Unless one can truly see that there is no hidden danger such as pedestrian, animal or vehicle coming from behind a bush, it would be safer to be one lane away from such potential dangers.

The rules are the the basic structure. Within that, we should drive with regard to safety, common sense, and consideration for others. None of that can be seen in the antics of the driver who gave rise to this conversation.

Quote:

Fast lane in an expressway or highway is to be used only for passing. It's not intended for cruising. This holds true even if it's just a 2 lane (in one way) highway.
In the interest of discussion. reserving fast lanes for over taking makes sense for an Autobahn where speed limit does not exist. In Indian scenario where speed limits exist, a better alternative is to designate lanes with a min and max speed.

For instance, in a 3 lane highway with a max speed of 100 kmph, left most lane could have a limit of up to 60kmph, middle lane 60-80 kmph and outer lane 80 to 100 kmph. Now if I am driving at 50 kmph, I use the leftmost lane and use the middle lane only for overtaking. If I am traveling at 90 kmph I still use the rightmost lane but give way for a vehicle faster than me by moving to the middle lane. If I am driving at 100 kmph, then I use the rightmost lane and can give way for someone traveling faster out of goodwill because the driver is breaking the law.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NT_GT (Post 5793118)
Base model without ESP, that's a big why!

Still the correction was too quick, then the recorrection (in vain), another failed attempt to recorrect and finally the concrete barrier.

One more fault was aggressive steering input which caused excessive weight transfer initiating the loss of control, add the aggressive over-correction which amplifies things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish (Post 5791655)
This incident occurred in Gandhinagar, Gujarat, where a high-speed ScorpioN made an aggressive lane change and collided with a concrete barrier.

Drivers should be aware of their vehicle's limitations.

It seems to be the base variant Z2. Electronic Stability Control (ESC) is a must-have feature for tall and heavy SUVs. Of course, always understand the vehicle's limitations. Drive Safe!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 5793134)
The rule, if followed strictly, would seem to suggest that almost everybody should be using the left hand lane only. I don't think that this is what is meant to happen.

I guess this rule assumes that everyone is traveling at or just slightly below the speed limit in the middle lane, similar to practices in the US. In such a scenario, cars would maintain sufficient distance between each other, resulting in minimal congestion. However, this is not the case in India, where congestion or cars moving significantly below the speed limit cause all vehicles to drive closely together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeprevving (Post 5793152)
It seems to be the base variant Z2. Electronic Stability Control (ESC) is a must-have feature for tall and heavy SUVs.

Mahindra seems to be prominently producing non-ESP variants, even in the Z4 variant. My cousin had booked the Z2 ESP, but after waiting for several months without receiving a car, he accepted a non-ESP Z4 variant. He didn't get ESP in either the Z2 or Z4. I believe this is because buyers also prefer the non-ESP variant to save 18-20K Rs, thus perpetuating the cycle.

Iron tool flies off truck, kills hotelier on walk in Mumbai. Asrani was walking by the roadside and he was hit by a heavy iron cast that fell on his head after dislodging from a large vehicle after it hit a tree, killing him instantly. Very sad and unfortunate incident.

Source: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../111241937.cms

I think we frequently see these kinds of incidents in our country due to the lack of secure loading and transporting. These incidents can be avoided if government authorities implement strict measures. Authorities should ensure that heavy and dangerous materials are securely loaded and transported on vehicles, which is crucial. Owners and drivers should use proper securing mechanisms such as straps, nets, or cages to prevent items from dislodging during transit.

The government should create a portal where people can report instances of unsafe transport practices, ensuring corrective action is taken before such accidents occur.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboTorque (Post 5793272)
The government should create a portal where people can report instances of unsafe transport practices, ensuring corrective action is taken before such accidents occur.

The database would be full in no time and people would forget it.
Any portal without a well defined end to end process is just like a memory dump.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboTorque (Post 5793272)
Iron tool flies off truck, kills hotelier on walk in Mumbai. Asrani was walking by the roadside and he was hit by a heavy iron cast that fell on his head after dislodging from a large vehicle after it hit a tree, killing him instantly. Very sad and unfortunate incident.

Source: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../111241937.cms

I think we frequently see these kinds of incidents in our country due to the lack of secure loading and transporting. These incidents can be avoided if government authorities implement strict measures. Authorities should ensure that heavy and dangerous materials are securely loaded and transported on vehicles, which is crucial. Owners and drivers should use proper securing mechanisms such as straps, nets, or cages to prevent items from dislodging during transit.

Would help if they held constant drives where they check trucks or light goods vehicles to ensure there is nothing poking out the back, that there are proper under-runs and goods are secured properly. They seem to have enough time and man power to check everyone’s seatbelts and helmets after all.