Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2024, 20:05   #40651
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Two small incidents happened in my life in the last 2 days

I read about something known as “risk homeostasis”—our tendency, once we’re safer, to take more risks. (Bicyclists who wear helmets, for example, tend to ride closer to cars than those who don’t).
There is something called as "risk assessment" which means thinking about all the things that can go wrong with whatever is being done either by an individual or a team or even a machine which will be put for any job.

Once you know all the things that can go wrong, you can decide the barriers or alternate ways to do the same thing to reduce either the probability of something going wrong or the damage that will be done.

In a case where there is risk to life without proper safeguards no one should proceed.

Driving is only to be learned with an instructor on a vehicle which has parallel controls for controlling the vehicle with the instructor. This will reduce the probability of accident but not completely remove it, because the instructor can get distracted, he may not be competent etc are the factors which are beyond an individuals control, so a calculated and minimum risk is what allows to proceed with what you want to do.

Some people have high risk apetite, and some are completely ignorant about the hazards, those are the ones who do suffer serious consequences.

So always think what can go wrong, if danger to life is present and if you have low risk apetite even for small financial losses. Distraction is a very serious hazard where machinary, flammable or explosive materials are involved.

Working in kitchen or cooking is also a very risky job, but 90% of the people are ignorant and take it very easy.

So think :

1. What can go wrong,
2. How can you prevent things from going wrong,
3. What can you do if things actually go wrong

This will help reduce the probabilty of things going wrong and reduce the severity of the consequences.

Cheers
Brumby is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2024, 20:58   #40652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post

So think :

1. What can go wrong,
2. How can you prevent things from going wrong,
3. What can you do if things actually go wrong

This will help reduce the probabilty of things going wrong and reduce the severity of the consequences.
Yes Sir. You have put it across very eloquently. Well said.
ashkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2024, 23:02   #40653
Distinguished - BHPian

No accident is really an "accident." The word makes it look as if it was not caused, or prevented. Every accident has a history.

We do not intend to have accidents, but we may very well fail to prevent them. One or more party to the accident made a mistake, did something wrong or failed to do something right. Unless the earth opens up or debris falls from the sky, it is not really an accident.

I wish we did not use the word in this way, but I think it is firmly embedded in every version of English. Was that an accident?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2024, 11:57   #40654
BHPian

Old safari crash at the Hyd ORR exit...been there for a few weeks now. NOt sure about what happened but looks like it flipped over.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-saf-crash-1.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-saf-crash-2.jpeg  

bigben is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2024, 17:22   #40655
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Looks straight of a movie shooting. Horrible landing on the deceased.
VIEWER DISCRETION

https://twitter.com/Prateek34381357/...zKKUns1GQ&s=19
Old 23rd June 2024, 18:42   #40656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
VIEWER DISCRETION
Cant find words to describe my feelings after watching that video. Two innocent lives lost, just like that in a matter of seconds, for absolutely no fault of theirs.

And then to read that the driver was released by police, just boiled my blood
GTX+ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2024, 19:33   #40657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VIEWER DISCRETION
Oh Man!

Just speechless watching that video. I mean, what a way to leave this world. For no fault of yours other than just being there :(
deathwalkr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 11:15   #40658
BHPian

This incident occurred in Gandhinagar, Gujarat, where a high-speed ScorpioN made an aggressive lane change and collided with a concrete barrier.

Watch the video here:

Drivers should be aware of their vehicle's limitations.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 11:22   #40659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous guy View Post
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8Zca...NlZDc0MzIxNw==

Just saw this accident, the driver seems to have slept and crashed
More the reason why we need this along the shoulders to alert such drivers. This will also prevent overtaking from the hard shoulders to some extent
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-rumblestrip_closeup_web2.jpg  

Sam.k is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 11:23   #40660
BHPian

Quote:
Horrible! How can anyone be safe with these kind of morons on road driving
Two lives perished for no fault of theirs. Makes me sick to know that the murderers were released without action!

What sort of world are we living in.
dvr08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 12:55   #40661
BHPian

Quote:
VIEWER DISCRETION

https://twitter.com/Prateek34381357/...zKKUns1GQ&s=19
Watching this video question about my decision to drive scooter inside city. Doesn't feel safe anywhere these days!

Lives lost and accused got bail. Happens as per the template of the rich and influential!
xcentrk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 13:52   #40662
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

In Continuation with the above post on Risk Assessment:

If a person who goes through 25% of the Videos collected on this thread to assess possibilities of accident risk

Would not our minds start to develop what psychiatrist term as "Vicarious Traumatization" or Secondary Traumatization?

This can make our minds overcautious to potential danger, even in situations of minimal risk, thus leading to anxiety which is the beginning towards PTSD (not saying that these Videos will cause PTSD)

This will impair our existing abilities an may contribute to a error.

Those regular on this thread any tips how you assess risk types yet avoid exposure to potential anxiety? How do you personally find a balance

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th June 2024 at 13:54. Reason: Correcting acronym.
BSASLR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 14:55   #40663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
This incident occurred in Gandhinagar, Gujarat, where a high-speed ScorpioN made an aggressive lane change and collided with a concrete barrier.
Shouldn't the slow moving cars not be on the fast lane?

If the slow moving cars were moving on the left or middle lane would the Scorpio N not met with that accident? It's visible that the Scorpio was rolling as it overtook the car in the middle lane and the driver corrected and re-corrected only to hit the concrete barrier.

The Scorpio N was going at high speed. But that's why the high speed right lane is for.

The Scorpio N driver could be at fault for driving the car at high speed (probably higher than the prescribed speed limit). That's an offence. That said, what were the slow moving cars doing on the right/speed lane? Should it not be an offence too?.

Correct me if I am wrong.
The left lane is the slow lane
The middle lane is the moderate speed lane.
The right lane is essentially an overtaking lane. Once you over take, you return to the mid lane and continue.

So, the right lane will be generally unoccupied unless a car is overtaking a car in the middle lane.

Suppose, If the car is at high speed (say at the road speed limit. Tops), then perhaps could they continue on the right,/ speed / overtaking lane?

Last edited by ashkamath : 24th June 2024 at 14:56.
ashkamath is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 15:16   #40664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Shouldn't the slow moving cars not be on the fast lane?
This move is unheard of for most drivers in India as they are not aware of their surroundings. They would happily cruise at their desired speeds in the fast lane. Wanna overtake? Please change your lane, but I will not move!
Quote:
If the slow moving cars were moving on the left or middle lane would the Scorpio N not met with that accident?
It was bound to happen some or the other day. The driver was in the Big Daddy ScorpioN but lest he forgot the real daddy: Physics! You can’t go against it or defy it.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 15:40   #40665
BHPian

Risk assessment (RA) as such is a continuously evolving process.

The reason for the above statement is because RA is limited to an individual's capability to identify hazards, his experiences in the past and the statistical data available across the industry.

With each new incident a new hazard is added to the activity and hence a need for a new barrier.

For example 9/11 incident lead to new procedures in aviation security and travel.

26/11 lead to a new approach as how we guard our coastline.

The above two are examples of safety and security. There are plenty of examples related to economics e.g. procedures in share markets, policies in budget, riders in insurance sectors etc.

For driving on public roads, risk assessment becomes the responsibility of all the road users and the government/authority who builds roads.

"All road users" is a part which is the most difficult, because that will evolve and increase with education and awareness.

All said and explained, there is no barrier for HUMAN STUPIDITY. No one can protect himself or others from human stupidity.

If you think about the risks all the time it may develop into some kind of unease for sure.

So how do we deal with this?

We need to accept that there are a few things which are beyond our control, e.g. nature.

For all others we can evaluate the risk and prepare a plan to minimise it.

It's a little difficult to practice but an individual can reach a level where you can attain a healthy balance where you are continuously evaluating the risk and still not obsessed with it.

Or

As it is said, "Ignorance is bliss". Stay that way and deal with the situations as they come.

Personally, I do consider risks and prepare myself, however for a lot of people around me, including my parents, it seems like negative thinking.

I am not obsessed with it because I understand that there are somethings beyond my control, I choose the second approach for all such situations.

No one can be 100% aware about what's happening around, so by considering some factors and planning accordingly you can reduce the probability of harm happening to you.

Animals are the best examples to learn from. They deal with such situations on daily basis, have their guards in place to the best of their capability, and deal with situations as they develop around them.

Humans have become complacent due the so called "shield of social behaviour". I agree that most of us behave responsibly but it's those few of us who choose the other way cause the harm.

We have to make a choice.

Hope that helps to have a little clarity.

Cheers.

Last edited by Brumby : 24th June 2024 at 15:54. Reason: Correction of a word
Brumby is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks